Agape in I Will Follow.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aski

Acrobat
i just listened to the Boston 4 December 2005 bootleg today (a tremendous bootleg btw!)

and then i suddenly heard what Bono sings/shouts at the end of I Will Follow, which i have heard several times before without recognizing it.

it's 'Agape', which means 'God's love for humanity'.

cool or what?? :)

Agape is also a mother's love for a child, or a friend, or so on. Unconditional love.

Greek :)

from the online Wikipedia:

Agapē (written αγάπη in the Greek alphabet, and pronounced /aga̍pe/ or /a̍gape/), is one of several Greek words meaning love. The word has been used in different ways by a variety of contemporary and ancient sources, including Biblical authors. Many have thought that this word represents divine, unconditional, self-sacrificing, active, volitional, thoughtful love. Greek philosophers at the time of Plato and other ancient authors use the term to denote love of a spouse or family or affection for a particular activity, in contrast to philia, an affection that could either denote brotherhood or generally a non-sexual affection, or eros, an affection of a sexual nature, usually between two unequal partners, the lover (eraste) and beloved (eromenos). The term is rarely used in ancient manuscripts. The term was used by the early Christians to refer to the special love for God and God's love for humanity, as well as the self-sacrificing love they believed all should have for each other.

A gape has been expounded on by many Christian writers in a specifically Christian context. In this Christian context, agape has been defined as an intentional response to promote well-being when responding to that which has generated ill-being (Thomas Jay Oord).

Even so, I refuse to support any theories stating that the song has anything to do with religion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom