2007 Grammy Awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and it's over...

the 3 thing's I liked:

1 - Christina Aguilera's performance... OH. MY. GOD.
2 - Stewart Copeland's drumming
3 - Stevie Wonder getting emotional I think when they won the first award... he couldn't get up of the chair
4 - The Police / Sting's jump at the end

NOTHING ELSE

EDIT: ok, 4 things

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
they're so brave. they've sacraficed so much to get to this point. tear drop

Well, they did recieve death threats...that's worth something. At least a free pizza.

I'm going to have to listen to my iPod to drown out the horribly contrived mojo of tonight.

And of course YouTube The Police performance again.

Opinions of mine that were fortified tonight:

Justin Timberlake is legit
RHCP is completely overrated
John Mayer can fucking play
Dixie Chicks get unnecessary sympathy
James Blunt sucks
Scarlett is smoking hot

I think they're brave for continuing to do their thing and not back down after receiving death threats.

But yeah, not brave for speaking their minds.

you said george bush is a doodie head while in england... wooooooooo

cry me a river...

heck... bono standing up to the IRA's a hell of a lot more brave than what they did, ya don't see him whining about it every 5 minutes.

Headache, you're seriously starting to give me one. :|

you said george bush is a doodie head while in england... wooooooooo

cry me a river...

heck... bono standing up to the IRA's a hell of a lot more brave than what they did, ya don't see him whining about it every 5 minutes.

Okay, okay, okay. But the whole record was made in response to this incident and everything that followed afterword. The CD crushing parties...everything. You can't expect them to completely ignore the reason they made the CD. And the fact that they were once unpopular and are now winning Grammys for their work.

It would be interesting to tune into Rush tomorrow for the incoming phone calls. :wink:

As I've said before, my attitude towards the Dixie Chicks is "You go girls!" But I wonder if them winning so much WAS a political statement, especially against country music radio and Red State America for demonizing the Chicks.

Then again, maybe I spend too much time at DailyKos (popular left-wing blog) these days! (Their readers are very happy about the Chicks' wins, BTW).

I don't think the Dixie Chicks got a sympathy vote. Their last two albums were widely hailed as super-duper. And rightly so.

My reaction to The Police? STING, OMG I LOVE YOUUUUUUU!!!!!

:love:

inmyplace13 said:
Opinions of mine that were fortified tonight:

Justin Timberlake is legit
RHCP is completely overrated
John Mayer can fucking play
Dixie Chicks get unnecessary sympathy
James Blunt sucks
Scarlett is smoking hot

:up: to all six of those.

i'll just repost myself and end my rant on why i'm sick of listening to the dixie chicks go on and on about how their free speech was violated...

it has nothing to do with their musical ability, which i respect... i just see nothing "brave" about alienating your core fan base and then complaining about it.

freedom of speech is a two way street. you have the right to say whatever you want, but in return your audience then has the right to either agree or disagree. that a bunch of redneck country music listeners were turned off by their comments is not exactly something you needed dr. steven hawkings to figure out. they did nothing "brave."

nelson mandela is brave. aung san suu kyi is brave. rosa parks is brave. the dixie chicks? not so much.

i want my points back :flirt:

worst grammys EVER...

don't get me wrong the performances of everyone were awesome, but the dixie chicks did not definently have more popular songs/albums then JT, Gnarls Barkley, Mary J., red hot chili peppers, etc.

Man this sucks

corianderstem said:
Headache, you're right, but death threats shouldn't fall into the free speech category.

:up:

I guess you'd have to be in their inner circle to appreciate what they've gone through, but I imagine it was a lot. Sure, they maybe dwell on it a bit, but an award like this is validation that speaking out and raising your voice isn't a crime--it's a right.

It's not about popularity, people vote for the winners. (which I guess contradicts the first half of that statement, but you know what I mean. What's most "popular" doesn't mean it's going to win. Whoever votes for these are often pretty out of touch.)

Do we need to start a new thread?

PS: The Grammys always suck. :wink:

angelordevil said:
Sure, they maybe dwell on it a bit, but an award like this is validation that speaking out and raising your voice isn't a crime--it's a right.

I dunno ... I really don't think they won as some kind of statement. I think they won because it was a very good album. It got great reviews. They won on its merits.

(And possibly the lameness of the Grammy voters, but that's subjective. :wink: )

I think the Chicks showed courage at the time of the incident considering what the atmosphere in this country was like at that time. And as other posters have said, they did receive death threats.

I didn't think their album was all that, but it was a fairly weak bunch of nominees this year.

I prefer their previous album by a big margin, but this new one is still good.

Ooh, John Legend. Looooove his new album.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom