(10-12-2006) Oprah and Bono to unveil Product Red iPod nano tomorrow - Apple Insider*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Oprah and Bono to unveil Product Red iPod nano tomorrow

By Kasper Jade

Exclusive: Activist and rock singer Bono, with help from Oprah Winfrey and other celebrities, is partnering with Apple Computer on a red-colored iPod to promote his new charity aimed at battling AIDS, AppleInsider has learned.

Both the U2 frontman and the famed talk show host will publicly unveil the new "iPod nano Red" -- a 4GB version of Apple's second-generation iPod nano in a red anodized aluminum enclosure -- on national television this friday.

The two celebrities swung by Apple's North Michigan Ave. retail store in Chicago, Ill. on Thursday afternoon to film a promotional segment for the cause, which will air on tomorrow's edition of the "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

Apple, which has agreed to price the player inline with its existing 4GB iPod nano models at $199, will donate $10 from the sale of each unit to the PRODUCT RED charity.

Created by Bono and Bobby Shriver, Chairman of DATA, the charity aims to raise awareness and money for The Global Fund by teaming up with the world's most iconic brands to produce PRODUCT RED branded products.

Proceeds from the sale of each PRODUCT RED product are donated to The Global Fund, where it goes to help women and children affected by HIV/AIDS in Africa.

Rumors of a red-colored iPod first surfaced when a note in the Jan. 20, 2006 edition of the popular celebrity gossip newsletter stated that Bono was overheard at Dublin's Michelin-starred Patrick Guilbaud restaurant "discussing a new charity red AmEx card and red iPod."

Other companies that have so far stepped up with PRODUCT RED offerings include the Gap, American Express, Armani, Converse, and Motorola.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2134

Thanks to Melody for passing this on!

^Actually, I bet Oprah announces a donation from her Angel Network or something.

Anyone have an idea as to how many of these things they may sell?

I am currently living in Chicago and was awoken this morning by a phone call from my fiancee. She told me Bono was appearing on Michigan Avenue at 9.30.
I cancelled all other plans and headed down to the Gap on Michigan. It was sooooooo cold. It was snowing for pretty much the whole hour we waited.
They arrived at 11ish and went into the Gap store for about 20 minutes. We could see from the security cordon that Penelope Cruz was also there. They came out to say some words for the gathered press and then just started walking down Michigan.
I barged my way out of the group of people assembled and sprinted to try to get close to Bono. I managed to force my way so I was walking side by side with Bono and Oprah. I simply didn't know what to do with all the adrenalin. Bono was looking at me as if I was insane.
Anyway I asked him what the other song would be on the Best of he said it would be called "windows to the ceiling" and that he had just been singing it to Oprah in the car.
I have some photos which I will post later.
This has been an intense few days of luck- yesterday I scored free tickets to see the Stones at Soldier Field!
I'm sorry if this message is all over the place I'm kind of a little excited:wink:

Congrats Btime! I was going to drive up there this morning because I JUST KNEW in my gut that's where they were going to show up and I didn't. It's a 3 hour drive for me. If I had a place to stay up there I would have drove up last night. :(

The only gifts that the Oprah audience received was a RED t-shirt from the GAP. FYI - it wasn't Penélope Cruz @ the Apple Store, it was Alicia Keys.

bosstime said:
I am currently living in Chicago and was awoken this morning by a phone call from my fiancee. She told me Bono was appearing on Michigan Avenue at 9.30.
I cancelled all other plans and headed down to the Gap on Michigan. It was sooooooo cold. It was snowing for pretty much the whole hour we waited.
They arrived at 11ish and went into the Gap store for about 20 minutes. We could see from the security cordon that Penelope Cruz was also there. They came out to say some words for the gathered press and then just started walking down Michigan.
I barged my way out of the group of people assembled and sprinted to try to get close to Bono. I managed to force my way so I was walking side by side with Bono and Oprah. I simply didn't know what to do with all the adrenalin. Bono was looking at me as if I was insane.
Anyway I asked him what the other song would be on the Best of he said it would be called "windows to the ceiling" and that he had just been singing it to Oprah in the car.
I have some photos which I will post later.
This has been an intense few days of luck- yesterday I scored free tickets to see the Stones at Soldier Field!
I'm sorry if this message is all over the place I'm kind of a little excited:wink:

Gosh you were so lucky!!! to get to talk to him, and articulate a question and all LOL.. it was very nice of him to tell you the name of the new song.. i can't wait to hear it!!

Back
Top Bottom