Current Music scene makes it hard for U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
to make a record like the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby anymore

then again it is rare for an artist to have 2 very very good albums, most great artists tend to have 1 great record but tend to milk it for all its worth but following a similar formula of that 1 successful record

anyway because the current market has it, youre either a boy band, hiphop act or a pretentious annoying band that everyone on the atease radiohead msg board seems to bat away or youre destined to emotionally touch people with your indie music but you are supposed to remain poor to keep alive the concept that 'youre an artist! an artist is supposed to remain poor!'

anyway try as they might, u2 seems to have not found the right formula in order to marry that alternative scene with the very sad mainstream scene we have, because it looks like bono and the boys have bowed down to follow the rules for once, whilst trying to incorporate that u2 formula that everyone knows that they have

hmm... maybe it was so much easier back in 1987 or 1991?

maybe everyone had their view tilted about what making a good song is, especially since kurt cobain and seattle bands made sure good music had to sound depressing!

either way if the next u2 record is experimental yet good because they are not following the rules because thats the way u2 is supposed to do things! the mainstream wont buy it, if its poppy, which is more likely the case im going to have to hide the record when i talk to people who take their music more seriously!

its a no-win situation!

I never thought of it that way....

Personally, I really liked ATYCLB but if the new record sounds anything along the same lines (which it probably will), It'll probably be a success sales-wise but I don't think many of us will like it. I've always liked U2 because every album ( to me anyways) sounds much different than the last and hopefully they'll keep up with that!

U2 have never tried to be "indie" or "alternative." Their ambition even early on was to be like The Who and the Rolling Stones - both mainstream bands. U2 want their songs played on the radio, Bono wants the adulation and the massaging of his ego. U2 were not really experimental. They just want to be one step ahead and anticipate the next musical trend. They got it right with Achtung but got it wrong with POP when they tried to make it an album of Chemical Brothers/ Prodigy meets rock'n'roll because they thought that trip-hop techno would be the next big thing. Even as experimental as POP sounded, there was a faint hope by the band to bank on Staring At The Sun to be their summer hit single (which it never was). Even before ATYCLB, Bono made it clear that he wanted an album that people will listen to on the radio. So I'm pretty sure U2 will not change the mindset they have had since the start of their existence, to make music that will be heard of the radio. So expect the next album to lead the mainstream musical trends, but if U2 gets its trending forecasts wrong, expect the album to tank.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

CrashCarDriver, I think you are wrong on a few points. The only thing that makes it harder for U2 now is their age. Radio isn't as kind to older bands and that is a big hurdle they need to get over with every album they continue to put out now.

But as for fitting in with the current music scene. What has been U2's success through the years has been to completely ignore what's going on in popular music and do what sounds good to them and moves them at the moment. When they recorded War and The Unforgettable Fire, the big thing was Flock of Seagulls and cheesy synthesizer music.

When they did the Joshua Tree, the big thing was hair bands, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Posion, Warrant (the list goes on...) They were probably more opposite of what was going on in the current music scene than anyone.

When they came out with Achtung Baby, the BIG thing was either grunge or throwaway pop music. they were traveling with the biggest, loudest, most extravagent tour ever when the cool thing was to wear a flannel shirt and have nothing but a stage with 2 lights on it.

What worries me is that they seem to be thinking too much about what is happening in popular music, or at least they did during ATYCLB. They need to go with their hearts again and not think about the charts, and that will most likely bring them the most success.

Last edited:
I don't see why everyone thinks the next album is going to be ATYCLB part II. Both Bono and Edge (and people who heard the songs) said it's rocking/lots of guitars, plus they have a new producer - and they always change the sound with a new man alongside them.

Rolling Stone Magazine called ATYCLB U2s third masterpiece! Its rare that I agree with Rolling Stone, but I do agree with them on this. ATYCLB has some classic U2 songs.

Back
Top Bottom