Bill Flanagan's Bible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by *Stormy*:

I also like the part where Bono and Gavin invented MacPhisto.

omc, I totally forgot about this part....maybe after I finish reading Frankenstein I'll read it again (then take it out to ttb!).

------------------
"Why do you have to be such a smart ass?" -my mom

My favorite part is when Bill says they spent so much time in New England they might have lived in Seekonk MA. Because *I* live so close to Seekonk it used to be my area and zip code!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

i also love Adam's comment about "we're going to a burnout"
lmao

------------------
She never really belonged to me

U2 Take Me Higher
Macphisto's Mansion

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
i also love Adam's comment about "we're going to a burnout"
lmao

yeah, and then Bill corrects him and tells him it's a cookout. And one of the boys asks "Will there be burnouts at the cookout?"
biggrin.gif
lmao.

Yup: Here's the quote...
biggrin.gif

Adam holds court with his harem in the Ping-Pong room. he is improbably dressed in sandals and a sharp black dinner jacket over a long red dress, a sort of kimono. The babes, the feast, and the toga conspire to give Adam the bearing of a Caesar (one of the late, inbred lunatic Caesars, perhaps, but a Caesar nonetheless).

"I don't wear it lightly," Adam says when he sees me gawking, and at first I think he means some imagined laurel wreath. He tugs at the fabric of his muumuu. "I feel that in a hot climate like this the only sort of clothing that makes any sense is a light piece of material wrapped around you." Then, taking the broader philosophical view we expect of the enrobed, he announces, "Men should not to forced to wear pants when it's not cold."

Sheila Roche, trained by years with U2 to betray no emotion beyond slight bemusement or feigned interest, joins us and lends an ear to Adam's oration. She asks if he has ever worn his frock onstage. Just once, Adam says. "It was great because I wore no underwear! (OH DEAR LORD, HELP US ALL...) I kept teasing the front row. It added a whole new dimension to the show."

"You're rock's own Sharon Stone!" I say.

"I'll tell you," Adam declares. "You learn a lot about women from dressing up in women's clothes! You learn that when a woman asks you, 'Do I look all right?' what she's really saying is, 'I have just spent a lot of time making myself uncomfortable. If I go out in this condition will I look foolish, or is it worth it?"

"Sheila," I say, "you're a woman. Is that true?"

"There is a lot of truth in it," Sheila says. "High heels are murder."

"Sure," Adam says. "When you ask a woman to go out to dinner, it's not like asking one of your mates. She has to stop and think, 'Hmm, dinner. That will be four hours of being uncomfortable.' And if she says yes and then after four hours you say, 'Let's go dancing, let's go to a club,' and she says, 'No, I want to go home,' it's because she has figured on four hours and now those four hours are up and she can only think of getting home and out of those clothes!"

"Ah," I say, "so that's why women take their clothes off after you buy them a fancy dinner!" (OH DEAR LORD...)

Adam smiles the wise smile of Archimedes overflowing the bathtub and says, "Let me go get some more wine and I'll give you some more insights into the female psychology."

He sashays off in his sarong and I say to Sheila, "I've got a new name for Adam Clayton."

"What?"

"Madame Clayton."

Bill Flanagan rocks.
biggrin.gif

Moonie
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by moon_is_playing_tricks:
Yup: Here's the quote...
biggrin.gif

Adam holds court with his harem in the Ping-Pong room. he is improbably dressed in sandals and a sharp black dinner jacket over a long red dress, a sort of kimono. The babes, the feast, and the toga conspire to give Adam the bearing of a Caesar (one of the late, inbred lunatic Caesars, perhaps, but a Caesar nonetheless).

"I don't wear it lightly," Adam says when he sees me gawking, and at first I think he means some imagined laurel wreath. He tugs at the fabric of his muumuu. "I feel that in a hot climate like this the only sort of clothing that makes any sense is a light piece of material wrapped around you." Then, taking the broader philosophical view we expect of the enrobed, he announces, "Men should not to forced to wear pants when it's not cold."

Sheila Roche, trained by years with U2 to betray no emotion beyond slight bemusement or feigned interest, joins us and lends an ear to Adam's oration. She asks if he has ever worn his frock onstage. Just once, Adam says. "It was great because I wore no underwear! (OH DEAR LORD, HELP US ALL...) I kept teasing the front row. It added a whole new dimension to the show."

"You're rock's own Sharon Stone!" I say.

"I'll tell you," Adam declares. "You learn a lot about women from dressing up in women's clothes! You learn that when a woman asks you, 'Do I look all right?' what she's really saying is, 'I have just spent a lot of time making myself uncomfortable. If I go out in this condition will I look foolish, or is it worth it?"

"Sheila," I say, "you're a woman. Is that true?"

"There is a lot of truth in it," Sheila says. "High heels are murder."

"Sure," Adam says. "When you ask a woman to go out to dinner, it's not like asking one of your mates. She has to stop and think, 'Hmm, dinner. That will be four hours of being uncomfortable.' And if she says yes and then after four hours you say, 'Let's go dancing, let's go to a club,' and she says, 'No, I want to go home,' it's because she has figured on four hours and now those four hours are up and she can only think of getting home and out of those clothes!"

"Ah," I say, "so that's why women take their clothes off after you buy them a fancy dinner!" (OH DEAR LORD...)

Adam smiles the wise smile of Archimedes overflowing the bathtub and says, "Let me go get some more wine and I'll give you some more insights into the female psychology."

He sashays off in his sarong and I say to Sheila, "I've got a new name for Adam Clayton."

"What?"

"Madame Clayton."

Bill Flanagan rocks.
biggrin.gif

Moonie
biggrin.gif

YES!!!!!!! That's the BEST PART!!! THIS is what made me fall in love with Adam Clayton!!! (well, the hotness had a LITTLE to do with it
wink.gif
) And reading it makes me go head over heels all over again...

*sigh*

...could you excuse me? I think I need a moment alone with Adam...
wink.gif

Dood... I just remembered something:

Right after I bought the paperback to re-read (my hardback is in storage), I was flipping through the pages towards the back of the book.

The part that I glimpsed through made me laugh so hard I almost peed my pants.

It's not a direct quote because I haven't been able to locate it yet, but when I do, I'll post it here... it went something like this:

Adam had the talent of farting on cue. He would fart in class and the teacher would rail into him... but he would be so completely innocent. I think it was Edge that said Bono's grades went down the year he sat next to Adam.
biggrin.gif

LOL

Moonie
biggrin.gif
... off to find that quote.

Originally posted by moon_is_playing_tricks:
Dood... I just remembered something:

Right after I bought the paperback to re-read (my hardback is in storage), I was flipping through the pages towards the back of the book.

The part that I glimpsed through made me laugh so hard I almost peed my pants.

It's not a direct quote because I haven't been able to locate it yet, but when I do, I'll post it here... it went something like this:

Adam had the talent of farting on cue. He would fart in class and the teacher would rail into him... but he would be so completely innocent. I think it was Edge that said Bono's grades went down the year he sat next to Adam.
biggrin.gif

LOL

Moonie
biggrin.gif
... off to find that quote.

hehe...
As the wine bottles are emptied everyone agrees that as a child Adam's great claim to fame was his virtuoso ability to fart at the perfect moment. As the English teacher was making his most poignant poetic point Adam would poot. Bono says that the year he sat next to Adam his English grade plummeted. Edge says that Adam's legendary status among his fellow schoolchildren was assured the time he let a big ripper in class and told the angry teacher, "I'm sorry, ma'am, it just slipped out of my bottom."

oi...my Literature teacher read that quote once in class...and em...I had to read a different quote from that book in History class as well cos I was laughing so hard...
redface.gif
*won't forget that quote* oi...

I love this book. I borrowed it from the library last year and couldn't put it down. I don't remember the details but it was funny when they were in a limo and Edge would put a channel and it would switch to another and he finally gave up when all along it was Larry who was flipping the channels with the remote.

Another funny part was when U2 was in Mexico and the limo drivers would sometimes drive off eventhough some members of the staff were not fully inside. I think there was a time that one from the staff actually ran after the limo LOL.
This I found funny because my father has done this on numerous occasions. Once I only put my leg in the car and already he was driving off, I had to scream for him to stop. Quite interesting condsidering the fact that he's Mexican so there is a connection.
smile.gif

------------------
~*~Keep your head up cause a new day's gonna come...Midnight--Oh...she can't sleep she's afraid to dream...My Spanish Rose~*~
uteotw.gif

[This message has been edited by Lise (edited 04-16-2002).]

My fave:

In the car, Bono struggles to get the TV to switch channels, but it stays stuck on one of those half-hour self-help commercials. Finally, in exasperation, Bono says, "Edge, you're the scientist, can you get this thing to work?" Edge leans over and tries to change the station. Each time he does, it clicks back to the self-help ad. This is very strange. Edge gets down and fiddles with switches with the furrowed-browed dedication of Louis Pasteur at his Bunsen burner, oblivious as Bono to the fact that Larry is sitting with a remote control by his leg, clicking the channel back each time Edge tries to change it.

This was my first insight into the fact that Larry does have a sense of humor. Very cute.

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

I LOVE that book. If I hated U2 (!) that book would convert me.

My favourite part is when Naomi Campbell walks into the glass door.
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

I was reading this last night and this part gave me some major Edgefuzzies
biggrin.gif

Flood records the whole thing and then Edge listens to it play back. He thinks there's a song there but would really like to hear it with a different structure - use this part as an intro, repeat the verse twice the second time through, repeat the intro going into the final chorus. He thinks about it for a while and then asks Flood if it would be possible to sample each section of the song onto a keyboard, so that hitting one key would play just the chorus, another key just the intro, another key the verse. Flood says sure. He digs out a sampler and sets about doing it.
Forty-five minutes later Edge is in Edge heaven, sitting on the studio couch with a keyboard in front of him, masking tape on the keys labeling the different parts of his song. He can play a dozen variations of the track with one finger. Flood rolls tape to capture the different versions as Edge tries a chorus at the top, using the intro as a coda, and every other structural rearrangement he can think of. He's not thinking about deadlines or record releases or tour rehersals or family problems now. Edge is lost in his music, and he will happily stay here all night.

------------------
~ALOTWU!~
"It never ceases to amaze me. Here, we have a man who claims professes to enjoy flower arranging, has no qualms over donning a skirt at any given time and, now we learn, prefers to use the ladies' restroom. And yet somehow he manages to embody all that is masculine and sexy. I don't know how he does it. " ~Gina, on Adam
Gina: WOOHOO!

Originally posted by Angell:
My fave:

...oblivious as Bono to the fact that Larry is sitting with a remote control by his leg, clicking the channel back each time Edge tries to change it.

LMAOO!! I love that part!! I can't beleive I just loaned out this book! but here's one part i had on my site:

His [Edge's] gaze drifts off into the air, mentally subdividing God-knows-what complex equation. It turns out
he's wondering if right now Larry is finding the fan letter Edge left lying conspicuously in the dressing
room. The letter tells Edge that he is "the best-looking member of U2. Bono has a big nose and Larry looks
like an inflatable doll." Edge got the note in Australia and he plans to keep leaving it out until Larry notices it.
"Bass players attract the weirdest fans," Edge says. "I tend to get the bespectacled MIT students. Bono gets
the poets. And Larry, unfortunately, gets the girls." Edge sighs and repeats the old saw: "We should have
gotten a Ringo." The Beautiful Boy himself enters the cafeteria, showing no signs of having yet seen himself
described as inflatable. Edge gets up to collect his mash note for next time............. U2 At the End of the World

------------------
I'm honey child to a swarm of bees
Gonna blow right through you like a breeze

U2 Take Me Higher
Macphisto's Mansion

Originally posted by Kristie:

Forty-five minutes later Edge is in Edge heaven, sitting on the studio couch with a keyboard in front of him, masking tape on the keys labeling the different parts of his song. He can play a dozen variations of the track with one finger. Flood rolls tape to capture the different versions as Edge tries a chorus at the top, using the intro as a coda, and every other structural rearrangement he can think of. He's not thinking about deadlines or record releases or tour rehersals or family problems now. Edge is lost in his music, and he will happily stay here all night.

AWWWWWWWW!!! That's so SWEET!!!! *I* wanna go to Edge-heaven!!!
wink.gif

omg, this book made me into an Edge girl. *Edge fuzzies*

Mash note indeed. I'd send him LOTS of them.

Reading all these threads has made me start to read the book again. It's funny how you miss or pick up on things in the book that you thought you remembered reading it the first or second time.
smile.gif

How about the part where Bono is throwing a little temper tantrum backstage between songs while he's sitting in the chair getting a hair touch-up...and the hairdresser, without saying a word, scolds him by bopping him on the head with the brush. Bono now behaves.

so i figured if someone could bump the "butts" thread up from page 200 or wherever it was, i could do the same for this

cos no one mentioned the part where the annoying lady is sitting on edge and goes "who are you really, dave evans" (you know, after asking him his real name and all that) and he yells "A BIG MEGA RICH FAMOUS ROCK STAR!" or something along those lines...i don't own a copy of the book, i remember seeing it in a bookshop around when it came out, but i was about 10 or 11 or something and really didn't care, but i remembered the cover...

they've got it at the library and i've borrowed it a bunch of times, a friend of mine came over not too long ago and i told her to read the making of the numb video part and she read half the book

so many great parts in that book...probably one of the first u2 related things i read, too...

I'm in the mood to re-read this book too, but I leant it to a Wireling friend who lives 200 miles away and I haven't seen her for 6 months. :scream:

*sulk*

and to add insult to injury I leant my pomart mexico video to my sister and she broke it.

and I have no money so I can't replace them

:scream: :scream:

hippy said:
Nother project for Winter Break: REREAD THIS BOOK!

Such fuzzies :D

hmmmm, yeah, definately.

we?ve all mentioned the funny stuff in this book, but there?s another great aspect to this book. Those insight stories we get to read. The band members really trusted him. Like for example when he interviewed Adam after he missed the show in Sydney, you can feel Adam?s pain, you can see his struggle. This is one amazing moment I?m glad we got to know.

had to add my favorite part of the book, even though i love it all, and will be rereading it after i write a paper. the part when bono talks about being threatened i think on the joshua tree tour, and how during pride he closed his eyes thinking this could be it and when he opened his eyes he saw adam standing between him and the audiance. wow that is just so amazing shows how much love they have for each other. oh and the part where they are in mexico and paul says to bill that even when everyone goes out the 4 of them like to be together at their own table. love the love in that band !:heart:

My favorite part is when they steal the waitress and the table cloths and go "nightswimming," but I love the part where Bono tries to defend Neil Diamond as one of the greatest lyricists. It makes me laugh because my mom goes almost as weak for Neil Diamond as I do for Bono. In fact, I think we had a similar conversation one time when I was mocking the great Love On the Rocks...

"I am. God is described as the great I am. So in that song Diamond is calling out to Jehovah. 'I am, I said means, 'God, I said.' To who? To no one there! And no one heard at all, not even the chair! Do you see? It is a song of despair and lost faith by a man calling out to a God who isn't interested!"

Boy, Bono will go a long way to weasel out of admitting that Neil is not one of rock's greatest lyricists.

[confession] I don't have this book and have never read it.[/confession]
is it easy to find!?!?
I want to read it soooooooooo bad:angry:

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
is it easy to find!?!?

I got it from Amazon about 5 or 6 months ago... I've heard it's out of print now, but I'm sure you could easily get it from Ebay.

It's a very good read. I got my sister to read it and she really enjoyed it, even though she's not a hardcore U2 fan.

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
is it easy to find!?!?

Half.com should have copies for sale, and you probably could wind up paying less for it than if you had to bid for it on Ebay.

Your library should also have it--if they don't, perhaps the library could borrow a copy for you from another library that does have it.

Borders stores now have a service that will track down used and out-of-print books for you.

Hope this helps!

About Flanagan---I think I'd had the book for six months when it started to fall apart due to the fact that I couldn't put it down. I had to use my costuming cement to paste it back together!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: There are so many cool stories in there I couldn't pick just one. It's an amazing book.

Back
Top Bottom