(12-01-2004) Poll Finds Christians More Concerned About AIDS Crisis -- ANS*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Poll Finds Christians More Concerned About AIDS Crisis

By Jeremy Reynalds
Special Correspondent for ASSIST News Service

SEATTLE (ANS) -- Two years after U2's Bono challenged American Christians to become engaged in the AIDS pandemic, a new survey reveals a small but significant increase among evangelicals willing to donate money to help and support children orphaned by AIDS.

According to a press release issued by World Vision, the poll found that 14 percent of American evangelicals definitely would be willing to donate funds to AIDS education and prevention in sub-Saharan Africa and other regions devastated by the disease.

It also indicated 17 percent of those surveyed would help children orphaned by AIDS. These statistics are much higher than in 2002 when the same poll found 5 percent and 3 percent, respectively.

The new survey revealed that 12 percent of Americans in general were willing to donate money to help prevent AIDS, and 13 percent interested in supporting children orphaned by AIDS.

“The needle is moving in the right direction, but we -- Americans overall and Christians -- still have a long way to go,” said Richard Stearns in a press release, president of World Vision, which commissioned the survey.

The survey of 1,009 people was conducted by the Barna Research Group over two weeks in late Oct. and early Nov. The margin of error is 3 percent.

President George W. Bush promised $15 billion over five years to fight the epidemic. While the action is welcome, much more will be needed, Stearns said.

“This crisis is too big for the U.S. Government alone. It requires action from all sides -- businesses, individuals and people of faith,” Stearns added in the same release.

World Aids Day is Dec.1. Additional information about World Vision’s programs to help those suffering from AIDS may be found at
www.worldvision.org/worldvision/app...pen&lid=readmore_wad&lpos=home_aidsribbontext

World Vision is a Christian relief and development organization dedicated to helping children and their communities worldwide reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty. World Vision serves the world's poor -- regardless of a person's religion, race, ethnicity or gender.

For more information, visit www.worldvision.org.

As a Christian, it's hard to read these numbers. They're disgustingly low.

Everyone who reads this, Christian or not, please do SOMETHING to fight AIDS. Get involved politically, give money or pray. We all need to do our part. Bono's on to something with his fight against AIDS. We should be too.

coemgen said:
As a Christian, it's hard to read these numbers. They're disgustingly low.

Everyone who reads this, Christian or not, please do SOMETHING to fight AIDS. Get involved politically, give money or pray. We all need to do our part. Bono's on to something with his fight against AIDS. We should be too.

Very, very true.....we can stop it......if we try.

In commemoration of World AIDS Day, and in honor of Bono's work to eliminate AIDS, I think we should all sign the ONE petition, or if you already have, get someone else to. This can be done by visiting Bono's AIDS organization, data.org.

Here's some info lifted from the site.

"Africa has been hit harder by the HIV/AIDS virus than any other region of the world. More than 25 million Africans have HIV. Today on World AIDS Day, 6,300 people in Africa will die of HIV/AIDS and another 8,500 will become infected with the virus. Tomorrow, the cycle will repeat itself. The African continent is losing an entire generation of teachers, nurses, farmers, mothers, and fathers, already leaving behind 12 million orphans. What can we as Americans do to help? ONE hundred thousand of us have joined the ONE campaign in a historic pact of compassion to help the poorest people of the world overcome AIDS and extreme poverty. YOUR voice does make a difference and can help save lives -- please sign the ONE petition today!"

God bless.

Bono has done SO MUCH for the awareness and actiivsm of people worldwide in regards to the AIDS pandemic in Africa.:wink:

But, ultimately, it comes down to what you and me DO in regards to raising awareness and our own activism in regards to the AIDS pandemic that is as important as what Bono does.

Here is some of what each one of us can do to be PART OF THE CHANGE in regards to Global AIDS that we want to see in the world:

http://forum.interference.com/t105160.html

and, of course, it is not only what we do today, but what we continue to DO EVERY DAY that will create the positive changes in the lives of the millions of people who die NEEDLESSLY from AIDS due only to their poverty.

THANK YOU, BONO, FOR EVERYTHING THAT YOU DO TO CREATE A BETTER FUTURE FOR OUR WORLD....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

"Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, healing every disease and sickness. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few." "

A modern day leprosy is what it is.

As an activist I have tried really hard to reach out to the Christian community. I couldn't even get them to sign the One Petition. They all think we're out for money. I did finally get one church to agree to a presentation. They offered to send used clothing, books and toys to an orphanage in Africa. THEY DIDN'T EVEN LIVE UP TO THAT PROMISE. I understand what Bono means when he said that getting through to Christians is like getting blood from a stone.

Sorry to hear that, Secretagentwoma, but all churches are not the same - they are as good as the people in that church.

I have had mixed results reaching out to the churches in my area.

But the lives and the futures of thousands of African communities is too important for me to give up!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom