Bono (Hewson): Battling With Shortness Of Breath?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tilen said:
i too think bono's chords are fading away slowly....
I think it's nothing like elevation--he's in bad shape at the moment--i hate it when singer "tells" the song instead of singing it--if you listen, you can immediately notice that on many songs.

IMO, if he is having problems because of his smoking---my god, how much has he been smoking in the past?????!?
Lung diseases are pretty helpless: emphysema, carcinoma, chronic obstructive disease...All incurable, hope he's not having any of that,god!
erm :s have you heard some of the boots from elevation? if you dont think he sounds better than thats fine, but there was no way he could hit the notes he is hitting now last tour, i mean listen to the way he is singing the woohoo's in elevation, last tour he had to get the crowd to do it most of the time, but now he does it, there was also no way he could have performed sycmioyo last tour, this tour does is everytime, so yes its your opinion he sound worse, but me personally and i know a lot more think he sounds the best he has since ZOO

he sounds absolutely amazing to me, and live he and Edge, Larry, and Adam are incredible, there is nothing and no one else on earth, like U2 Live.

Cheers,
B

kellyahern said:

:bow: headache :bow:

Geez, I get out of breath during a U2 concert and I'm not evening running around the ellipse or anything.
OMG i just have to say it again, just listend to a friends copy of SAN JOSE 2 and FUCK ME bono sounds i cant even put it into words, he is hitting all the very high ball squezing notes, and with confidence, this is one supper show, the playful bono we love is back

I CANT WAIT TILL JUNE THE 14TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why do you (Jick) jump to the conclusion that he 'chain smokes'??

Jim said:

Because if he didn't then the post would lose it's dramatic effect.

I'm not even sure which boot I've been listening to in my car (I think its Anaheim 2) but to hear Bono hit every note in Beautiful Day like he never could during Elevation is a testament to the fact that his voice is ten times better than it was during the last tour.

I'm really puzzled as to what the people who are criticizing his voice are listening to? :hmm:

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:

Because if he didn't then the post would lose it's dramatic effect.

I'm not even sure which boot I've been listening to in my car (I think its Anaheim 2) but to hear Bono hit every note in Beautiful Day like he never could during Elevation is a testament to the fact that his voice is ten times better than it was during the last tour.

I'm really puzzled as to what the people who are criticizing his voice are listening to? :hmm:
same here, unless were listening to something different? i mean even the woohoo's on elevation, the very high notes in beautiful day, well hitting every high note on every song, i dont get it if he tried that on the elevation tour he couldnt hit it, even in the early stages of the tour,

Jim said:

Yeah, assumptions like that really make me wonder, as do statement like...

And im sure he is not doing his breathing exercises everyday

How on earth would any of us know something like that?

ramblin rose said:

I'm curious about that too.

I was beginning to think I was listening to some Bizzaro-world U2 and was hearing something different than everyone else :huh:

I have noticed him rushing or cutting notes short a few times, especially in Vertigo when he sings "You love is teaching me how....". However, like many have said, I think he sounds better now at these beginning shows than he did for the beginning of Elevation Tour. Practice makes perfect. As long as he's not pushing too hard and doing it right (which I think he is since it seems he's showing more concern for his vocal cords and technique), he'll continue to improve. No worries here.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I have noticed him rushing or cutting notes short a few times, especially in Vertigo when he sings "You love is teaching me how....". However, like many have said, I think he sounds better now at these beginning shows than he did for the beginning of Elevation Tour. Practice makes perfect. As long as he's not pushing too hard and doing it right (which I think he is since it seems he's showing more concern for his vocal cords and technique), he'll continue to improve. No worries here.
i think thats why he is cutting back abit, its a long long tour, but saying that he is trying more and more every show, and most of it will be just getting used to singing 23 songs a night again

after hearing LA 4-06 and San Jose 04-09, the band is in full flight now, as Bono likes to say.

Their on fire and they are really coming together, can't wait to hear them in Chicago. No complaints at all here.

Bono seems to be sustaining the high "sing" note in Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own for a mighty long time for someone with shortness of breath.

Jick you'd want to watch it at this stage. I posted in your support when someone started a thread trying to get you suspended but seeing this thread I'm not so sure.

Bono 'chain-smoking' - how do you know he chain-smokes, there was a recent interview with Ali where she said he'd cut back to 2 a day?

Constructive criticisms of the band are fine in my book but is there any chance you'd start a thread supporting U2?

Cheers,

F.G.

Actually, not cheers.

Piss off and say something constructive,

F.G.

Last edited:
Heh. Funny stuff. Listening to a bootleg and concluding he's short of breath, despite the fact that you can't see Bono:

A)Moving his mouth away from the mic at times (especially when he's hamming it up)
B)Interacting with the crowd
C)Reaching for something and pausing his singing momentarily
D)Pulling a young lady onto the stage
E)Doing his usual running/prancing around the stage antics that might prevent him from singing a line exactly like it sounds on the album.

Clearly, you've got this one locked down, jick. Nice work. :up:

jick said:
I noticed that in this tour, many of Bono's lines are rushed and done spoken-word style off-beat. This is most evident in their rendition of WOWY on the second night, but is everpresent in so many other songs. In many lines he does a quick run-through of the words and finishes it earlier than should have been or starts it later and finishes it on time. He hardly holds sustained notes anymore and many times he just recites the lyrics (instead of singing it). His phrasing is off nowadays. Does anyone else notice this? Does Bono have shortness of breath problems? Does it have to do with his chain-smoking?

Just wanted to know if people noticed this and have their explanations for it.

Cheers,

J

YAWN

I was at the second San Jose show, and let me say a few things about Bono's voice.

I thought Bono's voice sounded amazing. It sounds better than a lot of the Elevation shows, maybe even better than the Elevation show I attended in 2001 (the famous second show in San Jose where Kite was first played), but his voice sounded great there too. He was definitely hitting some notes this time around that I didn't think he'd be hitting. His falsetto was spot on, and he completely nailed the 'Siiiiiiing' part in SYCMIOYO, which I was waiting to see if he would hit. His voice was better on Beautiful Day this time around than it was last tour. That says something.

He is singing in a more restrained manner this time around, but it's obviously for a reason - he doesn't want his voice to go out. So he's not screaming as many notes anymore, and he's saving his voice from strain when possible - that's a good thing! Which would you rather have - a Bono who screams all his notes and loses his voice 1 out of every 4 shows, or a Bono who sings in a more restrained manner and can hit the notes when it counts night after night? No coin toss needed here - give me option number 2. The better care that man takes of his voice, the better concerts we get. It's a win-win.

I did notice something funny about his voice the night of April 10th though - sometimes it didn't sound like Bono. At ALL. His voiced sounded...higher. Like he had sucked on some helium before the show. It's hard to explain. It simply didn't sound the same. It didn't sound bad, by any means, but for at least a handful of songs it did not sound like Bono was talking/singing, but someone who sort of sounded like Bono but not quite.

People who were at that show - am I making any sense? Am I alone in this line of thinking? Does anyone else who was at a different show understand either?

-Miggy D

The average age for the peak of a human voice is at 30 yrs of age. He's a decade and a half past that. Also, I thought that he had stopped chain smoking before the Elevation tour?.......

Jick, this is not the first time bono is sort of offbeat singing. Actually, I first heard it during the POPMART Tour (really no joke). He often plays with the rhythmic patterns of the words since then.
Nothing to do with smoking.

And of course, Mr. Diemen you`re damn right. :up:

Ah man, another negative tainted Jick thread, when are you going to post something postive. I'd love to read a Jick thread that has something good to say about this band. All you do these days is come in here and state the negative. Now everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's cool. But surely, if you are a u2 fan you'd have something good to say from time to time. Maybe you do and I just keeping missing it. But from reading other posts it does seem to be pretty scarce. Maybe you've moved on from u2 and you're finding it hard to let go, I don't know.

But hey, if these kinda a threads get you through the day, cool, knock yourself out man. I look forward to reading a positive thread from you one day (no doubt you will provide me with a link showing all the positive things you've said over the last while).

Peace.

Miggy D said:

I did notice something funny about his voice the night of April 10th though - sometimes it didn't sound like Bono. At ALL. His voiced sounded...higher. Like he had sucked on some helium before the show. It's hard to explain. It simply didn't sound the same. It didn't sound bad, by any means, but for at least a handful of songs it did not sound like Bono was talking/singing, but someone who sort of sounded like Bono but not quite.

People who were at that show - am I making any sense? Am I alone in this line of thinking? Does anyone else who was at a different show understand either?

-Miggy D

I noticed this as well at SJ1.
I've also read some reviews of shows on this board that mentioned the 'Bono on helium' voice.
So, you are not alone in thinking this.

I didn't think it made him sound any better or worse, if that makes sense. I just noticed it too.

Maybe if he cut down on the "Africa!! Africa!! Africa!!"
thing a little bit, he would not be so out of breath.

Miggy D said:
I was at the second San Jose show, and let me say a few things about Bono's voice.
I thought Bono's voice sounded amazing. It sounds better than a lot of the Elevation shows, maybe even better than the Elevation show I attended in 2001 (the famous second show in San Jose where Kite was first played), but his voice sounded great there too. He was definitely hitting some notes this time around that I didn't think he'd be hitting. His falsetto was spot on, and he completely nailed the 'Siiiiiiing' part in SYCMIOYO, which I was waiting to see if he would hit. His voice was better on Beautiful Day this time around than it was last tour. That says something.

He is singing in a more restrained manner this time around, but it's obviously for a reason - he doesn't want his voice to go out. So he's not screaming as many notes anymore, and he's saving his voice from strain when possible - that's a good thing! Which would you rather have - a Bono who screams all his notes and loses his voice 1 out of every 4 shows, or a Bono who sings in a more restrained manner and can hit the notes when it counts night after night? No coin toss needed here - give me option number 2. The better care that man takes of his voice, the better concerts we get. It's a win-win.

-Miggy D

Miggy D - I was just going to say what you said. I was at SJ1 and SJ2 and SD1. By SJ2, Bono really hit his stride and his voice sounded great. I attribute it partly to his church experience at Glide that day - he seemed especially inspired by being with The Reverend Cecil Williams. I did notice the "change" that you are spoke of. Maybe he's learned more control, if that makes any sense.

mistafadedglory said:
Maybe if he cut down on the "Africa!! Africa!! Africa!!"
thing a little bit, he would not be so out of breath.

:lol: So true.

I can just picture Bono passing out in the middle of yelling,

"Africa! Africa! Africa! Afri...Afri...*cough*...Af....Af......Af...." *clunk*

-Miggy

Back
Top Bottom