Adam's bassline on Vertigo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always liked that interview - I've seen the book in boarders and have always loved to read the front cover blurb from Adam - very sweet
that being said - you can do a whole lot more in life with a rythmic beat than a melodic beat :) vertigo has both in spades - Adam Clayton I feel is going to shine on this album

It's a killer bass, no doubt about it. I hope a return to the type of form he showed on Pop, the bass lick on Do You Feel Loved is a stunner. I have high hopes for Adam with this incoming record, I too hope they turn him up a bit in the mix.

Ahhh, DO You Feel Loved bass line - very, very UNDER RATED. Great point.

They say this is Edge's album, but Vertigo might be Adam's song !

elfyx said:
Isn't that a compressor we hear?

Originally posted by babyman
who else noticed adam's using a compressor on the bass?
it's a bass effect which makes the bass sound harder, you can hear it at the beginning of the song, it's definitely a compressor!!!! big adam!!!

Some people don't have a clue about sound engineering. Compression is a way of smoothing out a signal's volume, so that the bass or any instrument doesn't have patchy spots where it sounds too loud or too soft. Every professional musician, whether he's a bassist, guitarist, or singer, uses compression. Why are some people acting like compression is the mother of all bass effects? It's not. If you need to look it up, please do so.

Also, Adam is simply playing the same line that Edge is playing. Nothing remarkable about it, other than the driving sound that makes the overall sound of the song heavier. In earlier albums, Adam actually got off his ass and played lines that had a life of its own. The problem with punk songs nowadays is that the bassist hardly ever plays notes that are not the same as the power chords that the guitarist play.

Still, Vertigo is a good song. As a band, U2 plays well together.

:ohmy: well, at least i can hear how aweful Vertigo was mastered.

and, i feel Edge is playing over Adam's groove, and not the other way around- at least for the one riff. that's ok though because the two instruments diverge and come back and there is plenty of diversity in both of them.

Flying FuManchu said:
My impression is that even the music snobs/ non-U2 fans respect Adam Clayton's bass playing... I think that in itself says a lot...

That's very true. I can show Adam's riffs to ANYONE and they will say it's good stuff. :up:

I'd venture starting or joining an Adam fan-club, but there's no way I'm venturing into PLEBA.:wink:

TheBrazilianFly said:

That's very true. I can show Adam's riffs to ANYONE and they will say it's good stuff. :up:

My criticism of Adam's bass playing only refers to his work on Vertigo. Achtung Baby, POP, Zooropa, and even the Joshua Tree showcases his best work. He WAS a very clever bass player. Now he's just doing what he's paid for, holding down a rhythm. It started in ATYCLB and it continues with Vertigo. I hope we see Adam actually shine on the other songs.

TGBHF was the last great Adam song.

GibsonExplorer said:

My criticism of Adam's bass playing only refers to his work on Vertigo. Achtung Baby, POP, Zooropa, and even the Joshua Tree showcases his best work. He WAS a very clever bass player. Now he's just doing what he's paid for, holding down a rhythm. It started in ATYCLB and it continues with Vertigo. I hope we see Adam actually shine on the other songs.

TGBHF was the last great Adam song.

I'm not questioning your respect for Adam man. I understand your criticism. One of the reason why I like Adam's playing so much is because he is in a band with a great and original guitar player who comes up with stuff of his own and it would be very easy for Adam to just copy Edge's riffs. But instead he comes up with kick ass bass riffs of his own that actually blend in pretty damn well with whatever Edge is playing. That's the reason why I, like you, am not too fond of Adam's bass playing on ATYCB, it didn't have anything special from him. We have only heard Vertigo out of all the other songs this new album will have. And still I don't think Adam is totally mimicking Edge's riff on Vertigo, I’m not a bass player and English is not really my first language so excuse me if I say something wrong here but if you listen to his bassline on Vertigo he uses low and high sounding notes on his riff, which differentiates it from Edge's riff and makes it in my opinion a groovy bassline that complements Bono's melody and adds to the fun of the song. He did the necessary for the song. Let’s just wait and see what Adam brings to this new album. I don't think he will do something as amazing as Pop or some of the other albums but I do think he will have his moments on it and that it will be better than ATYCLB.

By the way wich song is TGBHF?

Last edited:
I think Adam plays fabulous bass on this record, front to finish. He has made himself a better player.

I'll settle one thing for you...his bracelet. He got it as a personal gift. It is certainly a private treasure for him.

I don't know- I always thought Adam's bass on ATYCLB was pretty good- subtle maybe in places, but very well accomplished. The way it was produced, however, Adam, Larry and Edge all weren't really high in the mix. Bono's vocals were though. I'm glad to hear all four being brought back together in the mix for Vertigo.

The Edge said:
I think Adam plays fabulous bass on this record, front to finish. He has made himself a better player.

I'll settle one thing for you...his bracelet. He got it as a personal gift. It is certainly a private treasure for him.

PLEBA girls are gonna go crazy now! :lol:

Can you name a song that you think Adam has really done a great work and that his bass playing has helped it develop on the new album?

Last edited:
TheBrazilianFly said:

PLEBA girls are gonna go crazy now! :lol:

Can you name a song that you think Adam has really done a great work and that his bass playing has helped it develop on the new album?

Love and Peace and City of Blinding Lights are great songs. Tremendous bass!

The Edge said:

I've always wondered why he never took it off. He's had it for ages.

I can't wait to hear the rest of what Adam brought to this record. It seems if the Edge and Larry stepped up their playing, then Adam would have as well. I've always been a fan of Adam's playing though. "Do You Feel Loved" :drool:

The Edge said:

Ahhh! That is fantastic to hear! I hope there are more of his wonderful syncopated rhythms and beautiful weaves that tie everything together.

I'm really looking forward to the album. Thanks so much for sharing your gifts to the world.

The Edge said:

Love and Peace and City of Blinding Lights are great songs. Tremendous bass!

Ummmm, the clip we have of LAP really do have good bass (even though we can't hear it right). Need. New. Album. Now.

Thanks for answering my question and say hello to Adam for me. :up:

kellyahern said:

:lol: no, but my father says there is a big gathering of Aherns from around the world every year in Ireland, and the Prime Minister does go to that :lol:

The Taoiseach? Good for him.

Hey Edge, there's a good article about Adam on this thread somewhere, it's with the guy who helped him out before POP started. It's a great read. Maybe you'll like it. :up:

Back
Top Bottom