Childbirth and castration...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Swallow

Bad Daddy Johnny
...is what I would rather go through than hear that version of 'What's going on' again. How whored out can a song become, wonderful idea, horrible execution. Puffy telling me to throw my hands up, DMX keepin' it real, Durst bringin' it down, Timberlake trying to have soul...it is just too obscene. Overdubs with all 462 different voices singing at once, hurl. This is just laughable, and what is really funny is how big a hit it will be. A horrible song that won't go away, like the macerana but worse.

------------------
This post brought to you by: Salsa "The #1 condiment in America"

AIM: JuanSwallow

As usual Johnny, so fuckin' true, so very fuckin' true. That was the worst, crappiest thing I've heard in a long time.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Johnny, we don't see eye to eye on many things, but I totally agree with you on this one. It just got out of hand when everyone seemed to demand a solo part. I mean, this thing just went on and on and on. I don't understand why Bono got involved with so many wannabes. And Fred Durst? Fuck, what a loser.

------------------
Change is the only constant

the "yeah" "uhuh" "that's right" crap in the background is really annoying

Agreed, but I don't think this one was aimed at U2 fans. In general, I think it's obvious that U2 fans are far more socially conscious than, say, Ja Rule fans, who seem more interested in accumulating "bling", "ice", and "ho's". MTV fans clearly are the main audience of this song, and rightfully so. If nothing else, I think it's a great effort to include this notoriously apathetic group in some worthwhile causes.

I haven't heard it yet, but like the above poster replied...at least it's for a good cause.

------------------
"I'll see you when I get home!"
~~~~~~~~~~
but remember when I moved in you
and the Holy Dove was moving too
and every breath we drew was Hallelujah

I totally agree. This sucks more than a Carrot Top commercial.

Well, almost...
------------------
nudie magazine day!

[This message has been edited by ~LadyLemon~ (edited 09-23-2001).]

Originally posted by SkeeK:
the "yeah" "uhuh" "that's right" crap in the background is really annoying

I'll say it again...on my list of Biggest Losers In Music, P. "Elementary school white boys rap better than I do" Diddy is at the tops. Could the man be any less talented? Saying "Yeah, yeah, uh huh" into a mic over and over is mindless, boring, and utterly devoid of talent.

2nd on my list is Fred "I'm still holding on to my teenage angst" Durst. Whiny, annoying voice, and lyrics that are as unpoetic and unoriginal as they come. "I wanna live, don't wanna die" - WOW! How deep!
rolleyes.gif
The only reason he's not #1 is because he can at least rap faster than Puffy.

I agree - I really do not like the song.

But, I will listen to it 1,000 times before I do childbirth again.
wink.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

I'm listening to it right now for the first time....

It starts bad
Bono rules!!
"That's right" Wha????
"Uhuh yeah"
Christina is hot
"Say what?" <---- WTF!!!
WHAT THE FUCK!!!!
Nelly rules too!!
Who's this?
I don't know all these people!
*Bad rappers*
Missy Elliot or Lill'Kim?
Asshole Durst

So this was indeed very bad, I should have turmed it off after Christina

I liked it a lot.

Then again...my music tastes outside of U2 are often very different than a lot of yours.

------------------
Trust In God...But Lock Your Doors

I think the song starts off okay, but once it gets to the Fred Durst part it really starts to go downhill. The end where everyone is singing and doing their own thing sounds like a big mess. I know a lot of people want to be involved in the song, but they should just all sing the same thing instead of each person rapping or singing those annoying Christina Aguilera-esque scales. But at least it's for a good cause- hopefully it will raise plenty of money.

------------------
"We miss our lemon, I'd just like to say that." - Bono 5/9/01

When watching the video, I just listen to Bono's part (thank god it is in the beginning) then turn it down and just wait for clips of Bono. I have to agree with Sicy that I could heave when I see that tramp Christina Aguilera.

------------------
u2achtungbaby.homestead.com

Come on take me away
Come on take me home
Home again

I can't believe Bono would be so disrespectful of Marvin Gaye and his legacy.
What's Going On isn't just one of Marvin Gaye's best songs. It's one of the best songs by anyone ever.
Try to imagine how upset you would be if Fred Durst arranged an all star "tribute" to U2 and performed Bad with N'Sync, Christina, P Diddy and Nelly.
Isolation
Throw yo hands up!!
Desolation
Throw yo hands in the air muthafuckas!!
Revelation
Uh, yeah Baby!
In temptation
(Insert angry rant by Fred Durst)
Revelation
(Christina emotes like a strangled cat)

Most of you would be spitting nails and you know it.
It's for a great cause, (heck, TWO great causes) but it shits all over Marvin's legacy. Bono ought to be ashamed of himself.

MP

You are all wrong. This song is not disrespectful to Marvin Gaye or his legacy.

Who thinks less of Marvin Gaye because all these artists *tried* to use his song for a worthy cause? NO ONE.

Hello? These artists are what the masses listen to. And the masses have the most money. In this case, money can save lives. So while all you babies sit and cry about Marvin Gaye being disrespected, this song might just generate some money for the 9-11 fund and the AIDS crisis that is going on. And I doubt Marvin would want to see his brothers and sisters dying in Africa. Just ask his daughter, who performs in the song.

If their style does not agree with you, don't listen to it. I happen to enjoy it when artists collaborate and mix their ideas. Do I like the Backstreet Boys or N'SYNC? No. Do I like Ja Rule, Brittney, Eve, etc.? No. I think they have limited talent. But they are doing something good here, and it might just sell.

The song is not horrible. I have heard worse, like, say, New Day by Bono and Wyclef. That was a pretty awful song. So keep crying folks. Po' Marvin Gaye, getting his song massacred...puh-leeze. Get over it.

Just enjoy the collection of different styles in the song and maybe you just might like it.

Cheers to Bono for using the bubble-gum and usually tasteless rap for a worthy cause.

AJ

Originally posted by Hawk269:
The song is not horrible. I have heard worse, like, say, New Day by Bono and Wyclef. That was a pretty awful song.

Hey, I loved that song too!!! *lol* Am I a nerd or something??? Nobody likes what I do!

------------------
Trust In God...But Lock Your Doors

Originally posted by Hawk269:
You are all wrong. This song is not disrespectful to Marvin Gaye or his legacy...

...So while all you babies sit and cry about Marvin Gaye being disrespected, this song might just generate some money for the 9-11 fund and the AIDS crisis that is going on.

[*]I said it was a good cause.
[*]I am saying that on a musical level, it sucks exponentially. Because in comparrison to the original, this song has been butchered to the tenth power
[*]The original had feeling, power, soul...the new version has little of those and changed lyrics too boot, that is a bit disrespectful on a musical level IMO.

I came at this with the hope that it would turn out well, not because I'm a U2 fan, but because I'm a Marvin Gaye fan and realize that the song is a landmark. Bono is the only one that had a voice that could have done it justice, I really wish that a version of him singing the entire song would be released or perhaps as a b-side.

The video makes me want to heave cookies. I will not watch it again. If I see Bono kiss Christina Aguilera one more time....

hanged.gif

------------------
Here Today
Gone Tomorrow....
Always

Sicy's Website

Back
Top Bottom