Did South Park poke fun at Bono a few years ago?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See, I find Chaser's to be mostly uninspired - I think most Australian comedy is in a really bad state right now. But I still admit Chaser's is like Fawlty Towers compared to the likes of Rove, Dave Hughes and Akhmal. Ugh! I know funnier people who aren't comedians for a living. How they got their jobs is beyond me. To be fair though, the UK isn't bringing out anything that funny these days either - I'd say the US has got the upperhand right now, even if they're hit and miss (but Arrested Development was the funniest show from this decade, so it's an auto-win).

As for Micallef - great in the nineties (particularly when on Full Frontal, he carried the show by himself), mostly bad this decade. But the Late Show just ruled. Charlie the Wonder Dog. :love:

John, come to Australia, we don't usually argue about comedy, we spend more time cooking barbecues and drinking wine. :up:

The U.K isn't bringing out much of anything. Ugh! It disgusts me. The land of Shakespeare! (I am English :reject:, it makes me ashamed). Life on Mars was good; funny, clever, interesting, original, well-performed). The U.S is DECADES ahead in television, possibly NOT film, though they certainly make a lot (of shit) but SOME of the television series are phenomenal. Some of the best writing taking place in the world today, in my opinion. Arrested Development was brilliant. Topical, insightful, hilarious. I haven't even watched much of it, but totally agree with you on that :up::up::up:

Not sure about barbecues or wine but do all Austrailians have such good taste? I always thought Australia, as a continent was pretty culturally devoid :sexywink: Lots of 'real' men in the 'outback' drinking beer :beer: and being ignorant and chauvanistic. But maybe I am wrong?

Am I the ignorant one here? It is quite possible! :lmao:

to me, the reason the episode was so funny was because 1) it made fun of Bono pretty well and 2) it also made fun of all the people who hate Bono. the incredulous and completely stupid 'revelation' about Bono at the end of the episode really seems like the only reason anyone could have for hating Bono. that is, there really is no good reason for it. Stan and Kyle are the smartest ones on the show, but their conclusions aren't always correct. what better way for the writers to slide in some really hidden sarcasm by using the only two intelligent characters on the entire show?

South Park is a show that directs its audience to kids around my age. (15) to watch the show you need a really good sense of humor, and i don't mean that negatively to people who dont find it funny, but like to an almost immature sense of humor and i dont mean that negatively either. I am a huge bono and U2 fan and i personally thought it was hilarious.

i'm not sure if this is true.

Not sure about barbecues or wine but do all Austrailians have such good taste? I always thought Australia, as a continent was pretty culturally devoid :sexywink: Lots of 'real' men in the 'outback' drinking beer :beer: and being ignorant and chauvanistic. But maybe I am wrong?

:lol: Not many people live in the outback, all the cities are coastal and there's more variety than the stereotypical outlander - we have terms for such people comparable to "rednecks" of the US. The state I live in wasn't even founded by convicts, and produces some of the most famous wine in the world. ;) Of course, there are still a lot of tossers here.

i'm not sure if this is true.

It's not. Maybe it was in 1997, but little does tps realise, South Park has changed since then.

It's true. It was pretty stupid, but then South Park isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

it's actually one of the smartest shows in all of television and offers up some of the best social commentary around. it's a layered comedy that disguises the intelligence with fart and poop jokes.

some can't see past the poop jokes though and just say it's stupid and immature.

check out the "cartoon wars" or "imaginationland" episodes. perhaps the bi-curious camp episode. if you still feel the show is just stupid toilet humor aimed at the lowest common denominator, well then... i don't know what to tell you. you probably find jay leno funny.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/1003/

Back
Top Bottom