2016 Rumour Dates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've read that book and that's not how it went down. No one thought of Zooropa as anything more than a EP until Bono said "we might have ourselves an album here". Also keep in mind AB was huge. New album or not, U2 were in a good position to get a good record deal.

In contrast we have a 20+ years older band, coming off an album overshadowed by its method of release, and, all due respect to Song for someone, without a hit single for the past two albums. I'm surprised they're even considering a follow up 2 years later already, let alone postponing the tour dates to get it done. I only hope the next tour Europe is played, they remain in arenas.

Right, because precious 90's U2 would never make a business oriented decision, they were too pure, artistically, to do that.

The book clearly states Paul wanted a new album to put U2 in a position of power for the negotiations. I never said that was the ONLY reason they recorded an album. However, I do believe it was a huge deciding factor when the decision was made to release an album instead of an EP.

U2 still didn't have a great record deal during the late 80s/early 90s, at least not what a band of their stature should've had. What they did have was the rights to their songs, and a percentage of ownership in Island Records. Paul saw this as an opportunity to get the band a really good record deal. At the time that was still how artists made most of their money.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

Right, because precious 90's U2 would never make a business oriented decision, they were too pure, artistically, to do that.

The book clearly states Paul wanted a new album to put U2 in a position of power for the negotiations. I never said that was the ONLY reason they recorded an album. However, I do believe it was a huge deciding factor when the decision was made to release an album instead of an EP.

U2 still didn't have a great record deal during the late 80s/early 90s, at least not what a band of their stature should've had. What they did have was the rights to their songs, and a percentage of ownership in Island Records. Paul saw this as an opportunity to get the band a really good record deal. At the time that was still how artists made most of their money.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interferencek

Re-read. The main instigator was Edge having nothing to do with his marriage falling apart and thus making music, and Bono going along with it.
I'm sure McGuiness liked having an extra fresh album but nowhere is it said he wanted them to make an album just so he could wave it off in the record exec's faces. The Paul McGuinness wanted a new album to use as leverage in the negotiations theory is not coroborated in the book.

U2 were already in a position of power with 3 big selling albums in a row and in the middle of a monstrous tour. What record label is crazy enough to let the biggest band on the planet go ?

Re-read. The main instigator was Edge having nothing to do with his marriage falling apart and thus making music, and Bono going along with it.
I'm sure McGuiness liked having an extra fresh album but nowhere is it said he wanted them to make an album just so he could wave it off in the record exec's faces. The Paul McGuinness wanted a new album to use as leverage in the negotiations theory is not coroborated in the book.

U2 were already in a position of power with 3 big selling albums in a row and in the middle of a monstrous tour. What record label is crazy enough to let the biggest band on the planet go ?

Ugh, I can't find the book. That's gonna drive me nuts!!! Perhaps I was incorrect, but I do remember Bill writing something about the new album putting Paul/U2 in a position of power for the negotiations. I remember Paul even entertained a few propositions from other record companies, even though they always did intend to stay with Island/Polygram. But you're probably right, I'm sure he didn't say "MAKE ME A NEW ALBUM, GOD DAMMIT!! I NEED LEVERAGE!!!" Certainly U2 being the band they were was all the leverage they needed.

Now that you say all that stuff, I recall the parts about Edge throwing himself into the work because of his failed marriage. Bono did as well, just because he's Bono. I recall Ali being quite pissed at him for spending so much time away from home, especially with 2 very young children at home. Adam was too busy gallivanting with super models during that time, from the sounds of it!

I'd like to know how much of Zooropa was leftover from AB session. It's amazing how songs like "If God will send his angels", "Wake up dead man", "HMTMKMKM" were left off of Zooropa. I think Zooropa is a great album as it is, but those 3 songs might've made it a little more commercially appealing. Apparently that didn't matter to them. I want a damn Zooropa re-issue with those recordings on the 2nd disc!!! Also, let us hear "In Cold Blood"! Rant over.

Lisbon's Meo Arena is booked between 01-07-2016 and 04-07-2016 for U2 shows. But it's already admitted that this may change because of SOE. Otherwise, tickets will go on sale before Paris shows.

Last edited:
Lisbon's Meo Arena is booked between 01-07-2016 and 04-07-2016 for U2 shows. But it's already admitted that this may change because of SOE. Otherwise, tickets will go on sale before Paris shows.

What?! An arena is booked for 3 months of U2 shows? And then they told you it could change "because of SOE"?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Honestly I'd rather they kept touring than finish SOE. Tour dates are a commitment they can't back out of, and provide the best experience for fans. I'm afraid they're going to postpone this European leg and still not finish the album. The more time they have, the more time they have to deconstruct all the work they've done and start from scratch. It's what they do...

Last edited:
:facepalm: oh that always trips me up.

But how did they admit it can be cancelled because of SOE?

A source told Blitz, local music magazine.
If they go ahead with the plans, tickets will be on sale before the Paris shows, so if there are no official news until then, I think we can assume they will really focus solely on SOE.

A source told Blitz, local music magazine.

If they go ahead with the plans, tickets will be on sale before the Paris shows, so if there are no official news until then, I think we can assume they will really focus solely on SOE.

:hmm: this has to be one of the more baffling rumors of U2's career. I know they've made a lot of fumbling decisions the latter part of their career, but this just seems completely idiotic even for them. If this rumor has any validity I wonder if there is some other reason beyond just the album?

:hmm: this has to be one of the more baffling rumors of U2's career. I know they've made a lot of fumbling decisions the latter part of their career, but this just seems completely idiotic even for them. If this rumor has any validity I wonder if there is some other reason beyond just the album?

Do you mean it wouldn't make sense because they'd be losing the momentum that the tour has (along with squandering the publicity of the HBO broadcast)?

My thinking would be that if they're actually scrapping tour plans to work on SoE, then what we're essentially getting is 2 smaller, separate album/tour cycles, instead of one big one.
It might mean ruining the momentum they have now, and if they were planning on SoE and the next tour legs tying in nicely to SoI and the tour so far, then it would have worked out better to release SoE now-ish and tour sooner.

... But if SoE simply isn't done/they're not happy with it, and they also aren't happy about touring without new material for much longer (i.e. in keeping with their recent talk of wanting a new album out soon), then maybe it does make sense to push the tour back and focus on completing SoE?

Do you mean it wouldn't make sense because they'd be losing the momentum that the tour has (along with squandering the publicity of the HBO broadcast)?

My thinking would be that if they're actually scrapping tour plans to work on SoE, then what we're essentially getting is 2 smaller, separate album/tour cycles, instead of one big one.

It might mean ruining the momentum they have now, and if they were planning on SoE and the next tour legs tying in nicely to SoI and the tour so far, then it would have worked out better to release SoE now-ish and tour sooner.

... But if SoE simply isn't done/they're not happy with it, and they also aren't happy about touring without new material for much longer (i.e. in keeping with their recent talk of wanting a new album out soon), then maybe it does make sense to push the tour back and focus on completing SoE?

Yeah, they've barely reached their normal touring audience, it's a very well received tour so far, and to take what seems like most of the year will kill the momentum. No matter what we all say about u2 they don't need that amount of time to wrap up an album that they've already started playing songs from for people. I just wonder what's going on in their heads.

Man, that's a very good point - i've seen nearly universal acclaim for this tour, even from sources i'd assume have every reason to find it rubbish (NME, pitchfork type publications), and it does seem a very abrupt end to the cycle if they're finished after the paris shows.

... Maybe they'll return with a very similar tour, albeit bulked up with SoE material? They can continue the same(ish) well reviewed tour, visit all the places they've missed this time round, it'll just be delayed by a year. They'll lose the momentum, but have the 'heart' (if that makes sense), plus a new album.

Blueskies theory about them touring arenas throughout most of 2016, releasing SoE at the end of the year then doing stadiums now seems like it would've been the most sensible option. It is very weird that they'd just scrap very justifiable arena shows in 2016 and essentially just disappear, but maybe they just are that keen to have a new album out?

It's very imperfect, but it reminds me of them releasing Invisible in the loudest way possible, but then when asked about the actual album, getting all quiet again. Another moment of wasted momentum, but if they're not happy with the work they have/had, doesn't make sense to push forward in the same direction.

I'm torn here...

I think it would be dumb to stop touring right now after just two legs when they clearly left a lot of demand out there and have an incredible live show

But at the same time, I'm going to be annoyed if they put tickets on sale dead smack in the middle of the holiday season yet again.

Soooo here's hoping they announce but don't put tickets on sale till February

Wonder what the chances are of them doing extra Dublin shows next year, if they do tour again? I know they don't tend to revisit Dublin when they do second European legs, but this might be a bit different given how epically demand has outstripped capacity for the Dublin shows?

Wonder what the chances are of them doing extra Dublin shows next year, if they do tour again? I know they don't tend to revisit Dublin when they do second European legs, but this might be a bit different given how epically demand has outstripped capacity for the Dublin shows?

If there does end up being a stadium leg to this tour at some point, Dublin will most likely be on there. Be it at Croke Park or Aviva Stadium. Same with Amsterdam, Paris, and several other cities. This year they barely scratched the surface as far as meeting the overall demand.

I wish they'd just come out and say what their plans are.

I'm still holding out for the extremely rare kunstmuseum show..... :hyper:

To pause touring a big part of 2016 in order to finish SOE does not really make sense if we recall what Edge said. Didn't he suggest they try to finish SOE in the first months of 2016 and then will release it when "appropriate"?

So, let's say they really finish the new album in March... decide to release it in September.. what's the logic behind .. not touring for months.. having a finished album in hands waiting to be released?

I don't really get it... maybe the Paris shows in Dec are the last iNNOCENCE gigs and they need time to design the eEXPERIENCE tour

Last edited:
While seeing the first iterations of the E-stage there was some here thought that it resembled a member..... you have to wonder what the experience stage will look like.

To be honest, while I absolutely adore stadium U2 gigs, last night was extra special due to the smaller size of the venue - personally I'd hope they'd do the 3Arena again as opposed to somewhere bigger.

Difficult one for them obviously, having to balance demand with the atmosphere they want for the gigs. They could always take up a ten day residence at the 3 :D :D :D

If the tour is really not resuming / starting again for 9 months, I just hope the tour dates are announced soon, even if they're not put on sale for a couple of months. Anticipation / planning is part of the fun, especially if you have to want to travel overseas.

Last year they were announced on December 3 ftr.

I'm torn here...

I think it would be dumb to stop touring right now after just two legs when they clearly left a lot of demand out there and have an incredible live show

But at the same time, I'm going to be annoyed if they put tickets on sale dead smack in the middle of the holiday season yet again.

Soooo here's hoping they announce but don't put tickets on sale till February

This, basically. Although I would slightly lean toward being OK with tickets going on sale soon and keeping things as-is. Despite this being the worst year of my life with a major loss, I've never had such a good time at a U2 show as I did this summer. I loved everything about it, and overall I prefer to be "indoors" at smaller venues. I loved getting great GA spots without sleeping on the curb, I loved being energized for the show and not having to stand there for hours and suffer an opener. I loved the stage setup, I loved the setlist. Best shows I've been to even if I wasn't ever in the front row on the main stage. I guess I'd rather have them keep going and keep the stage set the way it is, for arenas, even if I have to do some voodoo magic in order to afford more tickets right now...

Didn't Bono say in the u talking u2 to me podcast that at the end of this year he may have surgery in his hand? maybe that's another factor to take into consideration :hmm:

And I think that those Lisbon dates are part of the European leg from May to July that got scrapped according to the latest rumors :sad:

Last edited:
Or they could take thiz tour to Glastonbury 2016 as the last time they played there it was a total wash out it didn't rain it poured down....!!!!!!!!

Or they could tour SOI in arenas in the southern hemisphere (Australia :wink:) in the 1st half of the year, follow it up with the release of SOE, touring that album in the northern hemisphere, late in 2015-2016.

I like this plan, more shows for me :applaud:

Or they could take thiz tour to Glastonbury 2016 as the last time they played there it was a total wash out it didn't rain it poured down....!!!!!!!!

They will never ever play glastonbury again, that is a fact!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom