Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lazarus said:

Hyperbole much? It may be a combination of those songs, but it's not as good as any of them.

It's all down to opinion. This isn't a rash thing I've just made up after hearing the song once. I've been listening to this song since last summer. I even said in the "your fave 10 rem songs thread" that the list could change after hearing the new album. That was mainly in relation to Living Well's. The reason I didn't put it in the top 10 was because I thought they'd fuck it up in the studio. Instead, they've made it ten times better.

lazarus said:
The lead three are all fairly successful rockers, but I wouldn't exactly put them into any kind of hall of fame. Consider the 1-2-3 punches of Fables, Lifes Rich Pageant and Document and then tell me you're still impresseed.

The one two three punch on Fables?...Feeling gravitys pull.. most over rated REM song. apart from the opening riff, it's just dull. And can you call maps and legends a punch?
Document, yeah that has a great one two three punch. I think Accelerate matches it though.
And Lifes Rich Pageant. Again, can you call Fall On Me a punch?

Again though,all down to opinion.

Last edited:
A song doesn't have to be fast and hard to pack a punch! Fall on Me and Maps & Legends are classics. Personally, I find three upbeat tracks in a row a bit tiring, and like to hear something downtempo in the 3 slot.

Also, you're right, it is all down to opinion. But there's a little thing called "consensus" that I like to consider, and we'll see how many people agree with you that Living Well is the best R.E.M. song of all time.

I'm curious to hear your critique of the rest of the album, though if you're so over the moon about the first three songs I can only imagine...

what's wrong with liking music alot and getting excited by it?

lazarus said:
A song doesn't have to be fast and hard to pack a punch! Fall on Me and Maps & Legends are classics. Personally, I find three upbeat tracks in a row a bit tiring, and like to hear something downtempo in the 3 slot.

Also, you're right, it is all down to opinion. But there's a little thing called "consensus" that I like to consider, and we'll see how many people agree with you that Living Well is the best R.E.M. song of all time.

I'm curious to hear your critique of the rest of the album, though if you're so over the moon about the first three songs I can only imagine...

For me, when someone says a 1-2-3 punch, it means a fast paced "punch". Misunderstanding. Still doesn't change the fact that Accelerate has one of the best 1-2-3 punches going for it (in MY opinion).

The comment on concensus is bullshit. You ask everyone on this site what their favourite REM song is and pretty much everyone will have a different answer. Just because everyone doesn't agree that These Days for instance is REM's best song doesn't make it a bad song or take anything away from it. Living Well's is my favourite. Don't particularly care if its not everyone elses. People aren't gonna agree on something like that with a band lasting nearly 30 years.

And because I like the first 3 songs your expecting me to come out with a "Oh its the greatest album ever comment"? No. It's a good album. But it is definitely flawed.
The first 3 songs are great openers. Hollow Man, while it has a great chorus is a bit all over the place. Michael's vocals are also a bit too craggy for me.(even though I'm guessing that's what he was going for. Would have been easy for him to clear his thorat beforehand.)
Houston is too short.
Accelerate adds a lot from the Dublin version but I miss the stop start thing they did in the Olympia. They only do it once in the album version and it's barely noticable.
Sing for the Submarine needs a few listens. First time I heard it I was mainly confused. Didn't know what to make of it. Defintely growing on me though.

That's my take on it. It's better than any of the last 3. Is it there with New Adventures, Document, Pageant? Too early to even think about that. A good album where the guys seem to be at least having fun for the first time in 12 years. Again though. all just my opinion!

Well I appreciate your balanced take on it. I probably sounded more harsh than I meant to, I don't know how much you can really expect from an album that short, and I'm really quite relieved that they've left the retirement community they've been living in all decade.

I'm not sure if I like it better than Up, which really could have lost 2-3 tracks. I guess I'd rather have too much than too little. All I know is, if U2 pulled this kind of thing I'd be like "THAT'S IT?!" Of course, they're all about the grand gesture, even with something like ATYCLB.

Bloody leaks, we should all be lining up outside in the pouring rain at our local record store at midnight on March 31, not sitting hunched over computers listening to an album that isn't physically tangible....where's the fun in that?

I haven't caved yet....

intedomine said:
Bloody leaks, we should all be lining up outside in the pouring rain at our local record store at midnight on March 31, not sitting hunched over computers listening to an album that isn't physically tangible....where's the fun in that?

A lot more fun than getting pneumonia.

intedomine said:

I haven't caved yet....

I don't find standing around at midnight in potentially bad weather (April 1st in Seattle? Not likely good weather.) to be much fun. I'm too old for that shit. :wink:

Besides, I don't think any shops around here still do the midnight release thing anymore.

The closest they got was opening up on a holiday (New Year's Day) because "In Rainbows" hit the shelves.

I'll still be buying this the day it comes out, but in daylight and after work. Sue me.

LemonMacPhisto said:
As my friend Two Boxes would say, "Done that, been there."

Your friend "Two Boxes"?! What are you doing, hanging out down by the railyards?

3429441.jpg

Just trampin' on the road with ol' Two Boxes!

corianderstem said:

I don't find standing around at midnight in potentially bad weather (April 1st in Seattle? Not likely good weather.) to be much fun. I'm too old for that shit. :wink:

Besides, I don't think any shops around here still do the midnight release thing anymore.

The closest they got was opening up on a holiday (New Year's Day) because "In Rainbows" hit the shelves.

I'll still be buying this the day it comes out, but in daylight and after work. Sue me.

Are you going to comment on the album, Cori?

Inquiring, spicy minds want to know.

I haven't actually listened to it yet! I was doing other stuff yesterday afternoon, was out last night, and now it's Sunday morning, and that's mellow music time. :wink:

I'll definitely be checking it out today, though.

On my way to get my morning Americano fix, I heard Supernatural Superserious on the radio, and I have to admit - I liked it better than I have when I previously heard the leaked versions. Maybe it's just the better quality that helped.

Downloaded it yesterday, listened to it once (though I know most of the songs from last year's concerts).

First impressions: Sounds like late 80s R.E.M. Fun and energetic. The song Accelerate really struck me on first listen. Album is short -- why so damn short? Anyway, I think I'm gonna like this one a LOT.

Okay! First listen:

I like it. I'm a little puzzled by its short length. I appreciate their economy, since too many albums are too long. But some of the songs could have used a little more.

The only one I didn't care for so much upon first listen is the Submarine one.

What I liked most, at first listen: Living Well ..., Houston, Mr. Richard, Horse to Water. I even liked I'm Gonna DJ, which was a pleasant surprise - I hadn't liked it that much live, but I like it here.

I'm looking forward to spending much more time with it.

corianderstem said:
I'm a little puzzled by its short length. I appreciate their economy, since too many albums are too long. But some of the songs could have used a little more.

A friend of mine had this playing in his car today. An enjoyable album, very welcoming after the last few albums.

But I agree, the length is just killing me. I admit I do like long albums, but some of the songs just deserved more, I mean we listened to the whole thing just on our short trip downtown...

I'm liking it a lot, and despite the fact that I love all its energy, Until the Day is Done has really roped me in the most.

This is indeed a very good record. The people complaining about the short running time can cry me a river; I'd love New Adventures In Hi-Fi if the band had exercised some propriety and kept the album below 45 minutes. Accelerate benefits greatly from not being completely swamped with material, good or bad.

The title track is probably my favorite; it really does remind me of classic 80's REM.

u2popmofo said:
Who else is going to wait until it's released in stores to hear it?

I am because I can't seem to find it. I don't understand why I can't but I can't. Oh well.

LemonMelon said:

The people complaining about the short running time can cry me a river;

cry_me_a_river.jpg

LemonMelon said:

I'd love New Adventures In Hi-Fi if the band had exercised some propriety and kept the album below 45 minutes. Accelerate benefits greatly from not being completely swamped with material, good or bad.

New Adventures does suffer a little as an album, but most of that comes from the selection of songs not length. It isn't very cohesive, there are some tracks that feel like they are left over from Monster, some going a new direction, etc... But if they wanted to take off 'Departure' and 'Zither' to make it shorter, I'd be find with that...

Surely there's a happy medium between a 35-minute record and an 80-minute record.

To lengthen these songs a bit would not automatically mean it's full of bloat. I honestly feel some of them are unnecessarily short. Upon first listen, some of them felt incomplete.

I mean, this isn't a Ramones record. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom