Brokeback Mountain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:
It says on her official web site that she was married a few times, not that that even means anything of course.

i have no idea where i got that from, but i have thought it for a while ... :shrug: who knows?

While at some point it is indeed necessary for the heterosexual to understand the homosexual, I'm not sure we're there yet. What i mean is, I'm not sure heterosexuals yet understand homosexuals. And, I say that as a heterosexual. And, that's why I say that Brokeback Mountain - as it was assembled by all heterosexuals - is the heterosexual take on homosexuality. Certainly, there is some understanding, but we're not there yet.
If Brokeback Mountain had been about two, leather-clad lovers in New York City, would American society so positively responded to the movie? I doubt it. Our culture has, generally, accepted/loved/liked the movie because the gay people "act normal" as one of my friends put it. While he meant no harm, what he was saying is indicative of our heteronormative society. We want our men to be manly and we want our women to graceful and beautiful.
Ultimately, the movie is a homosexual love story. You cannot - in a sense - take the homosexual part out of it. What do most people consider a love story to consist of? A heterosexual man and woman falling in love and maybe wrestling through hard times. Because of our language and our culture, we cannot afford to call a homosexual love story, just a love story.

By MIN LEE, AP Entertainment Writer Wed Mar 8

Ang Lee said promoting his Oscar-winning gay romance "Brokeback Mountain" was an arduous process and it was a disappointment not to win Oscar best picture.

"We've won every award since September, but missed out on the last one, the biggest one," Lee said in a post-Oscar news conference in Los Angeles that aired in Hong Kong Wednesday.

But he added that feeling disappointed "is human nature. And it wasn't for myself. I led a whole team of people."

"Brokeback Mountain" won Lee the best director Oscar, making him the first Asian winner of the prize. The film also won best musical score and best adapted screenplay, but lost the best picture award to "Crash" — a result considered a big upset.

Among the accolades "Brokeback" has racked up are the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, four Golden Globes, including best drama motion picture, and four British Academy Film Awards, also including best picture.

The Oscar best picture win by "Crash," which addresses racism, has stirred speculation that the U.S. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the voting body for the Oscars, has an American bias or that it wasn't prepared to give its top honor to a movie about gays.

Lee said the process of marketing "Brokeback" was tough.

"My work was really hard. I had to fight many battles. Personally, I don't like doing press, but once a film is on the Oscar track, for half a year you're fighting the same battle," he said.

Lee said he wasn't trying to make a social statement with "Brokeback," the love story between two ranch hands set in conservative Wyoming.

"For me, 'Brokeback' isn't rebellious at all. It's a very ordinary movie. People call it groundbreaking or what not. It puts a lot of pressure on me. But I didn't feel this way when I was making the movie. This is the way gays are. It's just that they have been distorted. When two people are in love and are scared, that's the way they are," Lee told reporters.

However, Lee said he is somewhat of a rebel at heart.

"I had to fight with my background ... but I also had to live in the general environment. People have to be categorized. That's very annoying. Don't you find that annoying? Life shouldn't be like that. The world isn't like that. There's a lot of complexity. There are exceptions," Lee said.

Lee faced resistance for pursuing a career in film when growing up in his native Taiwan, a traditional, academically oriented society that looks down on the entertainment business.

He said movies are a form of dissent.

"That's why we make movies. Otherwise, we just have a leader issue an order and we all follow. Why else would there be filmmakers like us? Why else would people lock themselves in a dark room and watch a movie together?" Lee said.

I've been thinking about this for a while. I might end up sounding like a heterosexual apologist, though. :huh:

If the same movie had been made with gay actors in the leads, I think many straight Americans would have been able to pigeonhole the movie as a "gay movie" and then dismiss it. By having straight actors play gay men, mainstream straight America was better equipped to deal with the subject. It made it easier to deal with if they could tell themselves over and over "They're really straight, they're really straight."

Whaddya'll think?

I dunno ... I would guess people who had a problem with the movie because of the gay characters wouldn't care one whit that the actors were really straight.

And this might be a stretch, but I would also guess that anyone who had a problem with the movie because of the gay characters wouldn't be reading articles/interviews about the movie, or necessarily know anything about the actors, and therefore wouldn't know whether or not the actors were gay or straight.

martha said:
Whaddya'll think?

i agree.

i also think it's a victory -- and speaks highly of young people -- that two incomparably handsome, young, straight, leading men are willing to play gay cowboys simply because of the integrity of the project and the quality of the screenplay and director.

yes, they trot out Michelle Williams and talk about past relationships with Kirstin Dunst all the time, like on that horrid Oprah segment, but it is a step in the right direction. where would the civil rights movement have gone had young, white liberals not joined the fight?

I liked BrokeBack Mountain. On winning the award for best picture even if the actors playing the cowboys were really gay or not, I think the results would have been the same.

Irvine511 said:

i agree.

i also think it's a victory -- and speaks highly of young people -- that two incomparably handsome, young, straight, leading men are willing to play gay cowboys simply because of the integrity of the project and the quality of the screenplay and director.

yes, they trot out Michelle Williams and talk about past relationships with Kirstin Dunst all the time, like on that horrid Oprah segment, but it is a step in the right direction. where would the civil rights movement have gone had young, white liberals not joined the fight?

Oh, I agree that it's a victory that this movie has done well and that these two young actors were willing to play the roles they did; however, I'm just asking how much progress was really made.
By the by, my comments about the movie shouldn't be confused as me saying anyone's feelings about the movie, or how the movie spoke to them, are less valid.

blueyedpoet said:

By the by, my comments about the movie shouldn't be confused as me saying anyone's feelings about the movie, or how the movie spoke to them, are less valid.

Your comments didn't come across that way at all, and I really enjoyed reading them :)

Btw I read a while ago that Catherine Keener was hitting on Jake at the Golden Globes :rockon: :wink:

macphisto23 said:
I wont be watching this movie, I stay away from all movies with any kind of sex scenes, and nudity etc.. I dont understand why they have to show this in the majority of movies, can someone please explain this to me.

um, did you ever hear the saying "sex sells?" well there you go.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Your comments didn't come across that way at all, and I really enjoyed reading them :)

Btw I read a while ago that Catherine Keener was hitting on Jake at the Golden Globes :rockon: :wink:

ahh, thanks for your nice comment.
and, wouldn't you hit Jake?

[q]March 9, 2006
For Immediate Release
Contact: John Wells at 917-715-9263 or Linda Andrews at 210-885-4882

Hollywood, California-In an unprecedented show of support for Brokeback Mountain, a website discussion board has spearheaded a campaign to collect donations from around the world to place ads in trade and national publications in support of the movie. In the first 48 hours, the group raised nearly $16,000 from over 400 contributors, and a team of volunteers designed a full page color ad to run in the March 10 Daily Variety.

The ad campaign was started by members at the Ultimate Brokeback Forum as a positive way to deal with their emotions surrounding Brokeback Mountain’s loss for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. Instead of responding in anger, members wanted to find a way to thank the cast and crew of the film and to find a way to highlight Brokeback Mountain’s unprecedented string of Best Picture wins.

The disparate group quickly decided to start an ad campaign, and soon word spread to other sites, and donations started to pour in from around the world. “I think most fans of the film were stunned by the Best Picture surprise, which raised the question of how and why the Academy could have been so out of sync with virtually every other organization that awarded Best Picture honors," site organizer Dave Cullen said in explaining why so many diverse people worldwide were donating to the campaign.

According to industry watchers, no movie has generated this sort of fan response after a loss for Best Picture. Fans are happy their support for Brokeback Mountain is becoming part of industry lore. They hope that others looking for a way to honor Brokeback Mountain as the Best Picture of 2005 will contribute to the campaign, so more ads can run to help raise awareness that the film garnered nearly every Best Picture award bestowed for 2005. “Only one major organization did not name Brokeback Mountain as Best Picture,” says campaign chair Peter Greyson.
[/q]

ad-final.jpg

i posted a few thoughts in another thread, but i thought i might like to post them here, too, if that's ok.

i loved brokeback. it was an incredible film. the kind of film that stays with you for days. i went into it, of course, figuring that i would relate to the wives, but about halfway through, i realized i wasn't even watching a film about gay cowboys anymore. i was watching one of the most heartbreaking and tender love stories i have ever seen on film. it's really hard for me to put into words why this was so important to me.

on the way out of the theater i heard a woman say that it was nothing like she thought it would be and that she thought it was going to be a comedy. it made me wonder if she would think that because of the way gays are usually portrayed in hollywood, which is a far cry from the characters in this film.

anyway, the film left me with much to think about. it was melon or irvine, i can't remember which, who first presented the idea to me that placing all of the blame on someone who gets married even when they know they're gay isn't exactly fair. i thought a lot about that and began to realize how very true it is. the destruction that comes with oppression. this film really drove that point home for me. i've done a lot of forgiving.

bonosgirl84 said:
ianyway, the film left me with much to think about. it was melon or irvine, i can't remember which, who first presented the idea to me that placing all of the blame on someone who gets married even when they know they're gay isn't exactly fair. i thought a lot about that and began to realize how very true it is. the destruction that comes with oppression. this film really drove that point home for me. i've done a lot of forgiving.

:hug:

Friend told me about an essay on the web, written before Brokeback was released, on how and why heterosexuals get the gay theme in film 'more right' than gays themselves. Anyone with a link to this essay would be much appreciated...

foray

IT'S HARD OUT HERE FOR A WIMP

By Ann Coulter Wed Mar 8, 8:11 PM ET

In case you missed the Oscars last Sunday night, here are the highlights:

Best song went to a musical tribute to the overseers of human sex slaves, an occupation known as "pimping";

best picture went to a movie about racism in Los Angeles;

best supporting actor went to the movie about how oil companies murder people; and

best supporting actress went to the movie about how pharmaceutical companies murder people.

Curiously missing from Oscar night's festivities was any reference, even in passing, to the 150,000 brave Americans currently risking their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan.

On behalf of red state America, let me be the first to say: "Screw you, Hollywood."

Although I must tell you, overall, this Academy Awards ceremony was a major strategic retreat by Hollywood. Despite all their Bolshevik bluster about how Democratic politicians won't stand up to Republicans, the Hollywood left is as scared of decent patriotic Americans as the Democrats are.

"Brokeback Mountain" did not win best picture, "Munich" won nothing, and the Palestinian suicide bombers movie won nothing. There was no angry self-righteousness from Vanessa Redgrave against "Zionist hooligans," or from Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon for the Haitian boat people. There was no Bush-bashing. There was no Michael Moore. The host was not Whoopi Goldberg, so that's a big fat reward to every man, woman and child in America right there.

This may have been the most American Oscars yet, if America consisted of beautiful airheads in $50,000 dresses. And that was just the guys in "Brokeback Mountain."

I believe this marks the first time in Oscars history that an award recipient shouted, "Thank you, Jesus!" upon receiving his award. Admittedly, this was the only part of the speech that didn't have to be bleeped and it was for a song titled, "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp," but it's still a step forward.

Jon Stewart, this year's host, was very funny -- but not quite as funny as the fact that the audience didn't get the jokes. (There were a lot of actors in the audience.) Apparently, the one comedy bit capable of bringing down a house of actors is: Ben Stiller hopping around in a green unitard.

However liberal Stewart is personally, his best jokes are always mildly conservative.

He twitted the Hollywood audience, saying:

"I have to say it is a little shocking to see all these big names here, these huge stars. The Oscars is really, I guess, the one night of the year where you can see all your favorite stars without having to donate any money to the Democratic Party."

Actually, between George Clooney's posturing and the ode to pimpdom winning "best song," I think Oscar night was more of a fund-raiser for the Republican Party.

George Clooney made the only stand for liberal Hollywood, smugly declaring:

"We are a little bit out of touch in Hollywood every once in a while. I think it's probably a good thing. We're the ones who talked about AIDS when it was just being whispered, and we talked about civil rights when it wasn't really popular. ... (T)his group of people gave Hattie McDaniel an Oscar in 1939 when blacks were still sitting in the backs of theaters. I'm proud ... to be part of this community, and proud to be out of touch."

Forget about Hollywood being ahead of the big issues: Hollywood has never even been on time for the big issues. This is why, for example, in the middle of an epic war with Islamic fascists, Hollywood is still making movies about the Nazis. Now and then, just for variety, they tackle a more current topic, like the Jim Crow era.

Even on AIDS -- which is something you'd expect people like Clooney to know something about -- Hollywood was about seven years behind. Wait, no -- bad choice of words. Even on AIDS, Hollywood got caught with its pants down. Still no good. On AIDS, Hollywood got it right in the end. Oh, dear ... Note to self: Must hire two more interns to screen hate mail.

The point is: The Hollywood set didn't start wearing AIDS ribbons to the Oscars until 1992:

10 years after The New York Times described AIDS;

seven years after AIDS was the cover story on Life magazine;

seven years after AIDS was in People magazine;

five years after Oprah did a show on AIDS.

Only recently has George Clooney heard about segregation. (He's against it.) But he still can't nail down the details of something that ended nearly half a century ago.

Contrary to Clooney's impassioned speech, no theaters ever forced black people to sit in the back. If you were trying to oppress people, you would make them sit in the front, which are the worst seats in the house. Or you'd just make them watch a George Clooney movie.

Annie Proulx is mad:

[q]
Blood on the red carpet

Annie Proulx on how her Brokeback Oscar hopes were dashed by Crash

Saturday March 11, 2006
The Guardian

Ain't no Mountain high enough ... Ang Lee with his Oscar for best director. Photograph: Kevork Djansezian/AP. More photographs

On the sidewalk stood hordes of the righteous, some leaning forward like wind-bent grasses, the better to deliver their imprecations against gays and fags to the open windows of the limos - the windows open by order of the security people - creeping toward the Kodak Theater for the 78th Academy Awards. Others held up sturdy, professionally crafted signs expressing the same hatred.
The red carpet in front of the theatre was larger than the Red Sea. Inside, we climbed grand staircases designed for showing off dresses. The circular levels filled with men in black, the women mostly in pale, frothy gowns. Sequins, diamonds, glass beads, trade beads sparkled like the interior of a salt mine. More exquisite dresses appeared every moment, some made from six yards of taffeta, and many with sweeping trains that demanded vigilance from strolling attendees lest they step on a mermaid's tail. There was one man in a kilt - there is always one at award ceremonies - perhaps a professional roving Scot hired to give colour to the otherwise monotone showing of clustered males. Larry McMurtry defied the dress code by wearing his usual jeans and cowboy boots.

The people connected with Brokeback Mountain, including me, hoped that, having been nominated for eight Academy awards, it would get Best Picture as it had at the funny, lively Independent Spirit awards the day before. (If you are looking for smart judging based on merit, skip the Academy Awards next year and pay attention to the Independent Spirit choices.) We should have known conservative heffalump academy voters would have rather different ideas of what was stirring contemporary culture. Roughly 6,000 film industry voters, most in the Los Angeles area, many living cloistered lives behind wrought-iron gates or in deluxe rest-homes, out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city, decide which films are good. And rumour has it that Lions Gate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of Trash - excuse me - Crash a few weeks before the ballot deadline. Next year we can look to the awards for controversial themes on the punishment of adulterers with a branding iron in the shape of the letter A, runaway slaves, and the debate over free silver.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1727309,00.html

[/q]

Last edited:
Sorry, I know you didn't ask me..I think he's referring to how Jake and Heath were on Oprah recently and the audience was supremely annoying with their hooting and hollering and giggling about the kissing, etc. Oprah was silly about it too. I think Jake talked about going through the breakup w/ Kirsten, how he used that for the movie.

I understand Annie's anger but it just makes her look like a "sore loser", the way she said what she said.

i came across this posting on a blog, and thought it was very interesting:

[q]Suppose that Crash had received the most Oscar noms and had won the DGA, the PGA, the BATFAS for best picture and director, the Golden Globes for best picture and director, the Broadcast Film Critics Award for best picture and director, and the awards for best picture and director from the NY Film Critics, the LA Film Critics, and numerous other critics' groups. Then suppose that another movie that had won NONE of the major precursors for best picture or director is awarded the Oscar for best picture; indeed, assume that this other movie had no received any Golden Globes of any kind or even been nominated for one of the Golden Globe best pic award. And also suppose that there had been articles in a number of reputable publications (including the NY Times and the LA Times) stating that a number of AMPAS voters were refusing to vote for Crash (or even screen it) because it involves African Americans.

http://www.oscarwatch.com/moveabletype/archives/2006/03/roeper_has_enou.html#comments

[/q]

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Those who have yet to see "Brokeback Mountain," or those looking to see it again, will soon have a choice -- the DVD will hit stores April 4, even with the film still in theatrical release.

That's a rare overlap, said a spokeswoman for DVD distributor Universal Studios Home Entertainment. But, she explained, with the film still riding high on its eight Academy Award nominations and three Oscar wins, its theater run has been extended, bumping into the scheduled DVD release.

The DVD's special features include a profile of Oscar-winning director Ang Lee and interviews with Oscar-winning screenwriters Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana. Oscar-nominated stars Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal also discuss the rodeo and wrangling training they had to prepare for their roles as the cowboys in love.

The "Brokeback Mountain" DVD is expected to sell for $29.98.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
The American Family(facsism) Association can fuck off.

yes.

normally, i don't like to use expletives when reason and logic might suffice.

in this situation, it won't.

so they can fuck off.

A few years back I told a major church pastor, who was talking to a group about homosexuals, to go fuck himself at a music convention in san diego...my dad - a pastor himself- was not pleased and felt embarassed.

Back
Top Bottom