28 pages of U2 in Q Feb 2009 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EXACTLY.

I have no doubt that it'll be great...I just want to keep myself grounded and let the music lift me up instead of getting over-inflated unreasonable expectations that will surely be burst.

if you want to stay grounded, maybe you shouldnt frequent the interference forums. hyperbole will def be running amok here

Nope, I'd forgotten that one. I am always thinking about the "beach clips" from summer 2008 that were actually recorded on the beach.

Don't think so. Breathe is older than "Stand up" which Bono says was written just a couple of months ago. I think the song with the chorus "Walk out into the streets" is "Breathe", it has been around for some time now and was mentioned by band members quite early in the process.

But surely, Beach Clip #2 is NOT the greatest song U2 has ever recorded.

Unknown Caller makes me think "Lemon". I think it might have a Lemonesque theme of technology bringing people together/driving people apart, although I doubt it will as arty as Lemon (I doubt it will use quasi-sexual poetry to drive the point home).

I hear "reboot yourself" and "you're free to go" in the chorus

Yeah, that and there are some numbers in the lyrics.

This is one of the songs that came out of the Fez sessions, I think most of us recognised the Morrocain influences when we first heart this clip, Edge says it's the one with the birds in the beginning.

Beach clip 1 is almost certainly unknown caller, especially if you listen to the lyrics during the fez part of the here is what is clip.

think we'll get scans? i need to read this...not sure its out in the U.S. yet

I really like every lyric, except possibly the "Unknown Caller" one. I guess I just have to trust that the band knows what they're doing. Still, it's frightening to imagine that a cheesy lyrical theme could ruin a chorus followed by an Edge guitar solo like that.

On the other hand, I guess it is cool that Bono is experimenting more lyrically. It sounds like this one will be less personal than HTDAAB, which I think may be the direction he should explore at this point.

Really though, this is sounding fantastic. I'm glad COL is still its own song.

You know what? I want to hear what Danny Lanois' favorite song is. I'm tired of hearing about Eno and MOS and Breathe. Let's hear what Lanois and even Lillywhite think, shall we?

Oh and... :drool::drool:

Wow, I can't wait to get scans of this. Without having heard either, I think I'd be a tad disappointed if the layered NLOTH was dropped.

The "Tripoli" song is from the Lanois "Here Is What Is" documentary, right?

Bono with guitar singing, "In old Tripoli..." as Eno and Lanois clap their hands?

Wow, I can't wait to get scans of this. Without having heard either, I think I'd be a tad disappointed if the layered NLOTH was dropped.

yeah, hopefully they made the switch because it fits the album better.

Got these descriptions from a blog: Uninhabited Spaces: The Q on U2's New Album

Q previews many of the new songs as follows:

"Magnificent"
Classic U2-isms, echoes The Unforgettable Fire (1984) opening track "A Sort Of Homecoming" in its atmospheric sweep.

"Crazy Tonight"
Straight-up pop.

"Stand Up"
Swaggering, wherein U2 get in touch with their, hitherto unheard, funky selves - albeit propelled by some coruscating Edge guitar work, a signature feature of a number of the tracks.

"Get Your Boots On"
Instantly striking, a heaving electro-rocker that may mark the destination point the band had been seeking on Pop (1997)

"Winter"
Featuring a fine Bono lyric about a soldier in an unspecified war zone, surrounded by a deceptively simple rhythm track and an evocative string arrangement courtesy of Eno

"Unknown Caller"
Stately, recorded in Fez and opens with the sounds of birdsong taped by Eno during a Moroccan dawn.

"Moment Of Surrender"
A strident seven-minute epic recorded in a single take, sounds like a Great U2 Moment in the spirit of "One".

"Breathe"
Eno suggests it is potentially both the best song the band had written and that he had worked on.

More details here:
http://www.u2star.com/blog/u2-news/u2-inside-the-new-album.html

I really like every lyric, except possibly the "Unknown Caller" one. I guess I just have to trust that the band knows what they're doing. Still, it's frightening to imagine that a cheesy lyrical theme could ruin a chorus followed by an Edge guitar solo like that.

I look at it this way...for me, every U2 album has at least one or two songs that I really can't stand. It would be really great if this one didn't have a song like that...but for me that would be too much to ask for because I'm pretty particular about certain songs. But thats just me.

If I had to guess which song might be a stinker for me, just by what I've read (and I know we have yet to hear a song) I probably would bet on "Crazy Tonight" just because it was described as being a "straight up pop song". that scares me a bit. None of my favorite U2 songs could be described in that manner, so it scares me. We'll see if my guess is correct come March.

Just from the description you can tell the songs are going to be a departure from the last 2 albums. I just feel a AB 2.0 coming.

I'm just ready for the single :drool:

When I tried to subscribe it starts with the March issue. I guess I got to wait till Febuary to get a copy.

Where can you get this issue in the States? I looked at Subscription prices for the US and it's a bit ridiculous $100+ US. I'd rather spend that money on the tour.

It's usually available in Barnes and Noble here in Dallas, although, not for a couple of weeks after it's released in England. :mad:

EXACTLY.

I have no doubt that it'll be great...I just want to keep myself grounded and let the music lift me up instead of getting over-inflated unreasonable expectations that will surely be burst.

This has been my ongoing concern from all of the Lanois hype.

Tower records has it near where I live. My Barnes and Noble have it sometimes. I am tempted to see if Rolling Stone is going to put something out soon. Maybe after the album comes out.

so if "Unknown Caller" is actually beach clip 1, that means that this song follows an epic "One" sounding song. :drool:

Get on Your Boots
Demented electro grunge with rock and roll riff and a hip-hop twist ind the middle.........."I dont wanna talk about war between nations"

I can't hear any hip-hop twist in the beach clip for GYBO, so has it changed since the the summer? Is beach clip 5 'Crazy Tonight'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom