Cheerleaders Can Display Their Breasts But Nursing Mothers Can't?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

mmhmm, and I'm sure you've never had the flu or common cold, or if you have, it's only because you licked a public toilet...

actually no, it's because I wiped my hand across the sink and then picked my nose.

Are you at all familiar with the amount of airborne bacteria that is dispersed when a toilet is flushed? Did you know that some microbiologists recommend having your pants on before flushing for that reason alone?

joyfulgirl said:

So, you would send your sister or your wife -- who carried a child for 9 months and then went through excruciating pain to give birth to it -- into the nearest filthy, disgusting, germy, stinking public bathroom to feed their baby because you are too immature to deal with the sight of a discreetly covered breast? You really and truly think that your delicate sensibilities are more important than those of the mother and child?

:up:

(glad to have a man who wouldn't make her breastfeed in a public toilet)

joyfulgirl said:

So, you would send your sister or your wife -- who carried a child for 9 months and then went through excruciating pain to give birth to it -- into the nearest filthy, disgusting, germy, stinking public bathroom to feed their baby because you are too immature to deal with the sight of a discreetly covered breast? You really and truly think that your delicate sensibilities are more important than those of the mother and child?

Yeah and like I said, why don't you take your next burger and fries into the nearest public bathroom? As long as you don't wipe it across the floor you should enjoy it so much that you might not even notice the smell of the guy taking a crap.

No, I wouldn't force her to go to a public crapper. This is about breast feeding at sporting events. It doesn't belong there.

The smell of someone else's crap won't bother as long as mine scent is doing a decent job of covering it up. I bet the burger would taste outstanding! mmmm I may go get one right now.

Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

mmhmm, and I'm sure you've never had the flu or common cold, or if you have, it's only because you licked a public toilet...

randhail
actually no, it's because I wiped my hand across the sink and then picked my nose.

Um... folks? Ever had the suspicion that you're being taken for a ride?

randhail said:

Pretty simple, hire a babysitter and leave the kid at home.

And we are back to the reality of what it means to be a lactating woman, which you apparently are unable to grasp the effects on the mother.

Dude. YOU DON'T GET IT. Women who are breastfeeding typically need to feed EVERY TWO HOURS. Your average sporting event is well over two hours long, NOT counting travel time.

If they don't, they can become very uncomfortable and even SICK to the point of NOT BEING ABLE TO NURSE ANYMORE.

pax said:
Dude. YOU DON'T GET IT. Women who are breastfeeding typically need to feed EVERY TWO HOURS. Your average sporting event is well over two hours long, NOT counting travel time.

If they don't, they can become very uncomfortable and even SICK to the point of NOT BEING ABLE TO NURSE ANYMORE.

Simple solution....

A) There are plenty of guys who would help his sister, wife, ect out if she needed it at the stadium

B) Go to the bathroom and express the milk out until you are relieved.

C) OUCH....my wife just hit me.....I will stop here.

I'm wondering if half of all this is just to annoy. I'd like to believe that nobody can be so blind, while offering no support for their POV. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, this seems to be going nowhere fast.

sallycinnamon78 said:
I'm wondering if half of all this is just to annoy. I'd like to believe that nobody can be so blind, while offering no support for their POV. Maybe I'm wrong, but all this seems to be going nowhere fast.

I am a little upset, because I have had the largest breast thread for months....and I am looking at 40 posts and I will have breast thread envy....

no more posting here.....:wink:

(Tried to sleep. Failed to sleep.)

Hah, Dread, you know you won't be able to stay away from our lovely The Joy of Breastfeeding While In The Company of Fools thread.

pax said:

Then the woman shouldn't go to the game. Problem solved. Case closed. I find it hard to believe a woman who recently gave birth would be saying, oh yeah lets go to the game where i can be completely uncomfortable and drink watered down beer.

Women very often breastfeed until a child is a year old.

She doesn't have to drink.

And for Pete's sake, quite a few women, including myself, are sports fans and might enjoy a game, baby, breastfeeding, and all.

But as someone who is obviously neither a woman nor a parent, I suppose you do have a right to dictate the social and family lives of total strangers in the interests of your personal comfort.

FYI....

Breast feeding women are not supposed to be drinking alcohol....it leads to drunk babies....

And aside from that, if she drinks who would drive you home?

pax said:
Women very often breastfeed until a child is a year old.

She doesn't have to drink.

And for Pete's sake, quite a few women, including myself, are sports fans and might enjoy a game, baby, breastfeeding, and all.

But as someone who is obviously neither a woman nor a parent, I suppose you do have a right to dictate the social and family lives of total strangers in the interests of your personal comfort.

And as a woman and/or parent, you have the right to dictate my life and subject me to breast feeding in the stands? Seems like a double standard there.

As a paying customer of whatever team I am seeing, I have the right to complain about whatever is impeding my enjoyment of the game. As such, proper steps will be taken. By the same token, you could say that I am too drunk and could get me tossed out but that's life. I won't cry about it.

randhail said:

And as a woman and/or parent, you have the right to dictate my life and subject me to breast feeding in the stands?

'Subject me to breast feeding'

Well I don't think anyone has envisaged forcibly breast feeding you in the stands.....:wink:

financeguy said:

'Subject me to breast feeding'

Well I don't think anyone has envisaged forcibly breast feeding you in the stands.....:wink:

I will refrain from commenting.....

:der:

:combust:

randhail said:

And as a woman and/or parent, you have the right to dictate my life and subject me to breast feeding in the stands?

Talk sense. At least try to do so.

Nobody is subjecting you to anything, unless breastfeeding females flop 'em out, move directly into your view/do an Irish jig right in your face. That's not what's happening though, is it?

As a paying customer of whatever team I am seeing, I have the right to complain about whatever is impeding my enjoyment of the game. As such, proper steps will be taken.

Proper steps?

Here's a bit of LOGIC. I'll take it slowly for you.

If you paid $100 for a ticket, then these women will have done so too. They are paying customers just like you. They are just as entitled to watch the game in comfort as you are, and if that involves discreet breast feeding, then so be it. What makes you a superior customer? Absolutely nothing, so get real.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with you anyway, quite frankly, unless the woman is harrassing you. so get off your godforsaken high horse.

If you are that easily distracted from the game you have paid to see, then you've got problems.

Last edited:
randhail said:
By the same token, you could say that I am too drunk and could get me tossed out but that's life. I won't cry about it.

Your being drunk could lead you to do something that could put other people's lives in danger.

A woman breastfeeding discreetly harms...who?

And not every person who goes to a game will drink while there.

Also, Dread, I just want to say that your posts in this thread have been making me laugh :) :up:. You're a funny person. Keep the lighthearted humor going :yes:.

Angela

randhail said:

As a paying customer of whatever team I am seeing, I have the right to complain about whatever is impeding my enjoyment of the game. As such, proper steps will be taken. By the same token, you could say that I am too drunk and could get me tossed out but that's life. I won't cry about it.

Well you still haven't explained why seeing a baby at a woman's breast is offensive.

I'm not allowed to kick the fat painted guys out.

This thread is pissing me off too much. Until someone comes up with a LOGICAL reason as to why a woman who's breastfeeding shouldn't be allowed in public or a sports arena then I will no longer post in this thread.

So you probably won't see me posting in here again.

Bye.

Let's look at it this way....

Why do we say "please" and "thank you"?

There is no logical reason why we should. There is no harm if we don't.

I just read this whole thing through and I don't know whether to laugh my ass off or bang my head against the wall whilst cussing the ignorance...

:lmao: or :banghead:
:hmm:

echo0001 said:
I just read this whole thing through and I don't know whether to laugh my ass off or bang my head against the wall whilst cussing the ignorance...

:lmao: or :banghead:
:hmm:

The rest of us, I think, have settled for a bit of both. With just a few exceptions.

I have just one thing left to say to y'all:
banana1.jpg

THIS THREAD'S BANANAS - b.a.n.a.n.a.s.

bananabounce.gif
bananabounce.gif
banan.gif
danban.jpg

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
As a parent who has been actively involved with the rearing of our two children, I hope I “qualify” as understanding enough to respond.

This has been the most telling response to date:

Public breastfeeding has occurred for decades. But the key word here is discretion. We seem to continue to evolve into a society where we measure our activities by our perceived rights and equalities, and lose sight of the fact that we are still members of a larger society. Perhaps we have lost a bit of that Chip N’ Dale quality (“after you” “no, no, after you”) when we always cared about how our activities impacted the people around us.

So far, no one has articulated a compelling principle for open public breastfeeding that would exclude activities to which we would object (masturbation, personal grooming (i.e., clipping toe nails), chewing with our mouths open, etc.). To me, the strongest argument in favor is the health of the child. Unfortunately, that is not really a working priority for society today.

This has to be the biggest steaming pile of bullshit ever put forth by you, nbc. I mean the second paragraph, by the way. Your first I agree with on the whole, as irrelevant as my agreement on any issue is, with you.

What compelling argument do you need, nbc, or randhail, or any of you others for a woman who you dont even know, to feed her baby? See, my biggest beef with you lot right now is, I'm frankly not interested in any argument for or against masturbation, toileting, sex, or eating in public. Not a one of those natural events. I'm concerned right now with breastfeeding and what right you might have to impact on me feeding my child. I'm going to have surgery in about 4 months to give me #2 and I'm going to feed this one as I did with the first. I ask you; what say do YOU have in me feeding my child? I dont know half of your first names even. And you say we offer no compelling argument? That is so utterly offensive, I'd be happy to tell every single one of you right now to fuck off sideways. While I dot know your first names, you certainly dont know mine. You say women whipping out their breasts is inappropriate. Of course that is. Breastfeeding mothers on the whole, do not whip them out, expose them, or make any kind of show about it. You are all intelligent enough to be aware of this. You want a compelling argument as to what I (Anna with #2) do with my child and what right I have to apease you, on a decision which rests SOLELY with my husband and I (his name is Mat, btw), YOU want a compelling argument? You can really get stuffed. Anyone who thinks the onus is on the breastfeeding mother can truly shove it. How completely offensive.

All women are capable of being decent about this, of maintaining subtlety. No one wants a show - the mother and the onlookers. Women who are obnoxious about are just that - obnoxious. Like many things, these women are not going to be a compelling reason for the entire feeding process to be abolished for your own comfort. I'm certainly not going to be lumped with them, those who shamelessly go about not showing discretion, and I am not going to answer to any overstuffed righteous pricks who seek me out to push their unwelcome and uninformed views on.

Wow. This is a FANTASTIC thread. The only one better I've seen lately is a thread on my favorite site for international news, in the Black Flag Cafe at Comebackalive.com, where international travelers to Third World countries discuss the different kinds of toilet facilities and how to deal with them. Not for the squeamish, but lots of practical advice, I'd have to admit!

Thanks for everyone replying to my post yesterday. You're all right, of course..."breaking in" our children, esp boys, to the noraml sight of their mother's breat seems to be the right way to go, it's just that America's latent strain of ingrained Puritanism is so strong, it seems sometimes a longest orad to travel before we actualy get to place of common sense. I have no kids yet, but have always planned to breastfeed mine when I have them 9God willing). All this is practical advice. And I guess, witht hat post, I was admitting my own evolving attitudes at the time, too...

Back
Top Bottom