Crazy Tonight - Original vs Remix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Live Version Is Better?

• Original Album Version

Votes: 44 25.4%
  • Remixed Live Version

Votes: 129 74.6%

• Total voters
I think the album version is incredibly dull, so the remix is an easy choice for me too. I do like the Letterman version of it live, but it probably works really well mostly because of the close quarters and Bono playing off them. The ‘Classic Coke’ version in Barcelona didn’t seem to go across very well, certainly not 1/100th of the remix.

I voted remix...what???:doh:
A week ago I was sitting here thinking "WTF are they thinking.I am embarassed for them!":lol:
After the initial shock of the bobbing heads,I have watched the clip a few more times and damn!! I LOVE it. It's fun and exciting and I like Larry getting so involved!

I'd like to see them turn this song into an epic, 10-minute hybrid of both the "regular" and "remix" versions, with the remix part coming in at about 2/3 of the way, with a huge sing-along section, where the crowd chants "I know I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight."

I voted for the original version.

Sure, the remix has a lot of energy to it, but it's such an odd thing, especially with this tour's selection of songs, and taking into account the rest of the new album.

Honestly, why mess with a good thing?* (At least not until you've played it for years and are sick of it. Then you re-arrange it.) :wink:

*Now I realize that the album version has its detractors on this forum, but I completely disagree with all of them. :reject:

That's right, you heard me. :)

P.S. I'll go out on a limb here and venture a guess that the above, fore-mentioned group also doesn't like "Stuck In A Moment..." and "Original of the Species"? :hmm:

The version from Milan I is unbelievable. I hope it continues to improve, as it might be the most exciting thing U2 has done in over a decade.

The live remix is a great thing, particularly both how they incorporate the best parts of the Dirty South and Redanka mixes, and how Edge's trademark chiming guitar finally has a sonic companion to work off of- the weird bass and bongo. On the album (and I think this problem appears in several other songs in NLOTH) when Edge tries the sound it's not contrasting with anything else going on in Crazy Tonight so it comes off as a fairly weak melodic crutch to get an uplifting atmosphere. I don't want to sound too arty and symbolic but listen to 2:40 of the remix vid and how the chime and synths start rushing in, that's a great use of the delay effect as an accent and spice, not trying to support the whole thing.

It's fascinating watching the video because the band's working so hard trying to get the audience into it. Weird and cool. I don't know whether it's just a novelty or has legs, but I'm anxious to hear it evolve as they play it more.

like i've said many times, it's really all about whether or not you like the album version.

i personally think that the album version is the most bland song on NLOTH, so i prefer the remix. looks like an awesome live moment!

:up: totally in agreement. I was at Milan I and it was truly awesome.

I was really very much in doubt about this whole remix business and didn't like it much when I heard the first bootlegs ... but seeing how the remix brought the house down in Milan and how much fun people were having and how much the band was into it ... I just say: Wow Good choice, doing this remix version. Well done, U2. Also, great spot in the setlist :up:

Cant stand the remix at all, and having watched it several times in the different shows....i feel its very out of place at a rock gig and kills the flow of the show.

So you've been to the four shows and think that it brought the shows to a stand still?

I think you're in the minority on that one. Where I was in both Barca shows it sure didn't bring my area to a stand still.

So you've been to the four shows and think that it brought the shows to a stand still?

I think you're in the minority on that one. Where I was in both Barca shows it sure didn't bring my area to a stand still.

Now now....dont go misquoting me!:huh:
What i said, was that I (meaning me and not purporting to represent anyone elses view) felt it spoils the flow of a rock show:sexywink:

For a live setting, the remix definitely does the job better than the original.

I still like the actual music/structure/whatever of the original more than the remix though. Plus I wouldn't want the remix version to replace the normal one on NLOTH, since it would feel so out of place, while the original is much more put together and flows well. The remix seems kinda all over the place but still fun. It makes sense at a huge stadium concert though, especially with the images and lighting and big-ass Claw.

And Larry having fun = win

Cant stand the remix at all, and having watched it several times in the different shows....i feel its very out of place at a rock gig and kills the flow of the show.

Then your feeling is wrong here. Read my post. I wasn't convinced of the remix at all, but it absolutely works in the show. And I wouldn't say that this show is especially "rock focused". The audience at both Milan shows loved it and literally went crazy, and I heard the same of Barca. I think you cannot really judge it without having been there. Same goes for a lot of stuff said about the show and the set. I wish people made up their mind when they've actually attended one of the shows.

Then your feeling is wrong here.
Oh well...if you say so...i mean...who am i to judge my own thoughts eh:huh:

I wish people made up their mind when they've actually attended one of the shows.
You dont need to be at the shows to hold an opinion! Especially if you have witnessed the performance. And if your criteria is applicable, you wont be able to hold an opinion about any u2 shows prior to 2000 when you bacame a fan?
I DONT LIKE THE SONG!!! Nearly 30 yrs of following u2, attending every tour since Unforgettable Fire earns me the right to say whatever i want about u2!

I don't really see much point in them playing both the remix and a band version in the same concert.

But to be fair gman the vids i have seen of the song, there is no way that it "kills" the mood, infact everyone in the vids seems to be having a great time

Back
Top Bottom