Congratulations To All Bush Supporters..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
Dude you just don't get it do you? She's belittling the socially backwards people that vote in this country. Get over yourself.

Geez chill out.

I thought her original post came off condescendingly. Irvine explained what she meant. I misread her comment. Sorry.

anitram said:

You've got to be drinking too much of your KoolAid if you think a black woman could win in 2008. Well, one whose name isn't Oprah anyway.

Nice dream.

Is the implication that conservative (who face a presumption of being bigots) would not rally around an African American women?

Or that the US electorate as a whole (red & blue) would reject the concept of an African American women for president?

nbcrusader said:

Is the implication that conservative (who face a presumption of being bigots) would not rally around an African American women?

Or that the US electorate as a whole (red & blue) would reject the concept of an African American women for president?

A variation of the latter. The electorate as a whole would not reject it, but I think a black woman (actually, a woman period) would not be able to get the votes she needs to be elected in 2008. So a large enough segment of the electorate to make a difference, yeah.

Condi is first or tied for first amongst republican voters in Iowa and Florida when asked whom they most would most like the see on the ballot in '08 . I think conservative voters would rally around her.

As far as the electorate at large....yes....but that's for another forum.

MaxFisher said:
Condi is first or tied for first amongst republican voters in Iowa and Florida when asked whom they most would most like the see on the ballot in '08 . I think conservative voters would rally around her.

Let's remember Kerry was winning in all the polls up until the day of the election.

MaxFisher said:

brings up an interesting thought: do you think that they support her because they think she'd be good, or that they think she'd win because liberals -- reflexive to always give a woman or minority, or better, a minority woman, the benefit of the doubt as evidenced in their support of affirmative action -- would feel that to simply vote against her would be racist? that Republicans can manipulate race and gender against liberals in a sort of metaphysical, poltical judo? that she becomes almost unassailable because any criticism of her would become racism and sexism, like they tried, at the very end, to do with Harriet Miers? and Clarence Thomas's "high tech lynching"?

Irvine511 said:
brings up an interesting thought: do you think that they support her because they think she'd be good, or that they think she'd win because liberals -- reflexive to always give a woman or minority, or better, a minority woman, the benefit of the doubt as evidenced in their support of affirmative action -- would feel that to simply vote against her would be racist? that Republicans can manipulate race and gender against liberals in a sort of metaphysical, poltical judo? that she becomes almost unassailable because any criticism of her would become racism and sexism, like they tried, at the very end, to do with Harriet Miers? and Clarence Thomas's "high tech lynching"?

They'd support her because her credentials are immpecable and she's an extremely intelligent individual. I think Hillary will run against her and will take the liberal vote. I do think that the african american population would vote for Condi 9 out of 10 times over Hillary. My main concern is the south. However I think Condi's pro gun stance , evangelical roots, and the fact that she is from Alabama would win over southern voters.

MaxFisher said:

They'd support her because her credentials are immpecable and she's an extremely intelligent individual.

She is, and this is all true. But as GWB has proven, none of these really worry the Republican party that much.

MaxFisher said:

They'd support her because her credentials are immpecable and she's an extremely intelligent individual. I think Hillary will run against her and will take the liberal vote. I do think that the african american population would vote for Condi 9 out of 10 times over Hillary. My main concern is the south. However I think Condi's pro gun stance , evangelical roots, and the fact that she is from Alabama would win over southern voters.

Yeah her credentials are incredible. She really showed a lot of poise when she was Nat'l Security Advisor. I thought it was brilliant when she said that a memo she received had "historical information based on old reporting. There was no new threat information."

Oh by the way....the memo was entitled BIN LADEN DETERMINED TO STRIKE WITHIN US. Let's thank Condi for not taking the intiative to get more information about this threat and act upon it. The people of New York, America really appreciate it.

I can't believe that you get offended when someone says its not realistic for an African-American to be President, but then assert that 9 out of 10 African-Americans would vote for her because she is also African-American. That's not only a complete bullshit statistic that has no scientific/statistical merit, but is very offensive to the intelligence of the African-Americans who choose to take part in the political process.

condi sucks big time

she is worthless

and is just part of the Bush Admin's tokenism

Powell had some heft

but got pushed out by the slimy neo-cons

and he admits he got rode hard
and disposed of
with the phony evidence for war

condi was asleep at the switch
or just plain incompetent during 9-11

i am sure with the current oil profits there is a new tanker waiting to be christened "condi II"

Last edited:
MaxFisher said:

Well, if people are willing to believe Richard Clarke's book on the Bush Administration's failure to take terrorism seriously before 9/11, Condi Rice was actually the only figure that Clarke wrote favorably about. She took his claims seriously, while everyone from Cheney to Ashcroft et al. brushed his claims off. It is to be remembered, after all, that, prior to 9/11, the obsession was with high-tech missile defense, not low-tech terrorism.

Melon

melon said:

Well, if people are willing to believe Richard Clarke's book on the Bush Administration's failure to take terrorism seriously before 9/11, Condi Rice was actually the only figure that Clarke wrote favorably about. She took his claims seriously, while everyone from Cheney to Ashcroft et al. brushed his claims off. It is to be remembered, after all, that, prior to 9/11, the obsession was with high-tech missile defense, not low-tech terrorism.

Melon

I was thinking the same thing. I can't help but wonder what she'd be like if she weren't caught up in Bush's madness.

melon said:

It is to be remembered, after all, that, prior to 9/11, the obsession was with high-tech missile defense, not low-tech terrorism.

Melon

the obsession was with a 1.7 trillion tax cut that favors the very wealthy

and then it was nappy time, at the ranch

deep said:
the obsession was with a 1.7 trillion tax cut that favors the very wealthy

Ah, but that's a never-ending obsession for the Republican Party. Bush's new tax plans are nothing but 1986 Part II, and they were very damaging to the working class.

Melon

melon said:

Ah, but that's a never-ending obsession for the Republican Party. Bush's new tax plans are nothing but 1986 Part II, and they were very damaging to the working class.

The Reagan cuts encouraged the capital formation that led to economic boom of the 90's.

Bluer White said:
The Reagan cuts encouraged the capital formation that led to economic boom of the 90's.

And what a boom that was...a false economy based on the irrational exuberance of internet stocks, virtually none of which even earned a profit to deserve their stock prices. Add that with deliberately false accounting practices with an irrational exuberance towards deregulation, and you have a stock market collapse with large corporations declaring bankruptcy and 401K plans slashing in value. I dare say our stagnant employment climate is due to the fact that many older workers were gambling with their retirement funds and lost.

In other words, the 1986 "tax plan" was a joke.

Melon

melon said:
And what a boom that was...a false economy based on the irrational exuberance of internet stocks, virtually none of which even earned a profit to deserve their stock prices. Add that with deliberately false accounting practices with an irrational exuberance towards deregulation, and you have a stock market collapse with large corporations declaring bankruptcy and 401K plans slashing in value. I dare say our stagnant employment climate is due to the fact that many older workers were gambling with their retirement funds and lost.

In other words, the 1986 "tax plan" was a joke.

Melon

The economy, post Reagan, has not seen the malaise suffered through the 70's. The recessions of the early 90's and early 00's were mere corrections following overheated booms in the late 80's and late 90's. Over all, the economy greatly benefited from the 1986 tax plan.

nbcrusader said:
The economy, post Reagan, has not seen the malaise suffered through the 70's. The recessions of the early 90's and early 00's were mere corrections following overheated booms in the late 80's and late 90's. Over all, the economy greatly benefited from the 1986 tax plan.

I beg to differ when that "prosperity" was all based on perception and not reality.

But if the Reagan Administration proved anything at all, it was that postmodernism is real, even if most people don't believe it.

Melon

David letterman - -

"President Bush has said that marrying his wife Laura was the best decision he ever made............. that's not really that hard to beleive"

:giggle:

how can anyone respond to this?

there is no more need to speak rationally with people when they will never learn.

some of you are sick beyond words.

Zoomerang96 said:
how can anyone respond to this?

there is no more need to speak rationally with people when they will never learn.

some of you are sick beyond words.

:eyebrow:

um, you'll find few people who dislike Bush more than i do.

but i really think that last comment is way, way out of line.

instead of calling Bush supporters "sick," why don't we allow reality to speak louder and more effectively than we could:

[q]Bush's Popularity Reaches New Low
58 Percent in Poll Question His Integrity

By Richard Morin and Dan Balz
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, November 4, 2005; Page A01

For the first time in his presidency a majority of Americans question the integrity of President Bush, and growing doubts about his leadership have left him with record negative ratings on the economy, Iraq and even the war on terrorism, a new Washington Post-ABC News poll shows.

On almost every key measure of presidential character and performance, the survey found that Bush has never been less popular with the American people. Currently 39 percent approve of the job he is doing as president, while 60 percent disapprove of his performance in office -- the highest level of disapproval ever recorded for Bush in Post-ABC polls.

Virtually the only possible bright spot for Bush in the survey was generally favorable, if not quite enthusiastic, early reaction to his latest Supreme Court nominee, Samuel A. Alito Jr. Half of Americans say Alito should be confirmed by the Senate, and less than a third view him as too conservative, the poll found.

Overall, the survey underscores how several pillars of Bush's presidency have begun to crumble under the combined weight of events and White House mistakes. Bush's approval ratings have been in decline for months, but on issues of personal trust, honesty and values, Bush has suffered some of his most notable declines. Moreover, Bush has always retained majority support on his handling of the U.S. campaign against terrorism -- until now, when 51 percent have registered disapproval.

The CIA leak case has apparently contributed to a withering decline in how Americans view Bush personally. The survey found that 40 percent now view him as honest and trustworthy -- a 13 percentage point drop in the past 18 months. Nearly 6 in 10 -- 58 percent -- said they have doubts about Bush's honesty, the first time in his presidency that more than half the country has questioned his personal integrity.

The indictment Friday of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice President Cheney's former chief of staff, in the CIA leak case added to the burden of an administration already reeling from a failed Supreme Court nomination, public dissatisfaction with the economy and continued bloodshed in Iraq. According to the survey, 52 percent say the charges against Libby signal the presence of deeper ethical wrongdoing in the administration. Half believe White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove, the president's top political hand, also did something wrong in the case -- about 6 in 10 say Rove should resign.

Beyond the leak case, Americans give the administration low scores on ethics, according to the survey, with 67 percent rating the administration negatively on handling ethical matters, while just 32 percent give the administration positive marks. Four in 10 -- 43 percent -- say the level of ethics and honesty in the federal government has fallen during Bush's presidency, while 17 percent say it has risen.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/03/AR2005110301685.html

[/q]

Irvine511 said:
instead of calling Bush supporters "sick," why don't we allow reality to speak louder and more effectively than we could:

[q]Bush's Popularity Reaches New Low
58 Percent in Poll Question His Integrity

By Richard Morin and Dan Balz
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, November 4, 2005; Page A01

For the first time in his presidency a majority of Americans question the integrity of President Bush, and growing doubts about his leadership have left him with record negative ratings on the economy, Iraq and even the war on terrorism, a new Washington Post-ABC News poll shows.

On almost every key measure of presidential character and performance, the survey found that Bush has never been less popular with the American people. Currently 39 percent approve of the job he is doing as president, while 60 percent disapprove of his performance in office -- the highest level of disapproval ever recorded for Bush in Post-ABC polls.

Virtually the only possible bright spot for Bush in the survey was generally favorable, if not quite enthusiastic, early reaction to his latest Supreme Court nominee, Samuel A. Alito Jr. Half of Americans say Alito should be confirmed by the Senate, and less than a third view him as too conservative, the poll found.

Overall, the survey underscores how several pillars of Bush's presidency have begun to crumble under the combined weight of events and White House mistakes. Bush's approval ratings have been in decline for months, but on issues of personal trust, honesty and values, Bush has suffered some of his most notable declines. Moreover, Bush has always retained majority support on his handling of the U.S. campaign against terrorism -- until now, when 51 percent have registered disapproval.

The CIA leak case has apparently contributed to a withering decline in how Americans view Bush personally. The survey found that 40 percent now view him as honest and trustworthy -- a 13 percentage point drop in the past 18 months. Nearly 6 in 10 -- 58 percent -- said they have doubts about Bush's honesty, the first time in his presidency that more than half the country has questioned his personal integrity.

The indictment Friday of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice President Cheney's former chief of staff, in the CIA leak case added to the burden of an administration already reeling from a failed Supreme Court nomination, public dissatisfaction with the economy and continued bloodshed in Iraq. According to the survey, 52 percent say the charges against Libby signal the presence of deeper ethical wrongdoing in the administration. Half believe White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove, the president's top political hand, also did something wrong in the case -- about 6 in 10 say Rove should resign.

Beyond the leak case, Americans give the administration low scores on ethics, according to the survey, with 67 percent rating the administration negatively on handling ethical matters, while just 32 percent give the administration positive marks. Four in 10 -- 43 percent -- say the level of ethics and honesty in the federal government has fallen during Bush's presidency, while 17 percent say it has risen.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/03/AR2005110301685.html

[/q]

Excuse me, but why is it so interesting what the polls say? Bush is going to stay in office and he can´t rerun for President.

I really dislike the blah in the media, Bush is like that, his ratings go up, his ratings go down. What is that of any interest to me, they even say it in the news here! It´s not even my President!

And it would only be interesting if polling had some effect. But it doesn´t.

So what is the whole point here?

Back
Top Bottom