Achtung Baby/Zooropa remasters CONFIRMED for Fall 2011 by Rolling Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I figured it out

From the Sky down

Under a Blood Red Sky.

That's when it started happening bigtime, JT they went through the sky up into stardom. It all crashed down on R&H and they went back to reinvent themselves for AB.

Does anybody noticed on the welcome screen of u2.com that the artwork of achtung baby has one tile that says " cat number", it's upper left near the middle.What's up with that?

this would have been incredible if only they included any other show than sydney, which everyone on this board must have already, and why not include, say the dublin radio broadcast cds, again while most have this, it would have been very cool to get them in some remastered form with better sound, why on earth would they use sydney, unless disc four does have another show, but i seriously doubt that it will,

this would have been incredible if only they included any other show than sydney, which everyone on this board must have already, and why not include, say the dublin radio broadcast cds, again while most have this, it would have been very cool to get them in some remastered form with better sound, why on earth would they use sydney, unless disc four does have another show, but i seriously doubt that it will,

Yeah, where's the Washington DVD?

U2 > News > Baby Grows Up

large.jpg

:drool:

Repeat after me.....Never believe what i said...i'm not an INSIDER! :sexywink:

Is it possible that the 'baby' disc is the whole album performed live? I can't remember if the songs they played in Hansa were for Glastonbury practice, for the Sky Falls Down documentary, or what... :shifty:

Actually, u2.com saying that "a full album of demo and early versions of the final 1991 tracklisting has also been revealed" pretty much kills that theory - the 'baby' disc must just be early versions (which is still awesome). I guess any performances u2 did this year will be on that documentary, if they are released at all...

Repeat after me.....Never believe what i said...i'm not an INSIDER! :sexywink:

What?! They remastered AB and put a bunch of extras? No way, I didn't see that coming...

They're releasing it right around the 20th anniversary of it's release date?

No fucking way!!!

My god you're brilliant, thank you for your insight.

I will take back everything.

Ha! Just think a few days ago some people were complaining they might include the Washington ZooTV show because it was a widely available bootleg. Now you're getting Sydney hahaha

A great collectors item but the inclusion of ZOOTV Sydney DVD and the exclusion of Zooropa Extras are a bit hard to understand, unless Zooropa will also get a seperate release with a B-Side disc... seems interesting, but quite expensive, a lot of new unreleased material but I just don't know, hard to explain, part of me wants this and thinks it is probably their best release for collectors, the other part thinks it is a missed opportunity to include a lot of stuff that was only released on promos, especially Zooropa... a lot of stuff missing from that era :hmm:

Folks, this thing is NOT remastered. No where in the press release does it say it's remastered, and ALL the previous "remastered" press releases mentioned it in the first sentence. The press release specifically calls it a "reissue". Not a single member of the band or management ever said this set would be remastered. In the Rolling Stone article about this a few months ago the article called it a "reissue" and McGuiness even called it a reissue.

Acthung Baby's not remastered.
Zooropa's not remastered.

It's NOT A REMASTER. And who says Achtung Baby needs a remaster anyway?

I think the whole Sydney DVD is a joke! Listen to the start of the Numb Remix.

' The highschool crowd (read: U2 fans) hasn't been very happy with our products lately'. Answer :"You can't blame them. They want new material. Our stuff has been repeated too many times. You can't sell the same thing to the same old crowd forever. '
:applaud::applaud:

Listen and see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2BTzFDJAJQ (the numb video remix)

If they do have any more concert releases planned for this era, they may wish it to have a wide release and therefore didn't want to limit it to a super-expensive box set.:shrug:

Spin say's it's remastered..:wink:
U2 Unveil Massive 'Achtung Baby' Boxset | SPIN.com

On October 31, The Biggest Band On Earth will drop 20 Years of Achtung Baby, a massive boxset with six CDs and four DVDs. The goods include a remastered version of the namesake album and its 1993 follow-up Zooropa, plus five 7-inch singles, previously unheard songs from the sessions, the ZOO TV: Live from Sydney concert movie, and a new documentary about the LP, From the Sky Down, directed by Oscar-winner Davis Guggenheim (Waiting for Superman, An Inconvenient Truth). Also: a pair of Bono's black bug-eyed "Fly" sunglasses -- see 'em in action in the "Even Better Than the Real Thing" and "The Fly" videos below.

Nice remarks from them also:

U2 became the emblematic band of the alternative-rock era with Achtung Baby. Struggling to simultaneously embrace and blow up the world, they were never more inspirational."

Wow you are so sure? Sure it may not say "remaster" anywhere but it just would not make any sense at all to re-release AB without remastering it. None.

Why? I'll tell you the "sense" in it...to release all those deluxe editions with the "rarities", videos, etc. and make a mint. Bands do it all the time now.

Who's to say U2 even thought it should be remastered? Have you ever read a single word from the band or McGuiness that AB or Zooropa would be remastered? In fact, McGuiness constantly referred to it as a "reissue"...just as the press release does. Ever read anything from the Edge, or any member of the band about being in the studio remastering it? And again, why no mention of it in the press release, when it was prominently mentioned for all the other remasters?

Fans assumed it would be remastered, but nothing from the band ever indicated that.

Spin say's it's remastered..:wink:
U2 Unveil Massive 'Achtung Baby' Boxset | SPIN.com

Nice remarks from them also:

Well, I think "Spin" is making assumptions just like fans are. There's absolutely no word from U2...nor has there ever been, that this was going to ever be a remaster. That article does not quote anyone from U2 directly...and in fact in the Rolling Stone article at the same time they called it a "reissue"...and that's what McGuinness called it.

When was the Edge, or anyone else in U2, in the studio doing this "remaster". Don't you think the band would want to be involved in doing for their most important album?

If there's a quote from any member of the band or management that this edition was ever going to be remastered, I'd love to see it.

We've still got a while before this thing is out and I am sure between now and it's re-release we'll get word that it's remastered. It's in the xact same formats as previous remaster and besides why go to all the trouble to do a non-remaster re-release if you're going to remaster it anyway?

Um, yes.

They mentioned the whole back catalog would be remastered.

Um, no. Do you have that quote? One directly from U2? And even if they did say that once upon a time, that doesn't mean this release is a remaster. U2 changes their mind about these things all the time. Songs of Ascent anyone? Where's that "hard rock" record?

Meanwhile, we have the press release calling it a "reissue" when in ALL the other press releases for the previous "remasters" they were PROMINENTLY called "remasters". If it's specifically being released as a remaster, you'd think they'd, um, mention it in the sales materials. And we have McGuinness specifically calling this a "reissue" in his statement. I think he'd know.

You're engaging in wishful thinking, but there's not a single piece of evidence indicating this is a remaster.

We've still got a while before this thing is out and I am sure between now and it's re-release we'll get word that it's remastered. It's in the xact same formats as previous remaster and besides why go to all the trouble to do a non-remaster re-release if you're going to remaster it anyway?

Who said they're going to "remaster it anyway"?

I think I figured it out

From the Sky down

Under a Blood Red Sky.

That's when it started happening bigtime, JT they went through the sky up into stardom. It all crashed down on R&H and they went back to reinvent themselves for AB.

I take it as a reference to the old saying of building something "from the ground up." This is the opposite. I'm sure it's a quote from Bono or somebody in the film.

"We were trying to build this thing from the sky down..."

Something along those lines.

And who says Achtung Baby needs a remaster anyway?

Many people.

For example, I have an internet friend, who posts on this very message board, known as Peef Wellington (or we can call him Peefer Sutherland) who is adamant about the fact that Achtung Baby is a poorly mixed and mastered album.

Many people.

For example, I have an internet friend, who posts on this very message board, known as Peef Wellington (or we can call him Peefer Sutherland) who is adamant about the fact that Achtung Baby is a poorly mixed and mastered album.

Well, perhaps U2 should talk to your friend, because apparently, they disagree. And I think most engineers might disagree with that. You can say you'd remaster that album differently...but to call one of the most critically acclaimed albums in history "poorly" mastered is kind of absurd. And if it was that poorly mastered, U2 would have remastered it. And they'd make a big deal of saying so in the press release, like they did for the other remasters. Where is all this talk of an AB remaster? Anywhere?

Again, if you can find any indication from the band this is a remaster, I'd love to see it. I'm not saying I don't want a remaster...I'd love it...but I just don't have any indication from the band that they've done it for this release. Much the opposite in fact.

That man has questionable opinions. Achtung Baby is a brilliantly mixed album. That and Loveless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom