4 Big U2 Fans I've Spoken To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's definitely weird 'cause I remember hearing this exact same talk when Achtung Baby came out. People said, "that's not U2", "What it this crap?"As mentioned above, some 80s U2 fans were repelled when AB came out and I find a lot of those fans loved the last two records.

For me I love UF - Pop but really don't like anything before UF or after Pop until now. Except, Kite and Sometimes You Can't....

I wish I could feel 100% like this...but I just can't, simply because I care about the band too much, so I want to see them be as successful as possible, especially when they make a great album...so yes, obviously it's about whether I like it or not, that comes first. But there's also a part of me that can get really frustrated when people don't like the album or when U2 doesn't succeed commercially. I know it's weird, but I can't help it :shrug:

You don't know what U2 want or think. I feel they didn't make this album for mainstream radio, there is not much single material on there, but it will be an interesting live album and the tour will be very successful. U2 haven't sold that many albums in recent years, they are mainly successful as a live band and it's good that way. Most casual fans don't know what they have released in the last years, they know some songs from the 80s and maybe Beautiful Day and that's it. I've stopped caring about other people's opinion a long time ago because I find so much hate for the band that I cannot do nothing about. I love them and their music and that's the positive thing I hold on to, I don't let this be destroyed by the opinion of people who have no idea, especially not those who are spoilt by the music on today's radio and charts.

I don't understand why there's a need for some people to post here about the informal polls they've taken, like we're supposed to read it and say "Oh, well if those four people don't like it, I guess it's not that great."

I find it somewhat interesting to hear what non-Interference people think of it, but don't feel the need to post a new thread saying "You guys, four people don't like it and they're big U2 fans!"

My personal experiences with friends:

Fan #1: casual fan. Knowlegable musician who isn't talking out of his butt. GOYB reminds him of Vertigo.

Fan #2: huge fan, but more of their older stuff. Wishes they could be more like they were in the 80s. Does not like GOYB.

Fan #3: big fan, didn't like GOYB when she first heard it, then it grew on her. Heard Magnificent on the radio and liked that one much more right off the bat.

What do you do with that information? You take it in, you comment as appropriate as you would with a friend in conversation about anything else. It doesn't mean anything beyond "this is their opinion, it does not affect mine."

:shrug:

Well U2 have sold a fair amount of albums recently I think. 12m ATYCLB, 9m for Atomic Bomb? Correct me if I'm wrong or the figures are the other way around.

It's definitely weird 'cause I remember hearing this exact same talk when Achtung Baby came out. People said, "that's not U2", "What it this crap?"As mentioned above, some 80s U2 fans were repelled when AB came out and I find a lot of those fans loved the last two records.

For me I love UF - Pop but really don't like anything before UF or after Pop until now. Except, Kite and Sometimes You Can't....

Then you're not a real fan :|

:wink:

I have played the album for three casual fans, all who love it and say it sounds like the "old U2" they used to love. Everyone is going to have a different interpretation of the album. Even if they hated it, I'd still love it so it doesn't really matter, I'm just enjoying the new music and sharing it with people who are music fans.

...sing along to.

That's the whole thing about NLOTH. It isn't sing along. It isn't catchy. The songs don't try to please. They just are. (But the songs are beautiful. It's brillant.) I thought about some people might having a big problem with this album because of this. I guess I was right. Well, nothing I can do except feel sorry for those people.

To me, still a top 3 album.

That's the whole thing about NLOTH. It isn't sing along. It isn't catchy. The songs don't try to please. They just are. (But the songs are beautiful. It's brillant.) I thought about some people might having a big problem with this album because of this. I guess I was right. Well, nothing I can do except feel sorry for those people.

To me, still a top 3 album.
Agreed.

For every one (or four) negative anecdotal comments, there will be an equal (or greater) number of "I played it for my 'casual U2 fan' friend and he/she liked it" comments.

In the end it really only matters what YOU think about it. You don't need to validate your opinion with friends, fans, the press, strangers on the street.

i just played BREATHE for a friend of mine in my car....he loved it. casual u2 fan at best.

its all about the person/situation

So far, four people I've talked to that are big U2 fans do not like GOYB except one person. But all love Magnificent from the first listen.

And also, I played "Boots" for two old school U2 fans that lost interest after Rattle & Hum and they love it. Like someone else said, it's going to depend on the person.

Each of them have played the album about 10 times and each of them have said they "dont know what to make of it","boots is a terrible song","theres no classics on the album" and in general "the album is fairly poor" and they were "dissapointed". How can the opinions im hearing from friends differ so much from in here?.

Whaaaaaaaat?...poor?.never!

I wish I could feel 100% like this...but I just can't, simply because I care about the band too much, so I want to see them be as successful as possible, especially when they make a great album...so yes, obviously it's about whether I like it or not, that comes first. But there's also a part of me that can get really frustrated when people don't like the album or when U2 doesn't succeed commercially. I know it's weird, but I can't help it :shrug:

This is just absurb. Really. So-oooooooooo obtuse.

How can people's opinions differ so much? Maybe—and this might be a tad crazy—but THEY'RE OPINIONS NOT FACT. Too often people spout their opinions as fact, when we all know that music cannot be measured this way.

Think of of the human ear like a tongue. Each ear is as different as the human tongue and its taste buds, with its discriminating palate. This is why you'll get a wide range of OPINIONS on the new U2 album or any other music.

Not sure if that made sense, but starting these threads is ridiculous, because the ear likes what the ear likes. OPINIONS, so long as they are informed ones, are never wrong.

:shrug:

I have a friend who is a big U2 fan but hes not the type to go on interference... anyway he loves the album and thinks it kicks the shit outta VLV (and he likes Coldplay).

two comments later and the coldpay bashing starts again.

PATHETIC!

For me this is definitely a top 3 album. It doesn't try to please but instead it tries to seduce with its complexity and for lack of a better word purity. The songs seem to come from creativity instead of wanting to be relevant. I was very quickly bored with HTDAAB and put it aside. There was something artificial about it that is nowhere to be found on this record.

I guess it doesn't matter what other people think.

It just seems kind of no win with some U2 fans.

U2 makes a album with big songs, they lose....they sold out.

They make an album that is a bit challenging, and it's not catchy enough?

Just enjoy the music. Other people may not like it, but that's OK

who cares what other people think ayway. You are the one listening to it.
I love the album. Still feel boots is a pathetic first single but suiting on the record.
Glad I was proven wrong after hearing that song.

Your U2 friends must be tone deaf..........Bono has never sound so good on record as this and this album is so radio friendly its unbelievable. Loads of melody, great riffs, great lyrics, Eno and Lanois have had a fantastic album.

Are you sure you're not just trying to provoke outrage.......what do U2 fans want..........this is better than anything out there and I doubt anything better will be released this year.

This is right up there alongside JT and AB. Too many damn good songs on this album to call it poor.........blimey we've got a fantastic song like Breathe as track 10.......

Amazing - people may not like this album? I'm assuming that supposed "Huge U2 Fans" who aren't into NLOTH probably have very little adventurous taste in music and generally keep it safe.

All that matters is I like NLOTH. Couldn't care less what others think. I also like the color blue as opposed to red, fruity pebbles over cocoa pebbles, junior mints over peppermint patty's and NLOTH over HTDAAB. Opinons - we all got em.

Back
Top Bottom