Coldplay - LP 6: Ghost Stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few songs on Parachutes I really, really love, but as a whole it leaves me a bit cold. I know that makes me a bit of an outlier among Coldplay fans.

1. Rush of Blood
2. Parachutes
3. X & Y (honestly, it has half a dozen pretty good tracks, even if it's not great as a whole)
4. Viva la Vida
5. Mylo Xyloto

I really don't like Coldplay, but I liked "Atlas" a lot, and I like this "Midnight" even more. I might give them another chance if they follow this path on their next album.
About the Bon Iver similarities... It also reminds me of a bit of Imogen Heap, but I prefer these kind of influences on them, than emulating U2 (and others), forcing Eno-ish soundscapes into embarrassing pop tracks, etc.

I read a "Bon Iver meets Imogen Heap" comment on YouTube as I was listening to it this morning, and that was pretty apt.

If they tour again I do hope they take things down a notch. As much as I loved Mylo Xyloto the tour sacrificed the music for the spectacle. The Viva La Vida show I saw was a lot better.

As impressively fleshed out as the theming was for the past two tours/albums, I agree that it would be nice to see them scale things down. I'm not sure if they will do so completely. With Coldplay I sense (without substance) that they try to do things by threes.

Will "Midnight" definitely be on the new album?

I don't think there's any word on a new album at all. They just dropped the track. Hope it comes out this year though. Would be hilarious if they release it before U2 and it's great and they continue their success.

I like this. I was encouraged by their direction on VLV but felt like MX was just a holding pattern. The production on the last album sounded especially grating to me - the worst kind of day-glo digital tinniness.

I liked the spectacle. I just wish they realized that 90 minutes was too short a concert for the size of band they are, and the prices they were charging.

I really like the new song. I think it would be more accurate to say Bon Iver, ie Justin Vernon, sounds like Chris Martin, but I get where people are coming from. I love Imogen Heap, but this track sounds more filmic than her stuff. More like Boards of Canada or even Washed Out (who is or at least used to be chillwave, as someone else described. Incidentally, I saw Washed Out open for Cut Copy, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen).

See, while Coldplay only made X&Y once, Shuttlecock did it three times in a row.

They also made Mylo Xyloto, which is arguably even worse than X&Y. And those two account for 40% of their discography. Not really comparable to U2.

Midnight would probably rank somewhere in the middle of NLOTH for me.

1. Para...para...parachutes
2. Rush of Blood

3. Viva la Vida

4. X&Y

5. Mylo Xyloto

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 because the Nexus 5 just wasn't big enough.

Produced by Jon Hopkins, by the way.

If this is in anyway indicative of the album I'm mega excited. The Escapist comes from Hopkins' Light Thru the Veins.

And how great that they just dropped this low-key song with no fanfare, as opposed to Teardrop.

I didn't like Every Teardrop (or most of MX) at first, but now I adore it. I think the concert went a long way to make me love most of the album.

Amazing how much that song and the album grew on me. Coldplay have this amazing ability to pull that sort of music off, compared with bands like 30 Seconds to Mars or Imagine Dragons or the other mainstream trash.

Rihanna's bit on Princess of China is my favourite thing she's ever done.

The Mylo Xyloto show I saw was one of my worst concerts ever. Not entirely the band's fault. Bad seats, horrible venue (IZOD Center), even worst sound. The visuals were fine, but the show was too short, and I didn't think they sounded particularly good on that tour.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet - but it sounds like Justin Vernon.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

The Mylo Xyloto show I saw was one of my worst concerts ever. Not entirely the band's fault. Bad seats, horrible venue (IZOD Center), even worst sound. The visuals were fine, but the show was too short, and I didn't think they sounded particularly good on that tour.

Well perhaps bad sound played into you thinking they didn't sound that good because when I saw them in Tampa they sounded awesome.

I've been to nearly a hundred concerts at this point and I can safely say that show is at least in the top 10. They sounded great, and the xylobands and confetti cannons really brought the show to life.

Produced by Jon Hopkins, by the way.

If this is in anyway indicative of the album I'm mega excited. The Escapist comes from Hopkins' Light Thru the Veins.

And how great that they just dropped this low-key song with no fanfare, as opposed to Teardrop.

I do believe Jon Hopkins had a bit of work on Viva la Vida.

Actually, I did a search, just for the hell of it. My memory is fine. There are 89 posts of mine where I uttered the phrase "Coldplay" over the last decade or so. The vast majority of them do not fall into the category of what you originally stated, that of "rip(ping) Coldplay".

At least half of them were in the context of an argument about Eric Clapton comparing U2 and Coldplay (woohoo that was a fun one, I was actually ripping on EC's utterly moronic statements on U2). The next 25-30% of them are me making sarcastic jokes about people who compare Coldplay to U2, and then a few more of them just vague references to earlier in-jokes.

More recently, I conceded that I don't really hate their music per se, but that I find Martin to be an insufferable twat.

Even more recently, I actually stopped just short of complimenting them on parlaying an Eno-esque riff into something massively successful, while U2 did not.

I didn't say I hardly ever talked about them. I participated in discussions where they were already being talked about. On rare occasion, I did state my opinion specifically on their music. But certainly I don't have a track record of bagging on Coldplay. That must be someone else.
Fair enough. I probably took the combination of those couple of specifically negative posts and your somewhat more frequent posts hating on the comparison between U2 and Coldplay (along with your clear dislike of Martin) as some sort of offensiveness at the idea of a comparison more than I should have. I certainly don't want to misrepresent other people's viewpoints or create strawmen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom