All U2 'lack of' whatever HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyJB

Refugee
First of all I just wanna say this is only an observation, I appreciate the guy is getting older and he is singing incredibly right now. But I've noticed at the Dublin and Wembley gigs that I've been to, a distinct lack of energy from Bono particularly when it comes to venturing onto the outer circle ramp. I was on the barrier of the ramp on the pitch in London last night and Bono must have come past about 3 times, I think Adam was utilising it more!!

Songs like Streets and Mysterious Ways - in the past he would come running down on to the ramps, now he's stood by the mic stand on the stage all the way through! Could this maybe have anything to do with the sound quality deteriorating when out on the ramp as opposed to being on the stage, hence why they would be reluctant to stray out there too often.

Just a small gripe I've had, needless to say the 2 gigs I've been to have been the most amazing ever, and will probably never be beaten. I'd just love to see a tad more energy in Bono!!

I think it's been like this for a while now. I noticed that towards the end of the Vertigo tour Bono would venture off to the rest of the stage less and less, but there were rumours he had a back problem, so this could be why.

The last time he utilized the stage area thoroughly was probably in the Elevation tour.

But I guess the man is getting older, so back problems, age, lack of fitness? you know all taking its toll.

Of course, there's always gonna be people here who beg to differ.

Agree

I was at Wembley last night in the Red Zone 2 Adams side right by the catwalk and we saw very little of Bono, however we got loads of Adam and he was on great form.

However the show, the stadium and the audience were fantastic from where I was, it was also loud which was great. Doing it all again tonight so we'll see if Bono has got some left in his tank!

Cheers
Warby

he was really hyper and energetic when i saw them in Paris... so much so i was shocked in fact! even sprinted a lap of the walkway at the beginning of COBL - i thought he wasn't doing too bad for an old man lmfao!!! ;)

It wouldn't have anything to do with sound quality... Bono could go anywhere in the stadium and his IEM feed would sound the same. That's why IEMs were designed in the first place.

Maybe Bono has swine flu. Or he's actually just a narcissistic liar who wants our money without providing a good show. :sad:

i agree. i thought Bono would have at least learned gymnastics by now.

here's to hoping for a floor routine 2nd leg!

Unbelievable! For a guy his age who fits as much into every day as he does Bono does an amazing job. To sing the way Bono does takes an amazing amount of energy. I couldnt have been happier with his performance last night.

If he's still got a back problem I doubt he'd be swinging on his microphone during Ultraviolet. I reckon it's because he's got to concentrate on his singing as he seems to stretch his neck more than he used to, probably in order to tighten his vocal cords to compensate for the loosing that happens with age.

C'mon guys, it's obvioulsy not back problems or lack of energy. If anything it's because he is so fat he can barely move. No wait, i think it's because he is so rich he doesn't care about us fans and wants to gaze down on us from underneath the claw Jesus he built (thank you, tax shelter).

Incredible what things people find to complain about on this forum. :scratch:

Honestly, I was just talking to a friend of mine yesterday and admired Bono's energy and said how great he was for his age.

At all the concerts I've been to, he seemed very energetic and dynamic, really hyper, no signs of tiredness or anything. Also, his voice seems very good. I don't know where these theories are coming from.

As for the catwalk/bridges thing: Yes, that's actually true, but I doubt it has to do with energy, maybe more with confidence or band contact/communication. Btw, it's not only Bono, it's the rest of the band as well that could make more use of the catwalk. In Zagreb, Bono was more on the bridges and catwalk than anywhere else and also a lot on the back side of the stage.

Whenever I was standing at the catwalk, I came close to Bono several times. He was on the bridges a lot, jumping around, leaning down, it was pretty cool.

Sometimes I think he just gets lost in the song or has to concentrate and doesn't think: Oh, I should go there and there because I haven't for a while. Seriously, none of us knows what's going on inside a performer's mind.

It might have to do with sound quality, I don't know, but certainly not with Bono not having the energy. The man leads three lives in one and gets up at 6 every morning, I assure you he simply has to be more energetic than most other guys his age. He looks very fit.

But lack of energy: Certainly know. Also, I don't think his back is bothering him too much. If you're in back pain, you don't swing from a hanging microphone like a monkey.

Yeah, I have a really hard time taking anyone seriously who complains about Bono's energy when the man jumps into the audience swinging around on a cable holding his mic every single night while wearing an LED jacket and practically blowing stadiums apart with his vocals on that song.

Nobody is really complaining unicorn, well I'm not complaining last time I checked. Just saying that his presence on the catwalk is a lot less than it was say during the beginning of the Vertigo tour and the elevation tour before that that's all.

why doesn't anyone complain about Larry's lack of energy? All Larry does is sit on his arse behind the drum kit all night long and scowl at people. Shooting down all of Bono's wild ideas with a simple mean look, he probably keeps all of them on a short leash. He's truly the lazy one (i don't want to work, i just wanna bang on the drum all day) who profits from their hard work and his "two words" for the fans who dare question him. No wonder he hasn't aged like the rest of them.

If im falling apart at 50 like Bono currently is, for God sakes somebody shoot me!

im really concerned about Paul McGuinne$$' lack of energy...i mean the promotion for this album/tour has almost been non-existent. Maybe they should have taken on corporate sponsorhip this time round, you know, kind of take the burden off of Paul Mac. And what about Willie Williams? This stage setup leaves a lot to be desired...

im really concerned about Paul McGuinne$$' lack of energy...i mean the promotion for this album/tour has almost been non-existent. Maybe they should have taken on corporate sponsorhip this time round, you know, kind of take the burden off of Paul Mac. And what about Willie Williams? This stage setup leaves a lot to be desired...

And that fucking Brian Eno... always playing around with his keyboards and making silly ambient stuff... no energy, why the fuck isn't he shredding guitar instead? Don't even get me started on Lanois... fucking French Canadian...

I'm 33 and I notice a slight lessening of energy for the past couple of years. I probably should only have sex twice a day without medication.

About Lanois, I know he's French-Canadian by name, but does he really parlay Frahn-say? I thought he was from Hamilton, which is about the English-est city in Canada (also the only butt-ugly city in Canada). In his book, Bob Dylan calls Lanois a "yankee" (!).

Which of these 2 are more energic :

49 years old Bono

or

65 years old Mick Jagger

I'm 33 and I notice a slight lessening of energy for the past couple of years. I probably should only have sex twice a day without medication.

About Lanois, I know he's French-Canadian by name, but does he really parlay Frahn-say? I thought he was from Hamilton, which is about the English-est city in Canada (also the only butt-ugly city in Canada). In his book, Bob Dylan calls Lanois a "yankee" (!).

Oui, il parle frahn-say. Listen to Acadie - about a third to half of the lyrics are en frahn-say... he even uses both languages in the same sentence at times (she's mon amie!).

The only lack of energy I should really be concerned about is my own. After the second Zagreb show I was really exhausted and thought: Man, I'm getting old :wink:

Seriously, I agree about Bono not being on the catwalk enough, but I doubt it has to do with his energy, there may be other, technical reasons to it. I wish he'd be out there more, though. I think Bono is best when he's really close to the fans and communicating with the audience.

someone get him some:

5-hour-drink.gif

-dan

Back
Top Bottom