Desert Island Album Game III: Rules and Sign-up Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap.

I said I was going to try and finish this before work today, but I got called in today to work a fucking double and I just got home. I'm wiped. I don't currently have the energy or the attention span to type up my formatted list and upload stuff tonight. Tomorrow though. I promise. ;)

I can't wait to see all the lists this round. From the sound of things it's going to be quite the competition.

I've never even heard Muse, unless they were included on a previous desert island tracklisting :reject:

From Screwtape's email, I see a couple of songs I thought of using, or artists that I thought of including, but that didn't make the cut. And a couple of tracks are the same ones I picked (just 2 I think). I wanted The Verve-Bittersweet Symphony, but it just didn't fit. Still working on the order of the songs. Don't know if I can master the flow, yet along commentary and artwork :happy:

Axver said:

Hah. :up:

Muse are 10,000x more talented than those Radiohead clowns, though they're yet to make my quadrilogy in any form.

I'm really starting to miss the Prog Island game, where I was excited about every tracklist.

What....... no Il Volo on any of the lists? :wink:

hardyharhar said:

What....... no Il Volo on any of the lists? :wink:

Not even any Dream Theater. :(

I do hope you're having some input on Lila's list. :wink:

corianderstem said:
Is that like Il Divo, but more reliable and securely built?
:lmao:

i think i'm done adding songs to my playlist, i just have to come up with an order. that shouldn't take long. i hope to have everything submitted by monday. :)

also, i'm working on my cover. i have a question though. looking at people's submissions...for those of you who didn't do a square cover (like say, 400 x 400 pixels) did you do it so it would fit on the front and back? mine wouldn't work like that anyway but i was surprised to see so many rectangular covers!

Axver said:

No, not really. He just nixed some songs. Funny how a couple appeared on a few lists (Tangerine). I may still have the same artist, but chose different songs by that artist. He's probably wishing he was competing :shifty:

And no, Il Divo is nothing like Il Volo. Trust me!

BTW, what if someone in the competition is out of town while the competition is in effect? We will be out of town for a few days in early August with no computer access. Can we cast our vote to Axver or Screwtape? What do we do? I'm mainly concerned with my heats of course :wink:

Lila64 said:

BTW, what if someone in the competition is out of town while the competition is in effect? We will be out of town for a few days in early August with no computer access. Can we cast our vote to Axver or Screwtape? What do we do? I'm mainly concerned with my heats of course :wink:

Of course. You'd just leave a list of who you'd vote for in each match. :)

LemonMelon said:
A lot of good-looking lists there, but I swear, if I see anymore Muse tracks on future lists, I'm going to be pissed. :lol: What happened to originality? :mad: (actually, it has nothing to do with that; I just think they're hacks :wink: )

:angry:

How can you say Muse are hacks? Have you seen them play? Matt Bellamy is my latest guitar hero :drool:

well, finished harry potter, so now I can deal with this :wink: (found the links in my spam folder...why does gmail hate the desert island competition? :( ) Looking forward to listening to all of these :up:

AtomicBono said:

:angry:

How can you say Muse are hacks? Have you seen them play? Matt Bellamy is my latest guitar hero :drool:

That dude can play a guitar, but songwriting isn't exactly his strong suit. Most of the songs sound the same to me: epic, overwrought, just a bunch of noise, etc...I can't help but burst out laughing at some of the lyrics. At least Radiohead and Queen have dynamics and aren't "gloom-n'-doom-n'-the end of the world" all the time. I mean, seriously, one listen to Take A Bow pretty much tells you all you need to know. :| If you hate that, don't even bother.

It's proving too hard for me because the time limit is far too long. Any chance for DI 4 we could reduce the time limit? I think it would be a really interesting game, and it would encourage more people to listen to other people's playlists.

COBL_04 said:
It's proving too hard for me because the time limit is far too long. Any chance for DI 4 we could reduce the time limit? I think it would be a really interesting game, and it would encourage more people to listen to other people's playlists.

No way, man. Some of us own 450+ CDs and have an incredibly difficult time breaking it down to that "far too long" time limit. :wink:

Axver said:

She'll do better without my help :wink:

No matter how hard I try, my lists always revert back to my suicidal tendencies in song selections, as far as votes are concerned :ohmy:

Axver - Before I purchase a Swingers cd on ebay, do you know anywhere it may be available for download? Been meaning to get it for a while now and don't wanna wait to transfer my lp to disc. And not just for Counting the Beat, love the whole record. Quirky, but hooks galore :drool:

COBL_04 said:

A couple 20 minute songs by some old hippies (Allman Bros, Pink Floyd, Yes, even Porcupine Tree or Tool or Dream Theater, you get the idea) should do the trick for you. :wink:

On the other hand, getting more people to listen should be the goal. Would more people listen if the sets were shorter? Maybe a thread to find out. :hmm:

LemonMelon said:

That dude can play a guitar, but songwriting isn't exactly his strong suit. Most of the songs sound the same to me: epic, overwrought, just a bunch of noise, etc...I can't help but burst out laughing at some of the lyrics. At least Radiohead and Queen have dynamics and aren't "gloom-n'-doom-n'-the end of the world" all the time. I mean, seriously, one listen to Take A Bow pretty much tells you all you need to know. :| If you hate that, don't even bother.

who cares about the lyrics, honestly? They don't bother me much. I enjoy some of them. I wouldn't say Take a Bow is one of their best anyway - I'm all about stuff like Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome, Assassin, Hyper Music, Plug In Baby, Citzen Erased, Map of the Problematique, The Small Print, Time is Running Out, Exo-Politics, Dead Star, New Born, etc...in other words...songs that fuckin ROCK :rockon:

I'd say in general Muse's slower stuff isn't their strong suit, but there are some exceptions - Sing for Absolution is beautiful, and I do love Starlight. But Invincible? Soldier's Poem? Let's not.

also, when has Radiohead ever deviated from doom and gloom? :wink: I do love Radiohead, but they certainly sway on one end of the emotional spectrum, much moreso than Muse.

Anyway, I'm downloading all these playlists and it's crazy. Prolly won't listen to 'em til tomorrow and of course it'll take me awhile, but it'll be fun :up: GOOD FOR ALL OF YOU FOR USING MUSE TRACKS :wink:

LemonMelon said:

You know, to have a fair discussion about Muse, we really need to just ignore the complete shitfest that is Black Holes And Revelations. So there goes your Take A Bow comment. Not a single good song on that album and I have no fucking clue what some of you see in Knights Of Cydonia.

COBL_04 said:

... too ... long?

Yeah, no. Most of us have an attention span.

hardyharhar said:
She'll do better without my help :wink:

No matter how hard I try, my lists always revert back to my suicidal tendencies in song selections, as far as votes are concerned :ohmy:

Axver - Before I purchase a Swingers cd on ebay, do you know anywhere it may be available for download? Been meaning to get it for a while now and don't wanna wait to transfer my lp to disc. And not just for Counting the Beat, love the whole record. Quirky, but hooks galore :drool:

:lol: But who cares about votes when creating great art? :drool:

I've had no luck with finding anything other than an MP3 of Counting The Beat, the song. I'd love to have some more, but the best I can do is videos on YouTube. :(

Lila64 said:
can you PM or email me that Swingers track for now? Something to appease the man :wink:

Oh shit, I forgot to do that when you first asked! Coming right up. :)

And Khan, what three do you have?

feel free to PM or email any and all to me :) Thanks! :wink:

I've tried downloading Screwtape's file, part 1 of 2 zip, and it won't let me open the zip file or try extracting it. I've tried twice now - don't know why it won't let me extract it. Anyone else have a problem? :scratch:

Last edited:
Axver said:
And Khan, what three do you have?
i have counting the beat, all over town, and certain sound. i've only listened to the other two once so i don't really remember what they sound like.

btw, just as an aside, i'm about to submit everything as soon as my last part finishes uploading! :)

Huh, I don't think I know those other two. I'd certainly like to hear them though!

... too ... long?

Yeah, no. Most of us have an attention span.

You didn't have to be rude, I was only asking. It's got nothing to do with attention span. I just know there would be absolutely no chance of me finding any time to listen to sixteen four hour playlists, assesing them, relistening to them to adapt to them and decide on which has better flow, cohesion, songs, blah blah blah. I don't know how anyone can find the time. And it proved a problem in the prog game so :shrug:

Axver said:
Huh, I don't think I know those other two. I'd certainly like to hear them though!
yeah, i think they were just singles. they're not on practical jokers.

you should check out the album other enz: split enz and beyond, it's got at least one song from just about any body to come out of split enz. there's crowded house of course, schnell fenster, eddie rayner, etc.

Axver said:

You know, to have a fair discussion about Muse, we really need to just ignore the complete shitfest that is Black Holes And Revelations. So there goes your Take A Bow comment. Not a single good song on that album and I have no fucking clue what some of you see in Knights Of Cydonia.

Dude the last couple minutes of Knights of Cydonia make the song worth it...but it's by no means the best song on the album. That would be Map of the Problematique :drool:

BHAR is probably their weakest album (that I've heard at least, I don't have Showbiz yet...), but it's growing on me. Really the only tracks I don't bother with at all are Soldier's Poem and Invincible. Take a Bow and Hoodoo are mediocre. The rest are pretty solid.

as for the time limit thing... 2 hours 40 minutes is nothin for MAKING a playlist, but I agree that it can be hard to find time to listen to everyone else's...but that's why Screwtape is sending out some early. it's not like you have to listen to them all at once :shrug: i guess it can be hard to measure the cohesion factor though, if you don't have lots of free 2 hour 40 minute blocks in your day :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom