"After all, they are in their 40's..."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roger CLemons, Barry Bonds, Randy Johnson....all in their forties... who is better?

beli said:
I dont understand the need for journalists to mention U2s ages. Why is it relevant? Are these journalists 16 years old? :shrug:

I wish they would stop it. I really dont care how old the members of U2 are. And the youngsters that may worry about this sort of thing aren't likely to be reading reviews in crusty magazines anyway so who cares? :huh:

PS Im old.

I've always wondered the same thing. Why does age ALWAYS come into play? If the music is good, I don't care if the artist is 25 or 55. Good music is good music.

Yes, I'm old too :grumpy:

Bono's American Wife said:

I've always wondered the same thing. Why does age ALWAYS come into play? If the music is good, I don't care if the artist is 25 or 55. Good music is good music.

Yes, I'm old too :grumpy:

Originally posted by beli
PS Im old.

You know what? I've decided to start a revolution -- I'm 40, and I am NOT OLD, DAMN IT!!!! (just a little demented :huh: )

Im not really old. I just feel old in this context. My Nana laughs at me when I say "when I was younger". She says "cause youre old now" and laughs. Shes 92. Gotta laugh Nana :hug:

stray dog said:
Roger CLemons, Barry Bonds, Randy Johnson....all in their forties... who is better?

Steroids

Sting is good , David Bowie , The boss
but those are people , as for the bands , this is where it goes down ina bad way , families , awful skills , boredom , drugs etc etc

I think with U2, part of it has to do with the fact that they try to be commercially relevant and commericially relevant means being judged by the kids and let's face it to kids 40 is old and old is yuck.

This thing with U2 hanging in the same league as young rockers reminds me of college. In college in almost every class there was an older student or two. I remember how the college age students usually seemed to ask questions and make comments to draw attention to themselves whereas the older students who seemed to better understand the value of education would pose more insightful questions and comments. I would look forward to when the professor would call on the older students. A lot of the younger students seemed to not fully appreciate the older students wisdom and contributions.

U2 will get better, even more so when they stop trying to be the self conscious young student and embrace their life long learner selves. They should just write the masterpieces and let the chips fall where they may.

I've personally never said "after all they are in their 40's". What I am guilty of saying is that "this is good for a band that's been around for 25 years". And I'll stand by that statement. These types of sales are unheard of for a band that has been around this long - precious few artists can achieve those types of number period, let alone a band with this longevity.

To me, age has little to do with success. If anything, age should increase the odds of success (due to experience).

Of course, there may be a reason why some "older" artists are succeeding. Take a good look at some of the most popular people. Sure, you have the Britneys, Ashleys and Jesiccas, but you also have Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Courtney Cox, Jennifer Aniston, Jim Carrey, Teri Hatcher, etc. All of these people are in the mid-30's or later. Heck, even Angelina Jolie is turning 30! So being 25 and under isn't always "that" cool, especially when the popular people are older. ;) Hence this partially could account for why a bunch of men "in their 40's" are having such success.

doctorwho said:
I've personally never said "after all they are in their 40's". What I am guilty of saying is that "this is good for a band that's been around for 25 years". And I'll stand by that statement. These types of sales are unheard of for a band that has been around this long - precious few artists can achieve those types of number period, let alone a band with this longevity.

To me, age has little to do with success. If anything, age should increase the odds of success (due to experience).

Actually I'm not really even all that worried about what most would define as success (ie., massive sales), I'm really more interested in good quality work. As long as the work is good and I can find the CD, I don't care who else buys it. And you are right, experience should make for better musicians...I think that fans and the musicians themselves just have to realize that age and experience can be wonderful well from which to draw great music. I think we have to expect more from quality artists.

Back
Top Bottom