As per Lanois, U2 recording next week, going electro!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it sort of reminds me of the band Tinariwen
whose hybrid of traditional African music and western rock feels like an accumulation of what has been happening in this genre

it definitely has a definite trance feel to it
not to be mistaken with 'Trance' as a genre within electronic music

it would be a very interesting step
especially when you add a touch of U2 to it

Salome said:
it sort of reminds me of the band Tinariwen
whose hybrid of traditional African music and western rock feels like an accumulation of what has been happening in this genre

it definitely has a definite trance feel to it
not to be mistaken with 'Trance' as a genre within electronic music

it would be a very interesting step
especially when you add a touch of U2 to it

I read over at a Coldplay fansite that Brian Eno made them listen to Tinariwen actually. It was from an interview with Q Magazine.

http://wiki.coldplaying.com/index.php/Q_Magazine_(February_2008)_Coldplay_Article:_Transcript

When I heard of "trance" influences that's exactly what I thought of as well, not the genre itself.

anything U2 will please me...although this comment coming from Lanois is inspiring!

A really vague descriptio, but it probably has some element of truth....Bono's descriptions of stuff in the past have been so ridiculous compared with the actual material that you wonder whether he listens to any music at all besides his own.

I had a dream last night that I heard a new U2 song on the radio and it sounded like a strangely wonderful hybrid of City of Blinding Lights and Beautiful Day, but with keyboards like from the perfecto mix of Lemon.

I am delighted at the "between-the-lines" news in this: full collaboration with Eno/Lanois, eager to break new ground, and perhaps most importantly, "they want to make a masterpiece". I feel like sometimes they go in just to change the shape, not make the next masterpiece, never stated, at least. That says something. I think we'll definitely get a different flavor on the new record.

more from Lanois:
Daniel Lanois, who is co-producing the record with Brian Eno, was somewhat more willing to describe what's happening in the studio. "I'm very selfish about the approach," he said. "I wanted to make sure we heard Larry on the record. The presence of hand played drums is very important in these times of canned beats and easy access to them. What's become a rare commodity is the presence of humanity and the feeling of people in a room playing off each other. We want to make sure we get that. Of course, the technology is there and is part of the technology. But when you've got four people in a room who can give it hell, we want to get it on the hard drive!

sounds familiar... it's from 2000

Dorian Gray said:
more from Lanois:
Daniel Lanois, who is co-producing the record with Brian Eno, was somewhat more willing to describe what's happening in the studio. "I'm very selfish about the approach," he said. "I wanted to make sure we heard Larry on the record. The presence of hand played drums is very important in these times of canned beats and easy access to them. What's become a rare commodity is the presence of humanity and the feeling of people in a room playing off each other. We want to make sure we get that. Of course, the technology is there and is part of the technology. But when you've got four people in a room who can give it hell, we want to get it on the hard drive!

sounds familiar... it's from 2000

D'oh!

Guess that whole plan never worked out - so many tracks from the last two records that bury Larry, reduce him to loops, or neuter him with slick electronic junk.

As much as I am interested in this "electro" thing, I just hope it doesn't mean sterile pro-tools crap.

well lets keep in mind the live componenet- i'm sure as they're recording they are imagining the material in a live setting, so i'm not too worried...

Ax baby....

I made it a point twice in the last few days to point out that I respect you and what you bring to the boards, even if I seldom agree with it. There have been several times where we've been on opposite ends of an issue but I've never written a post to "slam" you as much as represent my own view. So here in front of everyone, I publicly thank you for your contributions and especially the amazing setlist stuff you do.

At the end of the day we're all here because we are passionate about the same band and in a bizzare sort of way, it's almost like a family. Families argue, families disagree but they're still family. Shit, my whole family is REPUBLICAN but I still love them.

So I'm sure we're gonna mix it up from time to time and not see eye to eye. And that's totally okay. I put up that avatar just as a joke, to tweak you a little bit and I assumed you might appreciate the shout-out and the humor because a lot of your posts have humor in them.

I hope this clears things up a little. And if I ever make it down to NZ, I'll buy you a beer. And Neil Finn. And Peter Jackson too.

skott100 said:
I hope this clears things up a little. And if I ever make it down to NZ, I'll buy you a beer. And Neil Finn. And Peter Jackson too.

Actually, Ax is in a real town - Melbourne. So you can buy him Tim Cahill too!

Kudos to you for trying to settle the peace though.

Guys, I don't even know who Tim Cahill is! :lol:

skott100 said:
I made it a point twice in the last few days to point out that I respect you and what you bring to the boards, even if I seldom agree with it. There have been several times where we've been on opposite ends of an issue but I've never written a post to "slam" you as much as represent my own view. So here in front of everyone, I publicly thank you for your contributions and especially the amazing setlist stuff you do.

At the end of the day we're all here because we are passionate about the same band and in a bizzare sort of way, it's almost like a family. Families argue, families disagree but they're still family. Shit, my whole family is REPUBLICAN but I still love them.

So I'm sure we're gonna mix it up from time to time and not see eye to eye. And that's totally okay. I put up that avatar just as a joke, to tweak you a little bit and I assumed you might appreciate the shout-out and the humor because a lot of your posts have humor in them.

:) I really appreciate you extending an olive branch. I was worried this thread would descend into flames and I was getting reluctant to come in here, especially as this is all off-topic. I admit, if one of my friends here had done this, I probably would have found it funny. In the context of our recent disagreements and the closure of the "One fucking sucks" thread, I completely misinterpreted it, and for that I apologise. I think that misinterpretation makes the avatar even more apt, eh?

Certainly I appreciate a number of my views here are held by a small minority. Hell, I don't even get a break with what I like - try finding somebody else with Treasure and Wild Irish Rose in their top ten U2 tracks. But hell, this place would be boring if you lot agreed with me, as much as I'd like you to. And I need debating opponents. :lol:

PS I would disown your family. :wink:

PPS Your life will not be complete unless you make it to New Zealand. Especially the South Island. I may live in Australia these days, but I will always love New Zealand first and foremost. I'm a North Islander, and even I will admit the South Island is more beautiful. Possibly the most beautiful part of the planet. (Plus I could really go for taking you up on the Neil Finn and Peter Jackson thing. Then I could hold spiffy concerts in my non-existent backyard and have them recorded on film in ways Hamish Hamilton can't even imagine.)

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if they're only now going in to record the album, i have a little less confidence that it'll be out in the fall.

I'm pretty sure recording sessions for ATYCLB didn't begin until March.

There were sessions in France and Morocco. I guess they'll wrap it up in Dublin.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if they're only now going in to record the album, i have a little less confidence that it'll be out in the fall.

They've been working on material for ages...probably just wrapping things up. It'll be out in the fall. If it isn't, everything Axver knows is wrong.

so does anyone think U2 has some indivudal tracks recorded and ready for album release?

that's all fine and dandy but u2 tends to, oh i don't know, decide midstream to go in another direction and take another year to get it done.

alas, this is just one quote from one article that could be taken out of context by any number of people, from the reporter on down to us. i'm still hoping for a fall release.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom