Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part V/Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I burn them to DVD, and I was never able to play the ones marked PAL, so I stopped downloading them. :shrug:

Obviously, I don't understand the technical mumbo-jumbo about the regions and coding and whatever, but in any case, I'd needed a new DVD player anyway at the time, and I've never had any issues with this, so yay for me. :)

Yeah, older DVD players certainly couldn't play PAL discs. And I'm sure even today there may be some sold that don't. It shouldn't be a probable for most people now, but for some obviously it's an issue and Universal should set it right for whoever wants a replacement disc.

Yeah, older DVD players certainly couldn't play PAL discs.

Ah, okay. Yeah, I've had this new one for 5-6 years, and the one before that I'd had for .... jeez, I don't know. A long time! That explains it.

I was starting to wonder how I'd never heard that PAL DVDs should play fine. Thanks.

I have a PAL DVD that plays fine in one TV but will play weird in the other TV (plays black and white). I use the same DVD player on both TV. Always thought it was because of the different TV...

Inmy country we use the weird PAL-M system hehe

Many TV players can also convert PAL to NTSC (and vice versa) automatically. It just detects what kind of signal its getting and does the conversion on the fly....obviously some cant, but most have a setting where you can manually switch between PAL and NTSC.

Nick66 said:
Many TV players can also convert PAL to NTSC (and vice versa) automatically. It just detects what kind of signal its getting and does the conversion on the fly....obviously some cant, but most have a setting where you can manually switch between PAL and NTSC.

I will check this out. Maybe that's it. Thanks for the info.

Wow. That's incredibly messed up! How did they not anticipate on this by not accepting preorders when they got to their max capacity?? This is going to be a huge disappointment!

Yeah I just hope this turn out better for other people, as judging by this board I'm not the only one effected.

Overall I'll be happy if my SuperDeluxe shows up on Friday

Don't count on just walking into a store and getting the Uber Box.

My boyfriend went to all HMV's in Central London and they didn't even have the Super Deluxe, and of course also not the Uber Deluxe. When he asked they said they wouldn't get them and to just get them on the Internet. :|

There is so much misinformation in this thread about region coding and standards it's not even funny.

Instead of pretending to know everything, based on owning 3 players (SO EVERY PLAYER MUST BE ABLE TO PLAY EVERYTHING), how about people check their OWN players to see if they can play PAL/NTSC...

Most PAL players will play NTSC, however most NTSC players will NOT play PAL discs. I suggest checking videohelp.com for more information.

I have received my super deluxe box and I have received NTSC discs. I live in Europe...
:doh:

Someone made a misake, I guess :crack:

welcome � Achtung Baby

Here's the download link for the code in the Uber version. Download a "High quality" version of the album! :drool:

Thanks....

I spoke to amazon.ca customer service. My shipping is now free and they gave me a $20 promotion towards my next purchase. I told them that I can be patient, but my real concern is that it could get eventually canceled altogether. They're forwarding my correspondence to management.

My only minor complaint is using the same vocal track on One that was used on the album. There is has got to be a different take of it they could have used. Otherwise it is a very cool listen, glad the band gave us access to material like this. :up:

Maybe they chose the final vocal take from this version as they were 100% satisfied with it and carried on improving the rest of the music over time.

After listening to the B-Sides for some cycles, I have to say that I am pretty surprised about that gem called "Oh berlin" and by Down all the days. And I was pretty disappointed by the boring instrumental and especially by the "final" Blow Your House Down. I liked the roaring, frenzy guitars of the Hansa Demos much more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21_wcOL7Vmk&feature=related

Even the boombox version that was played 1987 or 1988 (R&H outtake) sounded more interesting: U2 Rattle&Hum Outtake - Beach Hut Jam 1/3 - YouTube

Heaven and Hell is quite OK-ish, but certainly not much better than what they had after Hansa.

And in a 92 page book they should have found space to squeeze in the Zooropa lyrics and at least the few pcitures from inside the original Achtung Baby CD booklet. Now I have hundreds of pictures except for those originally chosen for Achtung Baby which makes little sense to me.

As for the "general DVD debate" cluttering this topic I want to add that I got NTSC discs here in central europe, but got NTSC discs for The Joshua Tree and the Unforgettable fire as well. So I am actually surprised that PAL discs seem to be in existence which is rather uncommon for region free, worldwide releases.

I have received my super deluxe box and I have received NTSC discs. I live in Europe...
:doh:

Someone made a misake, I guess :crack:

I'm in Europe as well, and apparently got an NTSC disc in my Super Deluxe. It's not a big deal for me though, my PAL player plays NTSC just fine, and I've already go the Syndey DVD. Besides, once I rip these CD's I'm giving the set to my cousin.

Ironically, my friend in Colorado got the PAL one, but he says it plays normally in his NTSC DVD player.

Still, they've really screwed this up, and Universal should swap out the discs for anyone who asks.

There is so much misinformation in this thread about region coding and standards it's not even funny.

Instead of pretending to know everything, based on owning 3 players (SO EVERY PLAYER MUST BE ABLE TO PLAY EVERYTHING), how about people check their OWN players to see if they can play PAL/NTSC...

Most PAL players will play NTSC, however most NTSC players will NOT play PAL discs. I suggest checking videohelp.com for more information.

It seems you're referring to my attempt to be helpful. Not sure at what point I pretended to know everything. I have however worked in the industry and found this work around works every time I have tried it, and I know other people who have done it too. None of them have ever had an issue. As I said before, if anyone finds it does NOT work for them, let me know.

I love this board, but sometimes people are so belligerent!

Re: the "tweaked" sound on AB... it sounds great! I know this didn't go through the same FULL REMASTER that the other albums did, but there is a notable difference, especially in Zoo Station, Mysterious Ways, TTTYAATW, etc. I haven't listened to Zooropa yet, but AB definitely seems to have benefited from this tweaking/volume adjustment.

Speaking of which, the previous reissues had a line in the liner notes "Remastering overseen by the Edge." The AB liner notes say "Mastering overseen by the Edge." Ha! If AB has been newly "mastered" by the Edge, isn't it, by definition, a REmaster?

Ok, enough of this. It's almost like U2 is taking the piss with us at this point.

Still, they've really screwed this up, and Universal should swap out the discs for anyone who asks.

anyone know about how to ask Universal for a swap? I can't find any contact info on them...other than just the general Universal music site...

Perhaps the first step is contacting the company you ordered with. Amazon/HMV/Universal. Explain them the problem and see what happens. Perhaps they can contact universal about it.

:lol: I can't believe they screwed up something so simple.

anyone know about how to ask Universal for a swap? I can't find any contact info on them...other than just the general Universal music site...

Typically, when there's a screw up like this on a DVD, it's the responsibility of the studio putting out the DVD to issue replacements. The problem with going to Amazon or any other retailer is that it's part of a huge box set, not a stand alone disc. That makes just swapping it out more problematic.

I'd just write to Universal customer service. I wrote them a couple months ago asking if the AB was remastered and they answered w/in 24 hours (telling me it wasn't). I actually think they are pretty responsive.

Here's the email addy I used, but it's a UK one. I'm sure there's a contact form on their US site somewhere.

support@universal-music.co.uk

The lithographs included in the Super Deluxe....are beautiful. I'm framing a couple and hanging them up next to my U2 shrine. Just starting it today. It's gonna be kind of all...Achtung Baby...until I can get my hands on some other U2 items.

Thanks, Nick66

I contacted Amazon, but it's likely they'll just want to swap the sets, and I'm not giving this back :)

Is there a reason why the B-Sides/Unreleased disc in the 2-disc set is different from the super/uber??

The lithographs included in the Super Deluxe....are beautiful. I'm framing a couple and hanging them up next to my U2 shrine. Just starting it today. It's gonna be kind of all...Achtung Baby...until I can get my hands on some other U2 items.

Wait what? The art prints are actually lithographs? :ohmy: Sweet!

Never.

Kindergarten was a trip - loved hearing it, whether it was a song that was startling in its difference, or had just enough tweaks to make you go :hmm:

Listened to just the "new" tracks on the B-sides disc so far. Only really liked Oh Berlin and Down All the Days. The others, I'm happy to have, but I don't think any are songs I'll listen to a ton.

Never.

Kindergarten was a trip - loved hearing it, whether it was a song that was startling in its difference, or had just enough tweaks to make you go :hmm:

Listened to just the "new" tracks on the B-sides disc so far. Only really likust ed Oh Berlin and Down All the Days. The others, I'm happy to have, but I don't think any are songs I'll listen to a ton.

Yeah...when you strip it all down, for the hard core U2 fan the kindergarten disc is really the jewel here. 6 CD's sound impressive, but at the end of the day only one of the discs is really anything "new". It's pretty packaging, sure, but I think this release is disappointment and missed opportunity overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom