Bono's voice at Cannes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
What did u guys think of Bono's vocals at Cannes. I was a little shocked. You could barely hear him and his voice cracked like I have never heard durring the second feeeeeel in the first chorus of Vertigo then he didnt even do the second feeeel in the second chorus. So either he was having voice trouble or the recording sucked or his mike wasnt tunned correctly because like I said u could barely hear him. I couldnt beleive it because I was prepaired for some great vocals given the way he was singing at the end of the Vertigo tour. I was realy disappointed. What do u guys think the problem was and how do u think he sounded.

His voice wasn't that bad...I'm pretty sure the quietness was due to mic issues (he clearly didn't have laryngitis or anything :lol: ). He was a bit raspy, and I was a bit disappointed, but whatever.

he was probably really tired given he has had a busy week in germany and so on, also crappy sound set up .
just happy to see them perform regardless of the voice !

I just downloaded it and haven't heard it yet, but I keep seeing it mentioned... was it really that bad? Going to go listen to it now...

bonocomet said:
I just downloaded it and haven't heard it yet, but I keep seeing it mentioned... was it really that bad? Going to go listen to it now...

You can't really tell...it's too quiet. :lol:

I'm waiting for someone to mention this guy:

kermit.JPG

Ok just watched Vertigo, yeah you really can't judge on a recording that crappy, but I didn't think he sounded bad. His "kneels" at the ended sounded good.

What about Streets? the sound is from a stratocaster, how can he duplicate that sound on a gibson

Bono's voice sounded really tired yesterday, it wasn't rested or trained and he's been under a lot of stress recently. Plus, the technical circumstances and sound quality weren't too good either, that added to the impression. So , not very good circumstances at all, but still I loved it and thought it was great.

He rarely sounds good on a one-off night (plus they've been recording the album). I think his voice needs some warming up shows - he sounds much better on tour shows.

Anyone else think Vertigo was at least partially playback? I mean the band (Edge), not the vocals.

Last edited:
^I agree.

I just watched the performance on You Tube and I must say I found it worse yesterday, I liked it more now and didn't think that Bono's voice sounded too bad. I'd say the sound system didn't work very well and especially during Vertigo, his mic wasn't tuned right.

But overal, I think it was a really great performance, just a shame it didn't last any longer.

And Bono's french is really good.
:ohmy:

I just wish I could understand more of what he's saying.

Yeah Bono didn't sound too good did he? I was a bit surprised but his voice is more inconsistent these days, we have to accept that.

Well, as said Bono's one performence singing usally don't is the best. We have to understand that the last week could have been stressing from him, less sleep and drinkin.

He havent sing for a while(studio work can also be only writing and playing instruments) He may have smoke more... it can be for many reasons. Just listen to the Superdome performence in october last year, where he was very hoarse and less strong. I was a bit worrid that time, but then two months later when the 5th leg started I was suprised. And also the reason can be that he hurt his voice durning 5th leg because how high he pushed his voice on that leg.

But his voice was realy bad, I havent heard him singing like this since the ATYCLB promo gig Farm club and the bad days of Elevation tour :( It was like a big roof of hoarsness stoping him from going up in the higher keys.

But I can tell you that kermit wasnt there at this show :)

last unicorn said:
^I agree.

I just watched the performance on You Tube and I must say I found it worse yesterday, I liked it more now and didn't think that Bono's voice sounded too bad. I'd say the sound system didn't work very well and especially during Vertigo, his mic wasn't tuned right.

But overal, I think it was a really great performance, just a shame it didn't last any longer.

And Bono's french is really good.
:ohmy:

I just wish I could understand more of what he's saying.

I've been tryng to find out what he's been saying, but I can't figure it all out.

His pronouciation is sometimes lousy, an dmakes it difficult to know what he means.

Hopefully a native French will be able to help us out ;)

so far this what I got: (at the beginning of Streets)

Merci Thiery (organiser??)
Mercy Cannes
Bonne anniversaire, mon coeur est ??
Et nous nous sentons ici comme chez nous.
Cette plage j’y ai couché souvent et vous tous, je vous dois ?? could be j’ai vous droit, not sure..
Cette plage, est, ce soir, magnefique.

Thank you Thierry,
Thank you Cannes
Happy birthday, my heart is ??
And we feel at home here.
On this beach, I’ve slept many times and you all, (there I really have no idea what he’s on about)
This beach, tonight, looks/is magnificent.

At the end he says, thank you, see you soon (a bientôt)

Peterrrrr said:
Well, as said Bono's one performence singing usally don't is the best. We have to understand that the last week could have been stressing from him, less sleep and drinkin.

He havent sing for a while(studio work can also be only writing and playing instruments) He may have smoke more... it can be for many reasons. Just listen to the Superdome performence in october last year, where he was very hoarse and less strong. I was a bit worrid that time, but then two months later when the 5th leg started I was suprised. And also the reason can be that he hurt his voice durning 5th leg because how high he pushed his voice on that leg.

But his voice was realy bad, I havent heard him singing like this since the ATYCLB promo gig Farm club and the bad days of Elevation tour :( It was like a big roof of hoarsness stoping him from going up in the higher keys.

But I can tell you that kermit wasnt there at this show :)

I also read a lot on the threads that people blame the soundsytem for Bono sounding bad, but since when did soundsystems start make you get hard to hitting high notes and get your voice hoarse? :(

Last edited:
^No no, Bono's voice definitly sounded strained, that's nothing to do with a bad sound system or whatever. I just think that there were sound problems, too, and that added to the impression that his overall performance wasn't that good. You could hardly hear him in Vertigo, I think his mic might have been tuned the wrong way, but I am no expert on these things.

But then again, I don't think it's such a big deal, Bono's voice has been bad on many occasions before and then good or even great again on others. What he needs to sound alright is a little rest and practise, and obviously, he hasn't had much of that recently.
And the performance was announced very shortly before it took place, so I don't think they had much time to prepare.

Honestly, I felt a bit sorry for Bono because you could see him struggling quite hard. He did not look very happy.

last unicorn said:
^No no, Bono's voice definitly sounded strained, that's nothing to do with a bad sound system or whatever. I just think that there were sound problems, too, and that added to the impression that his overall performance wasn't that good. You could hardly hear him in Vertigo, I think his mic might have been tuned the wrong way, but I am no expert on these things.

But then again, I don't think it's such a big deal, Bono's voice has been bad on many occasions before and then good or even great again on others. What he needs to sound alright is a little rest and practise, and obviously, he hasn't had much of that recently.
And the performance was announced very shortly before it took place, so I don't think they had much time to prepare.

Honestly, I felt a bit sorry for Bono because you could see him struggling quite hard. He did not look very happy.

I agree with you :)

But lets hope that the voice problems only was caused byt the things I mentioned and not by the har singing on the 5th leg on Vertigo tour(besause that was nearly an half year ago).

I think we all worried about that he is going to lose his Vertigo tour voice, he was amazing on that tour. He is getting older. But there are artist who in the the age 0f 60-80 still can hit high notes, lets hope Bono will be one of those :) Hope he stop smoking, less partying, loosing wieght and that his back will be better, maybe then his voice will do more improvements.

Could be the tuning of the songs too. Vertigo was always played in regular tuning, but Streets is always played a half step down, but they didnt change guitars in between the songs. Maybe Bono isn't used to singing Streets in standard tuning? Or was Vertigo a half step down too?

Hornbag said:
Could be the tuning of the songs too. Vertigo was always played in regular tuning, but Streets is always played a half step down, but they didnt change guitars in between the songs. Maybe Bono isn't used to singing Streets in standard tuning? Or was Vertigo a half step down too?

I think Streets was playing in the standard tuning on the whole Vertigo tour. Just compare the singing last night to the 5th leg versions. Vertgio was played with playback music, wich is the original tuning.

Back
Top Bottom