Achtung Baby/Zooropa remasters CONFIRMED for Fall 2011 by Rolling Stone - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry for the fat bastard inference. but that's my wry humour, and i know most people here understand.

but RIM still sucks ass. no comments made about that.

Probably been posted (haven't been following along with the thread at all - I've been on vacation for most of the past week), but this is kind of ridiculous:
Amazon.com: Achtung Baby (Vinyl Box): U2: Music
Jeez, guys, $170 for 4 LPs? That should be maybe $60 at most.

That is pretty ridiculous. Thought I am sure that the prices on these things (Super Deluxe, Uber Deluxe, and the Vinyl) will probably come down. The regular one disc album and 2 CD Deluxe will probably remain as they are. I'm hoping the Super Deluxe will come down to at least $120, even further would be better. I've already pre-ordered and I'd like to see these prices go down. There's my whole (early) Christmas right here. My parents are nice enough to let me pre-order, maybe I convinced them with the "THIS IS THE ONLY THING I WANT!!!" argument? :D It really is, honestly, all I want this year.

Probably been posted (haven't been following along with the thread at all - I've been on vacation for most of the past week), but this is kind of ridiculous:

Refresh my memory... is this all the album tracks plus some extras, or is it just the 12 songs off the original album?

nirniva said:

This is geared more towards collectors and thus they are trying to get "collector" money. It's ridiculous to charge $170 for just 4 LPS containing songs most people already have.

There are a number of problems with the collectable items. No one is going to deny that it is expensive and will give your heart a shock when you see it. But the reason amazon and U2 are charging so much is that it will sell.

It seems that U2 have resigned that it is going to be bought and sought after for high prices. Why allow the middleman to profit of off their labours? Why not jack the price high off then reap the rewards. It really hasn't been U2's policy to do this sort of thing in the past, but they seem to have embraced this approach with tickets and now with this re-issue item.

'Regular' fans still have the option of buying the standard edition so are not denied anything. I am sure that the tracks will be available per track on iTunes as well. See a case below to give more insight into music collector practices.

Case #1

If you look at what happened with the Eddie Vedder Soundtrack, Into the Wild, you can see a parallel. There is a blog about it here.

Eddie and Co. still seem to embrace the 'cheap out the door' policy, which is gracious and considerate to fans, but is it really fair that fans/middlemen profit hundreds of dollars off of albums they had zero to do with?

Case #2

If you look at Jack Whites approach, he is less tolerable.
Jack White defends Third Man Records eBay auctions | Music | guardian.co.uk

The plot thickens as well because, if U2 don't release their albums, some pirate company will set up press copies illegally with presumably inferior quality. Thats why many artists are releasing material they are not 100% behind artistically. Further, they might want to keep collector prices down and one way to do this is to release material so it doesn't become scarce. I am sure that many people want the AB record and if U2 release more into the market, demand will be met and prices will go down.

At the end of the day, it is the fans/industry middlemen who sell and flip ruin it for everyone. They break the trust between artist and fan.

When they release it, it will be a new copy with updated art and sound. Yeah.

canedge

I think one thing people often overlook in these collector sets are the books. If you buy a nice 92 page coffee table book full of artwork, you might spend $100 or more.

Is it just me or is the only real difference between the super and uber sets a pair of sunglasses, an issue of propaganda and a couple of vinyls?

And that costs £200 extra...

Is it just me or is the only real difference between the super and uber sets a pair of sunglasses, an issue of propaganda and a couple of vinyls?

And that costs £200 extra...

Don't forget the sticker sheet! :wink:

It seems indeed that that's the only difference. (However, if you order from Universal, you also get a lithograph with it.)
So I'll probably end up buying the Super Deluxe Edition. For 6 CD's, 4 DVD's and a book, about 85€ doesn't seem that much (especially since I haven't got a physical copy of Achtung Baby yet...)

Don't forget the sticker sheet! :wink:

It seems indeed that that's the only difference. (However, if you order from Universal, you also get a lithograph with it.)
So I'll probably end up buying the Super Deluxe Edition. For 6 CD's, 4 DVD's and a book, about 85€ doesn't seem that much (especially since I haven't got a physical copy of Achtung Baby yet...)

And the pins - don't forget those uber-expensive pins. :|

The packaging seems a lot cooler too but I agree that the difference is way too big.

canedge said:
There are a number of problems with the collectable items. No one is going to deny that it is expensive and will give your heart a shock when you see it. But the reason amazon and U2 are charging so much is that it will sell.

canedge

But does U2 really have anything to do with the pricing or is that more their label that determines what something should sell for? I am sure that U2 could have input if they wanted but do they?

Perhaps it was pitched like "if your fans want a remastered version of the album, they can get it at a reasonable price. If your fans want the remastered album plus a boat load of other things, we will set up a different price package"

I would also like to think that if U2 had more input into these things, one of the 4 of them would have said "wait, are we really putting a song that is available on a 1993 album on our "Dules" fan club CD"?

And the pins - don't forget those uber-expensive pins. :|

There are pins with it too? Oh my, I just might reconsider buying the Uber Deluxe box :huh:

Apart from the Sydney DVD, I think the Super Deluxe Box is great. I don't really care if it's a remaster or not since I haven't got the original version yet, but it would be nice if an official source gave us a clear answer to stop the confusion...

For me it's not about how much the Uber set costs...I can afford it. It's about value for the money I'm spending, and I don't think either the Uber or Super Deluxe set is a value for what we're getting. In any event, U2's not counting on a selling a lot of those Uber sets. They are luxury item created essentially for marketing and exist primarily to create perceived value to the Super Deluxe set.

yes that's my view as well

The standard 2 disc version comes with a bunch of remixes that I don't really care about- the deluxe version has yet more remixes plus the cd of alternate versions of AB plus Zooropa and the dvd's- so it's a question of what I think I'll get most out of- I'm definitely not getting the uber version though

yes that's my view as well

The standard 2 disc version comes with a bunch of remixes that I don't really care about- the deluxe version has yet more remixes plus the cd of alternate versions of AB plus Zooropa and the dvd's- so it's a question of what I think I'll get most out of- I'm definitely not getting the uber version though

Actually as far as I can see the second disc of the 2-disc edition only comes with 3 remixes (of songs from the studio records), the rest are technically unreleased or b-sides (most of which I already have):

01. Lady with the spinning head (UV1)
02. Blow Your House – Analogue Mix Bono Edit 190711
03. Salome
04. Even Better Than the Real Thing (Single)
05. Satelite of love
06. Wild Horses (Temple Bar Remix)
07. Heaven And Hell – In Truth Mix 211711
08. Oh Berlin – Analogue Mix 1 190711 (needs an edit)
09. Near the Island (instr) Night train from Rostock.
10. Down All The Days (Vsn 1) [CD#4/07] (needs edits)
11. Paint it black
12. Fortunate Son
13. Alex Descends into Hell for a bottle of Milk/Korova
14. Where did it all go wrong
15. Everybody loves a winner edit between take 2+3
16. Real Thing (Fish out of water mix)

Granted, most of these songs have been released in various places before, but at least it's not a CD solely of remixes.

I think one thing people often overlook in these collector sets are the books. If you buy a nice 92 page coffee table book full of artwork, you might spend $100 or more.

$100 for a 92 page coffee table book? I work in a bookstore and I can tell you that the only coffee table books that are around that price are a hell of a lot more than 92 pages.

Fuck, Beatles Anthology, and U2's knock off, the Chili's knock off are all well under that price. The AB book might go for $40 if sold separately, but that's unlikely.

01. Lady with the spinning head (UV1)
02. Blow Your House – Analogue Mix Bono Edit 190711
03. Salome
04. Even Better Than the Real Thing (Single)
05. Satelite of love
06. Wild Horses (Temple Bar Remix)
07. Heaven And Hell – In Truth Mix 211711
08. Oh Berlin – Analogue Mix 1 190711 (needs an edit)
09. Near the Island (instr) Night train from Rostock.
10. Down All The Days (Vsn 1) [CD#4/07] (needs edits)
11. Paint it black
12. Fortunate Son
13. Alex Descends into Hell for a bottle of Milk/Korova
14. Where did it all go wrong
15. Everybody loves a winner edit between take 2+3
16. Real Thing (Fish out of water mix)

This is the tracklist of disc 2 posted on amazon.ca

Disc: 2
1. Lady With The Spinning Head (UV1)
2. Blow Your House (Analogue Mix Bono Edit)
3. Salome
4. Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova
5. Wild Horses (Temple Bar Remix)
6. Paint It Black
7. Night And Day (Steel String Remix)
8. Even Better Than The Real Thing (Perfecto Mix)
9. Fortunate Son
10. Satellite Of love
11. Where Did It All Go Wrong?

Its actually sad that they didn't dig deeper into the vaults for more Achtung rarities. There is a seven disc bootleg series out there.

Sorry but this whole thing reeks of cash grab - especially if the disc is not (suitably) remastered.

All of these different packages (with inflated prices) and VERY little in the way of new material.

Apart from the documentary (which will probably be outstanding and is a welcome addition) and a few new songs (which will likely be subpar pseudo b-sides cleaned up a little)...there is very little "meat" here.

This was an opportunity to release some more of the rarities from those sessions. What about revisiting some of those outtakes /songs from that we know exist from the sessions - 7 discs worth - and finish them (similar to Wave of Sorrow)?

Most importantly (for me anyway), where is the new concert DVD? Dublin 93 was easily one of the most magical and superb concerts they have ever played (and includes the best live version of "Stay.") If it is known that all of the Zoo shows were recorded, how hard would it have been to release Dublin or something else new?

THOSE things are the only things that would have justified these high-end prices.

Otherwise it is just flash and a cash grab.

Dig any deeper and all they'll find is songs with Edge jamming on riffs and Bono shouting chord changes. Unless you guys want that.

Dig any deeper and all they'll find is songs with Edge jamming on riffs and Bono shouting chord changes. Unless you guys want that.

Listen to the Salome / Outtakes boots and you will see that this is not true. Edge said that it was "gobbledy gook" but there is actually a lot there...including riffs (since when are they a trivial thing anyway?)

Oh, and, I also hope that the most expensive sets are numbered (and that that number does not go over 1000)...otherwise their future value / collectability is in question.

Bottom line is that the band needs to be more involved in these projects to ensure that the customer is getting some real value...especially when it is surrounding a re-release of arguably (to me actually it is almost inarguable) their greatest album.

Listen to the Salome / Outtakes boots and you will see that this is not true. Edge said that it was "gobbledy gook" but there is actually a lot there...

Yeah, there is a lot... a lot of Salome, one of their worst songs! I like the version that is clearly the backing track for Zoo Station, though, just because it's cool.

Overall, it's a pretty bad collection of demos, especially compared to the demos of other bands. It's cool to have (there is about 50 minutes of decent stuff) but nothing anyone should pay money for.

While I am excited about the finished demos and Baby versions, based on the quality of the previous finished songs I am not expecting anything I want to hear more than a few times.

My rational mind spits on this cash grab, but the fanboy who used to believe in Santa is really excited.

I mostly agree with that. Could there be more "value" included? Yeah. I'm excited for some of what's included, disappointed in other pieces.

Do I want to have the Salome outtakes and demos included? Hell, no. I can't even make it through the short version of the collection.

Am I still excited overall? Yeah.

Yeah, there is a lot... a lot of Salome, one of their worst songs! I like the version that is clearly the backing track for Zoo Station, though, just because it's cool.

Overall, it's a pretty bad collection of demos, especially compared to the demos of other bands. It's cool to have (there is about 50 minutes of decent stuff) but nothing anyone should pay money for.

While I am excited about the finished demos and Baby versions, based on the quality of the previous finished songs I am not expecting anything I want to hear more than a few times.

My rational mind spits on this cash grab, but the fanboy who used to believe in Santa is really excited.

Yea there is a lot of nonsense...but also a lot of starting points and riffs with potential IMO.

This was an opportunity to release some more of the rarities from those sessions. What about revisiting some of those outtakes /songs from that we know exist from the sessions - 7 discs worth - and finish them (similar to Wave of Sorrow)?

I am not sure that can happen. The same reason they probably ditched them back then is the same reason now. Maybe just can't get a chord change or lift or sound.

Angels was just horrible. Wave of Sorrow I really enjoyed.

I am not sure that can happen. The same reason they probably ditched them back then is the same reason now. Maybe just can't get a chord change or lift or sound.

Angels was just horrible. Wave of Sorrow I really enjoyed.

Wave of Sorrow sounded like Pinback!

Anyone familiar with them?

Its actually sad that they didn't dig deeper into the vaults for more Achtung rarities. There is a seven disc bootleg series out there.

i don't know. we get an entire disk of "Baby" versions of each song, as well as 5 unreleased on another disk (Heaven And Hell is a huge plus).

not sure exactly what the "Baby" version will sound like, but i'm thinking they will be from the sessions you're referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom