COBL in truck commercial?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butterscotch

War Child
Has anyone seen or heard the truck commercial, I think it's a Silverado, where COBL appears to be playing in the background? Did they sell it or is it just another cheap copy? They might as well sell if they imitate it anyway. Is it real or not?

I think you may mean the Angels and Airwaves song "The Adventure." Which plays during a Ford Quality commerical. ?

Yeah they do all these really cheesy rip offs that are just enough different to keep them from getting sued but the average person really doesn't notice the difference. All I can say is that if actually was COBL then someone in the band REALLY likes that vehicle. :wink:

Dana

Many times, ad folks will do a mock up of a commercial using a desired track to show the client. Once they learn that they can't get the track, advertisers will commission a song that attempts to capture the spirit of the original mock up just off enough to avoid lawsuits.

Also, Angels and Airwaves are ridiculous.

Yeah they do all these really cheesy rip offs that are just enough different to keep them from getting sued but the average person really doesn't notice the difference. All I can say is that if actually was COBL then someone in the band REALLY likes that vehicle. :wink:

Dana

I heard an allergy or was it some sort of mood altering type drug? that was real close to Miracle Drug, that it made me look up and listen.
and I've heard the commercials mentioned above, also.

Many times, ad folks will do a mock up of a commercial using a desired track to show the client. Once they learn that they can't get the track, advertisers will commission a song that attempts to capture the spirit of the original mock up just off enough to avoid lawsuits.

Also, Angels and Airwaves are ridiculous.

True, there was some really "cheesy" copy of a Door's song used for a commercial in the sixties. But, I think the band did get royalties.

Wow, that Elevation one is really, really close right down to Adam's little walking fill and the those synth blips. I'm sure U2 could have busted them on that one...

Wow, that Elevation one is really, really close right down to Adam's little walking fill and the those synth blips. I'm sure U2 could have busted them on that one...

I cracked up listening to that...

What about the custom Elevation version for the Lamborghini Gallardo? Is that real or fake?
YouTube - lamborghini gallardo

I believe I remember running across some info that they used the actual song in an internally distributed version of the commercial but a mock up in the version that was actually distributed as a commercial. Since that is a YouTube clip it really could be either version of the commercial because I think the internal one got leaked which is why I ran across the story.

Dana

I believe I remember running across some info that they used the actual song in an internally distributed version of the commercial but a mock up in the version that was actually distributed as a commercial. Since that is a YouTube clip it really could be either version of the commercial because I think the internal one got leaked which is why I ran across the story.

Dana

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here. Could you explain please?
This clip (or a similar one) is also on the official Lambo website. Wouldn't U2 sue them if it was a fake?

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here. Could you explain please?
This clip (or a similar one) is also on the official Lambo website. Wouldn't U2 sue them if it was a fake?

What I'm saying is that I had heard something before about Lambo using the actual song in the version that was only supposed to be seen internally to the company. In other words probably during the development of the commercial but that for the actual commercial which would have been released for broadcast they used a mock up. I vaguely remember running across this info in somekind of story about mock up songs and they had both clips so apparently the internal version leaked to the net. I don't have a good enough ear to determine whether this clip is actually using the real song or not and it sound like you aren't sure about the one on the official site either. There are certain changes that have to be made to avoid being sued for royalties but there are ways to accomplish that and still have the listener think they are hearing the original song. The legal standard is much tighter than just that is sounds like the song.

The only reason Ice-T lost the fight about stealing the riff from Under Pressure is that he only changed one note which wasn't deemed to be significant. It had nothing to do with how close the two riffs sounded. If they'd sounded that close but he had actually changed more notes he could have won.

Dana

Thanks for explaining Dana.

If the internal version was using the actual song then that would have been including the original vocals, unless they had access to the original tapes. Did they?

I'm still wondering if it is Bono singing. Did'nt he suggest they would do something like that, *if* it were for another brand and another song (than the one they turned down)?

Thanks for explaining Dana.

If the internal version was using the actual song then that would have been including the original vocals, unless they had access to the original tapes. Did they?

I'm still wondering if it is Bono singing. Did'nt he suggest they would do something like that, *if* it were for another brand and another song (than the one they turned down)?

Their basic position on this stuff is that it depends on what song is asked for and whether they really like the product. They also would like to have some involvement or connection with the company. Like with the ipod deal or with the ESPN commercials for the Football championships. They were in negotiation with Hewlett Packard at one point for possible sponsorship and one of the things they asked was if Edge could get into their labs. They said yes to that but no deal was ever settled on that I know of so maybe something else didn't feel right to them. U2 is big on forming associations rather than just doing deals.

Dana

You are? :huh:

Sounds nothing like him.

:eyebrow: I remember his saying they wouldn't do that because he didn't want fans relating Streets to a truck, etc

On the contrary BVS, that's incredible. It's a damn good imitation. I'd like to know who is singing this.
I agree with Dana, on these two points:

Their basic position on this stuff is that it depends on what song is asked for and whether they really like the product.

U2 is big on forming associations rather than just doing deals.

Dana

and other than Vertigo, I can't recall any commercial using a song that actually has! been approved by U2. (remind me if I'm wrong :wink:)
I heard Beautiful Day - used by a local photographer in my city, once.
Never saw the commercial again.
My first thought was, how'd they get away with that?
I guess they didn't? :shrug:

and other than Vertigo, I can't recall any commercial using a song that actually has! been approved by U2. (remind me if I'm wrong :wink:)

Like rihannsu said, there were the 4 2006 Fifa World Cup commercials... Those were amazing, to suddenly hear U2 songs and their speaking voices on the TV. There was COBL with Bono, Streets with Bono, I Will Follow with Adam, and Beautiful Day with Edge. They were :drool: Never did get a Larry spot as far as I know :hmm:

You are? :huh:
Sounds nothing like him.

Well if it's not Bono then it's someone who could make *a lot* of money imitating him.

:eyebrow: I remember his saying they wouldn't do that because he didn't want fans relating Streets to a truck, etc

Yes, I know. And that was very specific for Streets as being their one song that could save a show. And this isn't Streets, is it?

Their basic position on this stuff is that it depends on what song is asked for and whether they really like the product.
Dana

lol, I gues they would like the Lambo :)
Same company as Maserati I recently discovered.

If the spot is done well, it works. When I hear Streets, the last thing I think of is the World Cup. But for the ad, it worked beautifully.

Like rihannsu said, there were the 4 2006 Fifa World Cup commercials... Those were amazing, to suddenly hear U2 songs and their speaking voices on the TV. There was COBL with Bono, Streets with Bono, I Will Follow with Adam, and Beautiful Day with Edge. They were :drool: Never did get a Larry spot as far as I know :hmm:

Oh yes, I remember that. :up: I was thinking along the lines of a standard commercial product.

Well if it's not Bono then it's someone who could make *a lot* of money imitating him.

Certain notes he does have the same tone, others it's pretty obvious. He'd be able to fool a few casual fans.

Yes, I know. And that was very specific for Streets as being their one song that could save a show. And this isn't Streets, is it?

Ok then what does this have to do with:

Did'nt he suggest they would do something like that, *if* it were for another brand and another song (than the one they turned down)?

:shrug:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom