Announcement from stage Dec 4th 7am est

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what format does the U2 station take and are there exclusives, no ads etc? Just genuinely wondering what make the previous one terrific.
Yes. No commercials. It's the format they released the Apollo show on. Played a lot of rare songs and b sides. This was also a short term radio.

Springsteen and Pearl Jam have Sirius XM stations and regularly release exclusives on it. Daily live concerts, new releases, interviews, guest DJs playing their favorite songs, etc

U2 are on air with Howard from their concert in Tokyo announcing U2X RADIO coming to SiriusXM! Hear the band's greatest hits, concerts, and rare interviews on the exclusive new channel in 2020.

I wonder if you can still do a free trial with VPN. :hmm:

If you are a Google Home, errmm, Google Nest user, you can sign up for a free 3-month trial of Sirius XM.

:shifty: I did it last year for the Apollo show and briefly when Craig Ferguson had a show about 2 years back. Was only able to stream from PC but it worked.

Why call out the timing for the UK and Irish audiences, email international fans? You have to admit that is bizarre.
Sure?

Look even my mind started wandering. Bit on hindsight a big giant X logo should have been a giveaway... as did the relatively low key announcement.

If this was really big news it would have been far behind a Facebook post and a late night email. We all should have realized that. If anything I feel silly for thinking such a small scale announcement could have been anything Earth shattering.

https://www.u2.com/news/title/announcingu2x-radio/news/

U2X RADIO will launch in 2020 - with a dedicated radio channel for SiriusXM subscribers as well as content for Pandora listeners - and will celebrate music from the length and breadth of U2's career. The channel will see the band themselves taking to the airwaves and will also feature never-before heard interviews and live concert recordings, favorites and surprises from the archive, playlists curated by the band, as well as content celebrating their Dublin roots and much more.

Here's how band members greeted the news.

Bono: "Generally when I open my mouth people prefer if I'm singing, but on U2X RADIO, maybe they'll forgive me the odd interruption..."

Adam: "I'm not entirely sure what this is but what it isn't is an opportunity to hear some bass solos... U2 24/7. Welcome to the last 43 years of my life."

Larry: "It all sounds exhausting to me but if people really want to listen to us for 24 hours a day, this is the way to do it."

Edge: "So I get to sit around having a laugh with my musician friends and playing our favourite music. As I always say, I have the best job in the world!"

So they've announce internet radio :applaud:

Like I said, 1993 called, they want their exclusive announcement back.

Which is all fine, but I still think they've totally misjudged how to announce something like this. The X could have been a giveaway, but it got me thinking of The Blackout visuals because of the style.

"Hey Siri, play U2". Sorted.

Does anyone actually believe the band who hijacked an Apple keynote to release an album would announce a new album or retirement or other huge news with an 2 am email and a 10 pm Facebook post... which wasn't on any other social media?

So who's really to blame for over hyping this... the band? Or we dopey U2 but jobs?

I’m actually in the audience for this product, since I sometimes rent cars for work travel and they have SiriusXM (though I wouldn’t pay for it myself).

As such, makes total sense that the email about the announcement came in the middle of the night in my time zone, and the announcement was at 6am in my time zone.

Does anyone actually believe the band who hijacked an Apple keynote to release an album would announce a new album or retirement or other huge news with an 2 am email and a 10 pm Facebook post... which wasn't on any other social media?

So who's really to blame for over hyping this... the band? Or we dopey U2 but jobs?

It’s 1pm in the afternoon here mate , perfect time for any big announcement :)

It’s not all about American you know , erm hang on it is isn’t it I can’t even get this radio station in the uk :)

There was no need to send 3 emails about it if it was only for Sirius XM or Pandora listeners.
I mean, I don’t remember there being anything “big” when they formally announced Songs of Experience.

Someone’s got their priorities mixed up.

So they finally figured out a way get played on the radio again.

So they've announce internet radio :applaud:

Like I said, 1993 called, they want their exclusive announcement back.

Which is all fine, but I still think they've totally misjudged how to announce something like this. The X could have been a giveaway, but it got me thinking of The Blackout visuals because of the style.

"Hey Siri, play U2". Sorted.

This perfectly sums up this “announcement”.

This is the type of thing that could have been “announced” on a Facebook post. I mean, I personally can set my iPhone to shuffle, play Pandora or even YouTube and would have the same exact effect as this new “station”.

But at least they are getting their product out there and maybe some people who haven’t heard of them will get to hear their music.

Wednesday at 9 pm Tokyo... Some news from the band

No Twitter post. No Instagram post. I don't even think they put it on the main page of their website but could be wrong.

"Some news."

Not BIG news. Not big announcement. Just "some news."

It's not as if they haven't gone live from the stage in one country for something going on in another before. They also gave a fairly high quality live stream of a song from the concert - which hey maybe fans might be interested in.

But nooooo... They're dicks because everyone here (myself included) overreacted to what in hindsight was a fairly tame, low key announcement about "some news" and thought it meant the band was going to commit Harakiri on stage during Ultraviolet.

I don't think anybody is calling them dicks, they just seem to have misjudged how to handle this sort of announcement.

I don't think its an unreasonable leap for fans to assume there would be something bigger than this news when a band of their stature & profile announces a live webcast about "some news." They just don't seem to "get" how social media works these days. We're all just excited to hear anything which might be linked to new music, but it seemed strange to tease it in this way to users outside of the US.

I just found it all a bit strange really, but not going to hate on them as its kind of what I've come to expect if that makes sense?

I don't think anybody is calling them dicks, they just seem to have misjudged how to handle this sort of announcement.

I don't think its an unreasonable leap for fans to assume there would be something bigger than this news when a band of their stature & profile announces a live webcast about "some news." They just don't seem to "get" how social media works these days. We're all just excited to hear anything which might be linked to new music, but it seemed strange to tease it in this way to users outside of the US.

I just found it all a bit strange really, but not going to hate on them as its kind of what I've come to expect if that makes sense?

Is anyone here really “mad” at them? I haven’t read any posts calling them names, etc... but maybe I missed it(odd of that did happen and a clear overreaction).

Anyway, you’re spot on.....

I'm kind of "meh" about the whole thing, in general. An announcement was made and they announced a radio station a short time later. Cool. Other than that, I don't really know if this requires too much of an over analysis here. :shrug:

I'll risk getting flamed here, and just provide the devil's advocate....

I'm not as bothered at how this went down, compared to everyone else. Maybe it's cuz I see it this way:

Main argument of : why from a stage in Tokyo where they can't listen to it?
- I don't see it as being announced "to the Tokyo audience" per -say. I see it, as the intention was the satellite hook-up to Howard stern listeners. They've done a mid concert link-up many time before so think of the Howard Stern Who So Serious as no different than "to the secret policeman's ball" or the many others. They happened to do this from the Tokyo stage, but it could have been Brisbane, Auckland, Miami, etc, either way the link-up itself was to interrupt Howard Stern listeners. The Tokyo audience happened to be the ones to witness it, but if anything, I think Bono' s words remained vague, and didn't specific address the Tokyo audience in the house telling THEM to expect this radio channel. If he had said something like "we hope all of you listen to us 24/7 On u2Xradio", then that sounds like it was directed potentially to the venue's audience. But his vagueness, of not wanting to fully explain what it was to the audience (and instead let the Sirus adverts explain it and knowing Howard would be explaining it) makes sense to me.

Argument of: why send it to social media worldwide?
-besides the fact that it was probably a stipulation by bigger entities like Sirus and Live Nation, it seems ridiculous to think they should limit their advertising by region. When they announce an India concert, should they only advertise in India? No, cuz people might travel to India. Exactly like people might travel to North America, and could listen to U2Radio while they are there.(my last rental car there, came with it automatically enabled). I for one, was not bothered the mildest when, for instance, I was sent u2 emails about a one-time R+H screening at Dublin's Savoy theatre in Nov 2018. Sure, I was nowhere near there, but there was a chance I could have been travelling there, plus it felt good to be in the loop and know it was going on. Maybe I had wanted to communicate the news to someone else I knew in the region? Same with the Brandenburg bridge gig 2009, same with the Blackout video shoot, same with U2XRadio.

Argument of: why overhype it?
-they didn't. That was us. All they said was some news, and they delivered some news. They didnt say HUGE news, they didn't hint at band's future, they didn't hint at any new material. That was ALL us doing that. They were simply using their social media, the way we have been complaining about them not doing enough.

Many may disagree with me, but this how I honestly intruptted it right from the start and was shocked that so many were miffed by it. But decided to outline my way of thinking, just incase it helps anyone else reframe their perspective on this and come to peace with it

If the channel is launched with any trial promos, they can use the chorus from Last Night On Earth.

Back
Top Bottom