disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:

I'm inclined to believe, however, that this sarcasm bug could be polluting your mind as well. :hmm:

I believe you are right. I did get that you were being sarcastic the first time, though. Just couldn't resist a follow up. ;)

dr. zooeuss said:
Green credits were purchased to offset comsumption and to ensure the event was carbon neutral.

This is only so much wanking. Not on your part dr. but all of this "purchasing credits" crap. No, sorry, but water, electricity, gas, etc was used. Credits or no credits, these are finite resources.

catlhere said:
I'm disappointed U2 didn't play.

But only because 90% of the line-up made my ears bleed.
Amen with that – ZOOTVTOURist has left the building and will take some sleep ...

" "Originally posted by dr. zooeuss
Green credits were purchased to offset comsumption and to ensure the event was carbon neutral."

"This is only so much wanking. Not on your part dr. but all of this "purchasing credits" crap. No, sorry, but water, electricity, gas, etc was used. Credits or no credits, these are finite resources." "

Thanks Martha,

Well that's the real desbate isn't it; whether we can introduce measures to counter-balance the impact we're having on the planet while maintaining the sort of lifestyle many of us are accustomed to, or whether we should just throw our hands up and wait for the world to end.

As with most things, I think the answer lies in finding a golden mean, balancing progress with responsibility. Water can be cleaned and reused, electricity can be generated by alternative sources- solar, wind, hydro, gas is finite but the things we use gas for can be fueled by other means.

Live Earth is a starting point and far from perfect but it opens the door to much-needed change.

Global Warming is a crock of shit! Al Gore makes me laugh. He couldn't become President so he jumps on this bandwagon so he can get his moment of fame! I can see the headlines now in 20 years time "Al Gore saves the planet!" Live Earth what a pile of crap. And the musicians with their bleeding hearts just trying to get their fizogs in front of a worldwide audience to sell yet more records. It really feels like global warming in the UK with our sweltering temperatures this summer. Oh hang on, no were supposed to get sweltering summers and siberians winters. Yeah right the last proper snow I saw in the UK must have been about 30 years ago. The absolute hilarious thing about that is during the 1970's the "Scientists" were actually spouting on about "global cooling" and the fact that for the previous 3 decades average worldwide temperatures had dropped. Yeah global warming its a great money spinner! Just got to go turn my heating on!:wink:

dr. zooeuss said:

Well that's the real desbate isn't it; whether we can introduce measures to counter-balance the impact we're having on the planet while maintaining the sort of lifestyle many of us are accustomed to, or whether we should just throw our hands up and wait for the world to end.

As with most things, I think the answer lies in finding a golden mean, balancing progress with responsibility. Water can be cleaned and reused, electricity can be generated by alternative sources- solar, wind, hydro, gas is finite but the things we use gas for can be fueled by other means.

I agree with this, but using "credits" is really mostly a way for the wealthy to feel good about all the resources they're using. I really think Live Earth was terribly misguided and caused more people to laugh and point at the hypocrisy, real or perceived.

I'd guess you're not interested in a real discussion, but if you are, you're going to have to make your sarcasm more distinguishable from your serious points.

(ie: The assertion that the UK hasn't seen a "proper snow" in 30 years doesn't do much to support your notion that "global warming is a crock of shit".)

It completely made sense to me why U2 did not play Live Earth. Bono at least is 100% committed to Africa. There are so many celebrities that jump from cause to cause to get thier name and new material out there. It is frustrating to me because it is hard to destinguish who is genuine and who just wants face time. I very much respect the fact that U2 (and maybe with Bono's urging) seems to stick with one major cause and commit fully to that.

"I agree with this, but using "credits" is really mostly a way for the wealthy to feel good about all the resources they're using. I really think Live Earth was terribly misguided and caused more people to laugh and point at the hypocrisy, real or perceived."

Of course you're entitled to that opinion, but thanks for keeping an open mind.

If the point of credits is a scientifically measurable offset of the ill effects of CO2 released into the atmosphere, isn't that more important than whether or not "the wealthy feel good"?

It is easy to point fingers and say "hypocrite." If you really mean it, you need to back up your point with convincing evidence. The burden of proof is on both sides.

Al Gore isn't on a bandwagon. He's been involved in this issue long before he ran for president. Reference his book Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit and note the date it came out.

Nice try, though.

Last edited:
dr. zooeuss said:
I'd guess you're not interested in a real discussion, but if you are, you're going to have to make your sarcasm more distinguishable from your serious points.

(ie: The assertion that the UK hasn't seen a "proper snow" in 30 years doesn't do much to support your notion that "global warming is a crock of shit".)

My whole point about stating that is the UK is not suffering sweltering summers and neither is it suffering siberian winters as we are supposed to be doing according to the global warming lobbyists. Most of these people need to champion the global warming cause cos if they didn't then they would be out of a job! As for the bleeding heart pop stars urging the fans to not use their cars so much and then hopping in their private jets to go shopping!:wink:

dr. zooeuss said:
Of course you're entitled to that opinion, but thanks for keeping an open mind.

If the point of credits is a scientifically measurable offset of the ill effects of CO2 released into the atmosphere, isn't that more important than whether or not "the wealthy feel good"?

It is easy to point fingers and say "hypocrite." If you really mean it, you need to back up your point with convincing evidence. The burden of proof is on both sides.

I'm not calling anyone a hypocrite. Go back and reread my post. (And please start using the quote button.)

martha said:

Who employs these "lobbyists" as you call them? What jobs would they be out of?

Who do you think comes out with all these reports and in depth analysis of the climate change. Do you think they do it for nothing or its their hobby? Global warming is big business. Theres a lot of government funding involved in all the scientific research from a lot of countries.

If you live in the UK I'm sure you know the specifics of the weather there more than I do, but there are many parts of the globe experiencing climate change.

Evidence of two of the most extreme examples are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Chad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retreat_of_glaciers_since_1850

As much as George Bush has been in denial of this issue for most of his presidency, and as much as he benefits from denying it due to vested interest in the oil industry, even he has admitted the need to make changes:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/05/20070531-13.html

This is no longer as much a partisan issue as some people seem to think it is. The facts are here, and the bigger rift seems to be between people who are ready, committed and educated on what changes are needed, and those who are just now lifting their heads out of the sand. None of us is perfect, but we all need to acknowledge the problem and act to address it before it becomes more serius and difficult to reverse.

I welcome your arguments, but please back them up with some evidence and research. Thanks.

rjhbonovox said:

Who do you think comes out with all these reports and in depth analysis of the climate change. Do you think they do it for nothing or its their hobby? Global warming is big business. Theres a lot of government funding involved in all the scientific research from a lot of countries.

Why don't you tell us. Give us specifics, actual names and employers.

martha said:

I'm not calling anyone a hypocrite. Go back and reread my post. (And please start using the quote button.)

Ah, thanks. I'd been meaning to use the quote button, but temporarily forgot where it was until you prompted me to look for it again.. thanks for calling me on it.

You're right, I misread your use of te word "hypocrisy" –my mistake. It's hard to keep some of the postings straight at the beginning of a discussion like this, and not everyone here takes these discussions seriously.

Thank you for doing so.

I like how when U2 appears on behalf of certain charities and aid orgs everyone whines that they are becoming too invested in humanitarian work and/or politics, but when U2 don't play at Live Earth then they just don't care and should be more involved in humanitarian work and/or politics. :huh:

Liesje said:
I like how when U2 appears on behalf of certain charities and aid orgs everyone whines that they are becoming too invested in humanitarian work and/or politics, but when U2 don't play at Live Earth then they just don't care and should be more involved in humanitarian work and/or politics. :huh:

all while complaining for a new album.

corianderstem said:
Al Gore isn't on a bandwagon. He's been involved in this issue long before he ran for president. Reference his book Earth in the Balance: Ecology and the Human Spirit and note the date it came out.

Nice try, though.

thank you again cori.. Yes folks.. Al Gore has been involved in this for many years..

and for those who are lazy.. the book was published in 1992.

"Earth in the Balance"

Kudos to you both.

;)

Our discussion seems to have died though doesn't it.

...would this have been more suitable for the "Free Your Mind" section?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Funny thread...

seriousthread.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom