Can we have the option of disallowing comments in Journals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are tired of defending comments, maybe its time to write feelings/beliefs/etc.elsewhere! :shrug:

...Or are people fishing for support only?

I guess I am confused on why you put stuff in a public journal like this unless you WANT comments/attention.

If it is for the reason of "therapy" - couldn't you just do thatin Microsoft Word or a book/diary or something?

I have seen a handful of people get SO wrapped up about comments others have made in "their" journal, in a public setting. If you cannot handle the feedback, don't post in a place that allows you to get feedback.

I really think the focus of this "censorship of others in 'my' journal" discussion is not focused on the real issue.

a solution that I fell upon with another Interference user and their journal: Make the entry private. If you want to let individuals see the entry, PM or e-mail them the URL. It is a private entry - but it is still out there in URL-land. With the URL, the people you want to read/see the entry still can't, but the general public cannot see it. I found this out when I bookmarked a journal and then it became private...I could still access the journal, despite the fact that the individual made the entry private. :shrug:

^
i didn't know you could do that.

I have to say though that if you don't like someones journal it would be good manners to stay out of it rather than post something mean :shrug:

but i guess that can't be controlled

redkat said:
^

I have to say though that if you don't like someones journal it would be good manners to stay out of it rather than post something mean :shrug:

You'd think people would have better manners, but this is the internet so none of us can really be held responsible for our actions now, can we? [/sarcasm] (PS- That wasn't directed at you, Kat :) )

zoney! said:
I really think the focus of this "censorship of others in 'my' journal" discussion is not focused on the real issue.

Which is?

redkat said:
^

Agreed.

Elvis said:
What I think you arent understanding is that our Journals feature here on Interference.com is not a copy-cat of other journal or blog sites. They have a very unique set of 'rules' and for the most part have operated without many complaints since their inception. The Journals here are a bonus feature and in no way designed to detract from the main features of the site.

The Journals are not blogs. They arent customizable, they wont ping or trackback, you cant delete comments, or restrict certain entries to not allow comments (unless its private), etc.

It is BY DESIGN that Journal 'owners' can't delete comments. Having people be able to freely comment adds a certain natural level of self 'moderation' for those keep Journals.

:love:

popcorn.gif

Angela Harlem said:

Damn you! :mad: :madspit:

Now I want popcorn.

:angry: :grumpy:

(at least you didn't setting off cravings for tea, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate, and pot.... :rolleyes: :D )

indra said:

Damn you! :mad: :madspit:

Now I want popcorn.

:angry: :grumpy:

(at least you didn't setting off cravings for tea, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate, and pot.... :rolleyes: :D )

Damn! Now you've gone and done it! Off to make brownies.

u2granny said:

Damn! Now you've gone and done it! Off to make brownies.

Oooh! That sounds really good!

Popcorn, pot brownies, and tea. Breakfast of champions. :D

Back to comments in journals...it does seem to me that if someone makes clear that certain comments are unwelcome or hurtful the decent thing to do is respect those wishes and not continue to post them, even if technically the comments are allowed. :shrug:

I don't think that comments are unwelcome, just negative ones. If people don't want negative comments them have a private journal. It's as easy as that. Sometime you can't have it both ways. :shrug:

this isn't about journal comments, but it is about the journals, so instead of starting another thread i'll ask here and hope elvis sees it.

i always wondered why journals is the only place you can't get to by using the forum jump feature and could it ever be added?

bonosgirl84 said:
this isn't about journal comments, but it is about the journals, so instead of starting another thread i'll ask here and hope elvis sees it.

i always wondered why journals is the only place you can't get to by using the forum jump feature and could it ever be added?

Because I've never added it.

WildHoneyAlways said:
I don't think that comments are unwelcome, just negative ones. If people don't want negative comments them have a private journal. It's as easy as that. Sometime you can't have it both ways. :shrug:

Or people could try to show a bit of respect for other people.

...nah, that's obviously too much to expect.

indra said:

Or people could try to show a bit of respect for other people.

...nah, that's obviously too much to expect.

I don't equate an unwanted comment with disrespect. A difference of opinion is not disrespect. Seriously, if you don't want to know what people think, don't put it out there for people to read.

If there are personal attacks they should be reported. Other than that, if it's public, people will comment. :shrug:

:up:

Just because I put my opinion or suggestion in "your" journal doesn't mean I am being disrespectful...it means I am giving you my opinion.

If you do not like other people's opinions, and do not want to see things in other ways than your own...use a diary!

it's reasonably obvious what will generally elicit comments in any said journal.

1. U2 negative entries
2. U2 positive entries
3. U2 pictures
4. fellow member gossip
5. strong positioned entries (religion, politic, sports...anything really)
6. self derision/immolation

If you're going to publically encroach into any of the above topics, you have to expect critique...really, it is quite simplistic to believe otherwise.

DISCLAIMER:
This is by no means holy tenet, more a guideline of sorts.

Back
Top Bottom