breaking bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh GAWWWD :(

I love this show so much!!

I'm still haunted by his "everybody dies in this" comment while watching scarface with walt jr.

Give Bryan Cranston the Emmy already, and as evil as Walt has become, I would still be giddy if I ever met Bryan in real life :heart:

I only say that because sometimes evil characters make me hate the actors too Heheh

I think the fact that we still follow him despite that passionate hate is the reason why Cranston is so good.

Pretty average episode full of loose-end-tying and unremarkable dialogue (the Walt/Jesse confrontation was a shadow of the living room scene from a couple episodes ago), and though I feel Mike's run ended at about where it should have (perhaps an episode too early), they've lost one of the best characters on the show. As powerful as the shock may have been for some, I can't help but feel this move will cause more harm than good in the long run. Perhaps Hank will take a central role again, as he digs deeper and discovers the truth about Heisenberg, forcing Walt to purchase a new identity at the last possible second. That should be interesting.

Sometimes I think we can over-focus on the perfection and "reality" of the writing. To me the idea that Mike must always and consistently flawless is every bit as unrealistic as him dropping his guard. In real life, every one make mistakes eventually. This is why I never buy into conspiracy theories--no one is flawless enough to pull off elaborate conspiracies.

To me, Mike's grown increasingly desperate and that has made him careless. By the end, when he has to run, I totally buy him being far more careless than usual. If he wasn't, I would have thought that was unrealistic. Realistically, did he have any real chance of getting away anyway? Probably not.

As far as the tenting houses. . .I dunno. I'm sure deep's right. Still I'm managing to suspend disbelief nonetheless.

I was the one arguing that Mike chaining Walter to the radiator was believable because he might have been really frazzled, etc....but, I mean, he had the wherewithal to escape from a bunch of cops in broad daylight while leaving his Grandkid behind....so, I'm thinking if he could pull that off, he could maybe not trust, of all people, Walter White, a man he has blatantly mistrusted from the moment he started dealing with him, and a man Mike has termed, out loud, a ticking time bomb, so come on. There are understandable mistakes made under pressure and then there are poorly thought out/written scenarios, and this was, unfortunately (and a VERY rare occurrence of) the latter.

I agree that being too nitpicky can be unfair and exhausting, but in this case, I think it's fairly justified.

I don't think it's nitpicky at all. There were dozens of lazy moments on this show where I really didn't care one bit, but if you have such an important moment, the writing and the build-up should be as good as it always is. Nobody argued that Mike has to be flawless and consistent. I saw somewhere a complaint that Mike just had to know that Walt put that methylamine in his car wash and I found that ridiculous. I also never complained about the radiator - that was a mistake I could completely buy. But in this case, it was one stupidity and carelessness after the other.

But when you know that you've just given a bag with a huge gun to a man who is well-known to be a back-stabbing son of a bitch, with whom you had dozens of disagreements and unhealthy tension during the past couple of weeks, and you don't even pull a gun out on him during the rendezvous... Yeah, I don't consider it nitpicking. I consider it a big flaw in an episode that should, or could have been one of the greats.

lazarus said:
Once again, have to "defend" Walter here. Mike saying that Walter should have "known his place" was rather ridiculous. Gus treated them like shit for a long time, and tried to kill Walt on multiple occasions. His value to the company was never fairly recognized or paid for.

:shrug:

Can't agree with this. The original deal was something like $1m per month for Walt and everything was fine until Walt killed those drug dealers with the car. Walt siding with Jesse over Gus is what pissed off Gus and started the animosity / murder attempts.

Also sad to see Mike go, thought that would be next week. Still unsure if we're ever going to see Walt in a position akin to the promo poster (not literally, just as top dog) but now that he's in bed with Declan's crew I can see why he needs the machine gun.

Is it pathetic that I hate reading posts such as above? You all make really good points but I feel like if I'd just watched the episode and not read any reviews or read this thread my opinion of it would still be extremely high.

I put forth the argument that Mike freaked out because he couldn't get to his daughter, that he had a tiny window to get away before being found. And so he wasn't in his usual collected state of mind. And because Walt warned him of the cops, in a momentary lapse of reason, he thought getting Walt to get the bag was the right option.

Back
Top Bottom