Bill Maher-Victim Of Religious Discrimination?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Gee it took Susan Lucci 19 tries or whatever it was. Maybe she's an athiest too. I thought Hollywood was liberal :shrug:

Bill Maher: Why I'll never win an Emmy

THR: Why can't you catch a break at the Emmys?

Maher: A panel of like 10 people watches one tape. If half of those people are religious, that probably eliminates me right there. A lot of people wouldn't vote for such an outspoken atheist, someone who made "Religulous."

Or it could be that year in and year out he's paired up against Jon Stewart, who's funnier and has better writers. But yeah...blame atheism, Bill. I like him and his show, FWIW.

Two more things. 1, he is right about the Emmy process, it's a crock of shit. They screen one episode then choose the nominees, then another and choose the winner. If you are a serial show, especially a heavily serialized show, you have no chance. But basically, you can have two stand alone 'great' episodes and win for an entire season.

2, Maher's show only runs about twenty times a year or something, whereas the people he's up against run 200 times a year. So not only do they have to be more funny and better more often, they have more of an opportunity to form a bigger, more loyal audience.

But really, I just Googled it. Here is who he has been up against that could easily win over his show (either Real Time or Politically Incorrect):
2000: Chris Rock, Dennis Miller, Letterman
2001: Rock, Letterman, SNL, Daily Show
2002: same as 2001
2003: same + Conan
2004: same + Chappelle
2005: same + Ali G
2006: same + Colbert
2007, 2008, 2009: same

It's not like he's getting beat by Jay Leno or something.
The Daily show has won 8 straight times.
Better show, smarter, funnier, and harder to produce .

Maher: A panel of like 10 people watches one tape. If half of those people are religious, that probably eliminates me right there. A lot of people wouldn't vote for such an outspoken atheist, someone who made "Religulous."

I hope Maher is not crying victim over this, because I think he's too smart to do that. If he is, then I'd lose respect for him.

As for voting for an outspoken atheist, I wouldn't mind voting for one. If his show has merit, is well-produced and written, then I would vote for Maher. I may not agree with his beliefs, but I am willing to overlook them and see how he does his show.

It would not surprise me if some people were hesitant to award something that promoted straight-up atheism, I do think those who make the votes probably have their own personal biases that factor in, no matter what the issue is. Do I think that's the big reason he hasn't won one, though? No. I think Inner El Guapo's scenario is more likely. Just too many good people and shows up against his a lot of the time, awards shows tend to have their constant darlings, it happens.

I like his show, too, and I hope he does eventually win an award, because his show is indeed thought-provoking and funny, and even if you disagree with him, he's bound to have a guest on that you will agree with at some point. He should get recognition for his work, too. Just have to keep fighting the other nominees more, is all.

That said...

THR: "Religulous" did quite well at the box office;

Did it? I don't recall it ever being released where I lived (was in Colorado at the time), and I guarantee you there's a good number of other towns I lived in, if not all the towns I lived in, that didn't release it, either. I think it mainly got a lot of notice in the big cities, which is fine, but that doesn't exactly qualify it as a blockbuster success.

I still have yet to see that documentary. They show it on TV sometimes, need to find a time when I can catch it.

Angela

Religulous wasn't a particularly good documentary and I think the victimhood mentality is best left to theists.

The adult language was "fucked". I can't stand Bill Maher, what a classless jerk. He can think whatever he wants about Christianity and Tim Tebow, but maybe he should try having some class. I wouldn't boycott HBO over it but I don't have HBO anyway. Even if I did I wouldn't waste my time watching him. Anyone getting riled up over him is just what he wants.

LA Times

Bill Maher has run afoul of religious conservatives yet again, after a Christmas Eve tweet the comedian sent about overtly religious Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow. Following a 40-14 Broncos' loss to the Buffalo Bills on Saturday, Maher tweeted, "Wow, Jesus just... #TimTebow bad! And on Xmas Eve! Somewhere in hell Satan is tebowing, saying to Hitler 'Hey, Buffalo's killing them'. (Adult language has been removed from the Tweet.)

Predictably, the dig from the atheist comedian didn't go over well with Christians. Fox Business' "Follow the Money" host Eric Bolling got things rolling with his Twitter response: "Bill Maher is disgusting vile trash. I can't even repeat what he just tweeted about Tebow..on Christmas Eve. #straighttohellBill."

Others have called for a boycott of HBO, which is the home of Maher's show, "Real Time." This wouldn't be the first time Maher's words have raised the ire of those on the opposite end of the political spectrum. There are regular calls for Maher's ouster from HBO. It happened in July, following a frank discussion of "hate sex" with Republican presidential candidates Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum. And in 2008, following comments about Pope Benedict XVI.

Will taking on Tebow be a bridge too far for Maher? Doubtful — but it is interesting to consider that the "Real Time" host wasn't just taking on an exceedingly popular quarterback; he was also mocking the best-selling religious author of 2011. According to Yahoo! Sports, Tebow's 2011 memoir "Through My Eyes" has 475,000 copies in print, with many more expected to be sold after the season.

Of course, considering Maher made a documentary critical of religion titled, "Religulous," he probably wouldn't have changed a thing.

"Real Time With Bill Maher" returns to HBO on January 13.

Was it poor taste? Possibly, but if people (and Tebow) are going to give credit to a higher power when things are going well, then it's fair to assume that higher power caused such a poor showing too.

Or the devil did it :wink:

Bill did nothing except ruffle a few feathers, I personally think he's a smug and arrogant, but I support his right to talk shit to whomever he pleases. I guess it doesn't hurt that I am of the same "lack of" belief system as him, so maybe I won't get as outraged!!!! :angry::angry:

I don't understand why some atheists deliberately try to offend people and basically pick fights. They complain that believers and religion are a danger to the world, yet their arrogance isn't helping much either.

I'm not a Tebow fan, BTW. I used to like Maher, but lately I've been losing respect for him. This incident is probably the final straw. Its like he's obsessed with bashing anything related to faith.

I don't understand why some atheists deliberately try to offend people and basically pick fights. They complain that believers and religion are a danger to the world, yet their arrogance isn't helping much either.

Well, that's pretty simple. Some atheists are just the same as some religious people.

Was it poor taste? Possibly, but if people (and Tebow) are going to give credit to a higher power when things are going well, then it's fair to assume that higher power caused such a poor showing too.

This.
And even still, the tweet was hardly offensive. People need to stop being such delicate flowers.
I love how people can throw their religion in other people's faces and it's ok, but if anything is said in opposition to it, it's suddenly picking a fight.
If you ask me "#straighttohellbill" Is far more arrogant and cunty than anything in Maher's tweet.

Would there be any outrage had Bill formed his tweet as the following:

"Looks like Jesus has decided to Humble Tebow with a less than stellar performance, and pity right before J's birthday...."

Not sure that has quite the zing Bill wants for any of his statements towards religion. Though I'm sure some would be upset to suggest that Jesus would purposely hurt an athlete's performance, or hurt anyone for that matter (Jesus only intervenes for GOOD!!!). You cannot have it both ways.

Tim is a nice dude from all accounts, personally he seems to me to be a manufactured idol in the same vein as Tiger Woods and others in that they're infallable, you cannot attack them personally or professionally....I think he's got amazing football skills, if he did not he would not have had the success in HS, College, and now tasting a little bit in the pros. The guy is a pro no doubt, doesn't mean he's going to be GREAT, but regardless he has made plays in the NFL and neither I or anyone else can deny that.

But the constant praise of Jesus after every game, the constant praying on the sidelines, the constant singing of worship songs.....aside from his right to do it, comes off wrongly just as someone who would praise Allah/Satan/Zeus....or themselves all the time would get on the nerves of people. Most of us prefer others to show some humility and while some may disagree with my following feeling, praising God IMO is just a sneaky way of praising yourself, disguised as praise for something else. "I'd like to praise Jesus/God for...." is really the same as "Look at me, I did a great job for myself/team....etc"

While it seems most religious folk are OK with someone mentioning Jesus every time they start their speech, would they be as OK if someone else were to say "I'd just like to say I don't believe in God, my teammates and I played a great game today".

Again, Bill was being a bit of a dick, but thats who he is, atheist or not. Just as the FoxNews guy telling Bill to #gotohell was just as much a dick move. Figured being a fan of Christ (and Tebow ;) ) he would have turned the other cheek. haha

Why is Tebow being lauded? Obviously God is the one throwing the footballs.

And I agree, I don't see anything wrong with non-believers making jokes about hell, because hell doesn't exist for them. It's like wishing someone into the loving arms of the boogieman.
I once had a friend tell me I was going to hell for some stupid reason, and she is religious. Even though I don't believe in hell AT ALL, I was highly offended. A Christian telling someone they are going to hell means that they put them on par with the worst murderers, rapists, genocide-bent madmen on the planet. Unless they believe in circles of hell... :hmm:
Anyway, I got really angry and when she pointed out that I didn't believe in hell, I said, "It doesn't matter. YOU do. And you're telling me I'm a horrible person because of such and such..."

Maher just told a really dumb joke that wasn't remotely funny. :down:
But he has a great panel show... with a lot of dumb jokes in the beginning. :D

But the constant praise of Jesus after every game, the constant praying on the sidelines, the constant singing of worship songs.....aside from his right to do it, comes off wrongly just as someone who would praise Allah/Satan/Zeus....or themselves all the time would get on the nerves of people. Most of us prefer others to show some humility and while some may disagree with my following feeling, praising God IMO is just a sneaky way of praising yourself, disguised as praise for something else. "I'd like to praise Jesus/God for...." is really the same as "Look at me, I did a great job for myself/team....etc"

While it seems most religious folk are OK with someone mentioning Jesus every time they start their speech, would they be as OK if someone else were to say "I'd just like to say I don't believe in God, my teammates and I played a great game today".

This. And besides that, we're going to build this guy up as though he had practically no flaws of any sort, and then when he does stumble, which he will, because he's human, it's going to be this big deal because, "Oh, my, a Christian fell from grace!"

I don't pay a whit of attention to football, so I've never seen this guy play or heard him talk or anything, but I'm familiar with the hoopla around him. If he wants to believe in God, fine, go for it, matters none to me. But the overzealousness, perceived or real, of it all is often what's always going to drive non-religious people crazy.

And getting upset over Bill's comments-are these people new? He's always been blunt and offensive about religion. You're pretty much giving him fodder by making a big fuss. Besides that, he is entitled to his opinion. One certainly doesn't have to agree with him, of course, but still...

Most of us prefer others to show some humility and while some may disagree with my following feeling, praising God IMO is just a sneaky way of praising yourself, disguised as praise for something else. "I'd like to praise Jesus/God for...." is really the same as "Look at me, I did a great job for myself/team....etc"

I agree with BEAL.

I see this all the time (I work for a small, private Christian college) and even amongst my extended family, you can't really do anything amazing or earn anything spectacular and get a pat on the back for it, the first reaction is just to make some comment about Jesus or prayer. Or, if you're into some hobby or doing a job that they don't think Jesus would endorse (basically anything that isn't being a preacher, working for a church, or teaching in a Christian school) you just get absolutely no acknowledgment whatsoever for your achievements. I earned something last month that maybe 100 people a year earn in the USA but since it didn't involve church, to my family it didn't happen. Oh and if you don't win or get that raise or earn that new certificate, well then you're just not a good enough Christian/didn't pray quite hard enough. Sorry.../rant.

There are few things I can think of that are more passive aggressive than religion. Whether it's praising Jesus for helping you win a football game (because he prefers your prayers more than anyone's on the other team) or calling your group 'the chosen people', it all reeks of a shitty, holier than thou (literally) attitude. Religious people like to talk about religion as being pure and spiritual and about helping people, but they conveniently ignore the fundamental underlying arrogance

Well said. I grew up religious (though thankfully my mom is very liberal and neither of my parents are the really touchy-feely-spiritual type) but now the more reflect on it the more I am just embarrassed of how I was raised and how people around me act and treat other people. The worse is that they think they are setting some example of compassion and often have no idea how patronizing and elitist they are acting.

I see this all the time (I work for a small, private Christian college) and even amongst my extended family, you can't really do anything amazing or earn anything spectacular and get a pat on the back for it, the first reaction is just to make some comment about Jesus or prayer. Or, if you're into some hobby or doing a job that they don't think Jesus would endorse (basically anything that isn't being a preacher, working for a church, or teaching in a Christian school) you just get absolutely no acknowledgment whatsoever for your achievements. I earned something last month that maybe 100 people a year earn in the USA but since it didn't involve church, to my family it didn't happen. Oh and if you don't win or get that raise or earn that new certificate, well then you're just not a good enough Christian/didn't pray quite hard enough. Sorry.../rant.

Ergh. That does sound incredibly annoying. I get a kick out of that, too-when something good happens, attribute it to God. When something bad happens, well, clearly it's the human's fault. Or the devil's. Never God's. Doesn't make any sense.

There are few things I can think of that are more passive aggressive than religion. Whether it's praising Jesus for helping you win a football game (because he prefers your prayers more than anyone's on the other team) or calling your group 'the chosen people', it all reeks of a shitty, holier than thou (literally) attitude.

Highlighted for truth. Though this whole thing is spot on.

I'd also point out that Bill's not the first guy to call Tebow out on this stuff-Matt Tabbi from Rolling Stone sure seems to have a few things to say about him, too. This is nothing new.

How is he doing that, just by saying his usual thanks to his Lord and Savior (which athletes have been doing forever)? He has said that God has no rooting interest in football and that He has far more important things to worry about, he's not stupid enough to think otherwise. It's other people who are putting that on him. I think he probably thanks God whether he wins or loses. So the tweet really has nothing to do with anything Tim Tebow ever said, not that I know of.

The way Tebow is isn't my style at all but I can ignore it just like I can ignore someone like Maher. Tebow can do what he wants, it doesn't bother or offend me. He's a quarterback, not the President. Until he proves otherwise I give him the benefit of the doubt, and I doubt that he thinks he's perfect. All athletes are imperfect humans who should not be idolized.

All religious people are NOT like Tim Tebow . If you say that then you can say that all atheists are like Bill Maher. I don't give a damn what Maher's beliefs are or what he says about religion. As a person I just think he's an arrogant ass :shrug:. He is every bit the smug know it all that he thinks all religious people are. That's the way it goes in life, religious or not. I guess I forget that he's supposed be be a comedian? Cause I don't think he's all that funny.

I don't follow Timmy enough to know if he does give praise even after losses (I assume he does). I guess I didn't intend to stress my point being the lord giveth and the lord taketh away....the issue there is Tebow brings up Jesus all the time, so regardless of his intentions of his words, giving thanks that much can give the perception that he's blessed for all the good that comes his way. I don't think he's openly said God has helped him win the game, other than to give him strength....and I'm sure his intention is that God gives him strength when he completely falls apart against the Buffalo Bills :)

I think the bigger issue is the outrage for Bill being a dick towards Tebow and his faith, would that same outrage be there if an athlete (or anyone) were to come out and openly state they do not believe in God before giving a statement or summary on a current event?

Would religious folk be able to just let that go as us non believers are told to do the same? Does the same outrage exist if someone of power/fame on the religious side were to tweet or print "Guess God gave Hitchens what he justly deserved!!!"?

Bill is a dick, no argument. I agree with his statements on religion, and I even said he probably went about this the wrong way, but he's a tv show host and all he did was create publicity for his show, it was a smart move marketing wise for him, even if it meant harming another person's feelings.

Everyone would be best if they'd just keep to themselves more often.

Then there would be no freeing of the minds.

'Everyone would be best if they'd contain their outrage to statements that apply to them only' is a much better exercise.

I wouldn't care if an athlete or any other famous person admitted to atheism. People are going to believe what they want to believe.

For the record, I wasn't one of those people cheering for Hitchens' death. I never read any of his works, even his works not related to religion. So I had no reaction to his death.

As for Tebow, I think he should pray for other things besides playing football. There's high unemployment, a famine in Africa, human trafficking, etc. That is something worth praying about. Not a shallow thing as a football game (Pardon me if I offend any sports fans out there!).

I'm not at all "outraged" about his tweet or anything else he says, and no I wouldn't care if any athlete said they didn't believe in God before or after a game or anywhere else. That's 100% their right to think and to say. I think perhaps some people think all "religious people" would be somehow freaked out by that, and it's just not true. Like I've said here before, I don't know exactly how "being religious" is defined-I define it for myself, not for anyone else, and I don't hold others to some sort of definition.

Yes he creates publicity for himself and this is what he loves, I said that already :)

But would FoxNews care if an athlete or celebrity stated they don't believe in God..... ;)

But would FoxNews care if an athlete or celebrity stated they don't believe in God..... ;)

Well FOX does not represent Christianity or way more often than not even rational thought :D

Actually someone from FOX said basically who cares about what Maher said, he's a comedian etc. I'd have to go back and look it up.

As for Tebow, I think he should pray for other things besides playing football. There's high unemployment, a famine in Africa, human trafficking, etc. That is something worth praying about. Not a shallow thing as a football game (Pardon me if I offend any sports fans out there!).

I assume that he does. He's done missionary work, spoken in prisons, hospitals, orphanages. Even when he was in college. So I don't think he confines his prayer to football games :)

Back
Top Bottom