Bono - Will We Ever See The Likes Of Him Again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
As you probably know, late night legend Johnny Carson passed away last month. Current late-night hosts David Letterman, Jay Leno, and Conan O'Brien all stated on their programs, give or take a few words, that we're never gonna see the likes of him(Carson) again. This is a sentiment that many people all over the country and world shared, including myself, as I think Carson deserves that kind of praise for his uniqueness.

This brings me to the point of this thread. When, hopefully a long, long time from now, the day comes that Bono leaves us, will we be able to legitimately say the same thing? That we'll never see the likes of him again? Is he unique enough? Has he had a big enough impact on pop culture?

For me, the answer is yes. He goes by one name. He is one of the most recognizable men, nay, people in the world. He is a legend, the frontman of one of the biggest bands of all time. His uniqueness lies in that he is the embodiement of a blending of songwriting brilliance, undeniable charisma, a virtually unmatched ability to get to the audience(both figuratively and literally) on the live stage, one of the most distinctly recognizable voices in the history of rock music, an intelligence, maturity, and sense of humor that is not all that common in the rock music industry, on-stage clothing and outfits that have become iconic(shades, leather jackets, hats, hoods, the fly outfit, the macphisto outfit, that weird skeleton thing he wore during popmart), and an ego that, while sometimes enormous in size, is also used to try to accomplish some really selfless things(third world debt, Africa, poverty, etc etc); A combination of a meglamaniacal rock star who has become an international pop culture icon, a poverty/debt activist who seems like a very real person, and if that wasn't enough, a family man with a 2+ decade marriage and four kids to his name in a business where marriages usually don't last through two records. For me, the answer is yes.

So, anyone else have any opinions or thoughts? Will we be able to legitimately say that we'll never see the likes of Bono again?

Bono's an original. I don't think anyone has ever really tried to emulate him before, and I doubt anyone will now. But I hope more people try to copy his humanitarian persona.

To be honest i don-t know if bono has had ä really big impact on pop culture in general. People will remember u2 , the band , but bono i don-t know. i mean ,is he really that popular outside of u2 ? is he considered the coolest rock star ever? a cool rock star ? Maybe it is my region , when i talk with people from other countries , i find similarities. Madonna, B spears, Michael jackson, everybody knows those names,but when it comes to u2 , they think they heard the name somewhere and that-s it. Maybe as a band they are popular right now in a lot of places, not in my country, but i don-t think people will remember him like you say in your post, I think he will be remembered as the frontman of the best irish band of all time. I agree , he is unique, obviously, but is that enough?

Last edited:
We are lucky to live in a time period in which we can say "I followed his career, and he was always spontaneous like no other."

Best frontman ever, best celebrity humanitarian ever. Smartest rock star ever.

We'll probably see cheap imitations of him, but it will never be even better than the real thing. :wink:

I'd be interested to hear the answers to this question on a more general interest music board. Here they will of course be biased. I'm sure to U2 fans there will never be another like him, but not so sure about the rest of music fans.

indra said:
I'd be interested to hear the answers to this question on a more general interest music board. Here they will of course be biased. I'm sure to U2 fans there will never be another like him, but not so sure about the rest of music fans.

Good point. That would be interesting to here (and by the way, VH1 did a countdown a long time back of the 200 greatest pop culture icons, and Bono was in there...can't remember where, exactly, but...).

I do agree, though, with those who've posted so far...Bono's definitely one-of-a-kind.

Angela

I think that, even it's sad, that people will remember him a year after he dies and then will forget him. But till then celebrate the fact that the most spontaneous person is alive. i'm happy, i could say, to be alive, even if i don't see the show, but still to hear their songs, political acts, live stunts....Not just Bono, all of them, even Bono has a leading role in all i've said

We'll never see another Johnny Carson. Well, Leno and Conan are better.

We'll never see another Julius Irving. Well, Jordan brought it up a notch.

We'll never see another Elvis. Well, here is Bono now - greater than Elvis ever was (plus Bono writes his own songs!).

So will we ever see the likes of Bono again? The answer is yes, we will see the likes of him again in an even better form.

It's what you call EVOLUTION.

Cheers,

J

First off, even *thinking* about having to say this kind of thing sends cold chills up my spine. Pray it doesn't happen for a very long time!!

But to answer your question, no, there will never be another Bono. I think plenty will try to imitate him -- plenty already do, with varied degrees of success. But no one out there will ever achieve what he has done, both in the music world and in the real world. Family man, rock star, activist, frontman, husband, father, Macphisto, fund-raiser, singer, poet, artist. There will never be another man who embodies all those things, who genuinely cares about the world he lives in, who not only brings about change, but who tries to make others see that they too can affect that change. Nor will we ever see such a charismatic frontman again, a lyricist-poet who speaks to the entire world with a single line, while at the same time speaking to each individual heart.

No, there will never be another Bono.

U2 are iconic to a certain demographic all around the world, those outside of it are ignorant to this except for the many exceptions that include myself and anyone younger or older:wink:

Plus I'm going to be a cheap Bono imitation if I ever make it anywhere, off to Africa with me

That Bono reminds me of John Lennon character... Except a little bit nicer and alot more alive.

The long hair, sun glasses, political campaigning combined with successful music...

Last edited:
Granted, I'm a bit biased :D , but no, I don't think in my lifetime (I'll be 34 in about 2 wks) there will be another entertainer like Bono. I can't think of another celebrity who has so consistently & passionately attempted to make the world a better place.
I was already a deep-entrenched fan of their music by the mid- to late 80's but what finally sent me over the top was Live Aid & Bono's behavior/involvement afterward. Lots of folks gave of their time & performed for Live Aid, but quick! - name ONE other one who has STAYED involved like Bono has.... I don't think there is anyone else.
That type of commitment was the icing on the cake for me... a steamy hot Irishman with a voice that makes me weak in the knees, a happily committed family man, AND a man of action with a social concious matched only by his ego and humility! :drool: For me, there will never be another to match that. :heart:

No, there's never going to be another Bono. He's a very unique individual. There has never been a rock star like him and there never will be. He's one hell of an amazing human being, no saint or sage, but a truly great guy.

Saracene said:
Hard to say, but personally I think that although Bono is definitely one-of-a-kind he or U2 don't quite have the same iconic power as, say, Madonna or Beatles.

Yes both are icons. You can argue as to how much of Madonna's is still there or relevant, but she was one of the first women to do what she did.

Just like the Beatles were the first and they were one band amongst a few. U2 is one amongst a thousand. Beatles were there at the dawn with very little competition. One has to wonder if they'd be able to do the same thing today. U2 have accomplished something no other band has. How many bands have you seen inducted into the hall of fame the first year they were elgible and be admist a brand new tour sold out tour(not a fading reunion of farewell tour)?

Bono's had a huge impact on that. How many men have you seen been able to go through the transformations of self, front the biggest rock band of his time, revoltionize men's eye wear, work with and win the respect of so many of his idols, champion so many causes, and actually be taken serious by politicians?

It's going to be a long time before there's another.

I actually hope he'll be remembered more for what he did to relieve the 3rd world of billions of dollars worth of debt (we aren't there yet) than for his music--and I think his music is friggin' AMAZING. The fact that he uses the gift of songwriting and singing to help promote social responsibility and justice is truly awe-inspiring. I don't think we'll see many come along who can match that...

I think that Bono will always be remembered. He has a personality that no one comes close to. He is a great writer, and poet, his songs always have a meaning to them. Through the years, he's always had a distinct appearance, (sunglasses, leather jacket, etc. ) come to think of it, he's rarely seen without shades, but I love him in them, it adds a bit of mystery! Still, he's so widely known, in the USA, and other countries as well. U2's music is unlike anything you'd ever hear, it has a sound that no one can copy, and that's why their music is so appealing, it's different! But Bono just such a great personality, he's got a hot temper sometimes, (on live shows, and what not) but then has a soft side, and a caring for the good of mind kind. He uses his popularly as a way to help others, and I find that impressive, especially, since other rock bands would care less. He can also be spontaneous, like when he surprised us by coming down the streets of New York city, on a flat bead truck playing "all because of you' or when the band played a top the roof of a L.A. building, playing "Where The Streets Have No Name", I mean he's always been a fun loving guy, he has flaws, but that's why people can relate with him. It's almost like I feel I know him, when I see him up on stage or on TV, I mean not as a fan,...but like knowing him all his life, he just has that way. I mean aside from being a famous rock star, who has been an icon for the 80's through now, he still has characteristics of a regular guy, and enjoys spending time with his family, but he's got a lot of power on his hands, and yet he uses it for others, so no, there's never gonna band anyone like I really think he'll have huge impact on everyone once he's gone. I think more so in New York City, most of which because he's always been a fav. of New York, and he himself, enjoys New York City, being the most popular city in the us, along with LA. I know I'll always remember him, and always stay loyal to him, till the very end! I think with all the things Bono has done for the people, will leave a impact on them. I mean, each year, when U2 came out with an album, they've won a Grammy, and this year was no different, and the reason is they've been around for a while, and are still going. The really have what it takes to be the best, and stay the best. Bono, and the band have a passion for music, and humanity, and nothing will ever change it, and I know a lot people respect him, as a person, and a rock star, and in the eyes of us all, he'll live on forever, long after his passing. Because it's plain and simple, Bono has talent!

I'm not sure, to be honest. Perhaps he will be remembered fifty or so years down the line for being a landmark humanitarian in the music industry as opposed to being lead singer of U2.
The thing is though, there are always going to be people who do remember him for the great person he was, even if culture forgets over time, and his memory will live on forever in that sense. I'll never forget U2 and Bono, that's for sure, and nothing will ever replace them for me.

To JVferrandiz, man you are talking Bullshit, estas hablando huevadas compadre
Who is big in this country? Mana? Cerati? Pedro Suarez Vertiz?GianMarco?

This country is not a representative if the huge impact U2 and Bono has on the world, more than Madonna and anyone!

Bono is a living legend, will be remembered as the greatest frontman in music, the voice of a generation, a genius songwriter, an extraordinary singer with a charisma and inteligence never seen before

He will go down as the most influential rock star ever, he completely destroyed the rock star image, the selfdestructive spoiled rcok star

And besides all of this, he is saving the world! Do you know how much knowledge and trascendental vision you need to achive what he has acomplished?

There will never be another Bono. Rock n' roll has its players, its virtuosos, and now it has its saint. I have never heard more touching and profound lyrics from any other person.
What I think is amazing about Bono and U2 is that they have translated some huge ideas into rock music and yet I feel like there is still something very real about Bono (his family life, his religion, his charity) that keeps one foot on the pedestal of entertainment and one in the mud of the earth where ugliness lives and things need to changed ( ie. Third World). He is big enough to conquer rock but also real enough to let us all relate to him and his message. He got me to go take a look around and judge what I could do to make myself a better person. I don't know of any other celebrity that has had that kind of power. Plus, how many celebrities have gotten the world leaders to listen to them?

Bono is indeed, unique. I think there are many high-profile folks in entertainment and politics who are more aware of him than we think and who admire his humanitarian efforts. There will never be another like him, but I'm sure some will try.
Bono has always been a demi-god to me simply for his lyrics, his voice and (gulp) yes, his beauty:shrug:
I've always admired his dedication to worthy causes, but now I think so much more of his commitment to the humanitarian causes and his music, voice, etc. take second place 'cos I'm a Christian now and am more concerned with seeing love and kindness 'round the world!:hug:

Hey, we are trying to have a normal conversation , so watch your language, you are not talking to your friends here. civilizate o NO intervengas. Que no impresionas a nadie aqui.

"Bono is a living legend, will be remembered as the greatest frontman in music, the voice of a generation, a genius songwriter, an extraordinary singer with a charisma and inteligence never seen before
He will go down as the most influential rock star ever, he completely destroyed the rock star image, the selfdestructive spoiled rcok star

Now... that's just beautiful, really, but you are just a fan , we are talking about people in general. Bono has had a big influence , no one can deny that, he's very famous and respected as a musician. And here's the part where MY OPINION comes in, he's IS unique, and i admire the guy but like someone said he doesn't have the same iconic level as other big stars. When i was talking about Peru, and OTHER latinamerican countries i was trying to explain that. Not everything has to be Europe and the USA.

And besides all of this, he is saving the world! Do you know how much knowledge and trascendental vision you need to achive what he has acomplished.

hahaha, he is trying to help, but he is far away from that goal kid. At least you seem very enthusiastic. Bien por ti, pero tu lo ves de una manera y yo de otra , y no voy cambiar de opinion, so, i guess we'll have to agree to disagree. And Learn to respect other people's opinions.

You have to learn something kid
Its not about being iconic its about the matter of getting the thing done, achieving greatness, and Bono has done that

He is the greatest frontman in music (not being just a fan here)He is saving the world, and by saving the world i mean that he HAS saved a lot of lives in Africa, and a lot of lives will be saved from his effort (This is no enthusiastic)

And what can you say about Peru and other Latin American Countries. There is so much ignorance that anyone can be an "icon" here....you are not being objective
People think Kiss, Aerosmith and El Tri of Mexico are the greatest bands.......so you have to admit you are living in the third world kid o.k?

La manera que tu lo ves, disculpame pero esta hasta el culo. Nada, pero nada, lee bien, tiene que ver la popularidad que pueda tener un artista en este pobre pais con respecto a su grandeza como artista en el mundo.

You need to grow up little boy, just grow up. Then, maybe you will be able to understand this

ooohhh, there are some cranky spitfire types in Lima, aren't there? :wink:

I'm sure Bono will join among the ranks of unforgettable singers/musicians like John Lennon, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain (though I'm not a fan) etc etc. Well, you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom