2014 FIFA World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was sad. Our guys were incredibly exhausted, and Germany could have scored 3 easily had they really been trying.

Can't complain too much about advancing and getting one extra rest day though.

That was sad. Our guys were incredibly exhausted, and Germany could have scored 3 easily had they really been trying.

Can't complain too much about advancing and getting one extra rest day though.

I doubt Germany wasn't "really trying." I don't think teams who are competing a spot don't really try.

Germany was trying. They just didn't have their foot on the gas. They were on cruise, it's a marathon not a sprint.

Germany was essentially making sure the US did not beat them. They would settle for a draw, but today we saw them playing a possession game in order for their offense to generate a defense (Germany's one weak spot). So instead of trying to force goals in and potentially expose their defense on the counter, they played it easy with the possession game.

It's not the same as not trying. Far from it.

Germany was essentially making sure the US did not beat them. They would settle for a draw, but today we saw them playing a possession game in order for their offense to generate a defense (Germany's one weak spot). So instead of trying to force goals in and potentially expose their defense on the counter, they played it easy with the possession game.

It's not the same as not trying. Far from it.

I think Germany could easily have piled more guys forward (especially in the first half) without compromising their defense too much.

Even though they were tired, Dempsey nearly put in a header at the end to tie it.

Belgium is down to 10 men against South Korea...it would take a bit, but Algeria could win the group. They are losing though. South Korea would need to win as well.

But they don't have much to make up in GD. Belgium is +2, Algeria +1...interesting 2nd half!

I think Germany could easily have piled more guys forward (especially in the first half) without compromising their defense too much.

Germany's defense is their weak point. If they "pile guys forward" that's the only way the US would score. There was simply no opportunity in this game for a counter attack, which the US was relying on.

Bend it any way you want... the German decision to not play aggressively was not a decision of rest. It was a decision of guarantee.... if the US didn't have a thin German defense to counter on, there was absolutely no way the Americans would score a goal. And if the Americans don't score, Germany secures #1 in their pool. That's all they were worried about.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I really really hope we get to see France-Germany in the quarterfinals, and Netherlands-Argentina in the semis. I think the winner of France-Germany (should we get that match) will be the winner of the Cup.

BrF61MwCQAACaiT.jpg:large

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not going to defend looney Suarez's mental action in any way, but was his challenge REALLY worse than, say, De Jong's tackle against Alonso in the 2010 final?

I've seen far worse in football: John Terry's tackle on Milner comes to mind, or Simunic vs Suleimani, etc. the list goes on

I mean, why deliberately ramming your boot studs into your opponent's ankle or knee, and thus approving the end of his career (or in DeJong's case his life, even) won't carry an equally exemplary penalty is far beyond me.

If Suarez gets a 9 match ban, I don't see a single reason why Defour or some of the other pricks mentioned above, don't!

If Suarez gets a 9 match ban, I don't see a single reason why Defour or some of the other pricks mentioned above, don't!

Because a tackle, regardless of viciousness, is part of soccer. A bite is not. Same as in hockey, a dirty check to the head wouldn't be as harshly penalized as if someone tried to cut someone's arm with their skate blade, even though the consequences of a hard hit to the head can be MUCH more dangerous.

I'm sure a large part of it is public perception and how such things play out in the media but it is what it is. I'm fine with what he got.

What boggles my mind is how heavily people in Uruguay are defending Suarez, basically saying "shit happens in soccer" in so many words. They see it as FIFA picking on a small nation to please the large TV and business markets. People don't deal in reality.
Wright Thompson -- Uruguay comes to defense of Luis Suarez - ESPN FC

Plus it's the third time he's commited this particular offense. Penalties, suspensions and fines clearly do not dissuade the man.

Football isn't even a contact sport like NFL, it's more akin to basketball on contact terms.

How many times could you sink your teeth into a co worker and expect to be hired elsewhere?

Seriously, fuck Suarez and fuck FIFA. The man deserves a lifetime ban at this point. And when all he gets is a 4 month ban from a maximum of 24, FIFA have sent out an unambiguous message to other young, talented players.

I still say De Jong should've been heavily penalised after that kick, it was horrible and had no place in football. But it's of a different caliber than biting someone,, not just once, twice but three times. :doh: Add to that the racist remarks vs Evra, and it's just clear there's something mentally wrong with Suarez. He needs help.

At least Mel Gibson didnt deny the visible things he said. Rightly condemned from hollywood he was. Suarez racially abuses his coworkers to their face, bites others (!!!) and then denies it, all followed by a slap on the wrist and the unflinching support of his team and countrymen. Banned through October he may be, he's still drawing a £100k a week wage from Liverpool? Fuck that shit, sack the fuck for being an animal and ban him from the game forever.

I can't speak for the rest of the blatant cheating that marrs the game, but Suarez is an extreme case that demands an extreme response.

Hi Dave:wave:
I know you mean. But I wouldn't call DELIBERATELY stepping onto your opponent's ankle, who is sitting on the floor, a tackle, or part of the game.

I'm aware that a vicious tackle can cause unwanted injuries, but if it is clear that YOUR ONLY INTENTION is to hurt your opponent, that you don't even plan to go for the ball, or if you're acting behind the refs back, I can see absolutely no difference to Suarez's behaviour.

Just to make this clear again, the 9 match ban is totally justified, Suarez fully deserves it, but there are others who deserve(d) the same penalty, as well, if not more, in my opinion. If that's not the case, I will still call it double standards.

And how many mass brawls have we seen in hockey? Dozens. Fist fighting surely isn't mentioned in the rule book as 'part of the game', yet nobody was ever banned for 9 matches, there.

Looking for a scapegoat to cover up your own failure has a long tradition in football. For Uruguay it's the FIFA, for Russia it's the laser pointer, for Italy (against South Korea) it was bad refereeing, etc etc It's something that boggles me, as well. Suarez got no one to blame but himself, really.

But DeJong should have been given an equal time to think about what exactly he's doing in football, as well, don't you agree?

Who cares about de Jong? It was four years ago. We're talking about an asshole who's playing now, and how weak the governing body is for not coming down on him. Totally agree with MS, how much terrible shit does one player have to do before someone punishes him properly?

How many times could you sink your teeth into a co worker and expect to be hired elsewhere?
:lol: Good one!

Hi cobl04:wave: It surely is disgusting, and I totally agree with MS, as well!

But that's exactly my question: How many terrible shit does one player have to do before someone punishes him properly?

In the case of Suarez, they did for once. And that's a good thing. But why do others (like the ones I mentioned) get away? Suarez wasn't the first one to racially abuse others or to commit a disgusting foulplay.

That's very simple. Because of the FIFA's fucked up rules.

De Jong was awarded a yellow card by the referee. The rules state that when a foul has been noticed and penalized by the ref, it cannot be redone. The ref missed Suarez' foul, so it could be penalized by the FIFA. It's fucked up and stupid, but that's the FIFA's rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom