American Idol - Season 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
posted on MJsbigblog

Ryan Seacrest Interviews Ken Warwick About the Twist - One Time Only Veto Power?
Published by mj March 11th, 2009 in Ken Warwick, Ryan Seacrest, AI Season 8 and American Idol Experience.

Ryan Seacrest interviewed Ken Warwick on his radio program today. Ken says the “new rule” that will be introduced tonight came about to solve a “problem that’s been around since Season 1.”

Ken says they tried the rule out in the French version of Idol first.

According to the Wikipedia entry for Nouvelle Star, in the last series, the judges were able to exercise a one time veto on an eliminated contestant at any point in the competition. The judges used their veto during the first week, sparing a contestant named Kristov, who was eventually eliminated 3 weeks later.

According to poster Valentin432, here’s how the new rule worked in France:

---The judge get a veto power, it means that they can save one contestant during the whole season.

---It works the following way, after the contestant(s) was eliminated, the judges have a meeting and decide if he is worth saving or not. If they decide he deserved it they give him another chance and the following week they start the show with the same contestants.

If it is a one-time only veto, I’m still not liking it, but I can live with it–much better than a weekly sing-off between the bottom dwellers, with the judges choosing who goes home.

Of course, the American version of the rule might be tweaked a little. For instance, a double elimination would occur the next week to make up for the reprieve since AI cannot be extended another week.

If a rule like this had been in place in prior seasons, Tamyra Gray, Jennifer Hudson, Chris Daughtry, Michael Johns, and Constantine Maroulis may have lasted on the show longer…

But then, what’s American Idol without it’s yearly shock boot? That’s controversy right there. And AI thrives on controversy…

So, I love me some Adam Lambert. The top 13 weren't as bad as I though. Heck I even liked Danny, go figure.

My favorites from yesterday: Adam - Loved his rendition of Black or White. He has so much charisma on stage, and apparently the performance was even better in person.
Matt Giraud - He definitely put a Justin Timberlake spin on that tune and I really liked it. I also have a feeling I would have liked his Viva La Vida better if he had been able to play piano to it.
Allison Iraheta - Love her vocals. I am still amazed she is 16.
Danny Gokey - I really haven't liked any of his performances until last night. I really liked his PYT.
Lil Rounds - Solid performance.

I didn't hate Anoop, Kris, Jasmine. Megan was odd and I really didn't like poor Jorge.

As for the twist, I agree it will likely be some sort of veto. I wonder if it will be one for the season or one for each judge for the season.

Oh snap. I'm already lovin this new rule.

And Alexis helping Blind Guy Scott during the group sing? That's the kinda thing that will make me fall in love with a girl.

I was hoping Anoop was going but I don't think he's long for the show anyway.

My new favourite is Allison. I look forward to what she will perform.

I agree that Michael needs to go. We're just delaying the inevitable with that guy.

This. He and Kris bother me. I just want them gone. Also, Kris' wife looks like a total airhead. I realize that's mean, but seriously, did you guys see her in that video before his performance on Tuesday?

ETA: Next week's theme is Grand Ole Opry songs/artists. This should be interesting for some contestants. However, if it means classic country songs, I say, thank God.

I like Adam. :shrug: I wouldn't buy a record but I think he's fun and I like seeing somebody that accomplished and confident, even if it's not the kind of singing I like, or even if he could annoy me someday. He seems like a good guy, too.

I actually like a lot of them this year. Danny, Matt, little girl with the big voice, Lil ... this group seems more accomplished than usual, although I haven't watched every season.

Scott should go. Pop music just doesn't need a bland-blind Barry Manilow.

I think the right two people went home last night.

Agreed. I kinda felt bad that Jasmine got thru as a wild card, when maybe Jesse would have been a little better or had a better shot :shrug: Oh well, that's the way it goes!

And you can't deny Adam has talent and confidence. I think he should do well, but I still prefer Danny, Matt, and Alexis. Anoop won't last long if he doesn't improve his song choice. Nice guys Michael and Scott can go home too. Scott has talent, but I just don't see him doing well on this type of show/competition. :shrug:

And next week's theme is Grand Ol' Opry? :|

I hope the judges don't waste the Veto vote. I knew they weren't going to use it on the first week of shows last night. Just the way Simon came off saying no to Jorge seemed harsh.

wait what's Grand Ol' Opry? :reject: x1,000,000
:uhoh: i saw this pop up on ispy :uhoh:

grand ole opry is a radio station programme as well as a venue where country music stars play. i'm not a country music fan at all so i can't tell you anything about what it's like, but i've been to the old venue that was grand ole opry, which is now called ryman auditorium, in nashville. if you've seen the movie walk the line, many of the live scenes were filmed there. (and here in memphis, but that's another story.)

Why do they continue to have country week? The majority of these singers are not going to be singing country music, so it is really pointless, imo. And every year it turns out awful. The judges rip them apart... well what did they expect?

Why do they continue to have country week? The majority of these singers are not going to be singing country music, so it is really pointless, imo. And every year it turns out awful. The judges rip them apart... well what did they expect?

This is American Idol and, like it or not, country music is probably the most popular genre of music in America. They have to reach out to that demographic. Not to mention the fact that probably the most successful artist to ever come out of this show is a country artist.

Also, who exactly did the judges "rip apart" tonight? I can't recall a single performer tonight getting unanimously trashed by the judges. In fact, most of the feedback was pretty positive.

This is American Idol and, like it or not, country music is probably the most popular genre of music in America. They have to reach out to that demographic. Not to mention the fact that probably the most successful artist to ever come out of this show is a country artist.

Also, who exactly did the judges "rip apart" tonight? I can't recall a single performer tonight getting unanimously trashed by the judges. In fact, most of the feedback was pretty positive.

You are absolutely right, and that's why oil rig dude made the top 13. I'm just in a snarky mood tonight. Country week on AI does that to me. I'm not a fan. It usually sucks and i was expecting more suckery tonight. Now that i've watched it, i'll say i was pleasantly surprised by alot of the performances.

That being said, oil rig dude needs to go! :wave:

I loved Adam's version of "Ring of Fire". It was incredibly sexy. I usually hate when the contestants try to change up a song to be "edgy", but that just worked for me. I disagreed with the judges, I thought it was big risk that paid off.

My favorites of the night were Matt and Megan. I was hoping someone would take on "Walkin' After Midnight", which is one of my favorite songs, period. I loathe "So Small", but Matt made me like it.:heart:

Michael and Kris need to leave now.

I loved Adam's version of "Ring of Fire". It was incredibly sexy. I usually hate when the contestants try to change up a song to be "edgy", but that just worked for me. I disagreed with the judges, I thought it was big risk that paid off.

Ahhh, you just think he's hot. I have a problem with that because I've never, ever liked a contestant on Idol based on their looks. :wink:

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how well do you know Matt Giraud? Because he's headed for the Top 5 at least, and I'm thinking that once he signs a record deal and becomes filthy rich he can give you a few hundred thousand dollars and then you can come here and share the wealth with all of the American Idol fans on Interference. Like me, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom