Bono in Switzerland today 02/29/2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
last unicorn said:

:yes:

I loved the story about Bono in the samurai costume (would have loved to see that) and about her converting to catholisizm and wanting Bono to be her "godfather" .... he has a goldchild now who is so much older to him. Sweet story.

Is Bono catholic?:eyebrow:

last unicorn said:

Is there anything wrong with being catholic? :eyebrow:

Did I say there's anything wrong for being catholic? :shrug:

I just remebered reading something about him that he's going with his mother, but not his father.

His parents initially agreed that the first child would be raised Anglican and the second Catholic. However, although Bono was the second child, he also attended Church of Ireland services with his mother and brother.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bono#Childhood

I think this also mentioned on the book called "unforgettable fire"?

I think we cannot really know, can we? After being raised as a protestant, it seems that in recent years, Bono has been going more towards his father's faith.

I don't know if he is "officialy" into any confession. Around the time they met with the pope I heard or read somewhere that he's not catholic. I don't think he's into organized religion, but whatever he choses is fine for me.

last unicorn said:
I think we cannot really know, can we? After being raised as a protestant, it seems that in recent years, Bono has been going more towards his father's faith.

I don't know if he is "officialy" into any confession. Around the time they met with the pope I heard or read somewhere that he's not catholic. I don't think he's into organized religion, but whatever he choses is fine for me.

And that's why the godfather thing confused me. Never into this kind of stuff, but ask a person who is not that clearly classified with religion to be one's godfather doesn't appear very logical to me... :scratch:

I always like the way Bono trying to deal with religion, and it's fun to watch him go further on his own road, and not following any other's footsteps.

Yes, I asked myself this question as well. I'm not familiar with this things, but maybe he is just a "symbolic" godfather, not a real one, not in the sense of religion, who knows?

Yes, and he's also the godfather to one of Guggi's countless spawn (Moses, I think).

It's not specific to Catholicism. And Bono is not Catholic.

Bono is raised protestant and as far as I know has always been protestant.. not that I would think it matters a thing, but just sayin' he's not catholic...
Wasn't the Unforgettable Fire that book that the band was unhappy with because it contained so many errors?

I don't think Bono belongs to any confession, he has spoken of himself as a Christian, or at least he would like to be a Christian at heart, he has problems with organised religion. I can relate to that very much. But in the end, it just doesn't matter, because the only thing that is important is what's in his heart, not what religion he belongs to or if he calls himself a Catholic or Protestant or whatever. At least that's my opinion.

Bono has referred to himself as half Catholic more than once.
Not that it matters.

His father was Catholic and his mother was Protestant. It's in U2 by U2

His father was willing to let his mother take him to chapel and his father went to mass alone.

I think Bono appreciates and repects the attributes of both, but he doesn't attach himself to either. He is a spiritual being and thinks that once "religion enters the church building, God leaves"
I think he said that on Oprah back during the Elevation days.

He is a mystery when it comes to affiliation, and I think he likes it that way. :)

He is a beautiful human being that walks the talk, so it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Religon puts people in boxes, and it goes against the laws of the spirit because as we know most wars are ego- based in religon and dogma.

18023570.jpg

18023571.jpg

18023573.jpg

These pictures are especially sweet.:wink:

Thanks for posting them.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jeannieco said:

He is a mystery when it comes to affiliation, and I think he likes it that way. :)

Perhaps, though he did choose to send his daughters to a denominational high school (Presbyterian). That makes some sort of a statment, I think.

biff said:

Perhaps, though he did choose to send his daughters to a denominational high school (Presbyterian). That makes some sort of a statment, I think.

Perhaps he sent them there because it was the best school??? I know lots of people that send their kids to Catholic private schools and they aren't Catholic , they did it simply because it was best school.

It's doesn't matter......
Like I said, Bono's spirit and actions clearly show who he is, not some religious mantra or doctrine.
His music shows who he is... what difference does it make as to what label he attaches to himself or his family??
Love is love.

Jeannieco said:

Perhaps he sent them there because it was the best school??? I know lots of people that send their kids to Catholic private schools and they aren't Catholic , they did it simply because it was best school.

Hey, perhaps. But this is Ireland, where that decision is based on more than just which is the "best school". There are many great schools in Ireland. There's no shortage of choice.
Given the country's difficult history, any choice would be heavily laden with implications and would have been very well thought through in terms of optics, especially by as publicly criticized a figure as Bono. In the end, given the wealth of options, I cannot imagine that he would have placed his children in a school that inculcated religious views that were contrary to his own. Why ever would he?

It's doesn't matter....
what difference does it make as to what label he attaches to himself or his family??

It might matter to him and his family.

Last edited:
biff said:

He said in an interview that his family (wife & kids) are members of the church of Ireland. He never said anything about himself following a certain religion. As far as his kids are concerned, I'm sure Ali has a word or two to say as well ... in fact, I believe she's the real driving force behind the kid's education, not Bono.

3c355fa6hu8.jpg

cd9c397ddh7.jpg

The girl on the right is the one who modelled the painting that I've posted in the previous post.

4bbdb0e1td5.jpg

Belt on neck. :giggle:

The only thing that a bit disturbing is the wife's costume. I think she probably wanted to pull out a Chinese one, but the design and colour combination just went a bit off. A lady in her age would never wear anything like that, except the mama (the female owner) of the brothel. :huh: If that was her initial intention, then she should had put flowers in her hair, and also red handkerchief in her hand wherever she go. ^^

balthusxf1.jpg

I realy really like this one. Bono has a very very beautiful face, and it just perfect in every angle. :cute:

I just wonder how many sunglasses he gave out all through the years?:lol:

Last edited:
Thank you for posting these pics! I like the one, where as Bono is holding an parasal over the older lady's head. Very respectful, a true gentleman!

butter7 said:
3c355fa6hu8.jpg

cd9c397ddh7.jpg

The girl on the right is the one who modelled the painting that I've posted in the previous post.

4bbdb0e1td5.jpg

Belt on neck. :giggle:

The only thing that a bit disturbing is the wife's costume. I think she probably wanted to pull out a Chinese one, but the design and colour combination just went a bit off. A lady in her age would never wear anything like that, except the mama (the female owner) of the brothel. :huh: If that was her initial intention, then she should had put flowers in her hair, and also red handkerchief in her hand wherever she go. ^^

balthusxf1.jpg

I realy really like this one. Bono has a very very beautiful face, and it just perfect in every angle. :cute:

I just wonder how many sunglasses he gave out all through the years?:lol:

OH!! Thank you Butter!! you had the one I was looking for and a few more bonus ones that I didnt have!!!:up:

And you are RIGHT!!! Bono's face looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!:drool:

Back
Top Bottom