Bono's voice on 5th leg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
What I have heard so far he has done improvements from since the 4th leg, he nearly sounds like he did on the 2nd and 3rd leg. It sound like he is holding back his voice a little bit, like he is affraid that it should not hold some notes.

I think he might get more stronger now after a few shows, his voice hasnt been so active for the last months, so it needs to be warmed up, also the last week he had sing very much in rehearsals. I think we are goin to hear some realy high notes in the coming shows :)

Please post the high notes you heard so far on the 5th leg:

Here's mine list:

"Touch Me" note at the end of BD(Brisbane) he has never hold this note so long before

"Man" in Kite.

I think he might get more stronger now after a few shows, his voice hasnt been so active for the last months, so it needs to be warmed up, also the last week he had sing very much in rehearsals. I think we are goin to hear some realy high notes in the coming shows :)

I saw a news bit from Sydney today, and they had pieces from Elevation, and man, I was blown away by the sound of Bono's falsetto during the wooo ooohs!!!!
crisp clear and :drool: !
I wonder how his voice got this well suddenly, perhaps he finally quit the smokes?

His voice sounds so fantastic and youthful. I think when people notice that he may be holding back a bit, is probably a little shyness. He says he still gets stage fright to the point where he want to toss his cookies before a show.

But he sounds soooooooooo great!!!

Bono was still holding back a bit last night in regards to hitting his straight up high notes. However he did hit the kick ass tenor voice stuff that Pavarotti sung on Miss Sarajevo and of course the big note in SYCMIOYO.
Peterrrrr said:
What I have heard so far he has done improvements from since the 4th leg, he nearly sounds like he did on the 2nd and 3rd leg. It sound like he is holding back his voice a little bit, like he is affraid that it should not hold some notes.

Please post the high notes you heard so far on the 5th leg:

Here's mine list:

"Touch Me" note at the end of BD(Brisbane) he has never hold this note so long before

"Man" in Kite.

I don't mean to be harsh, Peterrrrr, but what is up with always measuring the quality of Bonos vocal in how high notes he sings? He always hits the same notes in every concert anyway. It's the way he sounds that is different. They don't tune their songs according to Bonos shape each concert. He hits the same notes every concert. He does not go up a whole octave when he's in really good shape (it would not be possible). And he certainly does not always go down a whole octave when he's in bad shape. He sings the same notes each concert (or else - inside the range of an octave - he would be off key).

It's just not a good measure of the quality of Bonos performance. At all.

Often it is best to hold back. Quality can't be measured in how high notes he hits. He could hit whatever note even though he's in bad shape, but hold back when he's in good shape.

No, the shape of his vocal can best be heard when he sings in a "normal" range, and these days it sounds really good.

Listen to WITS. He's in good shape. No worries.

Last edited:
ElectricalVoice said:
I don't mean to be harsh, Peterrrrr, but what is up with always measuring the quality of Bonos vocal in how high notes he sings? He always hits the same notes in every concert anyway. It's the way he sounds that is different. They don't tune their songs according to Bonos shape each concert. He hits the same notes every concert. He does not go up a whole octave when he's in really good shape (it would not be possible). And he certainly does not always go down a whole octave when he's in bad shape. He sings the same notes each concert (or else - inside the range of an octave - he would be off key).

It's just not a good measure of the quality of Bonos performance. At all.

Often it is best to hold back. Quality can't be measured in how high notes he hits. He could hit whatever note even though he's in bad shape, but hold back when he's in good shape.

No, the shape of his vocal can best be heard when he sings in a "normal" range, and these days it sounds really good.

Listen to WITS. He's in good shape. No worries.

What I mean with this thread was that members can post new things Bono has done this leg that he hasnt in the previous legs and tours :)

For an example the "touch" note in BD, he has never before hold that line for so long, also the "man" note in Kite, was longer then ever before.

I love when Bono hit high note or when he hold them for extra long, that why I started this thread :)

That's cool. I understand that. What I meant is that Bonos high notes is not necessarily a good measure of his vocal shape. He's an awesome singer, and I also get chills if he holds his high notes long and clear (which he often does these days). I thnink his voice is much better than during ZooTV. I only wanted to point out that there are times when his performance is excellent, without the notes being particularly high.

Nice observations :) What I always look for is whether Bono is singing full-throated, from the diaphragm, or singing "through his nose," as I think of it. On this tour - especially this leg, so far - for the first time since ZooTV, he is singing the former way all the time. On many of the Popmart and Elevation shows, even when Bono had his falsetto intact, the nasally timbre of his voice just took the power out of his performances. The Boston DVD (which I do like) is a good example of this.

Bonos voice was in fine form at Sydney I and II. He sang the opera bits in Miss Sarejavo, as well as a longer random opera bit later on. I was close enough to hear him actually singing as distinct from hearing it through the mike and he has a fabulous voice. Really healthy and wide range. We were next to some school leavers who before the show said that Bono had an ordinary voice. At the end of the concert I asked them again if they still felt the same way and they said no! Poor kids were so blown away they didnt know which end was up :lol:

The little bit of extra opera, what ever that was, was stunning. Really ethereal. Does anyone know what song/opera that was from?

The tenor part from Sarajevo - that, was beautiful! I think Pavarotti would have been very proud!

I think Australia has been ery lucky.

Once Bono sings for about 4 weeks his voice goes off.

But getting him fresh, means the Aussie concverts sounded exceptional.

I hope U2 always come over after a break, it increases their verve.

I thought his voice was best on leg 3.

He sounded raspy on what I heard from leg 4 and 5.

I downloaded the 'blackout' recording of Melbourne I and he sounds 110%, he's just bellowing out songs at the top of his lungs.... not holding back a bit.

love his voice this leg, sounds so real, so i dunno genuine i guess, and personally think this whole tour has been his best since maybe ZooTv

but love his AUS/NZ voice he sounds into the songs again

KUEFC09U2 said:
love his voice this leg, sounds so real, so i dunno genuine i guess, and personally think this whole tour has been his best since maybe ZooTv

but love his AUS/NZ voice he sounds into the songs again

There was a moment last night that gave me a flashback to Zoo TV Bono.

When i hear the recording i'll remember which song it was.

From what I have heard so far from the current leg, I am really blown away by his voice. I think it's amazing and I wish and hope that he takes good care of it. Bono has been blessed again by an amazing voice. Hearing him in Miss Sarajevo and Kite is simply breathtaking. I haven't heard Bad so far, but I hope I'll get to listen to this one very soon as well. The fans going to these concerts are indeed very lucky.

i've just heard Bad on Melbourne 2, he's fucking awsome on this one
having several recording from each tour,i have to say that this rendition on that song blows away any other post-1992 version
the way he hits the high notes on the "wide awake " part is unbelievable when you know how harse his voice was from 97 to 2005

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom