Did U2 Jump The Shark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tons of replies doesn't mean a thing here, just look around. And no where did I say you weren't a fan or you don't think critical...

Just transparent. Did they jump the shark, how much plastic surgery have they had, does their religion reflect upon their intelligence, etc... You aren't very interested in talking about the music as much as you are about stirring things...

Hi-

I would love to talk about the music itself. It's just that the discussions here regarding the music are not that interesting to me. I like to check the tech threads re: Edge's guitar and stuff, but other than that, there is nothing too original happening here in terms of discussing their music. If there is something you'd like to discuss, musically speaking, put up a good topic and I promise to respond nicely and honestly.

JON

What seems odd to me, why ask a question in a thread, and then as reply post the answer? :huh: usually when someone asks a question they want to know something, this just seems like another way to get your opinion on the internet.

What seems odd to me, why ask a question in a thread, and then as reply post the answer? :huh: usually when someone asks a question they want to know something, this just seems like another way to get your opinion on the internet.

I wrote an answer to my own question because nobody was answering my original question and I was attempting to get the thread back on topic by giving an example of what I was looking for in an answer.

Thanks Jon.

The Shark.

I think 3 No 1s off No Line on the Horizon will keep the shart in it's cage for another 5 years.

Two albums ago, U2 had 2 Records of the Year on their Album.

Pretty good pedigree.

Not a shark, more like a goldfish.

Winning Grammys is no proof of quality. Grammy voters are notorious for honoring safe, mainstream music over truly exciting music that doesn't happen to have the sales numbers. If anything, to me U2's racking in so many Grammys since releasing ATYCLB reflects how they've jumped the shark. I know they won some Grammys before ATYCLB, but the number they've won since 2000 dwarfs the number they won before then.

Winning Grammys is no proof of quality. Grammy voters are notorious for honoring safe, mainstream music over truly exciting music that doesn't happen to have the sales numbers. If anything, to me U2's racking in so many Grammys since releasing ATYCLB reflects how they've jumped the shark. I know they won some Grammys before ATYCLB, but the number they've won since 2000 dwarfs the number they won before then.

Grammys prove who is the best

U2 and Stevie Wonder have the most of all time

2 Albums of the year

2 Records of the Year

2 Songs of the Year

Scoreboard, Scoreboard,Scoreboard, Scoreboard,
Scoreboard, Scoreboard,Scoreboard, Scoreboard,Scoreboard, Scoreboard,Scoreboard, Scoreboard,Scoreboard, Scoreboard,

WE WIN!

U2

THE BEST OF ALL TIME

Sweetest Thing remix in 1998. They made an old song slightly poppier to increase sales for a Greatest Hits. Those bastards. :tsk:

The spirit of Jumping The Shark is going to extremes to keep a dying show alive. U2's career is winding down and burning out but while they are doing anything to sell records and win awards they haven't really done anything that drastic. The band is lost right now in my opinion but a lot of shows get that way towards the end of their run. They just have to go out with a bang. You know a great series finale that reminds you of why you loved them in the first place.

"Five card stud, nothing wild, and the sky's the limit." :up:

Even Next Gen got a little tired by the last season, but it happens.

Sweetest Thing remix in 1998. They made an old song slightly poppier to increase sales for a Greatest Hits. Those bastards. :tsk:

Jumping the shark is a colloquialism used by U.S. TV critics and fans to denote that point in a TV show or movie series' history where the plot veers off into ridiculous story lines or out-of-the-ordinary characterizations, undergoing too many changes to retain the original appeal of the series. Shows that have "jumped the shark" are typically deemed to have passed their peak as after this point critical fans can point to a noticeable decline in the show's overall quality.

The term is an allusion to a scene in a 1977 episode of the TV series Happy Days when the popular character Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli literally jumps over a shark while water skiing. The scene was considered so preposterous that many believed it to be an attempt at reviving the declining ratings of the flagging show. Indeed, not only was Happy Days reflecting the superstardom of real-life shark-jumper Evel Knievel in the episode, but the series was wildly successful in 1977.

Jump-the-shark moments may be scenes like the one described above that finally convince viewers that the show has fundamentally and permanently strayed from its original premise. In those cases they are viewed as a desperate and futile attempt to keep a series fresh in the face of declining ratings. In other cases the departure or replacement of a main cast member or character, or a significant change in setting, changes a critical dynamic of the show. These changes are often attempts to attract their fans' waning attention with over-the-top statements or increasingly overt appeals to sex or violence.

Ey!!!

Nuking the fridge is a colloquialism used by some film critics and fans and has a meaning similar to jumping the shark. It is used to denote the point in a movie or movie series (usually one with a pre-established tone of only semi-seriousness) at which the characters or plot veer into an over-the-top level of the ridiculous or incredible, thus leaving one feeling alienated from the film or series, due to the breaking of suspension of disbelief. A series that "nukes the fridge" is typically deemed to have passed its peak, changing the tone of the series so far that viewers see it as having fundamentally and permanently strayed from its original premise. After this point in the filmmakers' attempt to keep the story fresh, critical fans often sense a noticeable decline in quality.

The term is an allusion to a scene in the film Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull of the Indiana Jones franchise, first released worldwide on May 22, 2008. In this scene, the title character is literally hit by the blast of a nuclear weapon while hiding inside a lead-lined refrigerator in a desperate attempt at survival. The fridge is hurled a great distance through the sky, while the remaining structures surrounding it are obliterated, and tumbles hard to the ground, whereupon an uninjured Jones emerges to witness the mushroom cloud miles away. Fans of the series and film critics found the absurdity of this event disappointing and reflective of the decreasing quality of the series, and adopted the term "nuke the fridge".

Doh!

Jumping the shark is a colloquialism used by U.S. TV critics and fans to denote that point in a TV show or movie series' history where the plot veers off into ridiculous story lines or out-of-the-ordinary characterizations, undergoing too many changes to retain the original appeal of the series. Shows that have "jumped the shark" are typically deemed to have passed their peak as after this point critical fans can point to a noticeable decline in the show's overall quality.

The term is an allusion to a scene in a 1977 episode of the TV series Happy Days when the popular character Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli literally jumps over a shark while water skiing. The scene was considered so preposterous that many believed it to be an attempt at reviving the declining ratings of the flagging show. Indeed, not only was Happy Days reflecting the superstardom of real-life shark-jumper Evel Knievel in the episode, but the series was wildly successful in 1977.

Jump-the-shark moments may be scenes like the one described above that finally convince viewers that the show has fundamentally and permanently strayed from its original premise. In those cases they are viewed as a desperate and futile attempt to keep a series fresh in the face of declining ratings. In other cases the departure or replacement of a main cast member or character, or a significant change in setting, changes a critical dynamic of the show. These changes are often attempts to attract their fans' waning attention with over-the-top statements or increasingly overt appeals to sex or violence.

Ey!!!

Nuking the fridge is a colloquialism used by some film critics and fans and has a meaning similar to jumping the shark. It is used to denote the point in a movie or movie series (usually one with a pre-established tone of only semi-seriousness) at which the characters or plot veer into an over-the-top level of the ridiculous or incredible, thus leaving one feeling alienated from the film or series, due to the breaking of suspension of disbelief. A series that "nukes the fridge" is typically deemed to have passed its peak, changing the tone of the series so far that viewers see it as having fundamentally and permanently strayed from its original premise. After this point in the filmmakers' attempt to keep the story fresh, critical fans often sense a noticeable decline in quality.

The term is an allusion to a scene in the film Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull of the Indiana Jones franchise, first released worldwide on May 22, 2008. In this scene, the title character is literally hit by the blast of a nuclear weapon while hiding inside a lead-lined refrigerator in a desperate attempt at survival. The fridge is hurled a great distance through the sky, while the remaining structures surrounding it are obliterated, and tumbles hard to the ground, whereupon an uninjured Jones emerges to witness the mushroom cloud miles away. Fans of the series and film critics found the absurdity of this event disappointing and reflective of the decreasing quality of the series, and adopted the term "nuke the fridge".

Doh!

it's a good thing you cleared this up... just between you and me, I don't think people were taking this very seriously until now :shh:

He is not as thin and sleek as the lead singer of this band.

CONCERT.TV - U2

Bono's best work is his dark stuff rather than his fluffy stuff.

The more dark his lyrics, the better the song.

I like the bad Bono rather than the good Bono.

The darker, more sinister Bono.

Even One is a dark sort of song.

The Fly is a dark song.

With or Without You is a dark song.

Sunday Bloody Sunday is dark.

Too many light and fluffy songs on the last albums.

But more and more he hides this character to the detrement of the band known as U2.

"Bass player dance with me....dance with me!"

He is not as thin and sleek as the lead singer of this band.

CONCERT.TV - U2

Bono's best work is his dark stuff rather than his fluffy stuff.

The more dark his lyrics, the better the song.

I like the bad Bono rather than the good Bono.

The darker, more sinister Bono.

Even One is a dark sort of song.

The Fly is a dark song.

With or Without You is a dark song.

Sunday Bloody Sunday is dark.

Too many light and fluffy songs on the last albums.

But more and more he hides this character to the detrement of the band known as U2.

"Bass player dance with me....dance with me!"

why did you post this in two threads?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom