Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part III/ three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
129065706093421061.jpg

fanfuckingtastic

You're a rarity...

And I didn't say it was unthinkable, BUT historically these types of DVD sales are very small and focus on niche markets. So basically this and the deluxe package are targeted towards the same exact market, so don't be suprised if you don't see it sold separately it just doesn't make a lot of marketing sense.

Smarter business says they release it to Showtime and a few OnDemand type markets.

BVS....Of course it will be sold separately. Come on man, this is not just some "making of" promotional disc and you don't start entering films for competition at festivals that are merely promotional pieces. The last two films that opened TIFF have gone on to win Oscars. Gugemheim is a serious Academy Award winning film maker and you can bet there will be a campaign to have this nominated for best doc in the Oscars (not that it has much chance of winning).

And I think there's a market for it, niche as it may be. Not everyone is going to want to spend well north of 100.00 for one of the Deluxe Editions of AB just to get this film. Including me. I'm not short of cash, but frankly there's not much in those deluxe editions I either don't have or don't want. But I DO want this film. And if a doc about Rush gets a DVD/Blu-Ray release and can sell well, then I think the U2 thing is pretty much a no-brainer.

Then there's this:

Post-TIFF, From the Sky Down will debut on Showtime in the U.S. on Oct. 29 and will be included on the 20th anniversary re-release of Achtung Baby slated for Nov. 1 before it gets its own Blu-ray/DVD release

Now, if only someone asks Bono and the Edge about the remaster thing today...

okay well that wraps up THAT nicely. glad someone was willing to argue that further than i was :wink:

BVS....Of course it will be sold separately. Come on man, this is not just some "making of" promotional disc and you don't start entering films for competition at festivals that are merely promotional pieces. The last two films that opened TIFF have gone on to win Oscars. Gugemheim is a serious Academy Award winning film maker and you can bet there will be a campaign to have this nominated for best doc in the Oscars (not that it has much chance of winning).

And I think there's a market for it, niche as it may be. Not everyone is going to want to spend well north of 100.00 for one of the Deluxe Editions of AB just to get this film. Including me. I'm not short of cash, but frankly there's not much in those deluxe editions I either don't have or don't want. But I DO want this film. And if a doc about Rush gets a DVD/Blu-Ray release and can sell well, then I think the U2 thing is pretty much a no-brainer.

Then there's this:

Now, if only someone asks Bono and the Edge about the remaster thing today...

The irony of you using a Toronto Sun piece as evidence is not lost on anyone... Was Amazon proof that it will be remastered?

But like I said, I didn't say it was impossible just didn't seem like there was enough of an audience. It's 2011 DVD sales are way down, rock docs never sold well to begin with, and it's part of a package that is already aimed at that audience that would buy it.

Did Rush also put theirs in a boxset?

The irony of you using a Toronto Sun piece as evidence is not lost on anyone... Was Amazon proof that it will be remastered?

But like I said, I didn't say it was impossible just didn't seem like there was enough of an audience. It's 2011 DVD sales are way down, rock docs never sold well to begin with, and it's part of a package that is already aimed at that audience that would buy it.

Did Rush also put theirs in a boxset?

Um, no it's not ironic. I'm able to judge all the evidence on any particular issue on its merits. There's no hard and fast rule that if something appears in a newspaper it's true...or false. Some sources are given more or less weight based on their credibility. You have to evaluate things on the totality of all the information. I'm not relying on any one piece of information in my conclusion here (which is why put the Sun piece last in my post) any more than I relied on any one piece of information in my conclusion about the remaster. And I never said the Sun article was definitive "proof" of anything. I merely offered it as a piece of information to support the conclusion I had made. And as new information comes in, you reevaluate your conclusions.

It's a basic cognitive skill in reasoned based thinking.

As far as the issue of this DVD, or the remaster, or anything else, you're of course free to believe whatever you wish. You can believe a shiny Blu-Ray of the film along with a remastered Achtung Baby will be included in every specially marked box of Lucky Charms if you'd like.

Sounds to me like she's saying she wants to buy the box set, and that she owns a DVD player (and not a Blu-ray).

:up: Bingo.

If it was a Blu-ray, it would have been 2 discs of the boxset completely useless bullshit for me. So it might've been tempting to go for a cheaper option and download the additional shit. Because I hate paying for stuff I'm never going to use.

I'm no Jack White fan, but I'll listen to ANYONE cover Love is Blindess. Probably my favorite U2 song, if not in my top 5 of any artist. The Delvins, Six Pence, and Leo Kysela covers are great, the others not so much.

On the topic of the actual box, as we await 100% final track listing (unlikely changed from Universal leak, but we can hope), I'd like to point out what I feel are the biggest omissions and things on my mind about the track listing:

1) Stay (Soundtrack version) and Stay (The Underdog mix) missing is criminal. If you're going to include Zooropa in this set along with Numb & Lemon remixes, it seems crazy to not include two GREAT versions of the one of the best songs form that era (or Slow Dancing!). I hope this lends weight to maybe Zooropa being given in it's own 20th anniversary 2-disc release in 2013, since there's at LEAST a dozen plus tracks from the Zooropa singles not on the Achtung box. And I say bring it on. To have Zooropa (and it's artwork!) in one of those cool cardboard sets would be a dream come true.

2) We don't know yet if Backmask/Lauging in the Face of Love is going to appear as one of the other four new tracks (it's pretty clear what Heaven & Hell and Blow Your House are...). I think it will be brilliant if this gem is reborn retitled. Unite our hope people, we can make it so!

3) I wonder if the six new tunes and Real Thing (Fish Out of Water) will have Bono 2011 vocals. I would prefer not, but as weird as his present voice on past production is on songs like Angels Tied, Disappearing Act, and Wave of Sorrow, I actually I really like those at the same time too. So I'm torn.

4) I'm really psyched to hear the "baby" disc of demos. I think we all will have already heard 50% of this stuff from the Complete Hans Ton boots, but some songs weren't in those boots, and we'll hear for the first time in demo form: One, So Cruel, and Love is Blindess are the three I can't think of on the boots. I wonder if the "baby" Arms Around the World will be the instrumental "Going Down South" or the acoustic "boom box with Lanois" demo or something new? I think this be really great.

5) I love about 2/3 of U2 remixes, and I can't believe the Lemonade and Bad Yard Club mix/edit of Lemon didn't make the cut. I think those two (especially Lemonade) are the two best remixes of Lemon. The Lemon (Perfecto) has never done much for me. Momo's Reprise is dark and creepy and cool though. Hopefully Zooropa disc 2, see above.

2) We don't know yet if Backmask/Lauging in the Face of Love is going to appear as one of the other four new tracks (it's pretty clear what Heaven & Hell and Blow Your House are...). I think it will be brilliant if this gem is reborn retitled. Unite our hope people, we can make it so!

3) I wonder if the six new tunes and Real Thing (Fish Out of Water) will have Bono 2011 vocals. I would prefer not, but as weird as his present voice on past production is on songs like Angels Tied, Disappearing Act, and Wave of Sorrow, I actually I really like those at the same time too. So I'm torn.

4) I'm really psyched to hear the "baby" disc of demos. I think we all will have already heard 50% of this stuff from the Complete Hans Ton boots, but some songs weren't in those boots, and we'll hear for the first time in demo form: One, So Cruel, and Love is Blindess are the three I can't think of on the boots. I wonder if the "baby" Arms Around the World will be the instrumental "Going Down South" or the acoustic "boom box with Lanois" demo or something new? I think this be really great.

2) I would imagine that this could be close to the baby version of 'so cruel'
3) honestly, i hope no new vocals. I will take the bongelese for the unreleased material.
4. IMO, I think that the baby versions will be much further along than the Salome outtakes. IMO, the outtakes are extremely raw and very early versions. i also enjoy the working title 'montgomery's visit' over 'going down south'....i laugh everytime.

We still don't know.

Now that the documentary has been criticized a lot by media I think the lads should hurry up, remaster everything (in a good way, of course!) and add a decent tracklist of extras and DVDs content

That 'ace' they thought they had is an epic fail.
They might get Down

Now that the documentary has been criticized a lot by media I think the lads should hurry up, remaster everything (in a good way, of course!) and add a decent tracklist of extras and DVDs content

That 'ace' they thought they had is an epic fail.
They might get Down

oh well :shrug:

to early to call it an epic fail IMO, but if you trust the media then they just saved you some nice cash. :up:

Only Mysterious Ways, One and Love is Blindness are being discussed in the film?

Say what?

Only Mysterious Ways, One and Love is Blindness are being discussed in the film?

Say what?

Maybe they're performing it instead? A-la Edge performing Love Is Blindness solo, or something similar? Would expect them to talk a little bit about each song on the album. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom