Bonos voice on new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
I think its strange that there havent been more discussing about Bonos vocals on new album.

A few examples
- NLOTH
His voice sound alot like JT Bono, but now with better song technique.

- MOS
Incredible performence

- COL
Very deep speeking

There are alot of high notes in full open voice and also the falsetto is stronger then in years.

Yeah, Bono showed up for the first time in 20 years

too bad Edge is M.I.A.

its always something with this fucking band

I think if Edge had a more prominant role on this album id love it, instead its a giant tease, or striptease as bono puts it

The album singing is amazing. The live stuff recently has me worried.

Union chapel, Mandela birthday, with BB King, Red Wire, Obama REHEARSAL performences where all amazing. The only one I thought was a bit weak was the Obama tv broadcast(but it was cold outside and he sang very high on the rehearsal the day before when it was about -20 digrees wich isnt good for the voice so I think that showed on the real performence).

Breathe was great yesterday and in the GOYB Usa Grammy live version the verses was sing a bit higher then the studio version. We should also remember that everytime they do gigs before the tour they havent learned to sing/play the new songs right. They are a bit nervous...

Even though there's not many high tones on MOS it's by far my favourite vocal performance from Bono on this album. Breathe also shows that he still can hit really high tones, even live. I have high hopes for the next tour, even though I'm certain of that his voice will sound very tired in the end after so many shows.

Even though there's not many high tones on MOS it's by far my favourite vocal performance from Bono on this album. Breathe also shows that he still can hit really high tones, even live. I have high hopes for the next tour, even though I'm certain of that his voice will sound very tired in the end after so many shows.

He did tree long legs on Vertigo tour without sounding tired. On 4th leg he was a bit tired. But on 5th leg he was in great shape.

what drugs are you smoking? Edge MIA?

If that isn't whinging for the sake of it, I'm not here!

Yeah, I also think this is ridiculous. All four band members are in very fine form on the album.

I think for Bono it's just stress. His voice sounded better at the Grammys when they were doing their first performance and started to suffer a bit afterwards. Breathe was fine yesterday. He has to get used to singing live again and take care of his voice, then he will be fine.

he was missing what are you smoking?

he used to be the soundscape and a main focal point and you cant tell me thats the case in this album. He'd show up for a few seconds on a couple songs then thats it. they shouldve turned those few seconds into minutes and built the songs around that instead of those damned forgettable synths that shouldve remained ambient. tell me one good Edge song on this album. Every song has him buried in the mix right with the synths until he plucks those few single notes at a given chorus. Even on Magnificent, which couldve been an edge song easily. Its ridiculous. And what he does play on those rare occasions is so obvious.

He took a back seat on this album, hell he's in the fucking trunk.

Yes, I think we got your point, you don't like the album, you've made that clear in several threads now. Move on, this is about Bono's voice.

ill give you boots and stand up, but stand up sucks so it doesnt matter.

I know were all supposed to be enthralled with U2 doing things different on the new album but some things shouldnt change and thats the edge as the main sound instrumentally. Thats U2. And if Bono is singing in his old style(aside from the new rap style) then edge can be the edge of old too, i dont get why new and different has to be boring.

He has his little moment in most songs, I know, but its not nearly enough and the eno synths and lanois shit are no replacement by any means.

To be fair i smell a troll, he's posted nothing but negative posts, and is now trying to derail a thread that is about bonos voice, but decides to say something about Edge,

as someone has already said, we get you dont like the album but why continue to go on about something that you dont like?,

oh wait heres where i get called a "cry baby" because i dont lead my life in a negative way.

whatever, i said i like bono's voice but it sucks that edge is MIA. someone commented on me smoking crack for thinking that and i commented back on why i think that. now im a troll and negative because im not full blown positive? You people cant handle any criticism about your precious U2 and Im the baby right?

my story hasnt changed since i heard this thing

Bono is in top form (singing)
Larry and Adam are in top form
Where the fuck is Edge?
Eno/Lanois crossed their boundaries.

bono still has that raspy old man voice that i hate, but its better than atyclb and bomb. but not even close to the GREAT he was on JT and AB! and
Stand up has Edge all-over it. no big or good guitar solos but there is always "the next album".

bono's vocals have never been more versatile! some of the lyrics could've been better, but bono's really taken leaps as a singer on this album. his voice isn't as strong as it was during the 80s, nor as sauve as it was during the 90s, but his vocals are better than ever!

Can we stick to the thread topic (civilly) and not get drawn into back-and-forths over who's been smoking what, please.

bono still has that raspy old man voice that i hate, but its better than atyclb and bomb. but not even close to the GREAT he was on JT and AB! and
Stand up has Edge all-over it. no big or good guitar solos but there is always "the next album".

I'm sorry but Bono hasn't sounded so young and fresh for quite some time now.

For me, as far as the vocals go on this album it's Cedars Of Lebanon FTW. FEZ-Being Born and White As Snow are high up there, too.

Since I haven't been a very productive member of the forum thus far thought I'd chime in with my two cents:

His voice sounds INCREDIBLE on the album. Absolutely beautiful....
Me thinks major vocal lessons have been in order! At times his voice sounds VERY much like the Achtung/Zooropa era before the smoking took its toll on POP.
The problem is that it is quite easy for a singer to sound GREAT on record - plenty of time to sing it one line at a time, etc. It's a whole different story whether a singer can handle the tunes within the confines of a full concert set-list.

The recent Breathe performance was breathtaking - he was on top form.
(The first 2 Boots performances, he was not sounding so good honestly)

My major concern is how he will sound singing these songs live. The recent tours have had some very rough moments Bono-wise - his struggling to hit the high notes and screeching (when he should have just went for the low notes and let Edge handle it).

IMO, the band could stand losing a few of the old standards he can no longer handle (PRIDE) - the Obama performance speaks for itself, I think (granted it was cold out). It is those older songs that kill his voice in concert and tend to take their toll on his vocal stamina. If he could stay in his lower range or use that falsetto to hit those (screaming) high notes, he'd stand a much better chance of sounding amazing during the tour.

Anyways, those are my two cents which are worth half a welfare food stamp.

I wonder, now that his voice seems stronger (we first heard this on the Vertigo 5th leg and it continues), will he revert back to screaming on stage? And then he'll be prone to wrecking his voice again. The Pride chorus for example, assuming they keep playing it, he might not be able to resist using his new strong voice to sing it the 'old' way which to me always sound like he was tearing his throat appart. I hope Bono remembers that he now knows how to sing and doesn't have to scream.

His voice sounds INCREDIBLE on the album. Absolutely beautiful....
Me thinks major vocal lessons have been in order! At times his voice sounds VERY much like the Achtung/Zooropa era before the smoking took its toll on POP.
The thing is the his voice is much stronger then on AB/Zooropa, the great thing about his voice in 91-93 was his falsetto and deep low voice, he had real problems hitting the high notes. Wide Awake was never hit correctly, he strained his voice alot when he tried. Something he realy nailed easy on Vertigo tour.

The problem is that it is quite easy for a singer to sound GREAT on record - plenty of time to sing it one line at a time, etc. It's a whole different story whether a singer can handle the tunes within the confines of a full concert set-list.

Well Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, LAPOE, OOTS... live versions was stronger then the studio versions.

[/QUOTE]

My major concern is how he will sound singing these songs live. The recent tours have had some very rough moments Bono-wise - his struggling to hit the high notes and screeching (when he should have just went for the low notes and let Edge handle it).
:huh:Name any show on Vertigo tour.

IMO, the band could stand losing a few of the old standards he can no longer handle (PRIDE) - the Obama performance speaks for itself, I think (granted it was cold out). It is those older songs that kill his voice in concert and tend to take their toll on his vocal stamina. If he could stay in his lower range or use that falsetto to hit those (screaming) high notes, he'd stand a much better chance of sounding amazing during the tour.

Anyways, those are my two cents which are worth half a welfare food stamp.

Bono has never been so close to the studio version like he was on the Obama REHEARSAL.
Also his stamina seem alot better yesterday. He sang Breathe alot fast, better breathing techniqe while singing. Notes he had to scream in the
80s/90s he now in full open clean voice

Bono's voice has sounded the best in years since Pop (which I think his voice suited the album). The problem is simply that since he ruined his chords on the Popmart tour his voice will never fully recover and there will be nasal when he sings. However, this suits him nowadays to give his voice a bit of personality.

In regards to Edge missing in action (Stand Up Comedy and Boots - rocking riffs, Unknown Caller - interesting solo which has been missing since The Fly, Breathe - industrial guitar and percussion drives the song)

Theres more guitar work on here than there has been for the last ten years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom