Bono Headlining American Idol Charity Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
theFly51 said:
why do the guys look real happy in that pic? looks like Larry has something on his arm....maybe a bug???
:lol: that picture is hilarious. bono looks like a demon or something. i was surprised to see it still said bradd pitt on there too, i figured they would've fixed the error by now.

Idol managed to clear the Lennon/McCartney catalog. Maybe we'll hear All You Need Is Love again. I'm guessing he'll just talk to the contestants like last time and say AFRICA JUSTICE CHARITY MAN ON THE MOON. *hides*

That picture scares the hell out of me. Where's Adam? :huh:

Last edited:
Bonochick said:
Whatever your opinion is about American Idol, the show still gets millions of viewers. If you want to reach a lot of people, it's a good platform.

i think a better platform might be to go back into the studio and make some new music that doesn't suck, that might reach a lot of people (it worked in the 80's & 90's).

:smilie:

hillers said:
Idol managed to clear the Lennon/McCartney catalog. Maybe we'll hear All You Need Is Love again. I'm guessing he'll just talk to the contestants like last time and say AFRICA JUSTICE CHARITY MAN ON THE MOON. *hides*

That picture scares the hell out of me. Where's Adam? :huh:
Looks like they shopped him out of the right side. Perhaps he realized the picture was that creepy and requested to be removed from it.

Canadiens1160 said:
Way to fuck up the mainstream, B-man. :up:

You don't think it's fucked up that the band can defy age? I mean fucking up the mainstream means different things for different ages, anyone who denies that or can't see it, well they might as well be staring at the sun. :|

Wow, that was pathetic...

But seriously, I honestly can't see why people get their panties in a bunch over this. Why worry about "cool points"? It's a big platform for a great cause. :shrug:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
But seriously, I honestly can't see why people get their panties in a bunch over this. Why worry about "cool points"? It's a big platform for a great cause. :shrug:
i don't get it either. the only thing that bothers me about this whole thing is the photo in that article :shrug:

Mrs. Garrison said:

i think a better platform might be to go back into the studio and make some new music that doesn't suck, that might reach a lot of people (it worked in the 80's & 90's).

:smilie:

Bono's done more in the last 7 years that he did in all of the 80's and 90's as far as activism is concerned. U2 raised a lot of money in the 80's and 90's and brought a lot of attention to causes, but nothing compared to the education and actually getting politicians to listen to them like in recent years.

chrissybaby said:

I was kinda hoping we'd have a cool aloof U2 back, I'd love to see The Fly doing this kind of thing... You know, f**king up the mainstream...

I consider his activism, especially at this high profile level much more anti-mainstream than any music or attitude or spouting slogans onstage.

U2girl said:

I consider his activism, especially at this high profile level much more anti-mainstream than any music or attitude or spouting slogans onstage.

Exactly, it always cracks me up when people think U2 was "aloof" back then, :lol: that was the pinnacle of their trying. 24/7 in a character, everything was over the top...yeah it was fun, but it "aloof" it definately was not.

I remember when we had the same discussion last year when Bono on AI was announced. People were panicking. Maybe we can have our annual "Bono on AI anticipation thread" from now on where people can let out their emotions and concerns. Come one guys, don't hold back, just let it out.

Bono on American Idol?!?!?!

onozomg.gif

oh c'mon, American Idol, Pop Idol, Pop Rivals, Fame Academy, Simon Cowell Inc. etc etc... It's not about music, it's about corporations exploiting people's dreams and insecurities. It's like a modern day Victorian Freak Show, a vehicle for Cowell's continent sized ego...

I don't want Bono involved in this utter rubbish, exposure or no exposure. It's wrong and it debases music as an art form. This reality rubbish is all over the UK and it just elevates idiots into tabloid fodder and creates pathetic vacuous role models for a new "lost" generation lacking in real heroes and anything with real substance... Maybe Bono should go in the Big Brother house for 6 weeks while the rest of the band make the new album, that will get him decent exposure...

IMO there's a line, and this crosses it. It legitimises almost everything that is wrong with popular culture, not everything Bono does has to be the "right" thing... The moment the validity of the "cause" makes him beyond criticism, is a sad moment IMO.

The means are sometimes as important as the message... To me this cheapens the message, it just packages it up into a commodity, like a wristband or a badge maybe. Yes, you get the initial impact of the cause, but as soon as you turn the TV off or the wristband gets dirty the message is forgotten, much like the winners of these competitions, 15 minutes of fame, and then consigned to the dustbin of history. There is only so many times you can do this before people in general get "cause fatigue"...

Bono is an artist, and he has a responsibility to his art...

Oh I dunno, I guess this just gets under my skin, excuse me...

Last edited:
Because he was already on American Idol last year and just as many people kicked up a fuss then as they did now. It's apparent that Bono no longer gives a shit about what anyone thinks about him.

Exaggeration on the internet. :drool:
These folks going to forget about this AI thing as soon as it is over with and just go back to worshiping the guy.

chrissybaby said:
oh c'mon, American Idol, Pop Idol, Pop Rivals, Fame Academy, Simon Cowell Inc. etc etc... It's not about music, it's about corporations exploiting people's dreams and insecurities. It's like a modern day Victorian Freak Show, a vehicle for Cowell's continent sized ego...

I don't want Bono involved in this utter rubbish, exposure or no exposure. It's wrong and it debases music as an art form. This reality rubbish is all over the UK and it just elevates idiots into tabloid fodder and creates pathetic vacuous role models for a new "lost" generation lacking in real heroes and anything with real substance... Maybe Bono should go in the Big Brother house for 6 weeks while the rest of the band make the new album, that will get him decent exposure...

IMO there's a line, and this crosses it. It legitimises almost everything that is wrong with popular culture, not everything Bono does has to be the "right" thing... The moment the validity of the "cause" makes him beyond criticism, is a sad moment IMO.

The means are sometimes as important as the message... Bono is an artist, and he has a responsibility to his art...

I don't really like AI either, but it has indeed produced some very special and talented young singers, like Jennifer Hudson (who is now an oscar-winner), Fantasia Barrino, and Carrie Underwood (who has done very well for herself in the country scene, and rightfully so). Just imo...

Either way, by the looks of it, Bono is DEFINITELY fucking up the mainstream (here anyways!) Now THAT, is bravery indeed :wink:

I think that Simon Cowell and his ilk are actually fucking up the mainstream nowadays, not people like Bono. But they are doing it to exploit people and line their own pockets. For all Bono's charity work, it's his amazing songwriting that moves me to try and make a difference... The art the band makes is a million times more eloquent than a speech or a cheap TV appearance and I think that Bono needs to trust his art a bit more. Don't force the issue, it comes from quiet private introspection and a deft exploitation of the listeners emotional landscape, again IMO of course!

Last edited:
chrissybaby said:

The means are sometimes as important as the message... To me this cheapens the message, it just packages it up into a commodity, like a wristband or a badge maybe. Yes, you get the initial impact of the cause, but as soon as you turn the TV off or the wristband gets dirty the message is forgotten, much like the winners of these competitions, 15 minutes of fame, and then consigned to the dustbin of history. There is only so many times you can do this before people in general get "cause fatigue"...

Bono is an artist, and he has a responsibility to his art...

Oh I dunno, I guess this just gets under my skin, excuse me...

You're missing the whole point. This isn't about U2. This is about getting in common American home and educating to a cause.

Save your credibility or save lives? Where does that weigh in on your scale?

Rosebud said:

I don't really like AI either, but it has indeed produced some very special and talented young singers, like Jennifer Hudson (who is now an oscar-winner), Fantasia Barrino, and Carrie Underwood (who has done very well for herself in the country scene, and rightfully so). Just imo...

Either way, by the looks of it, Bono is DEFINITELY fucking up the mainstream (here anyways!) Now THAT, is bravery indeed :wink:

Don't forget Kelly Clarkson. "My December" was one of my favorite albums of last year. Her voice is amazing and she's a great lyricist as well. Clive Davis wanted her to scrap "My December" last year because he was afraid it wasn't mainstream enough, but she refused to change it. It didn't sell as well as her first 2, but it was a far superior album in every way. I guess AI doesn't kill creativity and integrity completely.

I don't like AI either, but if Bono thinks he has to do this to get more exposure for his causes, than he should. He did it last year and it wasn't a catastrophe. People tend to whine and panick at every occassion. Bono sees things differently, he isn't as judgemental as some people here. He only sees the opportunities this is giving him for his causes. The last time he appeared on AI, with the Idol gives back charity show, they raised a lot of money. I think some people have to realise Bono's mindset right now: He does whatever he thinks is right to reach his goals. Like the means or don't (and I really don't like all of them), but he is consequent on following through.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You're missing the whole point. This isn't about U2. This is about getting in common American home and educating to a cause.

Save your credibility or save lives? Where does that weigh in on your scale?

Don't think it achieves either longterm, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Bono should trust his music a bit more. Pop Idol will just repackage the message and sell it on until it loses all of it's meaning.

I hate this line that Bono seems to have drawn in the sand, whereby certain people have been made to believe that you have to put credibility to one side to espouse a grand gesture. Wasn't it Bono's artistic credibility and artistic integrity that made us all sit up and listen in the 80's and 90's? He's trading on that now, and the impact will lessen every time he does it IMO. Bob Dylan's songs and integrity changed my young mind in the 80's, he didn't go on Top of the Pops and chat to a Radio 1 DJ, he used his art. The same art, aura and integrity that made Bono want to be in a band in the first place...

I concede that maybe AI is of a better quality than Pop Idol over here, or X-Factor or whatever it's called. Because all we've got is utter tripe that is ruining the mystery and spirit of great pop music... It's just cover versions and soulless nonsense for the supermarket CD buyers and ringtone generation...

Last edited:
chrissybaby said:

Don't think it achieves either longterm, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Bono should trust his music a bit more. Pop Idol will just repackage the message and sell it on until it loses all of it's meaning.

Do you realize how many baby boomers still think AIDS is just a gay disease? How many high school kids who have no idea what is going on in Africa? How many pre-teens can't fathom how we let this get out of hand like this?

Many of these audiences U2 don't touch but AI still does. As much as we would all like to believe the music alone can heal the world, the truth is, it won't. It takes very in your face actions like this.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Do you realize how many baby boomers still think AIDS is just a gay disease? How many high school kids who have no idea what is going on in Africa? How many pre-teens can't fathom how we let this get out of hand like this?

Many of these audiences U2 don't touch but AI still does. As much as we would all like to believe the music alone can heal the world, the truth is, it won't. It takes very in your face actions like this.

Yes I do, do you realise how many people think that Bono is just a one cause pony, a completely boring egomaniac? And that how aligning such huge problems with a what is essentially cheap awful television that rips people off by charging them £1 a vote is somewhat indicative of what is wrong with the Western world. The world isn't this way by accident, Africa is in the state it is because of how it's exploited. We live in a Capitalist society that sustains itself by unfair trade and exploitation. We are rich because Africa is poor. People are dumb because they are dumbed down, that's what politicians want. They want to force-feed people vacuous pop culture to keep it that way. This just dumbs the message down further IMO.

Just the way I feel...

chrissybaby said:

Yes I do, do you realise how many people think that Bono is just a one cause pony, a completely boring egomaniac? And that how aligning such huge problems with a what is essentially cheap awful television that rips people off by charging them £1 a vote is somewhat indicative of what is wrong with the Western world.

Yes and most of them don't watch AI.

chrissybaby said:

The world isn't this way by accident, Africa is in the state it is because of how it's exploited. We live in a Capitalist society that sustains itself by unfair trade and exploitation. We are rich because Africa is poor. People are dumb because they are dumbed down, that's what politicians want. They want to force-feed people vacuous pop culture to keep it that way. This just dumbs the message down further IMO.

Just the way I feel...

A rather simplistic one sided view, but you're free to feel that way.

yeah i accept that i may have over-simplified things! I think there's another area in this forum for debates like this, maybe I should go over there!!! :wink:

Just love this band so so much, and it upsets me that some people hate Bono (and U2 by default) and hardly know a U2 tune, this is just manna from heaven for all the haters out there, but then that's their loss maybe...

Anyway, i think I need to go to bed....

Back
Top Bottom