Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part III/ three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought of another thing today.

That covers disc is said to be released in november, as is the remaster(pardon, reISSUE). We have one disc yet unspoken of in the boxsets. The fourth DVD disc. :uhoh: You don't think they'd do cover videos right?

Well, that would be better than it being the Achtung Baby (baby) disc. The demos and unreleased songs are the primary reason I will be buying this set. So if the Achtung demos are gone, its almost not worth it to me. (although, knowing the fan in me I will still buy it, just probably not right away and probably not with as much excitement).

Well, that would be better than it being the Achtung Baby (baby) disc. The demos and unreleased songs are the primary reason I will be buying this set. So if the Achtung demos are gone, its almost not worth it to me. (although, knowing the fan in me I will still buy it, just probably not right away and probably not with as much excitement).

Yeah I do still expect the Baby disc to be demos, as that's what U2.com said would be in the boxset. And besides it's the main reason I want this boxset, if it turns out to be a disc of shitty covers, I'm handing in my fan card. :grumpy:

I hope it's a demo disc, and that the fourth dvd turns out to be awesome shit. Cause I really, really, really don't give a damn about those covers. I want U2.

canedge has already suggested what I came in to say, about maybe Mojo magazine putting out the Achtung Baby cover album as a freebie, they do it a lot at the moment. Seems to be a good trend they've got going in the last few years.

Their current issue (with a big Pink Floyd feature focusing on their HUGE re-issue campaign) has cover albums of both Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here squeezed onto one disc and (like their covers album of Let It Be) there's also a vinyl version [Dark Side only] available in selected shops. So if it DOES turn out to be for a magazine and it is indeed Mojo, keep your eyes peeled for any word of an LP copy of it I guess! that could be good :)

and if it's for a magazine but NOT Mojo, then it's bound to be Q [in the uk at least], i mean they're pretty far up U2's backside aren't they? :wink: the review for NLOTH was just a BIT over the top.

Maybe the 4th dvd disc is something interactive they wanted to do on the zoo tv tour.But then updated with better computer graphics.
welcome-3.jpg

yeah i do still expect the baby disc to be demos, as that's what u2.com said would be in the boxset. And besides it's the main reason i want this boxset, if it turns out to be a disc of shitty covers, i'm handing in my fan card. :grumpy:

I hope it's a demo disc, and that the fourth dvd turns out to be awesome shit. Cause i really, really, really don't give a damn about those covers. I want u2.

+1

Using the CD-I system and custom-made discs from Philips Interactive Media of America (PIMA), the band is now able to interact with the video imagery in their on-stage performing environment which consists of dozens of video surfaces -- small screens, large screens and mega screens.
The first of the custom discs is "Welcome to ZOO T.V." With this disc, lead singer Bono can use the thumbstick CD-I controller to click on huge images of himself, which instantly deliver one of a vast range of randomly chosen messages to the stadium audience. If a particular message doesn't suit the mood, Bono can keep clicking until he finds one that does. The video messages include custom greetings for each city on the ZOO T.V. tour.
"Beat Box," the second CD-I disc that the band is using, is a favorite of U2's techno-guitarist The Edge. With this disc, the audience can watch The Edge use this easy-to-use rhythm machine disc to set up a variety of solid drum beats. Using a thumbstick controller (Edge favors the jumbo-sized kiddy Roller Controller), he selects rhythms and sounds appropriate for the following song.
The bank of custom sounds on the disc include an extensive range of drums, cymbals, vocal samples, farm animal noises and other musical necessities.
With the addition of CD-I, ZOO T.V. becomes even more flexible, even more spontaneous, and U2's concerts take yet another leap away from being the traditional pre-programmed video show.
According to Phil Van Allen, PIMA senior producer and designer of the discs, "The 'Beat Box' and 'Welcome to ZOO T.V.' discs give the band members direct control of their video. They interact with the video walls and improvise a unique experience for every concert. CD-I adds another off-the-wall element to the evolving ZOO T.V. concert tour."
Peter Williams, ZOO T.V.'s designer said, "U2 wants to work a lot more with interactive video. We're just scratching the surface at the moment and will keep dreaming up new uses for CD-I. Some of them may be pretty strange, but if you give this kind of technology to people like U2, what do you expect?"
In addition to their work with U2, PIMA has developed an array of more than 78 titles for the consumer CD-I System. CD-I titles can be experienced only on the Philips CD-I "Imagination Machine," which is currently available at consumer electronics retailers, specialty stores and department stores. To find the dealer nearest them, consumers can call Philips' toll-free dealer locator number, 800-223-7772.
The system, $699 suggested retail, includes a Philips CDI910 player with a "thumbstick" controller.
PIMA is a wholly owned subsidiary of Philips Electronics N.V. PIMA owns and operates several CD-I production studios in the United States.
-0- 11/2/92

:|

I had a Phillips CD-I......:|

I don't remember my Dad paying $700 for it though. I was about $200-$300 just like other game consoles in the early 90's. I remember in a ZooTV CD I had (Outside Broadcast, lost it :angry:) Bono was talking about the technologies and he stated CD-I. And remembering why do they have a CD-I??

It was a pretty cheap system.....sold at Dillards of all places.

Just found this:
http://www.philvanallen.com/news/u2-zootv-interactive-stage-project/

Depeche Mode were recently approached by the U2 camp to contribute a track to an upcoming U2 covers collection, supposedly accompanying a re-issue of “Achtung Baby”. And so it was that Depeche Mode ended up recorded their version of U2′s “So Cruel”. The track, recorded in Santa Barbara and New York is produced by Depeche Mode’s very own Martin Gore, with lead vocals by Dave Gahan. Sie Medway Smith was on hand with engineering and mixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom