2016 Rumour Dates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have it on good authority that U2 will be playing at Pontiac Silverdome next year.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

U2tour.de/U2Start.com both claim no Europe dates next year. Instead band wants to complete SOE first and then proceed with the US dates in Autumn next year.

Allegedly stadiums are also a possibility.

Last edited:
U2tour.de/U2Start.com both claim no Europe dates next year. Instead band wants to complete SOE first and then proceed with the US dates in Autumn next year.

But what if the album isn't finished by the time of the US dates?

But what if the album isn't finished by the time of the US dates?

Then they'll delay things further. U2 are very used to delaying album releases.

When I became a U2 fan in the summer of 1995, of course my first thought was "When is a new album coming out?" I got Passengers in the fall (to my 13 year old ears it was not what I was hoping for), but all signs seemed to point to fall 1996. I waited patiently, sometimes not-so-patiently. Then came the article I read that stated U2 pushed their album back to March of 1997. I was devastated! I couldn't believe it, what could take so long to release an album? Luckily, the album did release, the Popmart Tour happened, and I forgot about my frustration.

HTDAAB was the same way, delayed an entire year from their original intention. That was rough. The 2006-7 Rubin album never h happened. NLOTH was delayed from Fall 2008 to Spring 2009. Then there was SOA, and the painful U2 drought of 2012-13. Then came SOI, and the WTF nature that was U2 in 2014.

Now we're dealing with SOE. They're canceling tour plans to finish an album that was supposedly ready for release a few months ago. I don't even worry about it anymore. I'm not 14 anymore, and I have more to live for and more to occupy my mind. Enjoy it when it does come out, and I guess just be happy that U2 are still actively recording and performing.

I can see a North American arena tour fall 2016, and then stadiums in South America, Australia and Europe in 2017.

Or it's because U2 can't tour Europe in the summer of 2016 because Coldplay are doing a European Stadium Tour next summer!! ;)

@U2enEspana says that the European leg was set to happen between may-July and that venues were already booked and they decided to finish SOE instead, that the decision was taken before the Paris shows...

Considering this is U2 we are talking about I think that fall 2016 will become fall 2017/spring 2018 for SOE :sad:

@U2enEspana says that the European leg was set to happen between may-July and that venues were already booked and they decided to finish SOE instead, that the decision was taken before the Paris shows...

Considering this is U2 we are talking about I think that fall 2016 will become fall 2017/spring 2018 for SOE :sad:

For real. People need to prepare themselves for the fact that SOE isn't going to happen. It might. I'd say right now the odds of it being released are 70/30, but that could easily become 0/100. This is eerily familiar to 2010 right now. "Maybe, we'll see..." indeed. And I know what you're thinking, they now have a whole bunch of time to work on SOE. True... they also have a bunch of time to undo all the work they've done on it. It's U2... all scenarios are possible. An album 2 years after SOI would be an unexpected, welcomed BONUS. I know we can't be mad about the postponement of a tour that was never announced, but that does suck for the European fans.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that if they are indeed touring in fall 2016, tickets will have to be put on sale like 6 months in advance. So I guess we'll see around May...

U2 tour plane was in Liverpool earlier today, unsure if this has any connection with future dates? checking out the echo arena?

For real. People need to prepare themselves for the fact that SOE isn't going to happen. It might. I'd say right now the odds of it being released are 70/30, but that could easily become 0/100. This is eerily familiar to 2010 right now. "Maybe, we'll see..." indeed. And I know what you're thinking, they now have a whole bunch of time to work on SOE. True... they also have a bunch of time to undo all the work they've done on it. It's U2... all scenarios are possible. An album 2 years after SOI would be an unexpected, welcomed BONUS. I know we can't be mad about the postponement of a tour that was never announced, but that does suck for the European fans.

This really isn't anything like 2010.

For real. People need to prepare themselves for the fact that SOE isn't going to happen. It might. I'd say right now the odds of it being released are 70/30, but that could easily become 0/100. This is eerily familiar to 2010 right now. "Maybe, we'll see..." indeed.

Indeed. I'm starting to suspect the 2018-2020 timeframe.

I'm going to be optimistic (for a change) and say sometime in 2016.
U2 tour plane was in Liverpool earlier today, unsure if this has any connection with future dates? checking out the echo arena?
Maybe someone else is using the plane?

The U2 Airplane is charted to U2 meaning that "other people" can use it also when the band aren't. On the US Leg of the i&e tour some American college sports team chartered it in between gigs.

The U2 Airplane is charted to U2 meaning that "other people" can use it also when the band aren't. On the US Leg of the i&e tour some American college sports team chartered it in between gigs.

Ah fair enough, was just clutching at some very small straws

What happened to the u2 that recorded and completed zoopora during the zoo tv tour :-(

Here's a little something most people don't know about Zooropa. My source is Bill Flanagan's book "U2 at the end of the world", best book about U2 I've ever read.

In early 1993, U2 began working on an EP, 5-6 songs to keep things fresh while the Zoo TV tour went into it's second year. Island Records had just been bought by Polygram, and it was time to renew U2's record contract. Paul McGuinness wanted a new album to use as leverage in the negotiations. Like "hey Polygram, I know U2 is Island's Golden Goose, and I have a new album by them ready to release. If you don't give us what we want, I'm going to shop around and find someone who will".

U2 ended up flying back to Dublin after the European gigs in order to finish the album, which didn't actually come out until halfway through that European Tour. Most of the songs were not played live on that summer tour, as U2 hadn't had enough time to work up live arrangements of the songs. The entire Zooropa recording process is heavily documented in this book. I'm not saying the release of Zooropa was ONLY a business decision, but it certainly persuaded U2 to crack down and turn an EP into an album.

It's not only that U2 were fast workers in 1993, and went with their gut. The truth is Bono and especially Edge worked VERY hard to get those songs ready to be released, which is why Edge has a production credit.

It must be said, however; U2 had a lot of guts in the 90's to put out the work they did. It's all great in my book, and their experimentation was mostly successful. But it could've also been a huge flop. Part of that is just being ambitious, ballsy young men vs. being super-rich, super comfortable middle aged men.

Here's a little something most people don't know about Zooropa. My source is Bill Flanagan's book "U2 at the end of the world", best book about U2 I've ever read.

I would say this book is probably well read in here, or at least it used to be.

I would say this book is probably well read in here, or at least it used to be.

I'm sure it is. I was just saying this for the benefit of those who haven't read it, telling them that they should. It's so good, it's one of the things that really cemented me as a U2 fan for life. That and Pimm's book "U2 Live", which I also bought at the book store the same day, roughly 19-20 years ago.

a54337dc69a9db390b57b6291f641893.jpg

In early 1993, U2 began working on an EP, 5-6 songs to keep things fresh while the Zoo TV tour went into it's second year. Island Records had just been bought by Polygram, and it was time to renew U2's record contract. Paul McGuinness wanted a new album to use as leverage in the negotiations. Like "hey Polygram, I know U2 is Island's Golden Goose, and I have a new album by them ready to release. If you don't give us what we want, I'm going to shop around and find someone who will".

U2 ended up flying back to Dublin after the European gigs in order to finish the album, which didn't actually come out until halfway through that European Tour. Most of the songs were not played live on that summer tour, as U2 hadn't had enough time to work up live arrangements of the songs. The entire Zooropa recording process is heavily documented in this book. I'm not saying the release of Zooropa was ONLY a business decision, but it certainly persuaded U2 to crack down and turn an EP into an album.

It's not only that U2 were fast workers in 1993, and went with their gut. The truth is Bono and especially Edge worked VERY hard to get those songs ready to be released, which is why Edge has a production credit.

It must be said, however; U2 had a lot of guts in the 90's to put out the work they did. It's all great in my book, and their experimentation was mostly successful. But it could've also been a huge flop. Part of that is just being ambitious, ballsy young men vs. being super-rich, super comfortable middle aged men.

We've read that book and that's not how it went down. No one thought of Zooropa as anything more than a EP until Bono said "we might have ourselves an album here". Also keep in mind AB was huge. New album or not, U2 were in a good position to get a good record deal.

In contrast we have a 20+ years older band, coming off an album overshadowed by its method of release, and, all due respect to Song for someone, without a hit single for the past two albums. I'm surprised they're even considering a follow up 2 years later already, let alone postponing the tour dates to get it done. I only hope the next tour Europe is played, they remain in arenas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom