Bush WH "holiday" cards angers Christians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:

or maybe it's just fun to fight for some people :shrug: if going around in circles ad infinitum for no purpose is fun I suppose

as for me I'll watch my dog chase her tail

:uhoh:

I guess I'm just shallow 'cause sometimes watching a dog chase it's tail is fun for me. :reject: :)

But I do think that everyone who posts in FYM does like the debate/fight, at least a little bit. Granted some like it more than others, but not one of us would post here if we didn't enjoy it on some level.

nbcrusader said:

Just taking the statements you all shovel.... :|

i suppose everyone, all groups, enjoy the feeling of persecution.

a sense of crisis is a great way to reassert identity.

we all do it.

Going to my work's Chanukah party this Saturday night (NHL game!) and Christmas party next Friday. Yaay! It's great fun, and you know, people really appreciate celebrating together, regardless of whether or not the holiday is personal to them.

indra said:

But I do think that everyone who posts in FYM does like the debate/fight, at least a little bit. Granted some like it more than others, but not one of us would post here if we didn't enjoy it on some level.

I'm just wondering at what point does it become beating a dead horse? Then again I wonder that about many things here..and it has gotten rather personal in this thread too, I don't find that necessary or all that attractive.

For the record I love Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, whatever. I don't care if you say Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas to me, just don't assume certain things about me because of my religious beliefs and/or affiliation, and don't disrespect that in other ways. I really don't think that's asking too much. It has gone too far when it can't even be called a Christmas tree, like I said in one of the other Idon'tknowhowmanythreads there have been about this topic.

i *loved* this quote:

Quote:
"I think it's more important to put Christ back into our war planning than into our Christmas cards," said the council's general secretary, the Rev. Bob Edgar, a former Democratic congressman.

because Jesus doesn't need body armor. or a post-war plan.

:yes:

I don;t like it when "God" and "war" are in a sentence together, for whatever reason.

Quite frankly, God's place is anywhere but in warfare, in my opinion...

Last edited:
indra said:

Yeah, I thought of that a bit later, but since the person I was making the comment to and I had settled the issue (we're going to dance naked around the festivus pole chanting whatever the hell we feel like chanting :yes: )

I heard someone shout "pictures!!"

But it wasn't me :shifty: :wink:

Why is political correctness often considered to be a liberal cause?
Consider:
Europe is more liberal than the united states.
In Europe Christmas decorations are everywhere, including nativity scences in Trafalgur Square.
Therefore, the relationship between political correctness and liberalism is faulty.

Sherry Darling said:

I could give a shit about being PC. As I Christian, I do care about imitating Christ. The attitude you've expressed above is the opposite of that.

and now you've somehow acted even more holier than christ.

nice work, champ.

Zoomerang96 said:

and now you've somehow acted even more holier than christ.

nice work, champ.

yeah.... because this is REALLY a great example of Christ-like, transcendant dialogue.....

Originally posted by Zoomerang96
i'll wish anyone a merry christmas if i want to, and if they don't celebrate it - too bad. they are now, cause i told them to.

Care to point out how you've manage to infer that Sherry assumes she's acted "holier than Christ" by simply being considerate and respectful of others?

Falsely accusing someone of blasphemy is not something I take lightly. Your post has crossed the line of being immature to deplorable.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Sherry is one of the most polite, humble people who posts here- that's unnecessary

Sherry's post was unusual for her. It, in essense, said: I live a Christ-like life, you (the person insisting on "Christmas" instead of "holiday" to which she was responding) do not.

Zoomerang96 pointed this out in a less than polite way.

Now, if Sherry's words had been posted as an exchange between two other people, I'm fairly confident FYM would have had a much different response.

Doug, you *will not* put words in my mouth. Quote the post where I said those who insist on "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays" are less Christ-like, or withdrawl the accusation.

What I *did* say, for both Z and Doug, is that this

i'll wish anyone a merry christmas if i want to, and if they don't celebrate it - too bad. they are now, cause i told them to.

is about as unloving and arrogant an attitude as I've seen expressed here. You don't even need to be a Christian to see that. Z, are you seriously going to defend that as kind, humble way to treat people? NBC, are you going to defend it? If so, in my opinion, you've both lost all perspective about this issue. And I have lost all interest in this thread. :sigh:

To those who posted for me--thanks for your kind words. :hug: Doug's probably right--I need to come up with a loving way to explain my position. I think I've done that on previous threads on this topic. I was--and am--so stunned though by the fact that Z. posted what he posted in defense of Christianity that I'm afraid for now at least, this is the best I've got.

Last edited:
blueyedpoet said:
Why is political correctness often considered to be a liberal cause?
Consider:
Europe is more liberal than the united states.
In Europe Christmas decorations are everywhere, including nativity scences in Trafalgur Square.
Therefore, the relationship between political correctness and liberalism is faulty.

Possibly, but I think this has also to do with the US constitution and the US having avowedly secular roots unlike many European countries.

Sherry Darling said:
Doug, you *will not* put words in my mouth. Quote the post where I said those who insist on "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays" are less Christ-like, or withdrawl the accusation.

What I *did* say, for both Z and Doug, is that this

is about as unloving and arrogant an attitude as I've seen expressed here. You don't even need to be a Christian to see that. Z, are you seriously going to defend that as kind, humble way to treat people? NBC, are you going to defend it? If so, in my opinion, you've both lost all perspective about this issue. And I have lost all interest in this thread. :sigh:

To those who posted for me--thanks for your kind words. :hug: Doug's probably right--I need to come up with a loving way to explain my position. I think I've done that on previous threads on this topic. I was--and am--so stunned though by the fact that Z. posted what he posted in defense of Christianity that I'm afraid for now at least, this is the best I've got.

well said, SD.

i think there are several people on here who have no perspective on this issue, it's very all-or-nothing and the possibility that someone, somewhere might not want to have "merry christmas" shoved in their face at every turn, yet Zoomerang appears to believe that this is his right to do so, which strikes me as a sure sign of insecurity.

i think everyone needs to grow up.

myself too. i started this thread because i thought the hysterics in the original article were worth their weight in gold. i snickered, a few times, and tossed it up there because i knew it would stir things up a little bit, but i thought everyone would find it funny.

though i will note that there are people in here who bemoan the lack of humor on FYM -- yet they are routinely the least receptive to humor when it comes to topics to which they are sensitive.

you can't have it both ways, and blaming the board for your own neurosis is hardly constructive.

nbcrusader said:

Sherry's post was unusual for her. It, in essense, said: I live a Christ-like life, you (the person insisting on "Christmas" instead of "holiday" to which she was responding) do not.

Now, if Sherry's words had been posted as an exchange between two other people, I'm fairly confident FYM would have had a much different response.

I can't imagine she would EVER imply anything of the kind, much less say it-no way, not from my observation of Sherry for quite a while around here. Sorry, I don't have the stomach to read any of the previous pages of this thread-once or again.

I for one don't care who the exchanges are between (although clear patterns might emerge as to people who want to continue to single out certain others)-it's all about the words said and the tone for me. And much of this thread is garbage in that way as far as I'm concerned :sigh: and beating a tired old horse.

Yikes! My interpretation of Sherry's post was this: She's a Christian and wants to be Christ-like by being respectful and sensitive to those that celebrate other holidays besides Christmas. I think she was simply disagreeing that even though as Christians WE celebrate Christmas, it's terribly un-Christian to assume that everyone else has to as well.

I'm completely repulsed by the fact that Z claims Sherry thinks she's holier than Christ, regardless of what she said or what she intended. When people start shit like that, they need to be called out on it.

nbcrusader said:

indeed, that was my point.

Last edited:
and no, i don't REALLY believe she think she's holier than thou.

but her statement came across that way to me.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Yikes! My interpretation of Sherry's post was this: She's a Christian and wants to be Christ-like by being respectful and sensitive to those that celebrate other holidays besides Christmas. I think she was simply disagreeing that even though as Christians WE celebrate Christmas, it's terribly un-Christian to assume that everyone else has to as well.

And the first part of Sherry's statement conveyed just that. Just to be fair, it was the "The attitude you've expressed above is the opposite of that" portion of the statement that added a dose of judgment.

There's a lot of thoughts I have about this, too many to set down, so I'll just ask when we let Ebenezer start dictating terms of the holiday?

You don't want to celebrate Christmas? Don't. But about 80% of America is Christian, and CHRISTMAS is the holiday they celebrate. If you'd like to celebrate something else, or go somewhere where it's not celebrated at all, there are plenty of countries where you can do that. Have a good time, send me a Christmakwanakah card.

nathan1977 said:
If you'd like to celebrate something else, or go somewhere where it's not celebrated at all, there are plenty of countries where you can do that. Have a good time, send me a Christmakwanakah card.

This is exacly the arrogance and the problem we have here in America.

*Pokes head in tentatively*

Er...yeah, stepping into this thread rather late. Just going to avoid the arguments that have been going on here and simply say this:

MrsSpringsteen said:
For the record I love Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, whatever. I don't care if you say Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas to me, just don't assume certain things about me because of my religious beliefs and/or affiliation, and don't disrespect that in other ways. I really don't think that's asking too much. It has gone too far when it can't even be called a Christmas tree, like I said in one of the other Idon'tknowhowmanythreads there have been about this topic.

:up:. Agreed. Personally, I see both sides here. On the one hand, if Christians were in the minority here in this country, I would be willing to bet some of them would expect the majority to bend to their will and have "Happy Holidays" be the greeting of choice so they didn't feel left out and all that sort of thing. And if that were indeed the case, then that should be taken into consideration with the way things are now in regards to which religions are in the majority and which are in the minority.

But, at the same time, we can't go tiptoeing around constantly worried we'll offend people. I'm not going to tell people what they can and can't be offended by, but personally, it just seems a bit odd to me that people can get that upset over something as simple as a greeting, a well-wishing from a person who most likely is not meaning it to be offensive at all. Regardless, everyone has the right to be as offended as they want at whatever they want. But to try and tell people flat out what they should and shouldn't say just seems...I just don't agree with that, personally. Free speech and all that good stuff.

I personally do celebrate Christmas, so I don't really care if anyone says "Merry Christmas" to me. And I personally won't go out of my way to upset anyone who doesn't celebrate the holiday. But I still think people should greet others during the holiday season however they wish, and I also just personally think that considering all the other crazy stuff going on in the world right now, how someone greets you really isn't that much of an issue in the grand scheme of things. Besides, I would assume that every holiday, regardless of the religion it is affiliated with, would be promoting peace and harmony and goodwill and everything, so for people to be fighting at this time of year is kinda sad.

But meh. That's just my 2 cents.

*Quietly shuffles off to a corner and watches debate continue*

Angela

Back
Top Bottom