Bono Vs Freddy Mercury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is the best singer of these two?

• Bono

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • Freddy Mercury

Votes: 35 42.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Knuckle said:
I'm a much bigger fan of U2 by far (in fact, I don't even think I can call myself a Queen fan).

However, I've watched Queen's performance at Live Aid over and over again on youtube.com. It's really outstanding. They stole that show. Anyone who doesn't think that's true should go to youtube.com and search "Live Aid Radio Ga Ga" and watch Mercury's performance of Radio Ga Ga (or any other song from that show)....just awesome indeed.

What I've heard U2 stole the whole show with Bad

How much you say Freddie is a better techninqie singer, he never could come close to Bonos emotional singing. The best singer isnt about technique. It is also about emotion and soul. Something no other singer is better on than Bono

Peterrrrr said:
How much you say Freddie is a better techninqie singer, he never could come close to Bonos emotional singing. The best singer isnt about technique. It is also about emotion and soul. Something no other singer is better on than Bono
I'm sorry, WHAT? Despite what you may think, every Queen song is not the same musically/vocally as Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon.

Freddie outclasses Bono emotionally, mustache-ly, and everything-ly.

Peterrrrr said:

What I've heard U2 stole the whole show with Bad

Listen, Bono made 100,000 people at Wembley cheer.

Freddie had them doing vocal exercises and chanting in time with his every move.

There's a big difference here between the ultimate frontman and the staggering gorilla.

Although I love Bono i have to say that Freddie was the best singer ever.He could easily reach the notes sang by Pavarotti in 'Miss Sarajevo'.Last Queen tour was in 1986 when Freddie was 40 and his voice was still amazing, very strong-not a single false note throughout entire show.Bono was 40 during Elevation Tour and the sound that was coming out of his throat was just a shadow of his former voice.Mind that Freddie smoked a lot.Probably as much as Bono.Freddie's voice remained great till the end-just listen to Queen's last album 'Innuendo'.

Porter said:
Although I love Bono i have to say that Freddie was the best singer ever.He could easily reach the notes sang by Pavarotti in 'Miss Sarajevo'.Last Queen tour was in 1986 when Freddie was 40 and his voice was still amazing, very strong-not a single false note throughout entire show.Bono was 40 during Elevation Tour and the sound that was coming out of his throat was just a shadow of his former voice.Mind that Freddie smoked a lot.Probably as much as Bono.Freddie's voice remained great till the end-just listen to Queen's last album 'Innuendo'.

But Freddie use techniqe singing from the start, Bono never used real techniques in the beginning, if he had take a lot if singing lessons from the beginning and learn to handel his voice right, he hasnt made so much damage on his voice that he did and his voice had been far more stronger then it is now.

lets face it freddie mercury is a legend and Paul has turned into a douchebag lol
PAUL cant sing anymore!! he has lost his voice!! im sure freedie's corpse could hit sweet notes way better than the aging PAUL!!

shaun vox said:
lets face it freddie mercury is a legend and Paul has turned into a douchebag lol
PAUL cant sing anymore!! he has lost his voice!! im sure freedie's corpse could hit sweet notes way better than the aging PAUL!!

I think its wrong to say that Bono has lost his voice, if he lost his voice I would be able to this:

"Feel" part in Vertigo

"Sing" part in SYCMIOYO

"Free" part in Native Son

"You love me" and "Fear, nothing" part in Mercy

"Amour" part In Miss Sarajevo

"Wide Awake" part in Bad(2005-12-04) he hit the high C in Wide Awak

"Come On Now Love, Don't You Look Back" in "WGHYWH"(Dublin)

Discotheque(3rd leg) The whole song is incredible

Angel Of Harlem(3rd leg) was incredible singing in.

"Dignity passes byyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" in Crumbs(3rd leg)

Beautiful Day vocals is so much stronger

Bono is now singing WTSHNN is its orignal key.

Electric Co

I Will Follow(Brooklyn Bridge) He hasnt sing this song like this since.....

ISHFWILF(Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame) He sing it very well on this performence

Canadiens1160 said:
Before I dive deeper into the Gin Fountain, and can't use image upload...

This man....is, a god. He is God.

freddiemercury102hv6.jpg

That right there is why I've always hated Queen and why Freddy Mercury was intolerable. Just look at that loser. Embarrassing.

That right there was a man with a voice, and outstanding performer, and he was really 'out there'. And that's a thing not everybody can say. We'll always remember Queen, and Freddie Mercury for that matter.

He was an icon, a different one than most other icons, yes, but he was one.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

That right there is why I've always hated Queen and why Freddy Mercury was intolerable. Just look at that loser. Embarrassing.

... wow. That's the best you can do?

Try harder. Immature shallow comments just won't cut it.

Axver said:

... wow. That's the best you can do?

Try harder. Immature shallow comments just won't cut it.

Sorry, but I don't think it's immature or shallow. The guy may have had a good voice but he was creepy as hell. He tried way too hard to flaunt his gayness. If he just sang and acted somewhat normal then perhaps I could have enjoyed Queen's music. But he was so over-the-top with his 'act' that it became a huge distraction.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Sorry, but I don't think it's immature or shallow. The guy may have had a good voice but he was creepy as hell. He tried way too hard to flaunt his gayness. If he just sang and acted somewhat normal then perhaps I could have enjoyed Queen's music. But he was so over-the-top with his 'act' that it became a huge distraction.

Er, how can you not see how you are being terribly immature and shallow?

You're judging the man by his clothing and his sexuality. I don't expect that from anyone over the age of 13, and even at that age, it's disappointing.

Axver said:

Er, how can you not see how you are being terribly immature and shallow?

You're judging the man by his clothing and his sexuality. I don't expect that from anyone over the age of 13, and even at that age, it's disappointing.

First off, the original thread was about Bono vs. Freddy as a singer. In that sense, sure, I can acknowledge he was a good singer. But, then people started posting pics. Why? Because the FIRST thing that pops into your head when you hear the name 'Freddy Mercury' is his overall weirdness, not his voice. Freddy Mercury made a conscious effort to be over the top and flamboyant in an extrememly gay way. That was his decision, not mine. It's the image he wanted to portray. So, why I am immature and shallow when I comment on that? Sorry, but I disagree with you.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Those damn gays!

face it freddie campness is just as annoying as bono's campaigning.

If Queen were going today they be compared to the likes of the darkness as a joke and be laughed off despite great performances.

Queen is a great band, didn't get into a lot of their music but some of their stuff is incredible.

Still, I'd take Bono anyday

vaz02 said:

If Queen were going today they be compared to the likes of the darkness as a joke and be laughed off despite great performances.

:no: Noooooooo. You just can't compare Queen and the Darkness. Queen were a brilliant band -great musicians, who produced some groundbreaking masterpieces Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera, a Day at the Races to name a few, and awesome live. Darkness are just a glam rock novelty act who remind me much more of 70s group Sweet. The Darkness are already fading into obscurity -look what happened to their second album it was a flop. So what if Freddie was camp, he was a brilliant showman and performer, second to none. The very fact we're having this thread shows that their legacy and music lives on.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

He tried way too hard to flaunt his gayness. If he just sang and acted somewhat normal then perhaps I could have enjoyed Queen's music.

:rolleyes: and I wonder why I hate this forum sometimes...

I wish we were all as "normal" as you.

prideofzootv said:
You want emotion from Freddie? listen to "Too Much Love Will Kill You", thats real emotion! its great!

Yeah, but it's Gay/Bisexual emotion. If I like it, it means I'll become Gay/Bi.

MrBrau1 said:

Yeah, but it's Gay/Bisexual emotion. If I like it, it means I'll become Gay/Bi.
Watch it, dude, that's some crazy gay talk you're talking there.

Bono & Freddie two brilliant vocalists.

But my favourite vocal performance was George Michael singing Somebody to Love on The Freddie Mercury Tribute concert at Wembley in 1992.

He absolutlely blew me away. Better than any performance I have ever seen totally awesome!.

I voted for Freddie. Bono is my favorite singer, but Freddie is WAY better, hands down.

bridgit said:
It would have been nice to hear how Freddy's voice aged. Comparing them during the Live Aid era I would have to go with Freddy.

Freddie was 45 when he died. Bono is 46 now. So, theoretically, you could take one of the last Queen albums, like "Innuendo" or "Made In Heaven", and compare with HTDAAB. (and keep in mind that Freddie's health was already very compromised)

prideofzootv said:
You want emotion from Freddie? listen to "Too Much Love Will Kill You", thats real emotion! its great!

Try "Somebody To Love"... and don't forget that Freddie also did most of the choir voices :drool:

That said, I prefer Bono as a frontman. The extra strain he puts on his voice (maybe because of his vocal limitations) actually HELPS improving his performance, emotionally speaking...

Oh, and for the ones that like keeping track of high/low notes (like myself), check this site: http://www.f-mercury.com.ar/frames_eng.htm (I wish they did one of these for Bono...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom