A Solution to Help all those Left Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadRacer

The Fly
This may be my last post, all of you, so read it with heart.

I've been cruising the forum for two weeks now, and I've seen certain problems come again and again. I'm not listing the problems, here. This is about an idea for a solution.

I know many of you are probably happy, the way things are going with this tour. This goes out to all of those who know something's amiss and want to fix it. It's got some food for thought, anyway. It's the sequel to the "4 Things that take our Tickets away" post of earlier. This is not venting in the slightest bit - it's a suggestion for a solution.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Concerts are a luxury not only to be awarded by the rich, or so we hear from U2, themselves, who want to keep ticket prices low for real fans to show up at their concerts. Talk alone doesn't do it, however, and U2 don't do what they have to do, now. Back in 1992 they proved that U2 was a stadium-filling band, demand even outstripping the supply of seats available. What followed was PopMart, a tour that receives a lot of flak on this forum. The Pop album had disappointing sales, but U2 still chose to tour stadia. But a U2 show is more than the album they just dropped, and plenty of fans came out to support them, nonetheless. The tour made plenty of money, but, in the same sense as with the album, it was a disappointment. Still, the fans who attended PopMart and liked it far outnumber those who disliked it. Three years passed and All That You Can't Leave Behind took off. The Elevation tour, however, was all about "returning" to the fans with that (now trite word) "intimacy" of smaller venues, besides being the testing of waters for the world's appetite for U2 after the era of Pop. The tour is considered a grand success, but when you look at the facts, it did not make as much money as PopMart and saw many fans left out, despite the fact that they played more dates. Today, U2 are at the pinnacle of their popularity and still they don't but good market research to use.
Especially with "Atomic Bomb", they don't need to worry about selling out whatever venue they play.
U2 can still play arenas if they want, but doesn't a band that has become so incredibly big feel a certain responsibility to reach as much of their base as possible?

Do I need to say that the time to play stadia has come again, if indeed it ever went away? This, for U2 a simple choice, would have made a world of a difference for all ticket problems I have mentioned in my earlier thread. With more availability scalpers and ticket brokers would be less inclined to try to make money off a U2 tour, the way they're doing, now. However, this would not eliminate the problem, because U2 can, as they have done in the past, sell out stadia. I have a proposition to make that would make it fairer for real U2 fans: Why not put all the announced shows on one leg on sale the same day, the same hour. I know ticketmaster would be overloaded, but wouldn't it make all the U2 fans buy tickets at their nearest venue, before trying to get tickets for other cities? Think about it, with the way it's now, people from California are trying to get tickets for Florida because they have the time and because, once fans have been shut out from their local venue, many are willing to pay extra for it. If it would be done this way, you could still go and see U2 on multiple dates, via friends, release of additional tickets as the date nears, or a (fortunately weakend) eBay/scalper/ticket broker avenue. But, wouldn't it be nicer to know that every city you see them in would, first and foremost, include local fans in the audience?

I'm sure that the majority of fans at every one of their shows is local, what you read posted on message boards generally is from the most avid fans, and many are willing to travel to see them play. Nevertheless, this board (and all other U2 boards) only make up a tiny fraction of their fanbase. Most U2 fans are not nearly as rabid and will only see the band if they come to a reasonably close venue. So I think what you see people doing on these boards is not indicative of what the average fan is willing to do.

And on a more personal note, I think stadium shows would suck donkey balls. :madspit:

Um. I like the idea of selling all shows onsale at the same time (at least within a time zone...). But I also like to meet people from all over and travel to see U2 in other cities too. Maybe that makes me rabid, but I don't care. :wink: Knowing everyone around me is a "local" is no benefit to me. These tours are like church for me...and they only come around every 5 years or so!

u2girlcj said:
These tours are like church for me...and they only come around every 5 years or so!

You only go to church every five years or so? Right on! My kind of girl!! I think it's been decades since I've gone, so you still have to work a bit to catch up though. :D

If you'll recall RedRacer the last time U2 played Tampa Stadium it was less than half full. They may be able to sell out Stadiums in NYC or LA but I don' t think they could in Tampa.

Lisa71 said:
If you'll recall RedRacer the last time U2 played Tampa Stadium it was less than half full. They may be able to sell out Stadiums in NYC or LA but I don' t think they could in Tampa.

Hence why they should return to the Joshua Tree Tour format of stadium shows in markets that can support them and arenas elsewhere.

You think people are bitching about nosebleed seats now.... :ohmy:

Axver is right. Thank you.

It's late. I gotta go to sleep.

I'll leave arguing with the stones for tomorrow.

But thanks to all of you for your thoughts - some for your outright admittance of your selfishness. It's much easier when you're clear on what you're dealing with.

RadRacer said:
The tour (elevation) is considered a grand success, but when you look at the facts, it did not make as much money as PopMart and saw many fans left out, despite the fact that they played more dates.

Is that right?

I thought the profit margin on Elevation was much higher, considering the vast amount it cost to put on each popmart concert.

Plus many of the popmart concerts were far from sold out.

Ticket prices were also higher on Elevation compared to popmart

feel free to correct me if im mistaken on this.

Hence why they should return to the Joshua Tree Tour format of stadium shows in markets that can support them and arenas elsewhere.
This is common sense. I can't believe U2 havent worked this one out yet.

Dear Ellay,
Thank you for your reply. I want to answer you, but find myself puzzled by some of the things you threw out.

I thought the profit margin on Elevation was much higher, considering the vast amount it cost to put on each popmart concert.

Plus many of the popmart concerts were far from sold out.

Ticket prices were also higher on Elevation compared to popmart

1. The profit margin on Elevation may have been higher, but Popmart was far from a loss. Are you in it for the profit margin, or for spirit??

2. Ok, so some Popmarts were far from sold out, but at least they didn't leave fans who wanted to see them out in the cold. And a less than sold out show is only a boon for fans. You get to come closer in the GA! Let the "real U2 fans" that don't want to see 'em on that kind of show stay at home.

3. What are you trying to say? Every fan likes the lowest possible ticket prices... except you perhaps??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Also, Sken, thank you for your support. If there were more of us, U2 would get this to their ears, and we might have a longer, better Vertigo Tour, and certainly a kick-ass next tour. I'd be so happy to be there with so many like-minded U2 fans.

I was just questioning the statement you made about the elevation tour not making as much money as the popmart tour.

The Popmart tour was longer and had larger capacity crowds... Only the first leg had some shows that were far from sold out...

I agree with the above about sell-out shows leaving fans in the cold! U2 are proud of themselves with selling out Elevation and Vertigo, but with smaller venues and less shows this is easy!

Sure U2 are a large band, but R.E.M. for example are touring European festival's again this summer after their 'normal' tour of last year... They play more shows and serve móre fans... This is also a good thing! Sure it's cool to shout out that you're still important with a good selling album and a sell-out tour, but there are other ways...

Neilz,
I couldn't have said it better. I wish more people would read this, because they need to awaken from their sad vegetative state of glorifying the deceptive labels that are thrown around U2, about their current success and sold-out shows, and look at the facts on the ground.
They're just too caught up in the details of the current show dates. This is obvious when an unlucky guy like this gets caught up in it, too:
Sadly whispered by 4EVRU2
Just had to say it again: Listening to City of Blinding Lights, the one song I really looked forward to hearing Live, and feeling really, really depressed 'cos I won't get to! This sucks so much!!
I wish it didn't hurt so much, but it really does. I'm trying to just focus on school and my kids, etc., but I can't help but get caught up in all the hype and it just makes me more painfully aware of what I'm missing...

Thanks for letting me vent... (don't care if this isn't the appropriate place)

I think people who are constantly talking about the intimate experience of U2 should open their mind a bit to the actual benefits received from a stadium show as opposed to the drawbacks from not having an arena show.

Ecstatically spoken by 8rattoon
I saw U2 from the back corner of Foxboro stadium for the Popmart tour. Not really sure how it compares sizewise to Copenhagen's venue, but it held about 72,000 seats I think. Granted, the intimacy was not there, but it was cool to be able to see the entire crowd mobilize with synchronized clapping during New Year's Day, for example. On that tour, visuals were also very important, and the further back one sat from the stage, the more the perspective of the enormous screen improved. Most importantly, the sound was fine.
Really, the only thing you are sacrificing, IMO, is proximity to the band, which varies greatly from person to person in value anyway.

I have seen U2 in a stadium (Tampa Stadium 3 times) and I've seen them in an arena. I prefer the arena. However, I don't HATE a stadium. I think the point is that U2 can't afford to play to a 1/2 empty stadium. No matter how rich they are it isn't fair to them to have to loose money on something.

Also, for whoever said that the tour only had 1/2 empty stadiums on the first leg is wrong. I saw them on the 3rd leg of Popmart and Tampa couldn't even get 1/2 a stadium full.(Other shows on the 3rd leg were similar) I think Tampa and central Florida have tons of U2 fans but its' just not a market that they can fill up a stadium on anymore. That's a fact in a some parts of the country. However, in places like NYC or LA they probably could fill up stadiums, which would be fine. If they did a mix that would be cool, but for them, they prefer to do it this way.

There are other ways to get tickets. I know several people that have bought (for face value) tickets on this site as well as a yahoo group (WIRE). It's not impossible. You just have to look and also put up messages where you can that you looking for tickets. That's what I did last tour and went to every show I wanted. Also, ticketmaster keeps putting tickets on sale for the dates that are even "sold out". The week before the show they usually release a 1,000 or so. Just keep looking. It works, you just have to try.

Lisa71 said:
I have seen U2 in a stadium (Tampa Stadium 3 times) and I've seen them in an arena. I prefer the arena. However, I don't HATE a stadium. I think the point is that U2 can't afford to play to a 1/2 empty stadium. No matter how rich they are it isn't fair to them to have to loose money on something.

Also, for whoever said that the tour only had 1/2 empty stadiums on the first leg is wrong. I saw them on the 3rd leg of Popmart and Tampa couldn't even get 1/2 a stadium full.(Other shows on the 3rd leg were similar) I think Tampa and central Florida have tons of U2 fans but its' just not a market that they can fill up a stadium on anymore. That's a fact in a some parts of the country. However, in places like NYC or LA they probably could fill up stadiums, which would be fine. If they did a mix that would be cool, but for them, they prefer to do it this way.

There are other ways to get tickets. I know several people that have bought (for face value) tickets on this site as well as a yahoo group (WIRE). It's not impossible. You just have to look and also put up messages where you can that you looking for tickets. That's what I did last tour and went to every show I wanted. Also, ticketmaster keeps putting tickets on sale for the dates that are even "sold out". The week before the show they usually release a 1,000 or so. Just keep looking. It works, you just have to try.

Good points here. The great myth is that you can't get tickets for the arena shows because of scalpers/demand/Ticketmaster/etc...

Fact is, for at least 5 of the last 6 shows, tickets were made available at FACE VALUE the day of the show! Most of these shows had GA tix available as well!! It just takes effort...some risk comes with it, but from the people I've talked to, you can get into most "sold out" U2 shows this way.

On top of this, to imply that U2 is somehow being unfair to it's fans by choosing arena venues is absurd. There are pros and cons either way they tour (arena vs stadium), but I do think this is the best way financially for the band and ultimately performance-wise for the audience.

Lisa,

I don't want them to play a stadium in Tampa. I want them to play a stadium wherever in Florida they want to. I'll drive there. They should figure out (through modern market research) where best to book the gig, where most fans will be glad to travel, and I'll be there, together with thousands. All I'm saying is that, the way it's going, I couldn't get my hands on any ticket I could afford, because everytime an arena show goes on sale, everybody from all over the country is logging in to buy. With a stadium, there is more to sell, and a better chance for me to get into my beloved GA.

I'm not an egotist, but I think I see the facts down on the ground, and I choose to say it like it is. I want U2 to be happy doing what they're doing. For all I care, they can play intimate arenas wherever they see fit. Heck, they can play the St. Pete Times Forum, here in Tampa, and if I don't have a ticket for it, but at least have one to a stadium show somewhere in Florida, I'm satisfied, I'm AT PEACE.

I see you agree with this strategy of booking venues intelligently. I don't mean to be annoying, complaining without end and to no avail. I'm not into wasting my time. It may well be that U2 REALLY want to do this tour low-scale. However, if they just don't know about the problems this causes (if there was a way for them to truly not know), if enough people sympathize with my view, I'm sure U2 will listen.

I'm still looking on ticketmaster. I've put up messages on U2tours.com and other websites (I should also try that yahoo group, I suppose - thank you for the tip).

Last but not least, Thank you very much, Lisa, for your reply. I appreciate it, I really do.

Walkon,

Sure, I'll be there the day of show, if it has to come down to that, scoping out the possibilities, just like I've been doing since day 1.

To you, what are U2 shows about? You are in favor of arenas and probably have a set of reasons as to why. I, for one, believe that it's just a little cruel to become this big of a band, have so many millions of fans hanging on every word, and then on your pinnacle decide to do two arena tours in a row. (Even the stadia leg in Europe is insufficient to even remotely cover demand.) And, on top of that, the tour is shorter than the "flop" Popmart.

Why don't U2 just have a press conference right now where they admit they're just playing games and fooling around, and drop that shit about being the biggest rock band in the world, if that's the way they play.

Nevertheless, Walkon, thank you for your reply. It was informative and conducive to more discussion.

RadRacer said:
Walkon,

Sure, I'll be there the day of show, if it has to come down to that, scoping out the possibilities, just like I've been doing since day 1.

To you, what are U2 shows about? You are in favor of arenas and probably have a set of reasons as to why. I, for one, believe that it's just a little cruel to become this big of a band, have so many millions of fans hanging on every word, and then on your pinnacle decide to do two arena tours in a row. (Even the stadia leg in Europe is insufficient to even remotely cover demand.) And, on top of that, the tour is shorter than the "flop" Popmart.

I'll probably see you in one of those box office lines come 3rd leg...:)

It's not that I favor arenas (although I admit they're pretty cool). As a matter of fact, I really wanted them to play stadiums this tour. There just isn't any reason to call 4 people "cruel" because they didn't plan this tour to the liking of certain individuals. I'm sure I'm not the only one who isn't taking it personally.

Why don't U2 just have a press conference right now where they admit they're just playing games and fooling around, and drop that shit about being the biggest rock band in the world, if that's the way they play.

Nevertheless, Walkon, thank you for your reply. It was informative and conducive to more discussion.

Again, this is purely your own opinion. And a very negative one at that. Still, if your only proof is "They aren't playing stadiums"...well, it just seems more like a personal gripe then an actual disservice.

You asked what a U2 concert is for me. I'd pretty much give my right arm to go...even though I've seen them 3 times, once already this tour. In the end, though, they're 4 guys who make great music. It's a wonderful show, very cathartic and uplifting...but along with the good you take some bad. Bad being ideas/decisions the band makes that I might not be too thrilled with. It's a give and take...but I'm still a fan.

Hope this doesn't seem attacking or anything...just furthering the convo.

Quality vs. quantity.

Only shows as big as PopMart and Zoo TV could hold a crowd that big. They will obviously change something for the shows in Europe.

i honestly hope they never cave into the demands of the fans. Its been a running theme in other threads: They need to do what they want to do and we need to respect them for that. They could easily play stadiums, play a set list determined by the fan base from that city , or play a catalog of their greatest hits, nd of course play 'streets' the way everyone wants it and not take any political-spiritual stand and just rock. They would do just fine.

But for what?

To be like the rolling stones, or the eagles, or Kiss who exist only to fill up stadiums to make sure they cash in for one nights work, ...to relive days gone by. I thank God U2 always does things for themselves first (it doesn't make them jerks, it makes them artists)...

They don't tour only for us. I for one am glad for that. I am glad to pay to see them 'work'.

I think they have addressed the point of playing stadiums in markets that could support them by playing multiple dates. They are playing 6 large arena shows in Chicago, 5 large arena shows in Boston, and freakin 8 shows in Madison Square Garden. North American arenas are far superior to the modern football stadiums for concerts. Several of the stadiums they played on Popmart don't exist any more and have been replaced by newer stadiums that are set up to have the majority of the seats along the football sidelines. Very different than soccer stadiums of Europe and the rest of the world. For those that haven't seen a show in Staples center or one of the new arenas around the US, the sound is quite good compared to the old shoe boxes like the San Diego Sports Arena. Europe doesn't have the proliferation of high quality arenas like North America does. They are also playing North America in the spring (early spring in many cases) and fall into late fall..almost winter. Not exactly great odds that the weather will cooperate.

For those that are having trouble with tickets, I can't understand it. I got more tickets this tour through TM than I ever have...I have friends that have gotten into every single show so far with a GA ticket that was purchased the day of the show for face value. It's not that hard. Concerts are NEVER sold out.

cmb737 said:

For those that are having trouble with tickets, I can't understand it. I got more tickets this tour through TM than I ever have...I have friends that have gotten into every single show so far with a GA ticket that was purchased the day of the show for face value. It's not that hard. Concerts are NEVER sold out.

Ultimately, this is the point. If people can just walk up the day of the show and grab some of the best seats in the house, how can the band be "cruel" or "playing games"?

While U2 does not want to shut out a large portion of the American fanbase from the shows, they also do not want to go through the media circus they went through on POPMART when they got tons of negative media about the shows to include the fact that many of the stadiums failed to sellout, even if 40,000 out of 50,000 tickets were sold, it was seen as a failure by the media for some strange reason. The POPMART tour "WORLDWIDE" was the 2nd highest GROSSING tour in history when it ended in March 1998. Today it is the 5th highest, just recently surpassed by the Vertigo tour which has just started by has already soldout almost all its tickets for every show this year. The 31 STADIUM shows in Europe this year will GROSS 155 million dollars. These stadium shows were all soldout in minutes or hours. The North American Arena shows will GROSS 135 million dollars. They may add a few shows in Europe to insure they cross the the $300 million dollar mark before the end of 2005.

So far Europe is obviously underbooked, despite the fact they are playing only stadiums there to 55,000 people per night at 90 dollars a ticket. Europeans have been locked out of shows there, but U2 must return to the USA and spend more time there, because the decision was made to play Arena's. This was a safe decision given what happened on POPMART and it ensures great media coverage with so many concerts selling out well in advance.

Still, its obvious that even at an average price of $100 dollars a ticket, there are so many markets in the USA where the band could be playing stadiums even at that price. If the band would cut the average ticket price down to $60, they could easily do a Stadium tour in North America with ZOO TV levels of attendance. The problem is that it appears that putting on Stadium shows has become much more expensive than it was in 1997. Even the Rolling Stones decided to only play a limited number of stadiums and stayed in Arena's and Theaters for most of their last tour. Normally, ticket prices are lower in stadiums because of the greater number of tickets that can be sold, but Stones tickets for their few Stadium shows were on average about as high as they were for the Arena shows.

A place like Tampa Bay sold out in less than 30 minutes. Nearly 20,000 tickets gone in less than 30 minutes at an average ticket price that was nearly double that of POPMART. The band could definitely play a stadium show in Tampa with demand that heavy. They could sell at a minimum 40,000 tickets by the time that show rolls around in the fall.

Boston 7 Arena shows, New York City 10 Arena shows, Philadelphia 4 Arena shows, Washington DC 2 Arena shows, LA 6 Arena shows, Chicago 6 Arena shows, San Francisco Area 4 Arena shows. Most of the shows in these cities soldout in minutes and most of these cities could add more shows proving that Stadiums, likely multiple stadium shows could be done.

But in the Rock business, its always a better buzz to have shows "SOLDOUT" rather than have shows that are 80% to 90% filled, despite the size of the venue being played.

Originally spoken by WalkOn
I'll probably see you in one of those box office lines come 3rd leg...
Cool. I won't be in California, but we're already bound by a bond that goes deeper than your average concertgoer :wave:
But, the likes and don't-likes you're talking about... It's not like I'm arguing about the setlist, the set design, the clothing, the length... Whatever they choose to do, even to fuck up, I enjoy. BUT to decide that you want to play smaller concerts to help the fans who you've got now more of than ever, reeks of something bad, to me. Maybe it helps not to picture the four lads as being the bad guys; how about McGuinness? SOMEBODY :scratch: - would be interesting to hear the band's reply.

Personally? I don't take it personally, at all. U2 don't know me; they're not trying to hurt me. I'm convinced, however, that many are feeling this same negative impact of U2's actions - maybe just haven't thought about it, yet - and so we're not just talking about "certain individuals" U2 should or shouldn't accomodate. I'm only voicing this because I'm still trying to make some sense of it, and nobody is making proper sense of it. So, I keep talking. As long as I got cool people like you, who want to "...just further the convo" :hug:

And you, my friend, you wanted them to play stadia. Do you know how few people say this on this forum? Everybody's like: "Intimacy!" :rockon:

Xellente,

To be like the rolling stones, or the eagles, or Kiss who exist only to fill up stadiums to make sure they cash in for one nights work, ...to relive days gone by. I thank God U2 always does things for themselves first (it doesn't make them jerks, it makes them artists)...

They don't tour only for us. I for one am glad for that. I am glad to pay to see them 'work'.
Wow... What you just said makes me respect KISS so much, all of a sudden. Just have them come out to the fans that still love them. And that "relive the days gone by" aspect is also something admirable. Think about it. For an artist to come out and do something that he has already done and may not necessarily want to do again, but only do it because the people who are attached to it are still around on the planet (of course, KISS probably make a lot of money, too). Now, THIS I call work, and I admire the one who makes that effort. I don't know anything about KISS, but to imagine that these guys could try to recapture what they once had, every time, sounds - let's use the word - noble.

~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~

Cmb,

Last time you boasted of knowing avenues to get tickets you still attached your email address. I emailed you. I guess your spam filter ate it.

The part about buying tickets the day of show. That's seriously on my agenda if nothing works out till then. Still, seems a bit 11th hour to me. Is that really the way it's always been, the way it's gonna be, the way it is BEST, and most INTIMATE?

Look at the arenas down here in Florida. They sold out in a couple of minutes after they went on sale. Sure, U2 can put on 8 dates in the Forum, but - I'd bet on this - there won't be a shortage of people looking for them, every day one goes on sale. If they would really put them up for sale the same time of the same day, we're talking fair. Choose your day and throw the dice, and you'll probably walk away with a good offer, and then you can look for more, trade, travel, and become a groupie, whatever.

Sting2,

Ey, yo, Sting, man :bow: , where have you been :sad: ? Where do you go? What do you like to talk about? Tell me a little about a cool guy like yourself :rockon: I felt that it was the way you said it, but I didn't have the knowledge you do.

I think a whole large section of this forum should read this. This is the reality of it. U2 have done Elevation; they've done intimate. Vertigo is too big - they should step up. Like you said, demand determines that. And how about all you others in this thread, talking about U2 should do what they want: don't you all agree we can DECIDE what is a successful tour, and what is not, instead of having the media TELL US?! Let us, the fans, and U2 judge, by what we say was a great tour, and let the media and the non-U2 fans not even enter our equation. This is between us and the band.

I know lots of you believe that U2 are doing the right thing with an intimate Vertigo show, but I feel there are many others like me who've been shut out :silent: Don't you wanna look around to your brother and sister U2 fans and help them out? :help:

Originally posted by Chizip
and for the people trying to derail this thread, i dont unserstand why we cant talk reasonably about ticket prices
No we can't, because people don't want to read, and they're only interested in derailing and chit-chatting.

Ultraviolet353:
I appreciate it when Bono thanks us for giving the band a great life, but a real thank you would be to lower ticket prices a bit. $194 for a lower level seat at the back of the arena is crazy. Oh, and U2 also gets a cut of the ticketmaster fee as well (fact).
People hate and don't read posts / replies that are more than 1 paragraph long (fact).

~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~ ~

If you're interested in the dialogue, as well as the original idea, here it is for you.

RadRacer said:
Lisa,

I don't want them to play a stadium in Tampa. I want them to play a stadium wherever in Florida they want to. I'll drive there.

why not just use the money your willing to spend on gas towards your ticket ? anyhow I guarantee that you can find a ticket for $100 or less before or on the day of the either from a scalper or the box office/ticketmaster and your seat will be alot closer then what you would get in a stadium, so whats the problem? Seriously you've had four years to save up $100 , if it was that important to you there would be no problem.

Back
Top Bottom