Deerhunter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've only listened to their latest album.
The first few listens I thought it was ordinary.
But now I absolutely love it. There are some amazing things happening on both discs.
My favourites from Microcastle:
Agoraphobia
Nothing Ever Happened
Never Stops

Favourites from Weird Era Cont
Slow Swords
Calvary Scars II/Aux Out
Operation

As a whole both are solid right through.

So, for those who downloaded the leak, how are you feeling about Halcyon Digest?

The wankfest over it at rateyourmusic is both intriguing and disappointing to me, as I was slightly disappointed on first listen and am not quite hearing the magic. The production (even on the leak, yeah) is on par with Microcastle, but the songs don't feel fleshed out to me; they're a bit throwaway. Microcastle -- outside of a instrumental-leaden center -- was one of the most fully-realized, vibrant pop albums I had heard in a long time, and I still adore it. HD, while more consistent overall, doesn't strike me as grand or ambitious, so it didn't exactly leave the strongest first impression. Does that mean it's bad? No, not at all. As a matter of fact, the end of the album is so good that I will always want to return to it. The anonymous material may start sounding great after a couple of listens too. I just don't get an identity from this one yet. "Very good transitional record" could be a passable description for it.

Best track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppNMVtE-3hU]

Thanks for that review, LemonMelon. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing this album later in the month. I'm probably one of the few who prefers Cryptograms to Microcastle, so I'm hoping that the somber atmospherics of the former are pronounced on Halcyon.

It's not as bold, I will say that. A great band settling into their duties as a tuneful indie group with a unique sound (and skill) that sets them apart from the pack. I hope that they make the production more lavish on the next record, the ideas a little bigger, and simply not concern themselves with any sort of avant garde mindfuckery; much like Animal Collective, they excel when they remember how good they are at pure pop. Certain bands just aren't meant for obscurity, and I think Deerhunter is one of them.

I have fallen asleep while trying to finish Microcastle three times, but as has been the case with all of their releases, there are nevertheless like 2-3 songs which I absolutely love. I just wish that they could throw together a whole record that I enjoyed that much, for once. I didn't even know that this was coming out. Maybe I'll hear it, at some point, and hope for the best.

So I just finished my second full listen to Halcyon Digest, and my impression has been overwhelmingly positive. It has tremendous variety within a sustained mood, which in my mind is always an impressive accomplishment.

Halfway through Halcyon Digest. This is more poppy than their last. I like it.

Do you find the album good, up close?

It seems nice on first listen. No specific songs really jumped out at me. I can think of other "chilled out background type of music" albums from 2010 that I liked more on the first spin, but it still seemed nice. I don't have anything incredibly positive to say about it, but I also don't have any complaints.

I agree with LM about Helicopter being the best song on the album, but I disagree with him about the realization of the songs. I think this album is better than Microcastle after listening to it about 15 times this week.

I haven't posted here much lately, but I wanted to add my praises for Halycon Digest. I loved Microcastle and I love this one, too. Hasn't left the cd player in my car since I bought it last week.

Desire Lines is probably my favorite too, so Mikal apparently isn't wrong about EVERYTHING.
Much to my chagrin.

Barlowdog, please repent of your ways and post more.

you know what u2popmofo? i think i rate this and the No Age album about the same.

For some reason I'm slightly disappointed in this. There's nothing I like as much as the best tracks from Cryptograms, the Fluorescent EP, or Microcastle. I still like it, it's just not very memorable for me, and doesn't catch my attention.

I vastly prefer the new Radio Dept. and Wild Nothing to this in regards to 2010 chillout / dream pop albums.

I vastly prefer the new Radio Dept. and Wild Nothing to this in regards to 2010 chillout / dream pop albums.

Wild Nothing was a very pleasant surprise for me, but I'm not sure that it warrants comparison to Halcyon. The latter is too unnerving for me to consider it a chill-out album.

I understand the criticism that no single track really stands out as an "excellent" track on Halcyon, but for me that is a major part of its charm - it has variety of style within the realm of consistent atmosphere.

Wild Nothing was a very pleasant surprise for me, but I'm not sure that it warrants comparison to Halcyon. The latter is too unnerving for me to consider it a chill-out album.

I understand the criticism that no single track really stands out as an "excellent" track on Halcyon, but for me that is a major part of its charm - it has variety of style within the realm of consistent atmosphere.

Yeah, both albums are great, but I don't hear that comparison at all. Halcyon is a lot more lucid; Gemini has a dreamy feel to it. And they're channeling different decades altogether.

Listen to both though, a lot.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I really liked the new one. I still prefer Microcastle, but I think Halcyon Digest is more consistent.

The beginning of Deisre Lines reminds me of Rebellion (Lies).

that was my first impression also. this album is really starting to grow on me. Deerhunter is actually becoming one of my favorite bands. mix in the Atlas Sound and Lotus Sound projects and they have a pretty impressive catalog so far!

Not sure what took me so long, but I finally came around to Halycon Digest in a major way today. It really hit the spot.

Not sure what took me so long, but I finally came around to Halycon Digest in a major way today. It really hit the spot.

Hoping this happens for me soon. Once I finally set down My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and start relistening to other 2010 records, it'll be at the top of the list.

Has it been mentioned that Helicopter is incredible? Because it is.

I didn't like it at first but now it's one of my favourites. Desire Lines is the best though.

Back
Top Bottom