About hamsters...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
Does anyone here have one for a pet? I've always had pets but now I'm in a small apartment so kittys and dogs are out of the question. I want something to keep me company in this empty apartment....

I don't want a bird or fish cause they aren't cuddly. All other forms of small animals frighten me for various reasons (rats, mice, guinea pigs, etc).

But I've been thinking bout a hamster. What I want to know though is are they affectionate pets or more the kind that don't want you to bother them unless you're bearing food? I have no idea about them other than they cute and furry.

Totally random question, I know. :huh:

Last edited:
Where's LivLuv, she's the hamster expert!

I would still not give up on a kitty, they're small!

I have had several hamsters who were very affectionate and sweet. I've had some that were crazy little monsters who didn't want anything to do with a human--unless bearing food.

Male hamsters, in our experience, tend to be better pets--but we did have one incredibly sweet little girl hamster named Belle who allowed herself to be stuffed into Barbie dresses and placed in Barbie chairs.

I have always thought they were lots of fun. :up:

I had russian dwarf hamsters, they were ok once they got used to being handled. They like being in pairs though so I had two that were identical.

My friend had an adorable hamster, it was so affectionate that one day it ran up my jumper and hid near my armpit. I got a bit frightened. :laugh:

I had a hamster called Charlie, he escaped and was never to be seen again. Make sure there are no hamster sized holes in your cage. I had this huge labrynth of a cage made up for him to give him a good quality of life but unfortunately one of the tubes came free. My girlfriend at the time, her only words to me were "and you used to be a civil engineer!!!"

my last hamster Moley (he looked like a Mole...to me) lived for two and a half years and, yeah might be pathetic, i've got an online gravestone for him here.....feel free drop by and pay your respects! :)

if you get a hamster, get one as a baby, and make sure you handle them regularly so that they get used to be being picked up. also clean its cage daily or it gets very smelly as you can imagine. don't have it in your bedroom because they're most active at night and the noise of it going around and around in it's wheel will drive you bonkers.

U2democrat said:
the male ones tend to be very well equiped.

:yikes:

I was thinking of getting a boy and calling it Bono Bear.....:reject:

LivLuv, a hamster expert? :eyebrow:

So far so good it seems....I'm just scared of getting one that'll want nothing to do with me...or one with gigantic balls.

Yeah, I had another friend who had one male and three female hamsters... they got tired of his horniness and chewed his naughty bits up

UnforgettableLemon said:
Yeah, I had another friend who had one male and three female hamsters... they got tired of his horniness and chewed his naughty bits up

Ok, between this and the other thread about the woman ripping off the guys testicle, I am starting to get a little uncomfortable. Can't even read about cute, furry hamsters!

bsp77 said:

Ok, between this and the other thread about the woman ripping off the guys testicle, I am starting to get a little uncomfortable. Can't even read about cute, furry hamsters!

i'd advise you stay away from the Octagon bar then. :wink:

i think my hamster moley (see my post previous page) had big ballocks too...at first i was shocked, then a little jelous that they were that size in relation to his body. they seemed to change size on a regular basis too....:huh:

I have a hamster...Chester Scott. :cute: He's the 10th hamster I've had. I just love having hamsters. They are adorable and so much fun to watch. :heart:

starsgoblue said:
Does anyone here have one for a pet? I've always had pets but now I'm in a small apartment so kittys and dogs are out of the question. I want something to keep me company in this empty apartment....

I don't want a bird or fish cause they aren't cuddly. All other forms of small animals frighten me for various reasons (rats, mice, guinea pigs, etc).

But I've been thinking bout a hamster. What I want to know though is are they affectionate pets or more the kind that don't want you to bother them unless you're bearing food? I have no idea about them other than they cute and furry.

Totally random question, I know. :huh:

I've had hamsters and gerbils in the house. Get a rat. They are much better pets. Our current one is quite a character.

Chester Scott---that's cute! Is he cuddly? I sound like Lenny from Of Mice and Men I know...I just wanna pet the purty hair...:der:

U2Granny, I am terrified of rats. I know they're just overgrown mutant mice but the tails freak me out. I do hear that they're very social creatures though.

starsgoblue said:
Chester Scott---that's cute! Is he cuddly? I sound like Lenny from Of Mice and Men I know...I just wanna pet the purty hair...:der:

U2Granny, I am terrified of rats. I know they're just overgrown mutant mice but the tails freak me out. I do hear that they're very social creatures though.

2d144935.jpg

Re: Re: About hamsters...

u2granny said:

I've had hamsters and gerbils in the house. Get a rat. They are much better pets. Our current one is quite a character.

i'd have to go with that. only ever had hamsters but a friend had a lovely white and gold rat called Rolland....they're far more intelligent, playful and probably far less likely to bite. they're actually really nice animals. i think i'd get a rat next time instead of a hamster.

That one is pretty dang cute, I gotta admit. :cute:

But I'm freaked...there's some nasty scary city rats around here that have scared the crap out of me...like big black Bubonic monster rats.

Yours looks nothing like those, but I just have that fear you know? I know it's all in my head...

starsgoblue said:
That one is pretty dang cute, I gotta admit. :cute:

But I'm freaked...there's some nasty scary city rats around here that have scared the crap out of me...like big black Bubonic monster rats.

Yours looks nothing like those, but I just have that fear you know? I know it's all in my head...

I swore I would never have a rat in the house on purpose but when I was talked into getting one several years ago I was sold.

The late Peekaboo.

7fa44e95.jpg

Have to add that they are preferable to the snake one of my boys had.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:

He's a fat little fluffball! :cute:

The best small critter I ever had though was a mouse. I've also been interested in rats, but I haven't had the space for a setup for a rat. I've done a lot of reading on small critters, and rats are apparently quite the social beings.

if pet rats were renamed "furbits" or something more and more people would be sold on having them. u2granny, your furbit looks just like my friend's late Roland.

Back
Top Bottom