Did Bono's vocals really deteriate or is he saving them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
After the Zoo TV, Bono had difficulty singing such songs as Pride, most noticably "April SKY" and Still Haven't Found, or could not reach the falsetto in One.

Zoo TV had Mysterious Ways, which featured a falsetto type of introduction and "Sees the man inside the CHILD"

But it seemed after that, he struggled with many songs. What happened to the high yelling, falsetto Bono that we came to know and love in the 80s?

Some say that he had surgery, others a voice coach. I wonder if he could sing like he has during the Joshua Tree... or if that would really strain his vocals?

The song that they play before U2 comes on stage is called "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire.

Wow these threads get old...:rolleyes:

theu2fly said:
After the Zoo TV, Bono had difficulty singing such songs as Pride, most noticably "April SKY" and Still Haven't Found, or could not reach the falsetto in One.

He's never been able to sing Pride, even on the UF tour...

Originally posted by theu2fly
Zoo TV had Mysterious Ways, which featured a falsetto type of introduction and "Sees the man inside the CHILD"

But it seemed after that, he struggled with many songs. What happened to the high yelling, falsetto Bono that we came to know and love in the 80s?

Some say that he had surgery, others a voice coach. I wonder if he could sing like he has during the Joshua Tree... or if that would really strain his vocals?

Yes he had surgery. But Bono's singing was not that great during JT. It's extremely overated. Most of the high notes were hit using a falsetto, it's just not your typical falsetto; it's what many in here refer to as the "kermit voice". His singing on the last two tours, some legs better than others, has been the best of his career so far.

Being serious for a second, yeah, Bono was basically wrecking his voice during the latter part of JT and all of Lovetown. When you use your chest voice (the middle one, dear) to try and hit notes in the falsetto range, you're eventually going to hurt your voice (see latter day Robert Plant, current Axel Rose, etc).

Smoking and relentless touring doesn't help, either :wink:

He's Bono...

His singing style is his own...my voice coach even comments his powerful voice to this day...

Sing a new song//

To do the relentless touring that he does, I think he saves his voice on some songs just to belt out others, because he still can belt out a song and still has an awsome voice. :drool:

JCOSTER said:
To do the relentless touring that he does, I think he saves his voice on some songs just to belt out others, because he still can belt out a song and still has an awsome voice. :drool:

This is a great point, one which I would endorse because hearing him in SYCMIOYO and Miss Sarejevo is just awesome. I saw these guys a bunch of times on Vertigo Tour and to really heaar him hit those notes in Miss Sarejevo sent chills through me - I just didn't think he had it in him anymore.

His voice has aged a little over the years, smoking, touring, changing it intentionally, etc. - it all adds up to a different sound.

The sound of his voice has changed over the years. Compare JT/LT to ZooTV ... very different (perfect example of JT - Rattle and Hum version of BTBS, first verse - while an exxageration of his general voice, he did that a lot). It just happens.

If his voice didn't change I would be scared... Brcause it's not normal! Believe it or not he's just a man:wink:

YBORCITYOBL said:

This is a great point, one which I would endorse because hearing him in SYCMIOYO and Miss Sarejevo is just awesome. I saw these guys a bunch of times on Vertigo Tour and to really heaar him hit those notes in Miss Sarejevo sent chills through me - I just didn't think he had it in him anymore.

I couldn't agree more. Specially Miss Sarajevo... it made me cry at the concert. I wasn't expecting it to be like that because I refused to listen to it before. They had already played it in some concerts and I knew about it but I just didn't want to listen to it... And what a surprise it was...

I think songs like 'Bullet The Blue Sky' would be better if Bono had that Kermit voice to it...

annie_vox said:
If his voice didn't change I would be scared... Brcause it's not normal! Believe it or not he's just a man:wink:

I couldn't agree more. Specially Miss Sarajevo... it made me cry at the concert. I wasn't expecting it to be like that because I refused to listen to it before. They had already played it in some concerts and I knew about it but I just didn't want to listen to it... And what a surprise it was...

Yes.

Afterall, when Bob died he gave his voice to Bono...so the change is perfect.

You wouldn't think Bono was saving his vocals if you listened to the bootlegs from 1989-12-18, Amsterdam or 1997-09-23, Sarajevo. It's plainly obvious his voice was deteriorating.

Why would anyone want any singers voice to remain the same? Bono's voice has changed over the years due to a number of things and I've been a fan through it all. It wasn't until I heard Miss Sarajevo live this past tour that I knew he'd reached his perfection hitting and holding those incredible notes. I wish he would stop smoking so much. It makes his voice more raspy.

His vocals in general are obviously deteriorating. I'm talking physically. He's abused his vocal chords so much I'm impressed he sings as well as he does. His technique has been steadily improving since post-PopMart Tour. He's singing with his chest and not his sinuses, thank God. Too bad all the smoking, drinking, and over-use of his vocal chords have already damaged his voice (although a lot of people like the raspiness).

I was actually surprised how well his voice sounded in 2004 and during most of the Vertigo tour 2005. During the 2006 leg, however, it started to sound awful again. Too much stress and too much touring, no wonder it's taking a toll on his voice. Sometimes I think it's a miracle he is still able to sing after all of this. His lifestyle isn't exacly helpful. But I think he can get back to a very good voice when he has a little rest. So let's hope for the best when the tour finally continues.

I don't think we should worry about Bonos voice, here a list of proof.

"Feel" part in Vertigo
"Sing" part in SYCMIOYO
"Free" part in Native Son
"You love me" and "Fear, nothing" part in Mercy
"Amour" part In Miss Sarajevo
"Wide Awake" part in Bad(3rd leg) Sometimes he hit a high C
"Come On Now Love, Don't You Look Back" in "WGHYWH"(Dublin)
Discotheque(3rd leg) The whole song is incredible
Angel Of Harlem(3rd leg) was incredible singing in.
"Dignity passes byyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" in Crumbs(3rd leg)
Beautiful Day vocals is so much stronger
Bono is now singing WTSHNN is its orignal key.
Electric Co
I Will Follow(Brooklyn Bridge)
ISHFWILF(Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame)

I think he is holding back his voice in some songs in the latest tour: BTBS, The Fly and SBS. He sang those muh stronger on the Elevation tour and he had a much weaker voice on that tour or could it be that he has lost som range and got stronger in some since Elevation? His voice has gotten stronger and stronger after 2000, so what says that it can't contunie to get stronger and better?

Reggie Thee Dog said:
He's saving it in his back pocket...just waiting for the right time to use it...maybe he used it to record with Tony Bennett...then again, maybe not.

:huh:

Dude, he doesn't keep it in his back pocket - for shame

He keeps it in his Utility Belt he wears 24/7

:wink:

Of course he can't sing like he did 20 years ago. I bet even opera singers can't do it.

Considering the smoking and the screaming style he was using and the crazy touring schedules I'm surprised he has any voice left. No worries though, he sounded better on Vertigo tour than 4 or 8 years ago.

That said there are rumours about a throat surgery AND a vocal coach.

I always wonder why people think he sounded so bad at the POPmart tour, i thought he was great.

Maybe im playing the wrong bootlegs but too me that was great, he was doing a lot more singing.

These days Bono really seems to be "saving" his voice, just sticking to the songs not really changing it.

But i also heard Vertigo bootlegs where he just sang like he did 10 years ago, for example the time he did Discotheque. Now that was something special.

I think it depends on the feeling they have in a gig.

Peterrrrr said:
I don't think we should worry about Bonos voice, here a list of proof.

"Feel" part in Vertigo
"Sing" part in SYCMIOYO
"Free" part in Native Son
"You love me" and "Fear, nothing" part in Mercy
"Amour" part In Miss Sarajevo
"Wide Awake" part in Bad(3rd leg) Sometimes he hit a high C
"Come On Now Love, Don't You Look Back" in "WGHYWH"(Dublin)
Discotheque(3rd leg) The whole song is incredible
Angel Of Harlem(3rd leg) was incredible singing in.
"Dignity passes byyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" in Crumbs(3rd leg)
Beautiful Day vocals is so much stronger
Bono is now singing WTSHNN is its orignal key.
Electric Co
I Will Follow(Brooklyn Bridge)
ISHFWILF(Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame)

I think he is holding back his voice in some songs in the latest tour: BTBS, The Fly and SBS. He sang those muh stronger on the Elevation tour and he had a much weaker voice on that tour or could it be that he has lost som range and got stronger in some since Elevation? His voice has gotten stronger and stronger after 2000, so what says that it can't contunie to get stronger and better?

Great examples here..........

schnumi said:
I always wonder why people think he sounded so bad at the POPmart tour, i thought he was great.

Maybe im playing the wrong bootlegs but too me that was great, he was doing a lot more singing.

Like I said earlier, listen to 1997-09-23, Sarajevo. His voice is absolutely shot at that show.

Axver said:

Like I said earlier, listen to 1997-09-23, Sarajevo. His voice is absolutely shot at that show.

So what you are saying is - this never happens to other artist at one time or another? and if so they should no longer sing or perform again if they don't sound the same every 5,10 or 20 years..

by all means lets rake Bono over the coals, now & Forever, for not being able to sound the way he did for the for this concert. :shocked:

He isn't human after all and should be better.

Under your requirements, U2 should call it quits .. and ... fade away because they make mistakes??

Sorry Axver, I just don't think you understand what you want and what you think U2 owes you..

Back
Top Bottom